BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Automotive News: BMW pulls out of Detroit auto show

03-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Automotive News: BMW pulls out of Detroit auto show

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Quote:
DETROIT -- BMW is joining German rival Mercedes-Benz and pulling out of the Detroit auto show.

The decision by another major European brand to pull out of the annual January show comes as the Detroit Auto Dealers Association contemplates moving the show to October starting in 2020, and recasting it as a less-expensive show that is more focused on products and technology. Jaguar, Land Rover, Porsche and Mazda and most major exotic sports car makers and ultraluxury brands also skipped the Detroit show this year.

"BMW Group has decided to withdraw from the North American International Auto Show in Detroit," the company said Friday. "This decision was made as BMW Group is constantly examining our presence at trade-shows and other engagements, while, at the same time, also exploring alternative platforms and formats. The overall goal is to communicate our ideas and plans regarding future mobility in the best way and achieve the greatest possible visibility for our products, technologies and innovations."

The DADA believes it can stem and even reverse the loss of participating automakers in the Detroit auto show by holding the event in the fall, when the weather in Detroit is more hospitable and, most importantly, by reducing operating costs. The DADA wants to recast the show to make it more like the Geneva auto show, where the focus is on vehicles and technology, not just on opulent multistory displays. A vote by the dealer group is expected by mid-April.

BMW's 2018 display was already toned down compared with previous years when the company showed vehicles from its various brands, from motorcycles to Rolls-Royces. This year, there were no motorcycles and no Mini vehicles on display when the show opened to the public.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...L03/180329796/
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Yes the move to October in 2020 is not entirely compatible especially as Tokyo alternates in October as does the huge European event the Mondial l'auto in Paris in October.

This weeks NYIAS is a regional show with the US Premiere of the US built X4.
Beijings Auto China in April will announce the M2 Competition and exclusive iX3 Concept Car.
jmg18493.00
      03-25-2018, 12:05 AM   #3
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Interesting...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Huge bummer for the Detroit show. First the exotic brands and Jag/LR, then Mercedes, and now BMW. The only Euro brands remaining are VW and Audi, who I do not suspect will pull out due to a minor corporate presence in the region.

Outside a couple wealthy pockets metro Detroit is incredibly middle class. Everybody drives a Big 3 vehicle either due to direct employment or employment at a supplier or Friends & Family discount. I suppose BMW figures it's not worth the cost of renting space, setting up displays, etc. for a market that doesn't produce a ton of sales.

The show reached its peak roughly 10-15 yrs ago before social media, Youtube, etc. were that much of a thing. I remember the elaborate displays, the insane concept cars, the corporate lounges with endless food, the posters being handed out like candy. Good times...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 07:53 PM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Outside a couple wealthy pockets metro Detroit is incredibly middle class. Everybody drives a Big 3 vehicle either due to direct employment or employment at a supplier or Friends & Family discount. I suppose BMW figures it's not worth the cost of renting space, setting up displays, etc. for a market that doesn't produce a ton of sales.
While I agree that the Detroit Metropolitan Area is not known for its wealthy neighborhoods, which indeed are few, and certainly American cars proliferate the roadways, European luxury cars, including BMWs are quite common around the region as well. This is not as true of Japanese luxury vehicles, by the way, which seem to be less acceptable, even as Honda and Toyota vehicles are quite popular.

The fact is, when it comes to luxury offerings, American manufacturers still lag behind the Germans when it comes to excitement. Cadillac comes the closest, but one not so obvious cultural nuance here is that if you are, for example, a "Ford Guy", you are more likely to be able to justify a BMW than a Cadillac. And, your gear-head family and friends will largely understand why you have no interest in a Lincoln.

I think that if BMW had thought there were any risk to sales by pulling out, they'd not have made the choice. The reality though, is that auto sales in general in this day and age are less and less dependent on presence at shows. So, I don't think this is a question of the geographical region nor Detroit being a small market for BMW - I just think that trade shows are slowly becoming irrelevant.
Appreciate 2
Igor_M52129.00
ghaffari461079.50
      03-25-2018, 08:44 PM   #6
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
They were a no-show in Atlanta this year as well.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 09:11 PM   #7
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
While I agree that the Detroit Metropolitan Area is not known for its wealthy neighborhoods, which indeed are few, and certainly American cars proliferate the roadways, European luxury cars, including BMWs are quite common around the region as well. This is not as true of Japanese luxury vehicles, by the way, which seem to be less acceptable, even as Honda and Toyota vehicles are quite popular.

The fact is, when it comes to luxury offerings, American manufacturers still lag behind the Germans when it comes to excitement. Cadillac comes the closest, but one not so obvious cultural nuance here is that if you are, for example, a "Ford Guy", you are more likely to be able to justify a BMW than a Cadillac. And, your gear-head family and friends will largely understand why you have no interest in a Lincoln.

I think that if BMW had thought there were any risk to sales by pulling out, they'd not have made the choice. The reality though, is that auto sales in general in this day and age are less and less dependent on presence at shows. So, I don't think this is a question of the geographical region nor Detroit being a small market for BMW - I just think that trade shows are slowly becoming irrelevant.
For sure. Auto shows in general seem to have lessening relevance due to the rise of social media, Youtube, etc. You don't need to visit an auto show to see a car, you can learn everything about it for free online.

But I do think location plays some role. BMW and Mercedes didn't pull out of other big shows, at least not yet.

Anyhow, I'm glad I was able to experience the show during its glory days when every manufacturer was there and the concept cars were wastefully extravagant.
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2018, 09:20 PM   #8
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

I have better things to do than a car show. I have to deal with traffic, pay for parking. Pay to get in, etc. For what again? This is not 1996.
Appreciate 3
DCG780.50
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      03-25-2018, 10:11 PM   #9
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
But I do think location plays some role. BMW and Mercedes didn't pull out of other big shows, at least not yet.
Rumors flying around Mercedes may not be at Geneva next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 08:40 AM   #10
TomD335xicoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI me ,19 x3 M40 wife

I love the NYC auto show, coming next week. Go every year since I can remember. Never bought a car because of the show, just like being surrounded buy all that metal. Always went alone so I can have all the time I need to look and not be bothered by conversations or side tracks by friends. This year going to break from tradition and take my 12 year old grand son who is not very interested in cars yet. I hope I can peek his interest.
      03-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #11
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Not like auto shows really do much for the car brands anymore.

With the internet, youtube reviews, etc., they're not really getting much out of them. It's really just PR if some big news agency covers a new technology or platform.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
bonsai
OG 3er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3/2018 F82 M4 Compet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD335xicoupe View Post
I love the NYC auto show, coming next week. Go every year since I can remember. Never bought a car because of the show, just like being surrounded buy all that metal. Always went alone so I can have all the time I need to look and not be bothered by conversations or side tracks by friends. This year going to break from tradition and take my 12 year old grand son who is not very interested in cars yet. I hope I can peek his interest.
Car ownership and driving will largely be a thing of the past by the time your grandson has kids of his own. But, I support your efforts and I hope you instill in him the gear head values we on this forum hold dear!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 10:33 AM   #13
Mototrav22
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i (DCT)

Bye Bye Detroit!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #14
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:

Indeed, when it comes to streamlining and being more profitable ... large corporate trips tend to get the ax.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #15
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
I don't believe money is the issue here at all. There are multiple uber expensive/rich areas surrounding Detroit. People there can definitely afford to drive whatever vehicles they want but as others have stated... the average family owns big three vehicles with a heavy bias on Ford. Then, the people that have expendable income to blow on cars choose Cadillac or maybe Lincoln. Rightfully so, I suppose.

Been to this show once and had a great time. Definitely first class, sad to see BMW bow out.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #16
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Are they coming to the LA auto show? BMW is part of LA car culture and we have bimmerfest. Not to mention Hollywood and Beverly Hills. Also Malibu beach culture, Manhattan Beach, Newport Beach and Scott BMW Smith Rusnak and several other top rated dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 11:17 AM   #17
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Are they coming to the LA auto show? BMW is part of LA car culture and we have bimmerfest. Not to mention Hollywood and Beverly Hills. Also Malibu beach culture, Manhattan Beach, Newport Beach and Scott BMW Smith Rusnak and several other top rated dealerships.
Yes, they will be there. Don't think they will ever miss that event considering their customer base in California. Would have to guess its their biggest market in USA.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #18
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
BMW display in Chicago this year was pretty lame.

This story makes sense now. At the time I was commenting how it seemed they put as little effort into it as possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 12:16 PM   #19
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
In what must be BMW's largest market outside Germany, BMW hardly tried at the L.A. Auto Show. They also didn't have Rolls-Royce there.

Auto Shows are becoming a thing of the past.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #20
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:

My friend you hit this nail right on the head! I am “a Ford guy” and always will be, I should be I’ve worked there for almost 20 years. I support the company always will own/lease Ford products as I currently own a Ford truck. But as you put it the type of person I am and my preference for they type of feel and driving dynamics and price point Lincoln can never provide sadly. I cannot being myself to purchase an MKZ a fancy Fusion. That lineup is just numb to me. The last relevant Lincoln vehicle went out of production 12 years ago that had anything going for it that was somewhat sporty was the “LS”. And the price points are just outrageous. We had a new 2018 Navigator in our corporate fleet garage with a sticker price of $101,000! Are you kidding me! I’ll take an Used X5 and new M2 for that .
Can’t stand GM or Cadillac, refuse to drive a Cadillac.

With all that being said I’ve owned, well my wife and have owned a total of 6 BMW’s and is our go to Luxury brand. I guess I’m a bit bias because I’m european born and have loved BMW’s since I could make our car brands at the age of 6.

And I agree bmw pulling out of Detroit will have zero impact on the sales. Everything is you tube review oriented now days and it will continue to evolve in this manner.

And BMW if you’re listening please build me an M2 with 4 doors! Please !!

Last edited by Jadar; 03-26-2018 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7505.50
      03-26-2018, 01:53 PM   #21
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
BMW display in Chicago this year was pretty lame.

This story makes sense now. At the time I was commenting how it seemed they put as little effort into it as possible.
Chicago show has been really on a decline for some years now. The last time I went when the M2 was debut and I went to see the LBB launch car for myself (literally the only new product of interest). My wife and I made our round at the bmw display, walked through the Porsche exhibit and left. Literally there for 45 minutes and it’s an hour drive for us to Chicago. Yes super lame! That was the last one I went to and seriously doubt I’d go ever again unless they start doing something spectacular lol.
      03-26-2018, 02:05 PM   #22
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Unhappy

I think there's nothing like seeing something in real life 3-D. I'll never forget going to the New York car shows as a kid seeing the wicked concept cars, that still have NOT made it to production today , and that's why I never went into transportation design.

My Old Man was not a car guy, but my Grandfather was an engineer. So I must have inherited my fascination of design and quality engineering. My first time at the New York International Auto Show, standing around the Ferrari booth with what I would say was at least 100 people drooling over their cars and a specific model. As a young kid fascinated by what I was seeing, one of the Ferrari reps asked if I would like to sit in they're one-of-a-kind car. I replied "yes", so he pulled up the velvet rope and opened the door for me, everyone freaked out. And I was like hell yeah!!! Those things stick with you.

Back in 1999 BMW had the real James Bond World Not Enough: 007 Silver Z8 on display. Kids see that and never forget it, and one day dream to purchase something as cool. Remember kids grow up and become future drivers and owners and loyal fans.

Perhaps it's time to remarket and properly advertise these car shows, and also make them more interactive, meaning test drive some models.

Regards to BMW they should always have all their models including all their motorcycles to cross pollinate.

One year I went to the New York International Motorcycle Show and KTM was a no-show, that showed me that they didn't give a shit and we're on the decline in our neck of the woods. So I instantly eliminated KTM from my wishlist, especially when the local dealership closed.

***Also one great thing about the car shows is that you can spend as much time looking at, sitting in, soaking up the brand without having to go to a snobby dealership and be treated poorly because of your younger age or appearance. And the salesman's don't want to answer any questions unless you're purchasing. And I cannot stand that still to this day!!!

If BMWs not gonna be at some car shows, then they need to have more local events, that would make sense.

Last edited by DCG; 03-26-2018 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
RPM90889.50