BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Longer lightweight wheel bolts ?

01-19-2023, 01:33 AM   #1
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Longer lightweight wheel bolts ?

I have 9.5x19 ET22 and 10.5x19 ET45 Apex wheels and have 7.5mm spacers at the rear so actually running ET22, ET37.5 I am using longer wheel bolts at the rear and they are HEAVY in comparison to the fronts, what's the best and cheapest way of keep this weight low. I suspect 4 or 5 of them would weigh enough of a difference to be meaningful (possibly more than the difference between a forges and flow formed wheel)

Any good quality hollo read bolts, ti bolts, will stuff save weight and is there a good make that does this ?

Tks All
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 06:47 PM   #2
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Your wheel bolts are negligible compared to say standard 2NH brakes vs AP's. Don't overthink it...

If anything, just get a stud kit, so holding the wheel nut will make you think it's light

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 02:31 AM   #3
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

True, I had just picked up the bag of bolts and had a heart attack !
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 05:11 PM   #4
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Buy titanium studs, $300 the cheapest.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 07:16 PM   #5
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I looked into lightweight studs also. It sound like a nice way to save weight but after reading about potential problems, I passed on the mod.
This us one of the threads that changed my mind.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1356233
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 11:27 PM   #6
Track/S
Major
Rep

That a random vendor on the forum posts a picture of a thread says absolutely nothing...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 08:36 AM   #7
SionLambert
Banned
Rep
Drives: Volvo

It's a great idea to choose longer and lighter wheel bolts to reduce the car's weight. Titanium bolts may be an excellent option to consider. Keep in mind that quality fasteners or mounting hardware may cost more, but it is worth it to ensure the safety and longevity of your vehicle. Usually, if I need pins, I order from scrooz.com.au because I have confidence in their quality. You might like them as they have a variety of high-quality bolts, including titanium bolts and hollow bolts that allow for less weight. Good luck with your search!

Last edited by SionLambert; 03-03-2023 at 02:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 12:36 AM   #8
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera2RS View Post
I have 9.5x19 ET22 and 10.5x19 ET45 Apex wheels and have 7.5mm spacers
IIRC, specifically with their wheels, Apex does not recommend running any spacers that range between 6mm to 10mm due to the BMW hub and primarily their chamfer wheel design. Anything ≤6 or ≥12 should be safe.

In such scenario (whereby wheel will not/cannot be fully flushed to the hub) will allow unwanted lateral and axial stress on your bolts (or studs), giving way to what’s called ‘fatigue failure’ - one day materials look, feel and operate as designed, then next… they’ll just either snap or create fissures (geez, I now recall Hook’s Law, Poisson's ratio from Uni days…blah blah).

All I’m saying is that you might want to double check if it’s really safe to run 7.5mm spacers with Apex rims, even if the spacers are hubcentric.
      03-03-2023, 03:00 PM   #9
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
IIRC, specifically with their wheels, Apex does not recommend running any spacers that range between 6mm to 10mm due to the BMW hub and primarily their chamfer wheel design. Anything ≤6 or ≥12 should be safe.

In such scenario (whereby wheel will not/cannot be fully flushed to the hub) will allow unwanted lateral and axial stress on your bolts (or studs), giving way to what’s called ‘fatigue failure’ - one day materials look, feel and operate as designed, then next… they’ll just either snap or create fissures (geez, I now recall Hook’s Law, Poisson's ratio from Uni days…blah blah).

All I’m saying is that you might want to double check if it’s really safe to run 7.5mm spacers with Apex rims, even if the spacers are hubcentric.
Bmw Motorsport does not agree with your comment
M2CS Racing 41mm front spacers.
M4 GT4 32mm front spacers.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 03:06 PM   #10
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track/S View Post
Bmw Motorsport does not agree with your comment
M2CS Racing 41mm front spacers.
M4 GT4 32mm front spacers.
Ok…perhaps. What rims are referenced in your comment, OEM ones?

Nonetheless, my comment was related to specifically using Apex wheels, which have a different chamber design than OEM ones.

Hey, you do you. If the manufacturer says they do not recommend a specific sized spacer with their wheel, I would heed that advice.
      03-07-2023, 01:51 AM   #11
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post

Most recommend 0-5mm and 10mm+ if hubcentric. So avoiding the reduced central support for spacers below 10mm, that's the reason Turner make them. The BMW fitment is the same, the chamfer is the same on Apex wheels. If it wasnt then 10mm or larger hub centric wouldn't fit
Appreciate 0