BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Off-center steering wheel

08-18-2019, 12:48 AM   #1
JayBBBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2018

Off-center steering wheel

Hi folks, I recently started to feel my M2 steering was off center a bit after engine oil change service. (not sure whether it exists for long time or any operation during engine oil change may cause it) I never had accident on it or hit curb or anything. I want to see if other BMW 2018 M2 owners share same experience or have a lesson to give.

When my car is going straight on flat road, I can do hands-off and the car can continues going straight without being pulled to one side itself. The only problem is when the car goes straight, I feel the steering wheel is not at center (the 12 o'clock position is slightly turned clockwisely by 1 to 2 degrees, which was confirmed by a BMW service foreman after driving it).

Since the off-center position did cause some uncomfort on me, I brought it in for four wheel alignment today according to BMW foreman's advice. However, after the fix, the steering position is the same (I cannot feel difference). Then I read the alignment report, to see actually there was no problem with it. Data before fix were very close to targets. I suspect BMW service did not find real problem and just sold four wheel alignment to me.

I want to ask if the slight off-center steering wheel is as designed for M2 or my M2 has problems other than problems which can be fixed after four wheel alignment.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 03:43 AM   #2
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

It's actually quite easy to fix it yourself if you are mildly mechanically capable. With the steering wheel pointing straight, your car will steer slightly left. You just need to adjust the steering tie rods to point BOTH front wheels slightly to the right by the same amount. Provided you make one rod longer and the other shorter by the same amount, the toe setting will not change, nor will the geometric driving axis (thrust angle).

Start with half a turn on each tie-rod, take it for a drive then adjust again if need be. There is a lock nut on each tie rod (a torx socket if I recall) and the rods themselves are lengthened or shortened by a conventional crescent wrench. You don't even need a jack - although it helps if you raise the front of the car a little.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
JayBBBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
It's actually quite easy to fix it yourself if you are mildly mechanically capable. With the steering wheel pointing straight, your car will steer slightly left. You just need to adjust the steering tie rods to point BOTH front wheels slightly to the right by the same amount. Provided you make one rod longer and the other shorter by the same amount, the toe setting will not change, nor will the geometric driving axis (thrust angle).

Start with half a turn on each tie-rod, take it for a drive then adjust again if need be. There is a lock nut on each tie rod (a torx socket if I recall) and the rods themselves are lengthened or shortened by a conventional crescent wrench. You don't even need a jack - although it helps if you raise the front of the car a little.
Thank you for your reply. I wish I could have seen your advice before the alignment and save money and time.

I have a follow-up question. Do you think adjusting the steering tie rods is included in four wheel alignment? In your reply, it sounds adjusting tie rods will not change data in the form, so I suspect it isn't included. Since I paid for BMW service, I want to know whether they are totally off from doing right thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #4
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBBBMW View Post
Thank you for your reply. I wish I could have seen your advice before the alignment and save money and time.

I have a follow-up question. Do you think adjusting the steering tie rods is included in four wheel alignment? In your reply, it sounds adjusting tie rods will not change data in the form, so I suspect it isn't included. Since I paid for BMW service, I want to know whether they are totally off from doing right thing.
all that is included since that is how you adjust toe in/toe out. It might have been a lazy tech who didn't bother lining up the steering wheel to be straight but instead just lined up the wheels as he drove up on the alignment rack.

I would take it to a performance alignment shop but that's just me
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
JayBBBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
all that is included since that is how you adjust toe in/toe out. It might have been a lazy tech who didn't bother lining up the steering wheel to be straight but instead just lined up the wheels as he drove up on the alignment rack.

Thank you for reply. I see you write CA as your location, and I live in CA too. I am wondering if you live in bay area and can recommend any performance shop to go. Or do you think my M2's case is easy to fix, and I should not be picky?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #6
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for reply. I see you write CA as your location, and I live in CA too. I am wondering if you live in bay area and can recommend any performance shop to go. Or do you think my M2's case is easy to fix, and I should not be picky?

Thanks
I used to live in South Bay and when I did I went to AlignTechs in San Jose. I don't think you're being picky at all as that would bug me to hell. Make sure to voice your concern about it but I'm sure those guys will take care of you
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 07:00 PM   #7
JayBBBMW
Rep

Quote:
I used to live in South Bay and when I did I went to AlignTechs in San Jose. I don't think you're being picky at all as that would bug me to hell. Make sure to voice your concern about it but I'm sure those guys will take care of you
That's awesome! thank you. I will call them for an appointment.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      08-18-2019, 07:37 PM   #8
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Looking at your alignment sheet, the only thing they obviously adjusted was to add a little more toe on the rear axle. That was an appropriate correction and the rear axle alignment is very good.

It is possible they may have slightly reduced toe on the left front wheel to bring it from 0.08' to 0.05' but since it was already reading within limits on the pre-measurement, most techs are too lazy to bother. The small difference probably falls within the margin of error of the machine rather than an actual alignment change.

On the other hand, if they did tweak it slightly, this would result in a slight left turning vector which could be responsible for the steering misalignment your are now experiencing.

The bottom line, as another poster has said, is the steering wheel needs to be correctly centred when the car is driven into the alignment machine and the car should also be test driven when it comes off to make sure the job is done properly.

Modern cars have all sorts of controls on the steering wheel and customers are very sensitive to misalignment. It's not like the old days with nothing on the wheel that would upset your feng shui ;-)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 10:28 PM   #9
JayBBBMW
Rep

Quote:
Looking at your alignment sheet, the only thing they obviously adjusted was to add a little more toe on the rear axle. That was an appropriate correction and the rear axle alignment is very good.

It is possible they may have slightly reduced toe on the left front wheel to bring it from 0.08' to 0.05' but since it was already reading within limits on the pre-measurement, most techs are too lazy to bother. The small difference probably falls within the margin of error of the machine rather than an actual alignment change.

On the other hand, if they did tweak it slightly, this would result in a slight left turning vector which could be responsible for the steering misalignment your are now experiencing.

The bottom line, as another poster has said, is the steering wheel needs to be correctly centred when the car is driven into the alignment machine and the car should also be test driven when it comes off to make sure the job is done properly.

Modern cars have all sorts of controls on the steering wheel and customers are very sensitive to misalignment. It's not like the old days with nothing on the wheel that would upset your feng shui ;-)
LOL. Actually it is not about feng shui. We, Chinese, refer feng shui as mysterious power to explain things that cannot be scientifically explained. Since the misalignment now destroys my driving experience, I would continue to correct it.

Thanks for your reply.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 10:51 PM   #10
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
LOL. Actually it is not about feng shui. We, Chinese, refer feng shui as mysterious power to explain things that cannot be scientifically explained. Since the misalignment now destroys my driving experience, I would continue to correct it.

Thanks for your reply.
LOL clearly I know nothing about Feng shui. I apologise if the comment was inappropriate.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 01:21 AM   #11
JayBBBMW
Rep

Quote:
LOL clearly I know nothing about Feng shui. I apologise if the comment was inappropriate.
You are good. nothing to apologize for. It is so funny that I see people use this word here.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 05:40 PM   #12
sauce25
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
You are good. nothing to apologize for. It is so funny that I see people use this word here.
Jay, Did you ever get your steering wheel alignment fixed? I have the same issue with my 2020 M2C.
Appreciate 0