BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > MSS Adjustable Lowering Springs Review by Evolve Automotive

03-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #89
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
You say as if the suspension rides on the bump stop all the time...
The top hat does not hit the bump stop unless the travel is most extreme (like hitting a huge bump or pot hole).
The stock suspension has something in the region of 20mm off travel before the bump stop engages. If you lower by 15mm and don’t change the bump stops to shorter version you’re now at 5mm before engagement.

Do some more reading about it. Modern suspension systems are designed with a compressible bump stop and the bump stop is in use a lot more than you would think. The basic concept is that the bump stop is used to create a variable rate spring that reduces body roll by firming up rapidly under compression around turns.
Appreciate 1
Thevesh12.00

03-27-2020, 11:53 PM   #90
nearwater4me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
The stock suspension has something in the region of 20mm off travel before the bump stop engages. If you lower by 15mm and don’t change the bump stops to shorter version you’re now at 5mm before engagement.

Do some more reading about it. Modern suspension systems are designed with a compressible bump stop and the bump stop is in use a lot more than you would think. The basic concept is that the bump stop is used to create a variable rate spring that reduces body roll by firming up rapidly under compression around turns.
I did not realize the stock suspension had that short of a travel range before hitting the bump stop.
From my experience of working on suspension components in the past, non of the bump stops showed any sign of stress marks, so I figured they’re there as a ‘crash pad’.
Thanks for sharing the information.
Appreciate 0