BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Security - Are Ghost / CANBUS immobilisers secure? F87 M2 LCI

03-26-2024, 04:17 PM   #1
BrenIRL
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2, Honda S2000 & EK Civic

Security - Are Ghost / CANBUS immobilisers secure? F87 M2 LCI

What enhanced security do people recommend on this car?

I've had a few recommendations towards the Ghost CANBUS immobiliser.

Then I've found this:

... which suggests it can be bypassed "relatively simply"...

That video doesnt give much (read "any") detail unfortunately.

Then I saw this,

While it is obviously designed as advertising for Pandora, does provide some reasoning on why Ghost could be by-passed.
If I've understood rightly, its either by locating and removing the module, or cutting the wire going from it tapped into the CANBUS, thus removing the interruption programming it provides.

Their argument seems to makes sense - that is, of this (Ghost) compared to (well hidden) normally-open (i.e. requiring instruction from the alarm brain to close the loop) immobilisers, whereby even if one finds the alarm brain, removing it/cutting it out is not sufficient. You would also then have to track it's wires to each immobilisation point and bridge the immobilised wire.

The comments on that video also mention that the Ghost immobiliser brain's wires are colour-coded to specific functions, where as part of the requirements for an alarm to be Thatcham Cat1 is for its wires to all be black, thus further confusing the would-be thief, or at least , further delaying them.

Elsewhere, I've read other comments suggesting once inside the car with OBD access, with the right equipment, thieves only need minutes to override Ghost or similar systems, and/or default flash the system, thus removing the coding of the Ghost. Any credence to this?

I'm interested in any experience or comments on the above, particularly where there is any unique points regarding the F87 M2.

Of course, if someone really wants your car, they'll get it, and/or they will destroy the dash and wiring trying to figure it out... and perhaps, Ghost is a good option - it will stop a thief who's managed to steal a key and/or grab the signal, or , break a window and use some form of CANBUS tool to get the car started, but, then finds it wont go into gear and/or cuts out when he tries (or she, equal opportunities for car thievery...).

Unless they have the skills/tools/time to go hunting deeper to bypass the Ghost system, they will leave. But if they have those, then, likelihood is it doesnt matter what system you have, they'll get to it eventually or destroy your wiring trying...

Perhaps its cleaner if they have the gadgetry to bypass the Ghost, and thus make off with the car without destroying anything... then you rely on a tracker to hopefully get it back?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 04:25 PM   #2
murderspice
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

You live in beruit?
      Yesterday, 10:27 AM   #3
Markyc66
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I have a ghost fitted to my OG.

The previous owner had it installed so can’t pass comment on how etc.

I also run a steering wheel lock when parked up on tye drive at home.(where it spends 95% of its life)
This is more of a visual deterrent so if someone does look in they see that and is hopefully put them off enough and not return.
The ghost is good to put your mind at rest.
It allows the car to be started but as soon as a gear is selected it cuts out (I have DCT BTW)
Not all ghosts work the same as that.

I also have an apple tag buried somewhere. Some may say overkill but I don’t think I’d ever want the car back if it got stolen.

I have a friend who has had 3x range rovers, defender,m2/3/4’s.
Every time a new car is purchased a new ghost is fitted/transferred over from the previous car.
None of said car’s have been stolen and for a Range Rover Esp In the uk (south east too close to shipping ports) it’s a sign that it works.
Appreciate 0