BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Fi exhaust problems

02-21-2020, 04:32 AM   #1
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Fi exhaust problems

I recently installed the Fi catback exhaust for the n55 M2 and also installed the control module that it comes with for the flaps to open/close. It is ran by a vacuum line so the OEM electronic integration is not used when comfort closes and sport opens flaps.

The problem is I didn't install the ODB2 plug from the module as that controls for auto mode flaps only which I didn't care for. So now when I start the car the flaps are closed by default and I don't get to have that start up roar anymore. (not to be confused with cold start) If I want the start up roar I would need to put it in ignition mode first and wait like 20 seconds for the flaps to open first. Now I'm thinking if I install the OBD2 plug wire connection would that fix the issue? Also it would be great if I can use the comfort/sport buttons to open close exhaust but I don't think that's possible cuz vacuum line?

I emailed FI but haven't gotten back response yet and would like to hear if anyone here has any knowledge/experience with this issue.

**on a side note it's quite disappointing to see a 3k exhaust use mainly outer pipes for output only as the inner ones stays clean. Ideally all 4 pipes should come out evenly. I even drive with the flaps closed to see if it will darken the inner ones but nope. However I noticed it's like that for other brands.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Unsure of how the OG works, but in the Comp, the exhaust doesn't care what mode you're in, the flaps are closed by default. The only way to override this is to push the button to turn the car on, put it into Sport or Sport+, put the accelerator to the floor and release, and THEN start the car.

Probably not much help, but that's how I gotta do it so it doesn't sound all weird when it starts.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 02:57 PM   #3
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Unsure of how the OG works, but in the Comp, the exhaust doesn't care what mode you're in, the flaps are closed by default. The only way to override this is to push the button to turn the car on, put it into Sport or Sport+, put the accelerator to the floor and release, and THEN start the car.

Probably not much help, but that's how I gotta do it so it doesn't sound all weird when it starts.
Interesting...I assume u installed the flap control module right? Did u install the plug that goes into the ODB2 as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 03:01 PM   #4
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Unsure of how the OG works, but in the Comp, the exhaust doesn't care what mode you're in, the flaps are closed by default.
OG has them open by default on start up

Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
I recently installed the Fi catback exhaust for the n55 M2 and also installed the control module that it comes with for the flaps to open/close. It is ran by a vacuum line so the OEM electronic integration is not used when comfort closes and sport opens flaps.

The problem is I didn't install the ODB2 plug from the module as that controls for auto mode flaps only which I didn't care for. So now when I start the car the flaps are closed by default and I don't get to have that start up roar anymore. (not to be confused with cold start) If I want the start up roar I would need to put it in ignition mode first and wait like 20 seconds for the flaps to open first. Now I'm thinking if I install the OBD2 plug wire connection would that fix the issue? Also it would be great if I can use the comfort/sport buttons to open close exhaust but I don't think that's possible cuz vacuum line?

I emailed FI but haven't gotten back response yet and would like to hear if anyone here has any knowledge/experience with this issue.

**on a side note it's quite disappointing to see a 3k exhaust use mainly outer pipes for output only as the inner ones stays clean. Ideally all 4 pipes should come out evenly. I even drive with the flaps closed to see if it will darken the inner ones but nope. However I noticed it's like that for other brands.
A valve controller like CG VSC-1 might solve your problem.

Also suprised you went with FI when for similar money you could've gotten Remus (which doesn't have the pipe cleandliness issue and retains factory valve behavior)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 03:02 PM   #5
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:

Interesting...I assume u installed the flap control module right? Did u install the plug that goes into the ODB2 as well?
He's talking about the behavior stock electronic valve actuators on the M2C

Since the "geniuses" at FI decided to use an inferior vacuum operated line instead, you're stuck with wasting your OBD2 port.

Alternatively as a more extreme option you can reach out to AutoTalent who is the only vendor I know of that can order you the variant of the FI exhaust that keeps the stock electronic valve actuator

Probably not the answer you wanted to hear but this is why I hate companies that don't do diligent R&D (FI, Armytrix, etc) they're all the same just different labels and small changes
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #6
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
He's talking about the behavior stock electronic valve actuators on the M2C

Since the "geniuses" at FI decided to use an inferior vacuum operated line instead, you're stuck with wasting your OBD2 port.

Alternatively as a more extreme option you can reach out to AutoTalent who is the only vendor I know of that can order you the variant of the FI exhaust that keeps the stock electronic valve actuator

Probably not the answer you wanted to hear but this is why I hate companies that don't do diligent R&D (FI, Armytrix, etc) they're all the same just different labels

Right now I don't even know if I install the OBD plug will it actually make it open during start up. Currently I just have the control module installed that reads with the remote control to open/close manually. But once I turn off the car the flaps closed back up. The remote response is fast it's just that during start up it takes awhile for the module to be ready.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 03:24 PM   #7
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Also does anyone know if there is a hole through the engine bay to OBD2 without drilling a hole?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 06:44 AM   #8
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

There is an OBD port inside the cabin. Look a few inches above the hood opening lever.

Also I think Fi sounds waaay better than Remus. Good choice and I hope you can find a way to get the behavior you’re looking for.
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00
      02-22-2020, 07:01 AM   #9
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
There is an OBD port inside the cabin. Look a few inches above the hood opening lever.

Also I think Fi sounds waaay better than Remus. Good choice and I hope you can find a way to get the behavior you're looking for.

I'm referring to running the wire thru the engine bay into the cabin without needing to drill a hole.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 02:13 PM   #10
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Also does anyone know if there is a hole through the engine bay to OBD2 without drilling a hole?
you can go through the firewall cap and route the wiring under the dash.

bms has instructions on the jb4 install.

https://www.n54tech.com/instructions/jb4_f_series.pdf
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00
      02-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #11
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

might be easier if you just get a obdii splitter first and try that lol.
Appreciate 1
Bazgab132.00
      02-23-2020, 10:51 PM   #12
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
might be easier if you just get a obdii splitter first and try that lol.
Whats a odb2 splitter?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:35 AM   #13
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Whats a odb2 splitter?
some thing like this

https://www.amazon.com/Right-Angle-S...2533240&sr=8-4

i'm assuming your trying to run your bm3 and your remote module at the same time without having to swap modules to the obd
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 12:25 PM   #14
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Whats a odb2 splitter?
some thing like this

https://www.amazon.com/Right-Angle-S...240&sr=8-4

i'm assuming your trying to run your bm3 and your remote module at the same time without having to swap modules to the obd
Ah no need splitter I just need to run the wire from engine bay to obd2 but the jb4 instructions are good. Ty.
Appreciate 1
TemjinX2520.50
      03-05-2020, 07:25 AM   #15
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Ok so now my tech rewired the control module so that the flaps will open during start up and remember its last position. The problem is now is even with car off the module stays on and I can control it with the remote control. I asked if it will drain the battery and was told it's not strong enough drain to do so because it's LED. I was able to start the car everyday and it's my daily. If it was wired to the ignition on it would take like 15 seconds for it to wake up and open the flaps.

I asked if we installed the ODB2 module (which mainly controls auto flaps) will it cause the flaps to open during engine start and he said prolly not. I also don't want to go thru the bluetooth app route which requires another module even tho the app shows an option of start engine with flaps on/off/auto. But even then there could be a lag and I won't get that start up roar.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 12:31 AM   #16
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

you can probably have the module connect to e a relay that taps one of the accessory devices that turns on when you unlock the car and stays on when you start the car.

That way, the flaps will open when you push the unlock button on your key fob.
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00
      03-09-2020, 06:26 AM   #17
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
you can probably have the module connect to e a relay that taps one of the accessory devices that turns on when you unlock the car and stays on when you start the car.

That way, the flaps will open when you push the unlock button on your key fob.
The problem is once the module turns off it takes it 15 seconds for it to turn on.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 12:12 AM   #18
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

Quote:
The problem is once the module turns off it takes it 15 seconds for it to turn on.
unlock the car 15 seconds before you turn on the car..
Appreciate 0