BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Amanda Gorman, Poet Laureate

Closed Thread

01-23-2021, 07:54 AM   #23
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Needless to say, art is often personal. There is plenty of 'art' I don't like.
Ms Gorman does read well, which is part of it. But I've been read to before. I would contend that the text of her poem obviously fulfilled its purpose.

Murf
Oh let the sun beat down upon my face
Stars to fill my dreams,
I am the traveler of all time and space
To be where I have been.

I sit with elders of a gentle race
A world that's seldom seen
Who talk of days for which they sit and wait,
When all will be revealed.

Talk and Songs from tongues of lilting grace,
Sounds caress my ears
Not a word could I relate,
The stories were quite clear.

Now that's poetry. Put it to music and it might rank as maybe 20th or 21st in all time classic rock songs, who knows? Art... Recognized...

(BTW, I typed the lyrics from memory)
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 08:59 AM   #24
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

LOL!

Nobody is going to begrudge you your LZ song!
I've posted lots of lyrics in the "What song are you listening to..." thread. I also appreciate the art of poetry, as practiced by Ms. Gorman, and have no prob giving her credit for a beautiful work.

I think my Granny would say those LZ lyrics are sort of inane, but she never smoked hashish that I know of.

Murf

PS: BTW, I can recite my below quotes from memory....

Last edited by Littlebear; 01-23-2021 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
racerbruce3848.50
      01-23-2021, 09:43 AM   #25
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL!

Nobody is going to begrudge you your LZ song!
I've posted lots of lyrics in the "What song are you listening to..." thread. I also appreciate the art of poetry, as practiced by Ms. Gorman, and have no prob giving her credit for a beautiful work.

I think my Granny would say those LZ lyrics are sort of inane, but she never smoked hashish that I know of.

Murf

PS: BTW, I can recite my below quotes from memory....
But the point of my using Kashmir as an satirical example is, while art may be "personal" and "you know it when you see it", there is some 'art' that is universally recognized as great. Being that I attended school in downtown DC, I was able to frequent the Smithsonian Institution quite often. I fondly remember at the Hirshhorn, seeing a painting of a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood; impressive as the detail was down to the partial/faded red Weyerhaeuser stamps. The painting was so accurate that it looked like the museum nailed up a sheet as if the wall was under construction. It made you look twice, which I guess was the point (of the "art"). I thought it was amusing, but not really art; amusing, because it was stupid. Then I'd walk over to the Air and Space and go look at real art.

Anyway, I've read two of Ms. Gorman works now, and the second was as unimpressive as the first. I'll file her works in the same bucket with Andres Serrano.

Please enjoy the rest of this golden day and not mourn too much during this meaningful morn.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #26
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
But the point of my using Kashmir as an satirical example is, while art may be "personal" and "you know it when you see it", there is some 'art' that is universally recognized as great....
Seems Ms. Gorman is getting pretty universal recognition as having given a great performance.

Andres Serrano:
"Andres Serrano (born August 15, 1950) is an American photographer and artist who has become famous through his photos of corpses and his use of feces and bodily fluids in his work, notably his controversial work Piss Christ, a red-tinged photograph of a crucifix submerged in a glass container of what was purported to be the artist's own urine. He is also notable for creating the artwork for the heavy metal band Metallica's Load and Reload albums."

Shame on you. I'll leave you there. The comparison is lost on me.

Murf
Appreciate 1
racerbruce3848.50
      01-23-2021, 10:38 AM   #27
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Seems Ms. Gorman is getting pretty universal recognition as having given a great performance.

Andres Serrano:
"Andres Serrano (born August 15, 1950) is an American photographer and artist who has become famous through his photos of corpses and his use of feces and bodily fluids in his work, notably his controversial work Piss Christ, a red-tinged photograph of a crucifix submerged in a glass container of what was purported to be the artist's own urine. He is also notable for creating the artwork for the heavy metal band Metallica's Load and Reload albums."

Shame on you. I'll leave you there. The comparison is lost on me.

Murf
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 10:44 AM   #28
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Exactly.
To restate the obvious, there is no comparison.
Appreciate 1
racerbruce3848.50
      01-23-2021, 11:20 AM   #29
Boltar
Sourkraut
Rep
Drives: E92 former, now F87C

It was a great poem and presented greatly. And it makes people reveal themselves as uneducated, some examples in this thread.

If even poetry cant move you anymore, I feel very sorry for you.
Appreciate 2
Littlebear3508.50
racerbruce3848.50
Closed Thread