BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 2018 m2 mpe f87

02-01-2021, 04:27 PM   #1
///MPIRE
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tundra/2018 BMW M2

2018 m2 mpe f87

Hey guys,

Need some advice. I recently acquired an MPE, from a local pick up, for my 2018 F87. What I picked up was the full exhaust system and the actuators. The guy I picked it up from did not have the Wire harness/power block.

I was trying to do some research to find out if the wire harness/powerblock was necessary to have for the MPE to be installed or if I could go with a replacement part.

From my understanding, the wiring is just to control the valve flaps with the Bluetooth module. If I am wrong please correct me.

I have found a possible alternative to having the wire harnesses. The alternative the a CG Precision VSC-2. I will attach a link below for reference.

https://www.cgprecision.com/#!/VSC-2...egory=19266005

Can anyone advice if this can replace the original wire harness hardware that should have came with the MPE?

Also, if I decide not to go with replacing the wiring and still have the MPE installed, the only way to control the valves would be to manually open and close them correct?

Thanks for any advice!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 11:23 AM   #2
sikoskul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210_Bimmer View Post
Hey guys,

Need some advice. I recently acquired an MPE, from a local pick up, for my 2018 F87. What I picked up was the full exhaust system and the actuators. The guy I picked it up from did not have the Wire harness/power block.

I was trying to do some research to find out if the wire harness/powerblock was necessary to have for the MPE to be installed or if I could go with a replacement part.

From my understanding, the wiring is just to control the valve flaps with the Bluetooth module. If I am wrong please correct me.

I have found a possible alternative to having the wire harnesses. The alternative the a CG Precision VSC-2. I will attach a link below for reference.

https://www.cgprecision.com/#!/VSC-2...egory=19266005

Can anyone advice if this can replace the original wire harness hardware that should have came with the MPE?

Also, if I decide not to go with replacing the wiring and still have the MPE installed, the only way to control the valves would be to manually open and close them correct?

Thanks for any advice!
So I am pretty much in the exact same situation as you. I did a local pickup of just the MPE for my '18 and while one actuator is connected with stock connections, I was looking to try and control both sides. I actually just ordered the VSC-2, with an additional wiring harness for the other side, and am going to set it up (with extra programming) to cycle between having both valves open and both valves closed at button press. I'm still around a week or so out from having this installed, so I have no clue as to if/how this will work, but am hopeful that I will be able to go from (relatively) quiet to basically a muffler bypass at will.

So short answer to your question about needing the harness to install MPE, is no, the stock connector will connect to your driver's side actuator only and will control that actuator pretty much how it is stock, while the passenger side is unconnected and will stay in one position. I think most have it closed when there is no second harness, but I have it always open, which makes it sexy loud. I love the sound, but I do have instances where I would want it quieter, hence the hopeful fix above.

A side benefit of the VSC-2 is that apparently you can program one of the garage door opener buttons to perform the task, which makes it less cluttered (imo) and cleaner compared to the drink holder button. We'll see.

As far as your question about manually opening/closing the valves, someone may know better, but I'm pretty sure they're "stuck" in the position that the actuator is currently set at. You can probably remove the unplugged actuator to let it free, but then you'll probably get rattles and such from the loose valve.

Anyway, good luck and hopefully this was helpful.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 06:47 PM   #3
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
I actually recently removed my MPE controller and wiring from my car so if anyone is interested in an OEM controller, make me an offer!
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2021, 02:18 AM   #4
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Not sure for the MPE, but I have the Remus exhaust and the VSC2.

On the Remus a second actuator is required (one more than stock). There is a spot on both sides of the exhaust to install one actuator each.

The VSC2 takes the single feed line for the exhaust which, in stock form attaches on the drivers rear side, and splits it to connect to both the passenger actuator and the drivers. You then tuck the cables away under heat shielding.

Then you can control the flaps with the remote, or better yet, with your home link mirror buttons if you have 2 free.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 01:48 PM   #5
AnthraciteOG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Road & Track Build

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Hi

I have ran into this problem selling my MPE to another M2 owner last year. Fortunately my local mechanic shop was able to order the wires independently. It was $260 shipped with taxes too.

My shop told me they had to go through like 10 guys at the local BMW dealership parts department to get it ordered. The parts number is shown in this pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
ried791.50
      02-23-2021, 07:37 AM   #6
SheWentToJared
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthraciteOG View Post
Hi

I have ran into this problem selling my MPE to another M2 owner last year. Fortunately my local mechanic shop was able to order the wires independently. It was $260 shipped with taxes too.

My shop told me they had to go through like 10 guys at the local BMW dealership parts department to get it ordered. The parts number is shown in this pic
this guy helps!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 07:57 AM   #7
///MPIRE
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the responses and help everyone. It is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #8
RyanF87LBB
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

Where did you get the MPE? I'm in the southeast and looking for an m perf Exhuast.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 04:08 PM   #9
m.abidalla
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 m2 w ZMZ

Garage List
2018 bmw m2  [0.00]
If anyone's selling MPE with carbon tips in toronto or anywhere close in Ontario, message me!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 05:36 PM   #10
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.abidalla View Post
If anyone's selling MPE with carbon tips in toronto or anywhere close in Ontario, message me!

Try the members classified section
      03-04-2021, 07:24 AM   #11
///MPIRE
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanF87LBB View Post
Where did you get the MPE? I'm in the southeast and looking for an m perf Exhuast.
It was a local pick up in Texas
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 12:26 PM   #12
SAinSurrey
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoskul View Post
So I am pretty much in the exact same situation as you. I did a local pickup of just the MPE for my '18 and while one actuator is connected with stock connections, I was looking to try and control both sides. I actually just ordered the VSC-2, with an additional wiring harness for the other side, and am going to set it up (with extra programming) to cycle between having both valves open and both valves closed at button press. I'm still around a week or so out from having this installed, so I have no clue as to if/how this will work, but am hopeful that I will be able to go from (relatively) quiet to basically a muffler bypass at will.

So short answer to your question about needing the harness to install MPE, is no, the stock connector will connect to your driver's side actuator only and will control that actuator pretty much how it is stock, while the passenger side is unconnected and will stay in one position. I think most have it closed when there is no second harness, but I have it always open, which makes it sexy loud. I love the sound, but I do have instances where I would want it quieter, hence the hopeful fix above.

A side benefit of the VSC-2 is that apparently you can program one of the garage door opener buttons to perform the task, which makes it less cluttered (imo) and cleaner compared to the drink holder button. We'll see.

As far as your question about manually opening/closing the valves, someone may know better, but I'm pretty sure they're "stuck" in the position that the actuator is currently set at. You can probably remove the unplugged actuator to let it free, but then you'll probably get rattles and such from the loose valve.

Hi - I am in the same boat in that I bought a used MPE for my M2 non-comp and looking into the CG Precision VSC-2. Did you order this version or did you need the one with modified wiring for the extra USD118?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 10:55 AM   #13
///MPIRE
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoskul View Post

Did you ever get the chance to install the CG VSC-2? What settings did you end up ordering? "Default' closed and 'activated" open? Where did you order yours from and how long did it take to receive?

Also was the additional harness needed? I thought the MPE would be compatible without an additional harness given that is has 2 actuators already and the wiring connects to both with the CG VSC-2

Finally, you mentioned wanting the ability to open and close all the valves, if you ordered the controller default closed and activated open, how does this work with comfort, sport, and sport+ driving modes? What I mean is if you change to sport with the default settings will the valves still be closed because you haven't activated your controller or will they open because of the car being in sport?
Appreciate 0