BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS delivery - USA (MB - M-DCT - 2NH - GLD 763M - Cup2) - M3 CS to M2 CS

01-16-2021, 05:00 PM   #1
Gunnerforlife
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17GTI & M4CSL- Ex M2CS & M3CS

M2 CS delivery - USA (MB - M-DCT - 2NH - GLD 763M - Cup2) - M3 CS to M2 CS

I finally got my M2 CS after having a down payment for almost 2 years. I had an M3 CS before that and originally was going to get the M2C, but felt the M3 CS was more special and couldn't pass on the offer at the time. However, fast forward and I still had an eye for the M2 and once I heard about the M2 CS, I put a down payment and after some ADM drama, I got an allocation.

First Impressions-

Looks: The M2 CS in MB looks really special in person. I love how the color change at night. I was worried about the gold wheels fitting in but "when clean" they look great and add to the specialness and fun factor of the car. Compared to the M3 CS, it doesn't take itself too seriously and the front I think is the best in the BMW lineup. Rear M3 CS wins because the M3 sits low and looks a little more aggressive.

Seating position: High in the M2 CS for my liking, dropped it as much as I can, and still feel like I sit high. M3 CS seating position was lower and was more favorable to me. On the plus side visibility is great.

Sound: This one is a tough one because the M3 CS in-person sounds loud and aggressive and I liked it a lot. When it's idling you can hear a rumbling mean sound. The M2 CS on the other hand is too subdued, it's like something is blocking it. Also, no idling sound whatsoever. I don't hear the valve click when it opens like I used to do with the M3 CS when I hit the M button. Under load above 3k starts to get better, but honestly underwhelming. No burbles or crackles which some people don't like but I miss them. Should've sounded more special.

Acceleration: At first, I felt it less urgent and violent under throttle compared to the M3 CS below 4K. I think it just needs more application of the throttle compared to the M3 CS which was very sensitive in Sport +. You can definitely feel Turbo lag a tiny bit more in lower revs in the M2 CS and I'm not sure if this is due to the lower torque. I definitely miss and feel the torque loss and I wish they increased it just a bit on M2 CS.

Braking: M2 CS steel brakes are much better than M3 CS and M2C. Didn't have that much confidence in the M3 brakes on track and street and was going to upgrade it if I kept it. M2 CS brakes great for spirited driving and gives me much more confidence.

Driving dynamics: I think this is why we buy the M2 CS. Everything about the driving dynamics is perfect. the M2 CS size is perfect compared to the M3 CS which felt too big for me. The car steering is more direct than an M2 C and the car feels tighter. M3 CS steering was also very direct but there is an instance where the rear can't keep up. The M2 CS feels like it pivots more. Damping is great and it keeps contact patches better than M3CS on uneven roads. It also feels way lighter under load and braking. I can't even believe that the M2 CS and M3 CS are almost the same weight. It also puts its power down much better and even though I'm on cup 2s and it was kind of cold and wet, I had more confidence than in the M3 CS.

Summary: The more I drive the M2 CS, the more I fall in love. I can't lie but when I first picked it up I was underwhelmed by the sound and acceleration, but once you start driving it in different situations and roads, it just feels so special. The size and nimbleness allow you to have fun at low speeds even just in your lane without going crazy. It's just a perfect sports car. Is it worth that much more than an M2C, that's debatable, but certainly it's way more special and will be IMO a future classic. I can't wait till the end of the break-in period and to take it to the track.

Name:  IMG_4892.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  295.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4891.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  247.9 KB

Last edited by Gunnerforlife; 01-16-2021 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 10
Rev_Hi296.50
Wah2778.50
Davil6524.50
aaa335252.50
Hedoniste3834.00
MDuckie94.50
Poochie9104.50
Artemis29419.00
      01-16-2021, 05:05 PM   #2
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerforlife View Post
First Impressions-
I think this was a real accurate assessment. The car has negatives but the driving dynamics on a scale of 1-10 is like a 15. It makes up for all the weaknesses and then some. It's something that will be hard for anyone else to understand until they drive a M2 CS.
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2021, 09:25 PM   #3
kyrocks
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:
First Impressions-
I think this was a real accurate assessment. The car has negatives but the driving dynamics on a scale of 1-10 is like a 15. It makes up for all the weaknesses and then some. It's something that will be hard for anyone else to understand until they drive a M2 CS.
I agree it needs better sound.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2021, 11:03 PM   #4
bmwghini
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS

Great write up! Fun lil beast
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 02:22 AM   #5
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Congrats and thank you for your feedback !
Didn't have a M3 CS but I agree that the M2 CS feels lighter than F80 even if the weight is similar on paper.
Sure it feels very special and enjoyable despite the muted sound (which can be fixed with an akrapovic).
Appreciate 2
      01-17-2021, 05:18 AM   #6
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
I'm pleased to hear this from an astute observer

Wonderful to see another happy M2CS customer
      01-17-2021, 05:36 AM   #7
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

This thread was added as entry in the first post of the dedicated compilation thread ("BMW M2 CS Delivery Threads").
      01-17-2021, 05:42 AM   #8
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Braking: M2 CS steel brakes are much better than M3 CS and M2C.
I guess your M2C featured standard brakes (blue) ?

OG M2 brakes and standard M2C brakes are identical (blue).

M2 CS 2NH brakes (standard) and M2C 2NH brakes (optional) are identical, except for the caliper color (red versus grey).

BMW/Brembo 2NH front brake calipers (optional on M2C - standard on M2 CS)

Size difference of the 2NH front brake pads (made by Brembo & Pagid for BMW):

Rear:

Differences (video):
      01-17-2021, 07:18 AM   #9
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I guess your M2C featured standard brakes (blue) ?
OG M2 brakes and standard M2C brakes are identical (blue).
M2 CS 2NH brakes (standard) and M2C 2NH brakes (optional) are identical, except for the caliper color (red versus grey).
Do we have confirmation that the pads for the red 2NH on the CS are identical to the grey 2NH on the M2c?
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2021, 09:37 AM   #10
Gunnerforlife
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
This thread was added as entry in the first post of the dedicated compilation thread ("BMW M2 CS Delivery Threads").
Thanks for the information and for adding the post to the delivery thread. Yes, It was the blue caliper. I'm curious to know how did you find out that my car is DCT ?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 11:01 AM   #11
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the information and for adding the post to the delivery thread. Yes, It was the blue caliper. I'm curious to know how did you find out that my car is DCT ?
Processing...

Quote:
I went with the DCT because I had a DCT M3 CS which I always drove in manual. It was very aggressive and satisfying to bang the gears using the shift lever or the paddles. As for jerkiness, it gets better after a few thousand miles, also in manual, it wasn't really a problem.
It's also being discontinued as others mentioned and for me it's still way more superior and engaging compared to a ZF. On top of that, I've heard mixed reviews about how good the M2C manual is.
Quote:
Where are you able to get those deals below MSRP? I'm looking for DCT, but so far everyone I contacted wants MSRP.
      01-17-2021, 06:47 PM   #12
Gunnerforlife
Private First Class
Rep

Lol good one. I see you got it under control ��.
Appreciate 0