BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Rear tail light failure

06-24-2023, 03:58 AM   #177
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

I'm finally giving up with this and looking to get a pair of later updated darkline tail lights.

Has anyone with the newer lights had this problem?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 10:47 PM   #178
kosti365
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
I'm finally giving up with this and looking to get a pair of later updated darkline tail lights.

Has anyone with the newer lights had this problem?
I couldn't find any info on this either so I bit the bullet and bought a pair, hope they are improved.

Part #s 63219491592 & 63219491591 from Cars245.com for ~$410 shipped from Latvia was the best I could find.

Installed for a week so far, threw some generic 7443 LEDs in for the reverse lights. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 01:48 AM   #179
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Thats a good price.

I paid £400 in the UK.

They've been on nearly a week now, will see.

Quite like the darkline look, very subtle.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 08:51 PM   #180
Itr123
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw m235i

Garage List
Just to revive this thread, I retrofitted a pair of lci lights onto my m235i, and the following happens...

https://youtube.com/shorts/lLiabGuyR1A?feature=share

I take it a solution hasn't been found?

I don't understand what I'm supposed to do!? (apart from going back to pre-lci), if I buy another unit, it's literally a case of coughing up the money and pray the same won't happen?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 06:39 PM   #181
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itr123 View Post
Just to revive this thread, I retrofitted a pair of lci lights onto my m235i, and the following happens...

I don't understand what I'm supposed to do!? (apart from going back to pre-lci), if I buy another unit, it's literally a case of coughing up the money and pray the same won't happen?
Yes pretty much.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 01:32 AM   #182
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:

What exactly isn’t right? Turn signal only or other lamps too?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 01:46 AM   #183
Itr123
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
The left indicator, everything else seems fine, just the left indicator. If you look closely it's dimmer compared to the right side, and flickers.

It sorts itself out after I've given the light a whack
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 09:14 AM   #184
Itr123
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
So just a FINAL check in before going back to the 80's looking pre lci rears. Is there ANYTHING I can try?

I did put some led bulbs in the reverse lights?, I'll possible just try changing them back and see what happens. I'm) as suggested on here, try cleaning out the connections with a toothbrush and circuit cleaner.
That's about everything that's been suggested on here as far as I can tell..

Thanks for your replies!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 10:10 PM   #185
gwng8
Rep
Drives: bm

my 2018 mw with under 11000 miles has started erroring. Of course off warranty and extended doesn't cover it.....
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 02:21 AM   #186
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

So I had problems with my rear left indicator acting up when it got constantly wet and humid outside, usually during the fall starting from september. THe rear right have never acted up during my 3 years of ownership. Understanding that this problem is moisture related I tried to combat this by adding gaskets on both sides on the body of the car to seal against the back of the housings, but leaving a space for water to drain. Despite the connectors having an internal seal I decided to add shrink tube around the connectors (were they meet) to really avoid getting any moisture into the connector.
After this the left indicator worked just as intended without hiccups! BUT! We've had a very rainy july here in Sweden and the problem occured again, not on the left side but the right!
The left side was working fine even if it rained basically every day but the right one accted up daily and erratically. When I finally grew tired of the problem I removed the rear right housing and cleaned out the connectors with oxide cleaner, used compressed air to get any moisture out and applied some contact protection. Seeing as my shrink tube around the connector didn't work I looked on the backside of the male connector and where the wires goes into the connector theres gaskets that's supposed to seal against any moisture getting in. I decided to try and put some shrink tube at the back of the connector and towards the wiring. Seeing the size difference between the back of the connector and the shrink tube there's no way it can shrink that much so I had to use some electrical tape as well. If it's good enough for BMW I guess I can use it as well.
Before plugging everything back up I bent the pins very little, odd ones up and even ones down, to add some contact pressure. Even if I don't think this is the cause it doesn't hurt. I plugged everything back up and the rear right indicator worked just fine! Even if it rained a couple of days after my little fix. If the left indicator starts acting up I know what I'll do.

Pictures of how I installed the seal on the body. You can see that I made a "gutter" in an attempt to keep the water from getting towards the ground point. Probably a feeble attempt but it was an experiment.

I also added a gasket on the outisde/top of the housing.

chris7197363.50
Kikuchiyo125.00
      08-17-2023, 02:50 AM   #187
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The left indicator, everything else seems fine, just the left indicator. If you look closely it's dimmer compared to the right side, and flickers.

It sorts itself out after I've given the light a whack
That's exactly how my OE rears started going. Give it a whack and its ok for a few days or weeks then back again.

Are they brand new lights or used ones? Standard or blackline?

When I replaced them with new blacklines recently I broke open the old ones but there was no evidence of any water or moisture ingress.

I'm hoping that as the blacklines are a very different part number they addresses this defect, but we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 02:56 AM   #188
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westersund View Post
So I had problems with my rear left indicator acting up when it got constantly wet and humid outside, usually during the fall starting from september. THe rear right have never acted up during my 3 years of ownership. Understanding that this problem is moisture related I tried to combat this by adding gaskets on both sides on the body of the car to seal against the back of the housings, but leaving a space for water to drain. Despite the connectors having an internal seal I decided to add shrink tube around the connectors (were they meet) to really avoid getting any moisture into the connector.
After this the left indicator worked just as intended without hiccups! BUT! We've had a very rainy july here in Sweden and the problem occured again, not on the left side but the right!
The left side was working fine even if it rained basically every day but the right one accted up daily and erratically. When I finally grew tired of the problem I removed the rear right housing and cleaned out the connectors with oxide cleaner, used compressed air to get any moisture out and applied some contact protection. Seeing as my shrink tube around the connector didn't work I looked on the backside of the male connector and where the wires goes into the connector theres gaskets that's supposed to seal against any moisture getting in. I decided to try and put some shrink tube at the back of the connector and towards the wiring. Seeing the size difference between the back of the connector and the shrink tube there's no way it can shrink that much so I had to use some electrical tape as well. If it's good enough for BMW I guess I can use it as well.
Before plugging everything back up I bent the pins very little, odd ones up and even ones down, to add some contact pressure. Even if I don't think this is the cause it doesn't hurt. I plugged everything back up and the rear right indicator worked just fine! Even if it rained a couple of days after my little fix. If the left indicator starts acting up I know what I'll do.

Pictures of how I installed the seal on the body. You can see that I made a "gutter" in an attempt to keep the water from getting towards the ground point. Probably a feeble attempt but it was an experiment.
I did similar fixes starting in spring 2020 when it began (oct 2018 car), like you it seemed to align with wet / humid weather or after washing etc so it seemed logical it was the connector / wiring. The first time it worked for 6-9 months, then came back, each time I removed the light and cleaned it up the fix lasted for less time, until it was failing every few days, then I realised just giving it a whack fixed it for some weeks or days.

This made me realise it wasn't my previous cleaning / drying etc that fixed it, it was the physical act of removing/replacing the light (like giving it a whack in situ) that had been the fix all along. I tried this by just popping out the light unit by an inch then putting it straight back (no touch connectors) hey presto fixed for a while!

Mainly left side, occasionally right, but whacking either fixed them.

Foam rubber, silicon contact waterproofer, heat shrink, pin bending, all pointles in the end for me.

Then around 3 months ago it got to the point it was failing multiple times on each journey which was ridiculous, so I just bit the bullet and purchased brand new OE blacklines and so far no faults.....

Last edited by doughboy; 08-17-2023 at 03:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2023, 03:54 AM   #189
Itr123
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Out of curiosity, did you guys change the reverse light bulbs to LED's?

That wouldn't have anything to do with it?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 04:00 AM   #190
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Quote:

Happened to me both before and after led reverse bulb swap.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 02:01 PM   #191
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Stock lights for me, so I guess no?
      08-17-2023, 02:07 PM   #192
Itr123
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Well I won't bother with that then lol.

My solution for now is everytime I'm going out, give it a punch before getting. Probably look a tad weird if someone's watching though!.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 02:18 PM   #193
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:

No, happy with OE lamp.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 04:08 AM   #194
Kikuchiyo
Private
Japan
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI, LBB, 6MT

Is it possible for this failure to happen without making an error message popping up on the meter cluster?

My family who was following my M2 in another car told me my flasher was faint and flashing rapidly after getting to a destination. I instantly got what it was all about as I had experienced ii couple times before.
Actually I have got used to it and am not bothered much by it any more just as many of you guys here. However, I hate it happening without making me notice it as it is simply dangerous especially in a heavy traffic during daytime.
      08-29-2023, 10:59 PM   #195
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Update so far - replaced my REM module in June 2022. I have not had recurrence of the problem and I park my car outdoors in all weather.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 02:02 AM   #196
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchiyo View Post
Is it possible for this failure to happen without making an error message popping up on the meter cluster?

My family who was following my M2 in another car told me my flasher was faint and flashing rapidly after getting to a destination. I instantly got what it was all about as I had experienced ii couple times before.
Actually I have got used to it and am not bothered much by it any more just as many of you guys here. However, I hate it happening without making me notice it as it is simply dangerous especially in a heavy traffic during daytime.
Yes if you or previous owner has done the coding out of warm checking then yes it will happen and you won't know.

That's why me and others reverted the coding that some users recommend.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 02:03 AM   #197
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rk-d View Post
Update so far - replaced my REM module in June 2022. I have not had recurrence of the problem and I park my car outdoors in all weather.
That's a good result, looks like you may have had a REM problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 04:29 PM   #198
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rk-d View Post
Whats a REM module? Do you happen to have a part number?
Appreciate 0