BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > M2C tire fitment help.....

04-05-2023, 02:01 PM   #1
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

M2C tire fitment help.....

Ok guys-- this is complicated, but when isn't it?

The basics:
2020 M2C:
- M-Performance suspension (lowered)
- Millay Street camber plates (~2.5 degrees?)
-Apex EC-7's
F:19x9.5, ET28 (OEM is 19/9 w/ ET29)
R:19x10.5, ET45. (OEM is 19x10 w/ ET40)
- Tires (100% clearance w/ M-P's conical springs-- but it's TIGHT):
Michelin MP4S 255/35/19 & 275/35/19 (+1 from OEM)
Michelin Cup2 Connect 255/35/29 & 275/35/19 (+1 from OEM)
- Tuned to ~100+ hp/tq

The Question:
I've been using Cup2 Connects for HPDE's. I really like them (at least until they start to get greasy at the end of a session), but they're expensive and I'm only getting about 5-6 track days out of them.

I'm considering the Bridgestone RE-71RS as they're roughly $100 cheaper per tire. However, I understand that there are fitment issues with them on occasion as they're wider and blockier than expected.

I'm reasonably sure that running them in 255/35/19 would hit the wheel shroud (not interested in molding it), so maybe go down to stock size of 245/35/19 in the front and 265/35/19 in the rear?

Pro's? Con's?

I haven't been able to find any "good" height/width numbers for the Cup2 Connects to compare them to the RE-71's-- and it's an expensive mistake if I get rubbing. All I know is that they run "large" for their size.

So, looking for advice from the Collective. Would I notice any real traction/handling difference going back down to 245/265 for HPDE's on the RE-71's? (I've already had traction issues with the Cup2's as I've been running a tune). The front is the issue for the most part. That MPS conical spring is very, very tight-- it works with both sets of my wheels right now, but there's not much more than ~5mm (that's a guess- it might be a little more) clearance between the wheel/sidewall and spring.

A little help? I'm not willing to change ride height, suspension, brakes or wheels-- so I have to make this work with what I have. Worst case it to put more Cup2's on but the Minister of War & Finance is starting to get testy at my consumables cost.

EDIT: Looking for an "arrive & drive" tire, but not too terribly concerned with wet traction-- most of the HPDE's here in the summer are pretty dry. All I'll be doing with the tire is putting it on at home, driving 1+30 to the track, doing the HPDE, driving home, then replacing it with my street wheels. Basically, I need a tire legal enough to drive on the interstate, but more biased to the track. And one that fits my setup. Sigh. It's NEVER easy.

TIA!

R.

Last edited by flybigjet; 04-05-2023 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 03:38 PM   #2
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

This is what I do every time I have to make a decision like this. I really helps me to see it clearly.

Remember, some of these tires run so wide that in the 245/265 size they are as wide as some 255/275's and can be lighter as well.

I put the V601 at the top because that's what I run. It's flawless in terms of sizing, can't be beat, so everything gets compared to that.

Always notice the 32nds vs the TW. It's not a hard and fast rule, but the PSC2 lasts nearly as long as a 9/32nds tire because it's 240 tw vs 200.

I also feel like it's damn near impossible to select 1 tire that's going to give you everything you want, from the performance to the longevity to the price, so you just have to bite the bullet and see if it works.

You can also see how damn wide that 71RS is!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
flybigjet6822.00
      04-21-2023, 02:56 PM   #3
mzvertigo
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Curious what you decided on?

I'm in the same situation. I'm running the same set of wheels but with stock suspension and was using the Apex tire guide. I was running 265/30/R19S F and 295/30/R19S R but heat cycled and corded those out after 6 track days.

Looking for replacements and if I stick with the same sizes of tires ...it's pretty limited and costly. Pretty much could go with toyo R888Rs but the longevity ain't great and they are the same prices as the Michelin PS4S. I track about 4~ 6 days a year.

Thoughts and recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 11:09 PM   #4
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzvertigo View Post
Curious what you decided on?

I'm in the same situation. I'm running the same set of wheels but with stock suspension and was using the Apex tire guide. I was running 265/30/R19S F and 295/30/R19S R but heat cycled and corded those out after 6 track days.

Looking for replacements and if I stick with the same sizes of tires ...it's pretty limited and costly. Pretty much could go with toyo R888Rs but the longevity ain't great and they are the same prices as the Michelin PS4S. I track about 4~ 6 days a year.

Thoughts and recommendations?
My tire hunt is on hold.

the Minister of War & Finance holds the purse strings (she's got four Masters, two of 'em in Finance & MBA) and she decided that we had to hold off a month or so until I bought them.

We compromised, so I'm holding off a month or so until I buy them.

I'm still going back and forth between the Cup2 Connect 240's, the RE-71RS's and the dark horse Advan AO52.

They will ONLY be used to drive to the track and back to do Open Lapping days or HPDE's.

Sigh. You'd think it would be easier.

R.