BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > BMW Performance Center M2 Wins the 2016 One Lap of America

04-29-2016, 12:22 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW Performance Center M2 Wins the 2016 One Lap of America

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Performance Center to contest the 2016 One Lap of America with the BMW M2
COMMENTS

May 10 Update by Steve Maguire:

Quote:
By Steve Maguire

The 2016 Tire Rack Brock Yates One Lap of America presented by Grassroots Motorsports is in the books and the BMW Performance Driving School Team of Mike Renner and Steve Maguire had an excellent run to 10th overall and 1st in Stock Touring and SSGT1- Small Bore Classes in their BMW M2 sponsored by BMW M Performance Parts and IHG Rewards Club.

The rules for the stock class stipulate no modifications are allowed, only manufacturer accessories may be added, and suspension geometry or engine modifications are prohibited. Therefore, our BMW M2 was configured exactly as you could purchase from your local BMW Dealership with the addition of a few BMW M Performance Parts, including; Front Splitter, Black Grilles, Side Planes, Rear Spoiler, Rear Apron, Exhaust with Carbon Fiber Tips, Adjustable Coil-Over Suspension, and M Body Stripes.

The event started from Tire Rack’s headquarters in South Bend, Indiana a long time presenting sponsor of the event and provider of specially marked tires. Each competitor can only use a maximum of four tires unless a replacement is deemed necessary for safety reasons by the organizers. Also the tires provided by Tire Rack must be original equipment with a minimum tread wear rating of 140. On arrival crews passed through registration and tech inspection to make sure cars were road worthy and crews mostly sane!

This year’s event would visit tracks in the Eastern and Midwestern states over a period of eight days and cover over 2,800 miles with competitors experiencing skid pads, autocross, drag strip, and six race tracks during the event. The variety of cars at the start was amazing, GTR’s, Vettes, Vipers, Porches of various nomenclature including a 918 Spyder, plenty of BMW’s, and even a couple of Crown Vics and an Aerial Atom!

The first competitive event was the wet skid pad at Tire Rack, with not only the sprinklers the wetting surface, but a significant downpour made sure there was standing water to also navigate. Competitors ran two laps in a clockwise direction followed by two laps in the opposite direction with the average G load calculated to determine the winner. Mike ran an excellent 5th overall with a 0.751 G’s beaten only by an Audi TT RS, a Porsche 997TT, a Nissan GTR, and Porsche GT3!

As soon as our run was completed we loaded up the M2 with all our baggage and safety equipment and headed east to Lake Erie Harley Davidson for a passage control and a quick bite to eat, then is was towards Pittsburgh for a few hours’ sleep at the Holiday Inn. Throughout the week our typical routine was to arrive at our Holiday Inn around 11:00pm, catch some shuteye, breakfast at 6:30am with wheels up and heading to the track by seven.

Our first track was Pittsburgh International Raceway, formally Beaverun. The owners have invested heavily in the facility with a new extension, creating a 2.8-mile configuration. At each track we typically run two sessions separated by a lunch break, with each session covering three timed laps from a standing start. Teams will arrive early to walk the track becoming familiar with the geometry and terrain. It helps to do some preliminary homework prior to the event to learn tracks through watching videos or analyzing available track data.

As we brought the M2 onto pit road the heavens opened and soaked the track, handing a big advantage to the AWD vehicles, but playing into our hands against the high horsepower 2WD cars. Mike completed his run in 6:37.476 minutes for ninth overall, while on a drying track in the afternoon he came home 10th overall. We knew the BMW M2 would be competitive, but were surprised just how well the car was performing against some very strong opposition.

It was now time for one of the longest transit sections of the event 557-miles; Pittsburgh, PA to Ware, MA for Mondays’ time trails at the recently opened Palmer Motorsports Park. This track has to go on your bucket list. You have never seen the configuration of a track built into the side of a mountain, big elevation changes, challenging corners, and engine sounds rattling off rock walls make this a totally unique experience. Watching a video of this place does not do it justice!

As has become the norm for the 33rd running of the event, rain was present offering drivers and additional challenge to navigating the track. An eighth place finish in the morning followed by ninth in afternoon solidified our place in the top ten overall along with Nissan GTR’s, Porsches of various configurations, an Ariel Atom, and a couple of heavily modified BMW M3’s.

Back on the road we were heading south to Summit Point, West Virginia, a mere 465-mile drive for Tuesdays track challenge. Though there was a potential threat of rain through the morning, we were blessed with a dry day for a change. Summit Point is a 10 turn 2-mile road course with a2,900 ft. main straight which means the Porsches, Vipers, GTR’s, Vettes, and McLaren should rule, and they did, but we bagged 11th in the morning and 13th in the afternoon. Another great result for our BMW M2 ably piloted by Mike who left nothing on the table.

After Summit Point we headed west for the longest transit section of the week; 603-miles, heading over the Appalachians to National Corvette Museum (NCM) Motorsport Park in Bowling Green, KY. Though an arduous drive the scenery was breathtaking, too bad we didn’t have time to stop and take in the beautiful views.

Wednesday morning was dry for a majority of the first runs, but towards the end of the session rain once again soaked everyone and left the front runners in the afternoon session at a disadvantage to the latter runners. Like Summit Point and tomorrows time trails at Road America, the configuration of NCM favors the higher horsepower cars. Mike completed the morning run in 14th and finished the afternoon session in 25th in the wet. A drying track benefitted later runners.

From Kentucky we now headed north to Wisconsin and Road America for Thursday’s extremely busy schedule; two track sessions, an autocross and a drag race, plus a quick stop at the Brat Stop after leaving Great Lakes Dragaway.

So we had to travel to one of the most northern states to find warm weather and sunshine, and not a drop of rain in the air! Road America is an extremely fast track with long straights and fast corners, favoring our more powerful brothers. In first place was the Porsche 977TT with a time of 7:30.358 followed by eleven other cars with considerable more horsepower. Mike completed his morning run with a 8:10.566 over the three laps, good for 12th place!

Road America Video

Next it was onto the autocross held on the go-kart track full of twidley bits, slaloms, and tight turns. Each competitor had three runs with their fastest counted. Mike finished 15th with a 55.204 while the winning the highly modified Mitsubishi Evo IX completed the course in 50.560.
Autocross complete it was back to track activities with the afternoon session, and Mike continued to impress the competition with a 14th overall. Remember this is a stock BMW M2 mixing it up with much more powerful machinery.

From the Brat Stop we had a relatively short drive to Joliet in the evening, fortunately missing the Chicago rush hour(s) traffic and getting to bed at a decent hour. Throughout the week we have been fortunate to stay at some great Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express Hotels. Usually arriving close to midnight the receptionist has always greeted us with a smile on their face and a warm welcome. The rooms have been terrific; clean with comfortable beds and a variety of pillows to suit your preference. At each location our hotel has never been more than 30 minutes away from the track, many much closer.

Friday was the penultimate day of competition at Autobahn with a morning run on the north course followed by an afternoon session on the south course. Mike finished 10th overall in the morning with an 11th in the afternoon.

Back in South Bend, we enjoyed a good meal with the rest of the crews and had an early night as we had the final competition in the morning at Tire Rack, the dry skid pad, proceeded by the group photo of all remaining competitors.

At this stage we were just outside the top 10 and need to beat the current 10th place Audi TT RS by 8 positions if we were to take it away from them on points. Mike went out and secured a 0.985 G and beat the Audi by nine positions giving us 10th place.

So the final results not only showed an excellent overall position, but class wins in Stock Touring and SSGT1-Small Bore Classes. This is really a great testament to the engineers who developed the BMW M2 and of course to Mike Schnell Renner’s awesome driving talent. Throughout the week our BMW M2 ran perfectly, not missing a beat. While other crews were tinkering with their car, all we had to do was adjust tire pressures for the conditions and track, and clean the car.

May 8 Update:

The BMW Performance Center M2 continues to lead its class:

Name:  SSGT1 Small Bore.jpg
Views: 6039
Size:  67.5 KB

April 29, 2016

The BMW Performance Center with partners BMW M Performance Parts and IHG Rewards Club today announced that it will compete in the 2016 One Lap of America with the all-new BMW M2. This year’s team will be co-piloted by BMW Performance Center Driving Instructor, Michael Schnell Renner and Stephen Maguire of United BMW Roswell of Atlanta. The duo will compete in the Small Bore Stock Touring SSGT1 category. The 2016 One Lap of America competitors depart South Bend, Indiana on Saturday, April 30th to begin the 7 Day, 2,827 mile route, spanning twelve states and consisting of Time Trials, Drag Racing, Skid pad Car Control and of course, long overnight transit stages. Renner won both the 2015 One Lap of America Truck/SUV and Stock Touring classes piloting a BMW X6M.

The 2016 BMW M2 is the newest vehicle from the brand to wear the coveted M badge. With an output of 365 bhp at 6,500rpm and 343 lb-ft of torque (369 lb-ft in overboost mode) on tap between 1,400 and 5,600 rpm, the M2 can sprint from 0-60 mph in 4.2 Seconds and lap the storied Nurburgring in a time of 7:58 minutes. The M2 features lightweight aluminum subframe and suspension components under the widened bodywork as well as an Active M Rear Differential. The already track capable M2 has been further enhanced for One Lap duty with BMW M Performance Accessories, including carbon fiber front and rear spoilers, carbon fiber rear diffuser, M Performance coil-over suspension and sport exhaust system.

BMW M Performance Parts bring decades of innovative dynamic, design and Motorsports experience to BMW owners. The M Performance Parts collection of aerodynamic, interior, drivetrain and chassis accessories enhance both the performance and appearance of BMW vehicles and are available as dealer installed accessories for new vehicle customers and current owners while maintaining full manufacturer’s warranty coverage.

The BMW Performance Center is the home of BMW’s Performance Driving School. Comprising two locations, Performance Center East in Greer, SC and Performance Center West in Thermal, CA, the BMW Performance Driving School offers a variety of driving classes that highlight the performance, responsiveness, and safety features in each BMW vehicle. D riving schools are offered in 1 and 2 day formats. They include a Teen Driving School, Car Control School, M School, and Advanced M School. Exclusive corporate driving events are also offered in many variants ranging from half day programs to 3 day events with on track driving and offsite tours and excursions.

More photos and a video by BIMMERPOST member Pyrat 2

Name:  P90217735-highRes 2.jpg
Views: 11517
Size:  750.1 KB

Name:  m2-performancecenter1.jpg
Views: 10407
Size:  418.6 KB

Name:  m2-performancecenter2.jpg
Views: 10521
Size:  460.1 KB

Name:  m2-performancecenter3.jpg
Views: 10196
Size:  469.4 KB

Name:  m2-performancecenter4.jpg
Views: 10229
Size:  626.3 KB

Name:  m2-performancecenter5.jpg
Views: 10209
Size:  609.0 KB

Name:  m2-performancecenter6.jpg
Views: 10246
Size:  556.7 KB

Name:  m2-performancecenter7.jpg
Views: 10043
Size:  524.1 KB

Name:  m2-performancecenter8.jpg
Views: 10002
Size:  480.3 KB

Video of the M Performance Exhaust

Appreciate 2
      04-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #2
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

wow that sounds amazing!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #3
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I feel like it was on the verge of shooting a flame
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #4
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Hey look, the correct way to record an exhaust video. From behind!
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
The video doesn't do it justice. Before pulling the car out for me Mike made me commit that I wouldn't hold them responsible if I decided to buy the exhaust. After hearing it I told them I couldn't promise to hold my end of the bargain. The one shot of the car pulling away was much better sounding than the static video shot. Wish I had a video of that too.

I was having such a good time with Mike and Matt, their chief instructor, that I was late for the pickup of my car. Since I snuck off with Mike they had to send someone to find me.

The overall experience was outstanding but I got to say spending time with Mike and Matt solo was the best part. Those guys are really excited by the M2 much more so than the other Ms cause it is purpose-built for the track. Mine was only the second M2 delivered there and clearly they were just as excited for me as I was to take it. I think they felt good knowing that I was going to really use it. They wanted to know how many days I track a year. My M goes in for break-in maintenance tomorrow and will see it's first track time in 3 weeks.

I've added one more pic here. This is the M2 I used at the school prior to taking mine home. I was surprised to learn that they let their employees break-in the cars as personal ddrivers before adding a car to their track fleet. This M2 had just been added to the track fleet the day before me for their first delivery. It had 1 k miles on it.
Attached Images

04-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #6
JAGOOD
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Black/S1000rr

Sounds fantastic, so why can't BMW make the m3 and m4 sound just as good.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #7
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Great write-up and review. Thanks mate! Did you notice any drone on the MPE compared to stock?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 05:00 PM   #8
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Sounds restrained but still good
      04-29-2016, 05:07 PM   #9
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

That car is lowered
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 05:11 PM   #10
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbennettksu
That car is lowered
Car is on the performance coil overs. You can order it that way from the factory although the parts are installed at the port. Mike told me this is how it placed in the production class for One Lap.
      04-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #11
Jono2112
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Wow. Looks awesome. A race car with street legal license plate. Only 56 more easy payments on my M235i and I can trade up!
I'm glad to hear that the employees break in the demo cars. Mine is a retired demo car that had 4016 miles on it when I got it and I was hoping it was broken in correctly. I'm sure BMW employees know what they're doing.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #12
joebimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 Austin Yellow

Caught some roadkill in KY on the way through to Indiana!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #13
joebimmer
United_States
Rep

All checked out good.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 06:35 PM   #14
joebimmer
United_States
Rep

The roadmap for the races!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-29-2016, 06:56 PM   #15
Nflight97
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4, 2013 X3 35i M

Please lawd let one of these little beauties be at Spartanburg when I go to M School in a couple of weeks!

I need to:
1) see it / hear it in person
2) sit in it (I have back problems and suspect this seat is better than my M4)
3) drive it (this is a 'Hail Mary' that likely won't happen)

But I do recall when I went to just 'see' the new M4 - unexpectedly got to do all of those things - and bought it the next day. It will take a lot to get me out of that beast. Fingers crossed.

I swear not to b!#ch about non-M mirrors. But I will b!#ch about HUD. ALL CARS MUST NOW HAVE HUD. MUST. HAVE. HUD.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 06:58 PM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebimmer
The roadmap for the races!
Wow. Decidedly Midwestern/mid eastern

No Hallet, no Texas, no NOLA..

If this swings by an area near you go check it out !
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 11:19 PM   #17
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Nice! I can't wait to get mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 11:23 PM   #18
sakson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
looks perfect on performance suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 12:03 AM   #19
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

When does it start? My dealer is in South Bend and I've been to Tire Rack before. Do they do anything on Tire Racks small track?
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 05:50 AM   #20
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

When does it start? My dealer is in South Bend and I've been to Tire Rack before. Do they do anything on Tire Racks small track?
It varies each year. I would hazard a guess that a Google search or onelapofamerica.com might get you started.

Or of course ... http://bfy.tw/5X49
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 10:28 AM   #21
SteveMaguire
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E30 M3, BMW X3, BMW 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
2000 BMW 528i  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
One Lap of America - Pre Event Update

It’s almost May which means the BMW Performance Driving School team are in South Bend, Indiana for the 2016 One Lap of America.

This year we are competing in the Stock Class and SSGT1 Small Bore Class with the new BMW M2 and sponsored by BMW Performance Driving Schools, BMW M Performance Parts, and IHG Rewards Club.

This year’s week-long route will take us through eastern and midwestern states, visiting Pittsburgh International Raceway, Palmer Motorsports Park, Summit Point, National Corvette Museum, Road America, Autobahn, and finally returning to Tire Rack for the second skid pad event.

We arrived in South Bend Thursday evening after a relatively uneventful drive, apart from an encounter with a rather large animal lying in our lane on the interstate just south of Lexington, KY. Fortunately the damage was fairly minor and restricted to the plastic under-tray behind the front bumper cover.

To be on the safe-side we elected to stop at the local BMW Dealership in Lexington; Don Jacobs BMW. Tim, one of the service advisers got us right in and had their technicians give the M2 a once over just to make sure there was no further damage. Once we had the all clear and said our goodbyes we were back on the road again heading north.

Friday we had a relaxing morning, just cleaning our M2 and making sure everything was in place for our week-long adventure. The afternoon was spent in the Tire Rack studios recording a short video about our BMW M2 and BMW M Performance Parts. And later in the day we completed registration formalities, and spent time meeting up with old friends and new before retiring early to our Holiday Inn Express hotel for our final good night’s sleep before Saturdays first event; the wet skid pad at Tire Rack Headquarters.

Follow us on Twitter

We will be providing updates throughout the week in this thread and broadcasting live on periscope. Follow bmw_steve

BMW M2

Our BMW M2 is exactly as you can purchase from your local BMW Dealership with the only modifications been a number of BMW M Performance parts including: Front Splitter, Black Grilles, Side Skirts, Rear Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, Adjustable Coil-Over Suspension, Exhaust, and M stripes. All of these parts and a few more are available when ordering your BMW M2 and can be installed prior to delivery.

Here are a few close-up shots of the installed parts:

Steve
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 01:43 PM   #22
StephGOD
KYHOMPB
United_States
Rep
Drives: Only BMW's Ja

Garage List
2020 M2C  [0.00]
2017 M3 Comp  [0.00]