BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Local Crankhub Shop

08-15-2022, 10:16 PM   #1
liqourbox
Rep
Drives: M2C/RDX

Local Crankhub Shop

Anyone know of a good reputable shop to install the crankhub fix? Also what's the going cost in our area for this install? TIA.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 02:27 PM   #2
Doubledown21
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

RRT & RRT Racing
(226) · Auto repair shop
Sterling, VA · (703) 661-4222
Open ⋅ Closes 5PM

If I get mine done it will be done here.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 09:05 AM   #3
swampfox94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 - M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledown21 View Post
RRT & RRT Racing
(226) · Auto repair shop
Sterling, VA · (703) 661-4222
Open ⋅ Closes 5PM

If I get mine done it will be done here.
+1 for RRT I use them for all my track related stuff. Met the owner at the last bmw cca track day. Real nice guy and knows his stuff
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 10:43 AM   #4
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Not local but I'm considering making a 2800km trip to go here:

https://precisiondynamicsms.com
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2022, 06:39 AM   #5
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Tier 1 Car Care near Baltimore. Tommy does all the work on my M2 and supports the local BMW and PCA HPDE club events. I can get you his contact info.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2022, 02:33 PM   #6
hAxel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition, 2002 M3

Well add me to the list of people looking for local crank hub installers. It seems I've spun my crank hub this morning.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 07:00 AM   #7
///MPECABL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasBurnlife(landapanda) View Post
Tier 1 Car Care near Baltimore. Tommy does all the work on my M2 and supports the local BMW and PCA HPDE club events. I can get you his contact info.
Have you had Tommy and team do your Crankhub? Curious what they charged… I've questioned them about doing mine and wasn't sure if I'd end up doing it or not considering I'll be keeping my car for a while, but also always nervous to touch so many bolts/connections as it's not uncommon for something to end up not going back perfectly or someone missing something or forgetting to tighten something. I've also considered doing a DME swap (pre 2020 locked Bosch unit) to allow me to utilize some tuning improvements and possibly even E85 if I did to the crankhub.
      11-10-2022, 04:38 PM   #8
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPECABL View Post
Quote:
Have you had Tommy and team do your Crankhub? Curious what they charged… I've questioned them about doing mine and wasn't sure if I'd end up doing it or not considering I'll be keeping my car for a while, but also always nervous to touch so many bolts/connections as it's not uncommon for something to end up not going back perfectly or someone missing something or forgetting to tighten something. I've also considered doing a DME swap (pre 2020 locked Bosch unit) to allow me to utilize some tuning improvements and possibly even E85 if I did to the crankhub.
I haven't done anything to the internals.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 11:38 PM   #9
hAxel
Private
Rep

When my crankhub slipped I emailed Tier and never got a response, so I'd recommend calling them or something else to try and get ahold of them.

I also reached out to Cliff at TSD Motorsports (Kies recommends them) and Cliff's response was the most thorough response and they were the lowest cost. I really wanted to take it to TSD, but logistically it didn't really make sense for me since the hub was already spun and the 195+mile tow didn't seem like the best choice. If my hub hadn't already spun I likely would have used TSD. Also TSD followed up with me a week or so later to check in with me and see if there was any damage. Cliff and his team seemed very knowledgeable, thorough and caring. I don't have any actual experience with getting work done by them, but I strongly recommend hitting them up if it makes sense for you.

I also hit up AAG in Sterling, they were a little cheaper than RRT, but they use the Vargus hub and I wanted a pinned hub

I ended up taking it to RRT, they're 10 miles from me, they were able it get me in pretty quickly, and I've used them for other things, so I felt most comfortable with them. They're definitely pricy, but I'm happy with the work they performed.

I also had a friend of a friend recommend "Dale" who used to be a BMW tech, and has apparently done some crankhub jobs. I didn't reach out to Dale so I'm not sure what he'd charge. I'm sure he does good work, but wasn't sure I felt comfortable having someone do it in their garage. If someone is interested in going this route, I can try to get you in touch with him.

I picked up the car from RRT on Monday, in addition to the crankhub, they ran into some issues with the vanos solenoids and replaced them as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 10:27 PM   #10
Drauren
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hAxel View Post
When my crankhub slipped I emailed Tier and never got a response, so I'd recommend calling them or something else to try and get ahold of them.

I also reached out to Cliff at TSD Motorsports (Kies recommends them) and Cliff's response was the most thorough response and they were the lowest cost. I really wanted to take it to TSD, but logistically it didn't really make sense for me since the hub was already spun and the 195+mile tow didn't seem like the best choice. If my hub hadn't already spun I likely would have used TSD. Also TSD followed up with me a week or so later to check in with me and see if there was any damage. Cliff and his team seemed very knowledgeable, thorough and caring. I don't have any actual experience with getting work done by them, but I strongly recommend hitting them up if it makes sense for you.

I also hit up AAG in Sterling, they were a little cheaper than RRT, but they use the Vargus hub and I wanted a pinned hub

I ended up taking it to RRT, they're 10 miles from me, they were able it get me in pretty quickly, and I've used them for other things, so I felt most comfortable with them. They're definitely pricy, but I'm happy with the work they performed.

I also had a friend of a friend recommend "Dale" who used to be a BMW tech, and has apparently done some crankhub jobs. I didn't reach out to Dale so I'm not sure what he'd charge. I'm sure he does good work, but wasn't sure I felt comfortable having someone do it in their garage. If someone is interested in going this route, I can try to get you in touch with him.

I picked up the car from RRT on Monday, in addition to the crankhub, they ran into some issues with the vanos solenoids and replaced them as well.
What'd they charge you if you don't mind me asking, and was your car tuned?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 12:32 PM   #11
hAxel
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drauren View Post
What'd they charge you if you don't mind me asking, and was your car tuned?
Hey Drauren, Sorry for the delay haven't been on bimmerpost much lately. It was right around 5800 with the Vanos solenoids and tax. They had quoted me 5500 but that was without the Vanos solenoid issue, they only charged me parts for the solenoids.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 02:18 PM   #12
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hAxel View Post

I picked up the car [...]
BTW I have had to do rod bearings this spring and ended up going to Dale here in NoVa. Ended up going to MoSport and RoadAmerica and the car has been running like a clock.
Appreciate 1
hAxel91.00
      12-07-2023, 12:47 PM   #13
hAxel
Private
Rep

Quote:
BTW I have had to do rod bearings this spring and ended up going to Dale here in NoVa. Ended up going to MoSport and RoadAmerica and the car has been running like a clock.
Good to know. I'll likely hit him up next time I need something.
Appreciate 1