BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Did I screw up going with cup 2s?

01-26-2021, 03:15 PM   #1
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Did I screw up going with cup 2s?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Been reading some comments about how they tear up the car. I’m going PPF wrap and mud guards but even that doesn’t make the car invincible. Should I have bought PSS? I figure I can order them now but the idea of tearing off the brand new tires on all 4 rims is nerve wracking to say the least

I thought about ordering a set of tires and rims and get the gold 763m but those apparently have been discontinued or going for 8000? Thoughts?
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 03:32 PM   #2
kyrocks
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiv.M3 View Post
Been reading some comments about how they tear up the car. I’m going PPF wrap and mud guards but even that doesn’t make the car invincible. Should I have bought PSS? I figure I can order them now but the idea of tearing off the brand new tires on all 4 rims is nerve wracking to say the least

I thought about ordering a set of tires and rims and get the gold 763m but those apparently have been discontinued or going for 8000? Thoughts?
Seriously, they are tires. Easily changeable if you wish. I have PSS and would have preferred MPSC2. You will be ok. Don't worry about it.
Appreciate 4
      01-26-2021, 03:36 PM   #3
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
As long as you have PPF you're fine. But yes, they will grab/throw more rocks than standard (less sticky) tires like the PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 04:09 PM   #4
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Take em off. Install them when you sell the car 30 years from now.

Original tires stored properly brings all the monies
F87EVO4004.00
smknjoe234.00
      01-26-2021, 04:18 PM   #5
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Lightbulb

Super glad I got the cup 2s. I drive them when dry, cold, cold and wet. No issues. They heat up quick, and I have the track connect sensors to play with. I was surprised how well they do in the wet. You can always order a set of PS4S and store the cup2s until warmer weather. They don't throw up enough debris to tear up the PPF. Maybe dull it over time, but time will tell that story. All this was to say don't worry about it unless you are planning to drive in snow.

Edit:. My "cold" relative to Charlotte NC. My garage rarely gets below 50F

Last edited by medphysdave; 01-26-2021 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 2
Davil6333.50
      01-26-2021, 04:28 PM   #6
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

Due to the design of the car, any tire, even if cold and hard as a hockey puck, will throw rocks onto the middle area of the doors, and back near where the factory PPF is installed in the rear quarters.

However, yes, a warm Cup 2 are sand blasters. For a daily driven vehicle the PSS is a better choice, unless you have the money to afford replacing the Cup2's constantly. Also, the PSS won't crack in sub-20f temps. I've had Cup 2's in my garage not even mounted on a car crack when it got really cold. That is why BMW required the waiver for the Cup 2's. They literally fall apart at cold enough temps because they get so hard. If you keep the Cup 2's and live somewhere where your garage will get under 20f make sure you put a heat lamp, or store the Cup 2's inside.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2021, 05:45 PM   #7
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Pull them off and sell if your concerned. Use the money to buy a set of something different. That's what I did.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2021, 05:53 PM   #8
mus27
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 997.2 gt3, e63s wagon, e39 m5

Garage List
Where ru located? I’ll swap my pss with gold wheels for cup2 with gold wheels.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2021, 02:24 PM   #9
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Pull them off and sell if your concerned. Use the money to buy a set of something different. That's what I did.
What did you end up getting?
      01-30-2021, 03:01 PM   #10
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchart View Post
I've had Cup 2's in my garage not even mounted on a car crack when it got really cold. That is why BMW required the waiver for the Cup 2's. They literally fall apart at cold enough temps because they get so hard. If you keep the Cup 2's and live somewhere where your garage will get under 20f make sure you put a heat lamp, or store the Cup 2's inside.
Wow. Do you have a scan of said waiver?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 03:30 PM   #11
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Waiver: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1725514
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 2
VisualEcho6625.50
      01-30-2021, 04:08 PM   #12
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Due to the design of the car, any tire, even if cold and hard as a hockey puck, will throw rocks onto the middle area of the doors, and back near where the factory PPF is installed in the rear quarters.

However, yes, a warm Cup 2 are sand blasters. For a daily driven vehicle the PSS is a better choice, unless you have the money to afford replacing the Cup2's constantly. Also, the PSS won't crack in sub-20f temps. I've had Cup 2's in my garage not even mounted on a car crack when it got really cold. That is why BMW required the waiver for the Cup 2's. They literally fall apart at cold enough temps because they get so hard. If you keep the Cup 2's and live somewhere where your garage will get under 20f make sure you put a heat lamp, or store the Cup 2's inside.
I took this picture yesterday after some long driving through state forrest roads. You can see where the road splatter hits the car.

Interestingly, you can clearly see the benefits of the black wheel arch extenders if you zoom up on the arches. The splatter is noticeably less for the zones radiating out and above them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-30-2021, 04:27 PM   #13
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Cup2 are great tires. I wouldn't think twice about running them unless you use the car in cold temperatures. They will definitely wear faster than PSS or 4S but they last surprisingly long for what they are. Any tire throws up dirt and water. I would disagree that the Cup2 does so appreciably more than any other tire.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 2
kyrocks1070.50
      01-30-2021, 04:50 PM   #14
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Cup2 are great tires. I wouldn't think twice about running them unless you use the car in cold temperatures. They will definitely wear faster than PSS or 4S but they last surprisingly long for what they are. Any tire throws up dirt and water. I would disagree that the Cup2 does so appreciably more than any other tire.
Yeah, that's just 100% false. In warm weather the Cup2's are meant to be used in they WILL grab everything on the road and fling it. Just take a look at some Cup 2's after a drive, and look at all the crap stuck in them, and the deep indentations left in the tire. Compare this to PSS, Extremecontact Sports, etc, and they aren't nearly as bad. Sure, UHP summer tires generally do this, but not to the extreme of aptly named extreme category tires like the Cup2's, or other class-equivalents like Dunlop Star Specs, etc.

And frankly, the wear rate of extreme category tires is just absurd. I've ran Cup 2's in two different vehicles as they came with them from the factory, and I got maybe around 3k miles on them, and it's not like I tracked the vehicles ever. That was just the wear from normal spirited driving on backroads. PSS/Extreme Contact Sports on those same vehicles got me closer to 15k miles.

Last edited by mchart; 01-30-2021 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 2
chris7197273.00
      01-30-2021, 04:58 PM   #15
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, that's just 100% false. In warm weather the Cup2's are meant to be used in they WILL grab everything on the road and fling it. Just take a look at some Cup 2's after a drive, and look at all the crap stuck in them, and the deep indentations left in the tire. Compare this to PSS, Extremecontact Sports, etc, and they aren't nearly as bad. Sure, UHP summer tires generally do this, but not to the extreme of aptly named extreme category tires like the Cup2's, or other class-equivalents like Dunlop Star Specs, etc.
OK, I should clarify. I would disagree that the Cup2 throws appreciably more road debris than any other PERFORMANCE tire. I have tested nearly every high performance tire available in BMW sizes over the past 10 years.

Geeze the way you describe it, the side of the car will be destroyed if running Cup2. I track and street drive the car with very aggressive fitment on Cup2 (and equivalents) without paint damage. That being said, I would not make my tire decision based on how much debris it throws. I would make it based on what I wanted to achieve - ultimate grip for canyon carving, pure street, track, dual purpose, etc. If you want longevity I agree that there are certainly better tires (which is what I already said). I personally run 4S on my daily driver (and snows in the winter), Cup2 category tires on my weekend car.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 01-30-2021 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 4
      01-30-2021, 05:59 PM   #16
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Quote:

I took this picture yesterday after some long driving through state forrest roads. You can see where the road splatter hits the car.

Interestingly, you can clearly see the benefits of the black wheel arch extenders if you zoom up on the arches. The splatter is noticeably less for the zones radiating out and above them.
Given you are still running her in, this is happening without even being pushed. What, I wonder, will be the case when she's run in and pushed around a bit!?
      01-30-2021, 06:07 PM   #17
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
OK, I should clarify. I would disagree that the Cup2 throws appreciably more road debris than any other PERFORMANCE tire.
You mean street/track tire. And I agree.

The stickier the tire, the more road debris will be thrown onto the car, but these street/track, or light-comp tires are exponentially worse than standard street tires, just like their wear.

In short, I agree with you, but I use pure street tires on the street, and pure track tires on track. But I'm a tire whore, so I even use pure winter tires in Winter.
Appreciate 2
slicer2733.00
      01-30-2021, 06:08 PM   #18
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
You mean street/track tire. And I agree.

The stickier the tire, the more road debris will be thrown onto the car, but these street/track, or light-comp tires are exponentially worse than standard street tires, just like their wear.

In short, I agree with you, but I use pure street tires on the street, and pure track tires on track. But I'm a tire whore, so I even use pure winter tires in Winter.
Yes, I do that too. The 4S are stored and replaced with snows on my daily.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      01-30-2021, 09:47 PM   #19
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Given you are still running her in, this is happening without even being pushed. What, I wonder, will be the case when she's run in and pushed around a bit!?
There was a lot of her debris on the roads when driving. I think there should be a lot less debris on a track
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2021, 10:26 PM   #20
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Cup 2 Connect are a different tyre to Cup 2. They have a tread wear rating of 240 and a new construction and new compound which is better in the wet. Maybe they will still suck in very cold climates but I'm lucky enough not to live in one.

For comparison the Bridgestones RE003s on my WRX have a tread wear rating of 220.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2021, 11:21 PM   #21
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
There was a lot of her debris on the roads when driving. I think there should be a lot less debris on a track
90% of the chips and dings on my 1M are from the track . . . gravel thrown onto the surface at the apex or track out areas from some bunglehead widening the track a foot too much, tire marbles, the occasional bolt. The track thrashes your car.

Also on this topic, the BFG Rival S was by far the worst tire I ever had for picking up, holding and/or throwing debris. I will never daily drive on those again. They are less grippy (meaning handling performance) than a Bridgestone RE71r, but seem to want to pick up everything. The Toyo T1R I used last year did not pick up as much crap of I drove over gravel with them in the paddock. I have no idea how the Cup2's compare to those, but can imagine they are much worse than a typical street tire.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 2
Jimjamz4536.50
      01-31-2021, 12:29 AM   #22
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Quote:
90% of the chips and dings on my 1M are from the track . . . gravel thrown onto the surface at the apex or track out areas from some bunglehead widening the track a foot too much, tire marbles, the occasional bolt. The track thrashes your car.

Also on this topic, the BFG Rival S was by far the worst tire I ever had for picking up, holding and/or throwing debris. I will never daily drive on those again. They are less grippy (meaning handling performance) than a Bridgestone RE71r, but seem to want to pick up everything. The Toyo T1R I used last year did not pick up as much crap of I drove over gravel with them in the paddock. I have no idea how the Cup2's compare to those, but can imagine they are much worse than a typical street tire.
Good points. I haven't been on a track for several years and had forgotten about this. I'm on PSS and they seem very good. All of the debris on my car the other day came up from the wet road. What was more interesting to me was the spatter zones on the car. The rear PPF and wheel arch extrusions clearly served their purpose as they did their job yesterday. After a clean not a scrape or chip to be seen. Very happy.
Appreciate 1