BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Joe Achilles Tests the BMW M2 Competition

11-13-2018, 03:59 AM   #111
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlito View Post
EH?? Can you explain this? I have been driving boring automatic cars for the last 3 years and have just ordered a manual M2C, so maybe I am a bit out of touch. You're saying you can keep your foot on the throttle whilst changing gears in a manual??
Well, you floor it in gear, and near the top of the rev range, bang the clutch and shifter at the same time whilst keeping the gas flat. In that short, ~500ms time, the engine will quickly attain the rev limiter before the action of dumping the clutch brings it back down to whatever the gearing demands. Sounds like a recipe for an overrev, but the sample speed of modern DMEs these days is such that you can happily thump the gas in neutral from tickover and the engine will reign itself in before parts fly out.

Anyway, this constant powershifting technique will beat the drivetrain up pretty bad over time. But as long as the car is turned in at lease expiry before something big breaks, who cares
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 04:26 AM   #112
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlito View Post
EH?? Can you explain this? I have been driving boring automatic cars for the last 3 years and have just ordered a manual M2C, so maybe I am a bit out of touch. You're saying you can keep your foot on the throttle whilst changing gears in a manual?? Can you explain a bit more about this as I always thought you had to take your foot off the accelerator when changing gears in a manual. Also, doesn't the M2C auto-blip the throttle when changing gears anyway for this purpose?
Argh. Sorry. Re-reading my comment I assumed everyone just watched the video. I was meaning manual drivers driving DCT. It gets ingrained into your hind brain to just modulate the throttle automatically. You don’t need to do this with DCT. I was watching the video and thinking that this just does not sound right and noticed that he was jerking backwards and forwards.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 04:34 AM   #113
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
What's funny is that the same racer crowd who like the computerised pops and bangs - fake versions of what you used to get authentically, don't like computer-enhanced interior engine sound because it's, well, fake. That's so funny. YHMV.
Magnificent comment.

I have no clue where the enhancement really begins and ends. What I can detect however is that it appears to be induction noise synthesis, not exhaust. Either that or exhausts simply “suck” nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 05:44 AM   #114
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

From about 4000rpm it's getting really noisy in the cabin(relatively), but that's imho, because 5-6-7k is even more noisy, but not in a bad way.

I thought I'd get rid of ASD instantly/first thing on my list, but no. It's fine.
Because the whole car in general is (too)quiet(for an M car imho).

When I have another exhaust system I'm going to put ASD to off just like I did with my OG M2+ MPE.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
COChris888.50
      11-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #115
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Artificially generated farts and bubbles are the in-thing now. It's young, fashionable and on-message, and makes everyone drive like an utter tool in heavy traffic so everyone can hear how on-trend they are .

What's funny is that the same racer crowd who like the computerised pops and bangs - fake versions of what you used to get authentically, don't like computer-enhanced interior engine sound because it's, well, fake. That's so funny. YHMV.
Word, someone else finally said it..

I tried to use this logic with someone here and they told me the exhaust burbles is from the "mouth" of the car, so any noise it expels is [COLOR="DarkRed"]real[/COLOR], but ASD is fake because it's piped through the speakers..

I find the artificial cold start rumble and "pops & burbles" sort of trying too hard to be boy racer; I don't want to draw attention to myself in my daily, like a teenager in a souped-up Civic, if it's not necessary for the vehicle's performance..

However, I don't mind ASD because it's just myself hearing it but I could take it or leave it either way.. They both sort of artificially achieve the same results in the end..

Now if I had a naturally aspirated V12 Lamborghini Murcielago where the engine is genuinely tuned to sound like a guitar, then louder please..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #116
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Argh. Sorry. Re-reading my comment I assumed everyone just watched the video. I was meaning manual drivers driving DCT. It gets ingrained into your hind brain to just modulate the throttle automatically. You don’t need to do this with DCT. I was watching the video and thinking that this just does not sound right and noticed that he was jerking backwards and forwards.
Ahhh.

Over on the Honda forum, they sometimes talk about powershifting manuals when reaching the limiter. It sounds brutal, but they all lease their cars, so...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 11:30 AM   #117
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I find the artificial cold start rumble and "pops & burbles" sort of trying too hard to be boy racer; I don't want to draw attention to myself in my daily, like a teenager in a souped-up Civic, if it's not necessary for the vehicle's performance..
I guess some people like their hella tight popz n burblez. A guy I used to live next door to, young man, looked stupid with his eyes too close together, fey little beard, rich surgeon parents as it turned out but otherwise no visible means of employment, used to leave his house at 3 am (presumably to go and do charity work?) in his paid-for Gotterdammerung Mercedes-Benz AMG Black Death Machine. It was tuned to start at full throttle - who gives a shit, yo, it's leased - with a bark and instant from-cold rev loud enough to set other car alarms off.

All I ever thought of him was, "fucking dick".
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
cptobvious2531.50
      11-13-2018, 11:41 AM   #118
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I guess some people like their hella tight popz n burblez. A guy I used to live next door to, young man, looked stupid with his eyes too close together, fey little beard, rich surgeon parents as it turned out but otherwise no visible means of employment, used to leave his house at 3 am (presumably to go and do charity work?) in his paid-for Gotterdammerung Mercedes-Benz AMG Black Death Machine. It was tuned to start at full throttle - who gives a shit, yo, it's leased - with a bark and instant from-cold rev loud enough to set other car alarms off.

All I ever thought of him was, "fucking dick".
LoL, I know the type..

When I am on the M4 forum and someone mentions they don't like the loud cold start or juvenile exhaust sound, they get totally lambasted..

So I keep my opinions to myself and let the babies have their bottle..

Loud exhaust and what to do about it https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1106098

So what is the Quiet Cold Start Solution? https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1280948

Can I make cold start quieter? https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1145893
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #119
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Also... note to manual drivers [edit I mean manual drivers driving DCT]. You don't need to lift your foot off the throttle when changing gears like Kiwi mate. Granted, I have no problems doing this with the paddles but it's sometimes hard to stop if you use the shifter.
I tend to lift off the throttle when down shifting. It's kind of pointless, but the shift is more responsive then. I'm sure for speed it would be better to stay on throttle and down shift but I don't like the laggy input.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      11-13-2018, 05:13 PM   #120
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Well, you floor it in gear, and near the top of the rev range, bang the clutch and shifter at the same time whilst keeping the gas flat. In that short, ~500ms time, the engine will quickly attain the rev limiter before the action of dumping the clutch brings it back down to whatever the gearing demands. Sounds like a recipe for an overrev, but the sample speed of modern DMEs these days is such that you can happily thump the gas in neutral from tickover and the engine will reign itself in before parts fly out.

Anyway, this constant powershifting technique will beat the drivetrain up pretty bad over time. But as long as the car is turned in at lease expiry before something big breaks, who cares
Sounds like a recipe for disaster more like! Ha.
I’m buying the car with cash so won’t be handing it back. Maybe I’ll change it for something else if I get bored in a year or two
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 05:00 AM   #121
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I tend to lift off the throttle when down shifting. It's kind of pointless, but the shift is more responsive then. I'm sure for speed it would be better to stay on throttle and down shift but I don't like the laggy input.
Can you explain this? What do you mean by laggy input?
What is the scenario? So confused.

For reference in the video he is modulating the throttle when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Thus denying himself one of the total joys of the DCT.

Last edited by Davil; 11-14-2018 at 05:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #122
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Can you explain this? What do you mean by laggy input?
What is the scenario? So confused.

For reference in the video he is modulating the throttle when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Thus denying himself one of the total joys of the DCT.
This is generally only an issue when just cruising and then you decide to downshift and you have not done anything to make the car predict your next gear will be a lower one. If the DCT has predicted you're going to upshift but instead you downshift then there is a delay.

By lifting off the gas the car generally predicts my next shift will be the next lower gear, so the downshift is instant.

Of course that's not always the case, it depends on the mode you are in, are you already accelerating, and where the revs are.

This is pretty much never a problem if you are already driving hard. If you are driving hard you are either accelerating and revving it out and the next gear you want is higher and that's predicted correctly. Or you are hard braking and the next gear you want is a lower gear, and that's predicted correctly.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #123
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
This is generally only an issue when just cruising and then you decide to downshift and you have not done anything to make the car predict your next gear will be a lower one. If the DCT has predicted you're going to upshift but instead you downshift then there is a delay.

By lifting off the gas the car generally predicts my next shift will be the next lower gear, so the downshift is instant.

Of course that's not always the case, it depends on the mode you are in, are you already accelerating, and where the revs are.

This is pretty much never a problem if you are already driving hard. If you are driving hard you are either accelerating and revving it out and the next gear you want is higher and that's predicted correctly. Or you are hard braking and the next gear you want is a lower gear, and that's predicted correctly.
Got you. Yes, that's what I do too.
Appreciate 0