BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Clarifying track limp mode

06-25-2017, 05:32 AM   #23
tstafford
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest View Post
For those following along, I apparently had misfires in multiple cylinders. No fix was applied. We’re at wait-and-see if it happens again.
Mike - mine misfired too and went in to limp mode on the highway. Cleared and no recurrence after two track days and 300 street miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 06:22 PM   #24
MayorAdamWest
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2

Cool. I hope that’s the case!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #25
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Experienced this for the first time at a weekend BMW CCA event at Lightning NJMP.

Occurred day 1 in session 2 with 1/4 or less gas. Drivetrain error with low power mode. Pulled into pits with car running rough. After re-start, car ran fine. Same thing again this morning day 2, with same fuel level.

Looks certainly like a fuel starvation issue.

I think the M2 needs to start a session with at least half a tank to avoid this issue, considering the paltry mpg on track. This effectively means we only have like 3/4 of an already small gas tank, so like 10 gallons.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      08-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #26
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

The Dinan LPFP mod fixed this issue for me. Have ran down to less than 1/8 tank on track.
Appreciate 3
DrKevM52262.00
CSBM52695.50
dvas515.00
      08-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #27
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Just did this mod but haven't tested it yet. Great to hear it.
Appreciate 1
dvas515.00
      08-24-2017, 02:34 PM   #28
VegasM2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB/Manual/Exc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
The Dinan LPFP mod fixed this issue for me. Have ran down to less than 1/8 tank on track.
I've also done this mod. Car definitely pulls harder to redline. Will be at willow springs in the fall so i'll send an update.
      08-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #29
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
Experienced this for the first time at a weekend BMW CCA event at Lightning NJMP.

Occurred day 1 in session 2 with 1/4 or less gas. Drivetrain error with low power mode. Pulled into pits with car running rough. After re-start, car ran fine. Same thing again this morning day 2, with same fuel level.

Looks certainly like a fuel starvation issue.

I think the M2 needs to start a session with at least half a tank to avoid this issue, considering the paltry mpg on track. This effectively means we only have like 3/4 of an already small gas tank, so like 10 gallons.
Same thing happened to me....so went to the dealer to pull codes. They found a defective fuel pump control unit, replaced it. After replacing the EKPS module they found pressure bouncing between 65-100 psi and determined that the fuel pump itself had been damaged due to failed EKPS module....so it was replaced. Even with these issues the car ran great at AMP before the repairs.
Appreciate 1
dvas515.00
      08-30-2017, 09:04 PM   #30
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
Same thing happened to me....so went to the dealer to pull codes. They found a defective fuel pump control unit, replaced it. After replacing the EKPS module they found pressure bouncing between 65-100 psi and determined that the fuel pump itself had been damaged due to failed EKPS module....so it was replaced. Even with these issues the car ran great at AMP before the repairs.

Interesting....Happy to hear it worked out for you.

Do you have a MY16 or MY17? So did they give any insights into why the EKPS was faulty to begin with? Since it's an electronic control unit - as I understand it - it shouldn't be affected by track driving or running with low fuel. Must just have been faulty from the factory and only really create issues with the fuel pump when the car is driven hard at low fuel.

I'll get my codes pulled next time I'm at the dealer. At this point, no need to make the extra trip.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 03:54 PM   #31
Twt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
Interesting....Happy to hear it worked out for you.

Do you have a MY16 or MY17? So did they give any insights into why the EKPS was faulty to begin with? Since it's an electronic control unit - as I understand it - it shouldn't be affected by track driving or running with low fuel. Must just have been faulty from the factory and only really create issues with the fuel pump when the car is driven hard at low fuel.

I'll get my codes pulled next time I'm at the dealer. At this point, no need to make the extra trip.
Appreciate 1
dvas515.00
      09-06-2021, 12:21 PM   #32
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Reviving this thread since I'd rather do that than start a new one.

I ran into this issue twice on track this weekend: turning into turn 4 on High Plains (high speed right hander, so maybe fuel flow issues?), I downshifted (manual, not DCT) and got a cloud of nasty smoke and immediate limp mode. Pulled into the hot pit, power cycled the car, and it worked perfectly fine for the rest of the session.

One was at 3/4 of a tank and one was around 1/2 so I'm not sure it was fuel starvation (though maybe?), temps were listed as "ok" (I didn't get more precise numbers off OBD, but I will next time), and ISTA showed no codes relating to to DME failures.

I am running a Dinan stage IV tune, big turbo, IC, exhaust, catless DP, one step colder plugs and am pushing the car a bit--before the issue occurred, I definitely felt like the car was struggling to put power down on the back straight. I'm also running 91 in the car (tune wants 93) because 91 is generally the max of what's available in CO. I put some 100 in the car and the rest of the sessions were fine, though I'm not sure if it was because I put 100 in or just because I put more gas in.

Thoughts on why this might have occurred and how to fix it?
- fuel starvation --> dinan lpfp upgrade, or upgrade the hpfp?
- incorrect gapping on the plugs causing a misfire --> re-gap plugs
- too low octane for the tune --> buy some 100 octane before a track day
- something else?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 12:54 PM   #33
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by asciimike View Post
Reviving this thread since I'd rather do that than start a new one.

I ran into this issue twice on track this weekend: turning into turn 4 on High Plains (high speed right hander, so maybe fuel flow issues?), I downshifted (manual, not DCT) and got a cloud of nasty smoke and immediate limp mode. Pulled into the hot pit, power cycled the car, and it worked perfectly fine for the rest of the session.

One was at 3/4 of a tank and one was around 1/2 so I'm not sure it was fuel starvation (though maybe?), temps were listed as "ok" (I didn't get more precise numbers off OBD, but I will next time), and ISTA showed no codes relating to to DME failures.

I am running a Dinan stage IV tune, big turbo, IC, exhaust, catless DP, one step colder plugs and am pushing the car a bit--before the issue occurred, I definitely felt like the car was struggling to put power down on the back straight. I'm also running 91 in the car (tune wants 93) because 91 is generally the max of what's available in CO. I put some 100 in the car and the rest of the sessions were fine, though I'm not sure if it was because I put 100 in or just because I put more gas in.

Thoughts on why this might have occurred and how to fix it?
- fuel starvation --> dinan lpfp upgrade, or upgrade the hpfp?
- incorrect gapping on the plugs causing a misfire --> re-gap plugs
- too low octane for the tune --> buy some 100 octane before a track day
- something else?
I also have a Dinan Stage 4. I ran into the same issues until I called Dinan. Before you go on track, use your app to change the software to Stage 3. This mode changes a number of parameters (fueling and I believe timing) better suited to heavy track use. Slightly less power, but you can run all day long with no problems. No more issues! I was pissed that they never mentioned this to owners.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 01:06 PM   #34
Rumbloki
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Faster than most

Is there a link with more info on the Dinan LPFP mod?
      09-06-2021, 01:54 PM   #35
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
https://www.siliconvalleymotorclub.c...track-failures is where I saw a mention of it. Haven't looked deeper into it though.

Edit: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1506547 looks like the main thread here
Appreciate 1
Rumbloki176.00
      09-08-2021, 05:51 PM   #36
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Ok, I've had a look through a few of the threads and here's where I'm at.

I think the issue could be one of two things:
- fuel starvation due to lateral G loading at 1/2 a tank or less (more likely)
- misfires due to flow issues out of the HPFP (less likely)

The latter has an expensive but obvious solution: buy a new HPFP. I don't think I'm ready to do this yet since I think that it's running i

The former has a few potential solutions:
- a Dinan (https://www.dinancars.com/products/e...=M2%2F&series=) or Fuel-It (https://www.fuel-it.com/bmw-f-series...-lpfp-upgrade/) LPFP upgrade
- Holley Hydramat
- Some sort of surge tank (e.g. Radium engineering has a kit for the E46: http://www.radiumauto.com/Fuel-Surge...esM3-P305.aspx)

I admit I don't entirely understand how the upgraded LPFP can solve this issue (is it getting fuel back from the return rather than just sending that straight to the tank?), and the Hydramat seems like it might work well, but I don't know what the proper fitment would be for an M2, so it seems like a bit of a gamble. I'm fairly confident the surge tank would work, but it's a lot of plumbing and wiring that seems like pretty new territory for the F8x platform.

Do folks have any other thoughts on what might solve this (beyond "fill up every session", which is the short term cheapest and easiest solution . Are there any resources that discuss this (all I could find is https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=25 and https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=28), or other good solutions?
Appreciate 1
Rumbloki176.00
      09-10-2021, 07:32 AM   #37
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

asciimike

Doubtful it’s your HPFP unless you’re tuned or are running an Emix. If so, you’d be able to run logs anyways to see what’s going on with your car.

Otherwise, if it happens in a corner, it’s the LPFP fuel pick up issue.

If it happens at the end of a straightaway, it could be high IATs if you’re on the stock intercooler, and a larger IC or mixing in 100 octane would help.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 09:38 PM   #38
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
ZM2 I'm running Dinan stage 4 tune, big turbo, IC, exhaust, and a catless DP. Temps seem fine (the little "ok" is shown, though I didn't have my OBD plug in to get actual temps). I put some 100 octane in halfway through the tank and didn't have the same issue again, though I also wasn't pushing as hard for the last two sessions. I think I'm probably going to upgrade the LPFP and then see about either doing the hydramat or mounting a surge tank in the battery compartment (where the inflater/patch bottle goes) for a clean install.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 10:22 AM   #39
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asciimike View Post
ZM2 I'm running Dinan stage 4 tune, big turbo, IC, exhaust, and a catless DP. Temps seem fine (the little "ok" is shown, though I didn't have my OBD plug in to get actual temps). I put some 100 octane in halfway through the tank and didn't have the same issue again, though I also wasn't pushing as hard for the last two sessions. I think I'm probably going to upgrade the LPFP and then see about either doing the hydramat or mounting a surge tank in the battery compartment (where the inflater/patch bottle goes) for a clean install.
You won’t see a temp indicator for the problem that the 100 octane solves. That’s high IATs at the end of the straight. My Stage 4 setup did the same thing before I moved on to a better IC and tune than Dinan. If that’s your issue, the LPFP won’t fix anything.

Limp mode at high RPMs in lower gears earlier in the straight is the HPFP.

Limp mode in corners is what the LPFP fixes.
Appreciate 1
CrashFL136.50
      04-30-2022, 03:46 PM   #40
Wagerd
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Glacier, '17 M2 AW

Resurrecting this thread as I’ve done more analysis of issues on track with M2 DINAN P4. Replaced LPFP and am quite confident that it isn’t the problem - limp happened at full tank and earlier in day no limp at almost empty running hard. Car was stuttering at higher RPM but below limiter yet not throwing codes. Exploration of data layer showed misfires of 4,5,6.

Usually happens in afternoon, which is warmer weather, but also after I fill up at a track-local station where I doubt premium fuel is generally sold. so thinking this is a fuel quality (when I arrive at track in AM I am on 75% quality fuel from home) + “push the limits” DINAN mapping plus older spark plug problem.

Will start with plugs and gas, then if still fails on map 4, try map 3.

Anyone else have any more data?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 06:23 PM   #41
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

My limo mode has always been related to lack of fuel. I now start each session with a full tank. I run the Dinan fuel pump extension, which helped, but has not eliminated the issue. BW is working on a solution, though I am not sure on the eta.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 06:47 PM   #42
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagerd View Post
Resurrecting this thread as I’ve done more analysis of issues on track with M2 DINAN P4. Replaced LPFP and am quite confident that it isn’t the problem - limp happened at full tank and earlier in day no limp at almost empty running hard. Car was stuttering at higher RPM but below limiter yet not throwing codes. Exploration of data layer showed misfires of 4,5,6.

Usually happens in afternoon, which is warmer weather, but also after I fill up at a track-local station where I doubt premium fuel is generally sold. so thinking this is a fuel quality (when I arrive at track in AM I am on 75% quality fuel from home) + “push the limits” DINAN mapping plus older spark plug problem.

Will start with plugs and gas, then if still fails on map 4, try map 3.

Anyone else have any more data?
OG Shark
Appreciate 0