BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > FS: Dinan Stages 1-4 Tuner

01-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

FS: Dinan Stages 1-4 Tuner

Hey guys.

I made the jump to BM3 from Dinan for my engine tune to go with my Dinan Turbo. Before I posted in the main forum for sale, thought I’d post it here for an easy sell and pick up for someone.

It’s unlocked for Stages 1-4, so you can run any of those Stages for more power depending on your mods, all the way up to the Dinan Turbo (Stage 4).

It comes with Dinan’s warranty, is plug & play, and is adjustable via Dinan’s Bluetooth app.

If you’re interested, shoot me a PM with a fair offer and we’ll see if we can make a deal!

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 06:09 AM   #2
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Hey guys.

I made the jump to BM3 from Dinan for my engine tune to go with my Dinan Turbo. Before I posted in the main forum for sale, thought I’d post it here for an easy sell and pick up for someone.

It’s unlocked for Stages 1-4, so you can run any of those Stages for more power depending on your mods, all the way up to the Dinan Turbo (Stage 4).

It comes with Dinan’s warranty, is plug & play, and is adjustable via Dinan’s Bluetooth app.

If you’re interested, shoot me a PM with a fair offer and we’ll see if we can make a deal!

Thanks.
Zack - curious of what drove you to try a different tune and what your general feedback is on the stage 4 Dinan in terms of daily drivability. I find myself getting into plenty of trouble with the first two gears with the base engine. Does Dinan five the ability to turn down the boost for daily driving? Good luck with the sale!
Appreciate 1
ZM22783.50
      01-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #3
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landapanda View Post
Zack - curious of what drove you to try a different tune and what your general feedback is on the stage 4 Dinan in terms of daily drivability. I find myself getting into plenty of trouble with the first two gears with the base engine. Does Dinan five the ability to turn down the boost for daily driving? Good luck with the sale!
Hey Peter.

Your biggest issue with the first two gears are those Conti's. I ran Stage 1 with the Dinan tune (+31hp & +31ftlbs) for a while with both 265 PSS and 285 PS4S. The 265's handled it fine, the 285's were a little more than what was needed.

You can't adjust boost by gear with the Dinan tune, just overall boost target. Each stage higher adds about 3/4-psi more to the target.

My main reason for switching is I have an annual track battle with my Uncle that is turning into an arms race. He has a Turner Motorsports prepped, supercharged E93 M3 (yes, the heavy convertible). 640hp with full aftermarket struts, springs, bars, and F&R BBK.

He beat me two summers ago when my car was relatively stock and I was on a 265 square setup. I came back last year with Stage 4 and a 265/35 & 295/30 setup and beat him. He was not happy!

A lot of my win was down to more rubber in the rear, and I could put more power down quicker than he could (he was on a 275 square setup). Knowing he learned that lesson, he's going to fix that issue, plus make other tweaks. So, I'm in the process of essentially "max'ing" out my M2.

The BM3 tune is giving me a little more power & a decent bit more torque. 285s were good enough for Dinan Stage 4, but now I'm spinning tires with half throttle in 2nd gear with BM3. So, I'll probably need to go 295/30s on the street for more traction. And, the daily drivability of either Dinan or BM3 is great, and makes the car a lot more fun, IMO.

The Dinan tuner is good for what it is: an adjustable conservative tune with more power, and a warranty. I'm now exposed with BM3 if my engine blows, but with Dinan, they cover it.

Anywho, she's up for grabs. So, if anyone local wants it, let me know.

Last edited by ZM2; 01-14-2019 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Quote:
Hey Peter.

Your biggest issue with the first two gears are those Conti's. I ran Stage 1 with the Dinan tune (+31hp & +31ftlbs) for a while with both 265 PSS and 285 PS4S. The 265's handled it fine, the 285's were a little more than what was needed.

You can't adjust boost by gear with the Dinan tune, just overall boost target. Each stage higher adds about 3/4-psi more to the target.

My main reason for switching is I have an annual track battle with my Uncle that is turning into an arms race. He has a Turner Motorsports prepped, supercharged E93 M3 (yes, the heavy convertible). 640hp with full aftermarket struts, springs, bars, and F&R BBK.

He beat me two summers ago when my car was relatively stock and I was on a 265 square setup. I came back last year with Stage 4 and a 265/35 & 295/30 setup and beat him. He was not happy!

A lot of my win was down to more rubber in the rear, and I could put more power down quicker than he could (he was on a 275 square setup). Knowing he learned that lesson, he's going to fix that issue, plus make other tweaks. So, I'm in the process of essentially "max'ing" out my M2.

The BM3 tune is giving me a little more power & a decent bit more torque. 285s were good enough for Dinan Stage 4, but now I'm spinning tires with half throttle in 2nd gear with BM3. So, I'll probably need to go 295/30s on the street for more traction. And, the daily drivability of either Dinan or BM3 is great, and makes the car a lot more fun, IMO.

The Dinan tuner is good for what it is: an adjustable conservative tune with more power, and a warranty. I'm now exposed with BM3 if my engine blows, but with Dinan, they cover it.

Anywho, she's up for grabs. So, if anyone local wants it, let me know.
Sounds like your uncle is costing you your kids 529 plan. There better be some money on the line next time you line up! After that it's all about weight savings, tossing out the rear seats, bucket seats up front a some more aero up front and in the back.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like your uncle is costing you your kids 529 plan. There better be some money on the line next time you line up! After that it's all about weight savings, tossing out the rear seats, bucket seats up front a some more aero up front and in the back.
Hahah, yeah. It’s a “good excuse” to blow money on fun stuff. I love the car, and I plan on keeping it for a long while, so that helps “justify” some of the fun.

Plus, it’s such a great DD, and I plan on keeping it that way. No aftermarket sway bars just Dinan coilovers bc they’re softer than other options, no loud intake & exhaust mods, no weight stripping or aero, etc.

He’ll inevitably beat me when he decides to go extreme, or shows up with a GT3. Then, I’ll have to get him in a real race car so we can have a skills battle.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #6
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Hire a pro instructor and you'll shave off more lap time than adding 100 hp.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:01 PM   #7
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Hire a pro instructor and you'll shave off more lap time than adding 100 hp.
No doubt.

One of the guys on our AER team is a pro coach, and another raced an m235ir in PWC. I learn a ton each time I race with those guys.

And, I know the instructors at the Performance Center in SC and they usually come to our annual track battle. I've had Johan yell at me a couple times.

My Uncle is a good driver, but I'm a better. Psychologically, I keep him focused on his car mods so he doesn't go get any coaching while I do.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #8
CJW2OO4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86M,M2,F13 E86&E85M,E86,2E46

Is it confirmed that the warranty transfers? If so I may be interested
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #9
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJW2OO4 View Post
Is it confirmed that the warranty transfers? If so I may be interested
I had heard that was the case.

When I look at the fine print, it says "Dinan's warranties are transferable when ownership of the vehicle into which the Dinan products were originally installed is sold."

Obviously that's not what is happening, and it's just a parts resell.

I'll shoot them a note to see what they say. You may also want to give them a call so we get them from both directions.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #10
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

I sent them an email.

The rest of their warranty T’s & C’s make it sound like if an authorized Dinan dealer is handling the install (that happened on my side), then it’s covered: https://www.dinancars.com/warranty/
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #11
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

So...

I spoke with Dinan and they said their warranty does not carry over when reselling ECU components, such as the Dinan Tuner.

That obviously knocks it's value down without their warranty, but it's still a solid conservative tune that adds power, and doesn't push the limits and its reliability risks are next to nil.

I'm going to post it FS on the main forum, but if any of you guys are interested, PM me.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 07:35 PM   #12
M2Geil
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Did you ever sell this?
Appreciate 0