BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Oil temp

07-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #23
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Noticed that only Sport+ seems to reduce oil temps to 1st major hash mark. 205 IIRC. Eco and Sport run about 30 degrees more.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #24
Westway
Rep
Drives: M2C

What oil temp is the engine considered "warmed up"? I asked a BMW genius they said 250F...and I highly disagree as I've never seen my oil temp rise that high ever, even after long spirited drives.

I typically consider 200F warmed up as that is the temp the engine keeps at constant when the cooling kicks in under Sport/Sport+ mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #25
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westway View Post
What oil temp is the engine considered "warmed up"? I asked a BMW genius they said 250F...and I highly disagree as I've never seen my oil temp rise that high ever, even after long spirited drives.

I typically consider 200F warmed up as that is the temp the engine keeps at constant when the cooling kicks in under Sport/Sport+ mode.
I'd say 205 since that is the constant temp using Sport+. Sport and eco actually allow hotter temps to about 220
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #26
Westway
Rep
Drives: M2C

Ah, I haven't spent much time driving in just Sport mode but good to know that cooling only kicks in on Sport+. I typically drive in Efficient to get the car warm as I assumed that was the only mode where it allowed the engine to retain heat.

Do you ever warm the car up by driving in Sport immediately? There's been plenty on this topic within this forum, unsure what to think regarding the harm potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
I'd say 205 since that is the constant temp using Sport+. Sport and eco actually allow hotter temps to about 220
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #27
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westway View Post
Ah, I haven't spent much time driving in just Sport mode but good to know that cooling only kicks in on Sport+. I typically drive in Efficient to get the car warm as I assumed that was the only mode where it allowed the engine to retain heat.

Do you ever warm the car up by driving in Sport immediately? There's been plenty on this topic within this forum, unsure what to think regarding the harm potential.
I can't see why warming up the car in any mode is detrimental. Maybe someone knows better than me? Driving style on cold engine oil is critical though. First, I idle for 30 seconds or so to allow engine oil to circulate before drive off. Then warm up in efficient before using one of the M presets. Not because of the oil temp at this point, just because I won't get on the throttle past about 4k RPM until the oil is up to temp.
Appreciate 1
Bosozoku693.50
      07-23-2019, 07:59 PM   #28
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Quote:
I can't see why warming up the car in any mode is detrimental. Maybe someone knows better than me? Driving style on cold engine oil is critical though. First, I idle for 30 seconds or so to allow engine oil to circulate before drive off. Then warm up in efficient before using one of the M presets. Not because of the oil temp at this point, just because I won't get on the throttle past about 4k RPM until the oil is up to temp.
These turbo motors have tons of torque so keeping it below an RPM isn't enough. You can't roll into the torque down low either.

I'd probably do rod bearings at 75k
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 05:37 PM   #29
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
I can't see why warming up the car in any mode is detrimental. Maybe someone knows better than me?
In theory you're right. But in practice in sport or more so in sport + it's very easy to request too high a torque output at a low rpm due to the aggresive throttle map's and "tip in".

Efficient keeps the throttle nice and linear and not over sensitive low down, perfect for clumsy right feet which need to warm up just like the motor
Appreciate 1
Got f1?681.00
      07-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #30
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proctor750 View Post
These turbo motors have tons of torque so keeping it below an RPM isn't enough. You can't roll into the torque down low either.

I'd probably do rod bearings at 75k
Seems that may be a bit extreme. How have bearings worn on the S55? Certainly enough of them around over the years.

I send my oil to Blackstone labs to keep up with metal wear.
Appreciate 0