BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rubbing after coilovers, spacers, wider tires- Need advice!

08-07-2023, 02:02 AM   #1
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2C

Rubbing after coilovers, spacers, wider tires- Need advice!

Well not surprisingly, I have some rubbing issues with my current setup:

KWV3's dropped to 595, 600mm, 10mm spacers all around, Michelin PS4S's in 255/35/19, 275/35/19

I've already fixed the inner fender liners for full lock turns, as well as some other plastic protrusions in the inner liner, but I still have some rubbing on the fender-bumper connection tab Front AND Rear. They happen on small bumps 30+mph and on dips on freeways 70+mph, and I am starting to get worried since it is rubbing on the tire sidewall, especially since I look to take it to a track day or autocross this year.

I've tried 5mm spacers instead- it lessened the problem, but still rubbed on harsh dips. I know the PS4S's tire edge is more square, and of course wider tires don't help, but what are other possible solutions?

Thought about camber plates (Currently -1.6 F -1.9R) will an additional 0.5~1 degree increase in negative camber fix this even? Also would like to minimize NVH as this is a daily.

Do people still sand down this fender-bumper tab? Is it OK for the F87? (The tab doesn't seem as prominent as older BMW's)

Need your advice!!
      08-07-2023, 07:16 AM   #2
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

If worried about NVH, you could consider camber correction hub carriers as an OEM option to add ca 0.5 extra neg camber.

Any rubbing w/o spacers on front axles ?
drp087230.00
      08-07-2023, 08:22 AM   #3
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by drp087 View Post
Well not surprisingly, I have some rubbing issues with my current setup:

KWV3's dropped to 595, 600mm, 10mm spacers all around, Michelin PS4S's in 255/35/19, 275/35/19

I've already fixed the inner fender liners for full lock turns, as well as some other plastic protrusions in the inner liner, but I still have some rubbing on the fender-bumper connection tab Front AND Rear. They happen on small bumps 30+mph and on dips on freeways 70+mph, and I am starting to get worried since it is rubbing on the tire sidewall, especially since I look to take it to a track day or autocross this year.

I've tried 5mm spacers instead- it lessened the problem, but still rubbed on harsh dips. I know the PS4S's tire edge is more square, and of course wider tires don't help, but what are other possible solutions?

Thought about camber plates (Currently -1.6 F -1.9R) will an additional 0.5~1 degree increase in negative camber fix this even? Also would like to minimize NVH as this is a daily.

Do people still sand down this fender-bumper tab? Is it OK for the F87? (The tab doesn't seem as prominent as older BMW's)

Need your advice!!
You should never fit spacers after installing a suspension until you check for rubbing.

Secondly, you are not really at BMW's 595/600 ride height spec because your tires are taller than the tires BMW recommend for that height. They measure from the bottom of the wheel rim to the top of the wheel arch, which means your taller tires have necessarily less clearance (2.5mm front, 3.5mm rear) It's not a lot, but all the little millimeters add up.

Lastly, check which EXACT tires are you running. In those sizes the PS4S comes in 3 different versions...all with different tread widths (see chart), and this will absolutely make the difference in rubbing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
chris7197271.50
drp087230.00
      08-07-2023, 10:52 PM   #4
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
If worried about NVH, you could consider camber correction hub carriers as an OEM option to add ca 0.5 extra neg camber.

Any rubbing w/o spacers on front axles ?
Yea I saw your post for the camber correction hub mod, got lost as I am no mechanic lol. Will the 0.5 neg camber be enough to clear the fender/bumper tab though?

I haven't tried removing all spacers- probably will get the job done but looking for alternatives.
      08-07-2023, 11:10 PM   #5
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
You should never fit spacers after installing a suspension until you check for rubbing.

Secondly, you are not really at BMW's 595/600 ride height spec because your tires are taller than the tires BMW recommend for that height. They measure from the bottom of the wheel rim to the top of the wheel arch, which means your taller tires have necessarily less clearance (2.5mm front, 3.5mm rear) It's not a lot, but all the little millimeters add up.

Lastly, check which EXACT tires are you running. In those sizes the PS4S comes in 3 different versions...all with different tread widths (see chart), and this will absolutely make the difference in rubbing.
Yea I was at 2-3 mm lower before I got the new tires, hence I figured I should raise just a bit to match. I did have similar rubbing in the fronts back then, no rubbing in rear, so it makes perfect sense. I got the Non-star (96Y) which I think is 8.9F/ 9.8R treadwidth.

I guess easiest way would be to remove the spacers, but they just look so good! Any alternatives??
      08-08-2023, 07:17 AM   #6
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by drp087 View Post
Yea I was at 2-3 mm lower before I got the new tires, hence I figured I should raise just a bit to match. I did have similar rubbing in the fronts back then, no rubbing in rear, so it makes perfect sense. I got the Non-star (96Y) which I think is 8.9F/ 9.8R treadwidth.

I guess easiest way would be to remove the spacers, but they just look so good! Any alternatives??
Depends on where you're rubbing. If it's the outside edge you could increase your negative camber, but trust me when I say you don't want camber plates unless you absolutely need them.
Appreciate 0