BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Audi RS3 vs BMW M2 Competition vs Camaro SS 1LE

10-27-2018, 10:41 AM   #45
Craig335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d Shadow Edition Xdrive

TTRS does feel a better drive than RS3, but the difference IMO was largely limited to the seating position and seats.

It however suffers from the same downsides as the RS3 - lifeless steering, Haldex, and poor damping. Understeer is a real issue.

To answer why the RS3 over the TTRS, I think it’s the more manly option in saloon format, over the TT, which is affectionately known as a “hairdressers car” over here.
Appreciate 1
BlkSVT388.50
      10-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #46
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberzus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Why do all trolls use the word butthurt? Are you all really afraid of something involving butts? Amuses the heck out of me...
I guess mentioning a car that *isnt a BMW makes you a troll? Maybe you're salty? Upset? There are many words I can use.

I am stating facts and personal experiences with a total of THREE different S55 powered cars. Not only is the F80 lighter than the M2C, it makes a little more power.

Please do share your experiences? Or are you just going to call someone a "troll" when you have nothing better to say and no facts to back it up? We're talking about cars here, so don't change the subject to butts just because that's something you want to discuss...
Dude are you 16?
Appreciate 1
bri10425757.00
      10-27-2018, 10:50 AM   #47
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig335d View Post

To answer why the RS3 over the TTRS, I think it's the more manly option in saloon format, over the TT, which is affectionately known as a "hairdressers car" over here.
Wasn't it Paul Horrell who once wrote an article "Why I hate the Audi TT?"
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 10:50 AM   #48
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

My 02 cents on the topic.......one of my track buddies, who is a big Audi fan (DD an Allroad, tracks a TTRS, which replaced his previous TT he also tracked, AND he works for an well know Audi/VW tuner as of about 2 years ago) just ordered an M2 Competition, because he test drove one and was blown away. I think that about says it all.
Appreciate 1
AlpsRider2857.50
      10-27-2018, 10:52 AM   #49
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
Dude are you 16?

Anyone engaging in a pissing match on a car forum starts to look pretty immature. Regardless of who started it.

Just saying.
Appreciate 3
      10-28-2018, 12:47 AM   #50
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
Curious why not the 2-door TTRS but the 2-door M2?

Both have laughable rear seats. Although the TTRS seats are more cramped, I've had some of my passengers use them with minor complaints for shorter rides.

The beauty of the TTRS is in the rear hatch. It's HUGE and there is a ton of space with the rear seats placed down flat. We fit TWO 60" TV's back there no issues. In fact, I use the TTRS for all of our Costco runs haha.
The M2 does have more usable seats than the TTRS I have to say. TTRS is an odd, albeit cool car. I honestly don't understand why Audi just doesn't make it a 2 seater? Most use the back seats for that nice trunk space anyway.

The TT really is in a class by itself, and it's been like that since its inception. But I am not denying its abilities from a dig...it indeed is a pocket rocket for sure.

Anyway, if VW put that wonderful 5 pot TTRS engine in the 718 Cayman, I can't imagine what would be a better (non-exotic) sports car in this world.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 03:04 AM   #51
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Why do all trolls use the word butthurt? Are you all really afraid of something involving butts? Amuses the heck out of me...
I guess mentioning a car that *isnt a BMW makes you a troll? Maybe you're salty? Upset? There are many words I can use.

I am stating facts and personal experiences with a total of THREE different S55 powered cars. Not only is the F80 lighter than the M2C, it makes a little more power.

Please do share your experiences? Or are you just going to call someone a "troll" when you have nothing better to say and no facts to back it up? We're talking about cars here, so don't change the subject to butts just because that's something you want to discuss...
Dude are you 16?
Not the best cars comparaison ...
A muscle vs a lady's vs a fun car ... hmmm... hard to tell
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 06:30 AM   #52
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Sea

I was hot on the trail of the TTRS when it was released. Loved the interior, motor, magnetic shocks etc. Then I had a long conversation with Randy Pobst about what car I should buy next. I asked about the TTRS (he tested one for Motor Trend) and he flat out said "don't do it". It does not turn or brake. He was so disappointed in that car. Sure he loved the motor and the straight line speed. But everything else left a lot to be desired. So if you just want to mash the gas get an RS3/TTRS if you want to turn and brake look for something else.

I asked him what is the perfomance car bargain of the century? Without hesitation, SS 1LE. He has not driven the M2C yet. I am not a Camaro guy and neither is he. But he said the Alpha platform from GM is something special.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2018, 06:37 AM   #53
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
I was hot on the trail of the TTRS when it was released. Loved the interior, motor, magnetic shocks etc. Then I had a long conversation with Randy Pobst about what car I should buy next. I asked about the TTRS (he tested one for Motor Trend) and he flat out said "don't do it". It does not turn or brake. He was so disappointed in that car. Sure he loved the motor and the straight line speed. But everything else left a lot to be desired. So if you just want to mash the gas get an RS3/TTRS if you want to turn and brake look for something else.

I asked him what is the perfomance car bargain of the century? Without hesitation, SS 1LE. He has not driven the M2C yet. I am not a Camaro guy and neither is he. But he said the Alpha platform from GM is something special.
If like the Mustang which I tested, the Camaro is potentially the best car for straight driving... that is totally opposite and boring with M2 ...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 07:35 AM   #54
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
omg, yes! That engine in the Cayman would be sick!
Unfortunately it's a pipe dream, not only because an audi engine has never made in a porsche, but also because it would spank their GT cars, especially with a tune. One can dream though.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #55
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
If like the Mustang which I tested, the Camaro is potentially the best car for straight driving... that is totally opposite and boring with M2 ...
Actually camaro does everything well. The thing is, it's a Camaro and not everyone wants to be in a Camaro. I considered this car as well. (ZL1). Just not my style. The M2C I have on order will be my 19th BMW. Yeah, 50 is the new 30!!
Appreciate 2
Al1969529.50
trey1001125.00
      10-29-2018, 11:07 AM   #56
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
The M2 does have more usable seats than the TTRS I have to say. TTRS is an odd, albeit cool car. I honestly don't understand why Audi just doesn't make it a 2 seater? Most use the back seats for that nice trunk space anyway.

The TT really is in a class by itself, and it's been like that since its inception. But I am not denying its abilities from a dig...it indeed is a pocket rocket for sure.

Anyway, if VW put that wonderful 5 pot TTRS engine in the 718 Cayman, I can't imagine what would be a better (non-exotic) sports car in this world.
I don't think the inline 5 cylinder would fit in a Cayman that has a flat 4 cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #57
TiAg_E46_M3
2003 TiAg /// M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Tiag E46 M3

If I may, I'd like to chime in and give my 2 cents being a RS 3 owner who struggled deciding between the RS 3 and M2.

Everything everyone talks about the RS 3 being dull and muted is true. There is a lack of steering feel and there is definitely understeer. But surprisingly when you let off the throttle, the car quickly becomes neutral.

I was fortunate enough to test drive both cars when I made my decision. The M2 pulled at my heartstrings and if it wasn't for the fact that I had an E46 M3 in the garage I would've bought the M2. But I needed a more practical car and ergo the RS 3.

Now after having sold the M3, I regret buying the RS 3. Especially since the M2 Comp came out. I'm really tempted to sell the RS 3 and buy the M2 Comp.

So at the end of the day it really does come down to your heart vs your head. If you want a driver's car that you can engage the clutch and row your own gears and feel the road, then go with the M2 Comp. If you want an everyday car that's understated but really fast in a straight line with a glorious 5 cyl engine, then go with the RS 3.
Appreciate 2
BlkSVT388.50
Nkc1600.50
      10-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #58
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg_E46_M3 View Post
If I may, I'd like to chime in and give my 2 cents being a RS 3 owner who struggled deciding between the RS 3 and M2.

Everything everyone talks about the RS 3 being dull and muted is true. There is a lack of steering feel and there is definitely understeer. But surprisingly when you let off the throttle, the car quickly becomes neutral.

I was fortunate enough to test drive both cars when I made my decision. The M2 pulled at my heartstrings and if it wasn't for the fact that I had an E46 M3 in the garage I would've bought the M2. But I needed a more practical car and ergo the RS 3.

Now after having sold the M3, I regret buying the RS 3. Especially since the M2 Comp came out. I'm really tempted to sell the RS 3 and buy the M2 Comp.

So at the end of the day it really does come down to your heart vs your head. If you want a driver's car that you can engage the clutch and row your own gears and feel the road, then go with the M2 Comp. If you want an everyday car that's understated but really fast in a straight line with a glorious 5 cyl engine, then go with the RS 3.
I've owned Audi quattro cars in cold climates and they are great. If I was looking for a "daily driver" and I lived in a snowy climate, then I would give the RS3 much more weight in the equation, but since I live in a temperate climate, I bought a M2C.
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      10-29-2018, 12:47 PM   #59
BlkSVT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2c BSM, 2020 MB GLC63

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I've owned Audi quattro cars in cold climates and they are great. If I was looking for a "daily driver" and I lived in a snowy climate, then I would give the RS3 much more weight in the equation, but since I live in a temperate climate, I bought a M2C.
This ^^^ I'm keeping my Audi for exactly this reason (in addition to it being quite a bit quicker than the M2C will be... For those primal, stupid days where I just want crazy acceleration and nothing more). The M2C will be parked for a good chunk of the upcoming months

Had I not been able to pull off keeping both, I'd be getting the RS3
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 02:15 PM   #60
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
Quote:
Actually camaro does everything well. The thing is, it's a Camaro and not everyone wants to be in a Camaro. I considered this car as well. (ZL1). Just not my style. The M2C I have on order will be my 19th BMW. Yeah, 50 is the new 30!!
Here in Switzerland the camaro costs 100k that is pretty much the price of the M3/4 which I would think is more comparable... and to me, a car of that size and that power (660HP), and engine (v8 6.2l) plays in a totally different category than the M2C... unless someone tells me it provides similar driving feelings ... which is hard to believe ... I would rather having it to compete against other American muscle cars, Audi RS6 and AMGs but anyway great car this Camaro I am sure ... style is quite impressive
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 04:09 PM   #61
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Here in Switzerland the camaro costs 100k that is pretty much the price of the M3/4 which I would think is more comparable... and to me, a car of that size and that power (660HP)...
In right hand drive countries, covering about a quarter of the world’s population, only a couple of Camaros are available, and even then it’s only really the UK, Ireland and for giggles, Japan. The very fast Camaros being discussed here are not sold at all, but using the 2.0 turbo as a benchmark and comparing them to the US list for the same vehicle, the primal 1LE would list north of £85,000. M3 here is about two thirds of that.

Maybe we need to segregate the forums by country?...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 05:00 PM   #62
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg_E46_M3 View Post

Cannot agree more... audi knows how to make super fast " practical " cars... a shame they lost the emotional part of it... the " quatro " was such the perfect car, but this was long time ago 😟😟
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 05:57 PM   #63
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

camero for speed, rs3 for people pleasing, m2c for real driving...
Appreciate 1
ChrisK4449.00
      10-30-2018, 09:42 AM   #64
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Cannot agree more... audi knows how to make super fast "*practical*" cars... a shame they lost the emotional part of it... the "*quatro*" was such the perfect car, but this was long time ago 😟😟
Well that's some food for discussion, I assume you also speak German?

Cheers
Robin(ex 2000 Haldex Audi S3)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 10:16 AM   #65
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

I have never liked/understood Audi/VW... Horrific to work on as well.

Well there was ONE audi...

Appreciate 1
Al1969529.50
      10-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #66
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proctor750 View Post
I have never liked/understood Audi/VW... Horrific to work on as well.

Well there was ONE audi...

We speak same language here 👍👍👍
This car was Audi most genius time...impressive video thanks

Sorry adding a video turning this thread into quattro demonstration... but let's face it we all dream to slide our M2´s that way ...

Appreciate 2