BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bavsound Revenant Amp Upgrade?

03-21-2021, 03:40 PM   #23
OcmRz3r
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, G01 X3 M40i, F22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
The under-seat subs certainly do not get enough energy on the stock amp, so that's the only other real advantage of the Revenant amp.
Manufacturers as large and sophisticated as harman don't leave anything on the table. The factory underseats get exactly the amount of power they can take. The original HIFI underseats have a thermal power handling of about 25 watts, which is what they get from the HIFI amp. They aren't going to waste fractions of a penny on heavier gauge wire in the voice coil when it will only add weight/reduce sensitivity. Plug one of the aftermarket amps like Bavsound in and try to send more power, and you won't be doing it for long I can guarantee you reason those folks recommend starting with their amp as an upgrade is because the know you'll shortly be coming to them to replace your soon-to-be burnt speakers.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      03-24-2021, 09:11 PM   #24
JustAWhisper
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 M3, 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcmRz3r View Post
Manufacturers as large and sophisticated as harman don't leave anything on the table. The factory underseats get exactly the amount of power they can take. The original HIFI underseats have a thermal power handling of about 25 watts, which is what they get from the HIFI amp. They aren't going to waste fractions of a penny on heavier gauge wire in the voice coil when it will only add weight/reduce sensitivity. Plug one of the aftermarket amps like Bavsound in and try to send more power, and you won't be doing it for long I can guarantee you reason those folks recommend starting with their amp as an upgrade is because the know you'll shortly be coming to them to replace your soon-to-be burnt speakers.
While your thinking has some logic, you're missing an important piece. The speakers and amp in the 2-series are model specific in order to fit in the smaller space available and are total garbage due to the relatively low volume sales (i.e. cost-cutting). The underseat subs on the other hand are shared across a lot of BMW models including things like the 5-series which has a much better sound system.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 10:29 PM   #25
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
The under-seat subs certainly do not get enough energy on the stock amp, so that's the only other real advantage of the Revenant amp.
I'd be curious how you came in possession of the specs for the under seat speakers.

Retired: 2016 328i xDrive SportsWagon, 2010 Z4 sDrive 35i, 2006 530 xiT, 1999 323i
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 02:20 PM   #26
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Not even remotely true.

A lot of us have gone years on the stock speakers without ever having an issue, multiple times over. Speakers only GET full power to them at max volume with a sustained high-energy note. That isn't something anyone does to a speaker very often unless they're trying blow it on purpose.

Also, You're making a lot of assumptions about each driver being built for each individual application which isn't the case. These aren't bespoke components with each piece designed for exactly what the amp will do. They are relatively middle-of-the-road (or worse), mass-produced speakers made with off-the-shelf components.

May be a good idea to spend some time doing some real-world learning.
Appreciate 0