BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > M3 / M4 Style Winglet Mirror Caps / Mirrors for M2 - Best?

06-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #23
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 620turbo View Post
Thanks.

They do look good. How do you install these, the 3 piece ones?

There is no guide on the autoid site. Do you have to take off the door panels or can it be done without doing this?

Thanks,
They have video online, but there are some steps you shoukd do differently , there a thread about it in the cosmetic section

I put mine on myself looking at the video steps
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 03:46 PM   #24
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Autoid three piece on ...

Looks great , nice fit , no whistle on mine - nice quality CF caps...plastic could be of higher quality tho
Appreciate 1
JKen_0115176.50
      06-23-2019, 05:00 PM   #25
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
AutoId ones are the best non-OEM option that I have seen. A bit picky to install, but not too bad (takes about an hour), probably easier/faster if you can wrangle a second set of hands.

They look decent for the $ in my opinion. Way cheaper than retrofitting OEM, plus you don't have to take off the door cards. Here's a pic of them...
Thanks.

They do look good. How do you install these, the 3 piece ones?

There is no guide on the autoid site. Do you have to take off the door panels or can it be done without doing this?

Thanks,
There is a long thread in the cosmetics section (I think). Just do a search. Everything you need to know on how to install these is in that thread including a suggested order to tighten screws...yes, it matters! And no, you don't need to remove the door panels. I have had zero issues with fitment or whistling...granted my car is so loud, I prob wouldn't hear the whistling anyway, lol!

EDIT: Here's the link...there's a link to install video from AutoID on the first page.

New M2C Style mirror caps from Autoid https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1537622
Appreciate 1
qnet681.50
      06-23-2019, 05:37 PM   #26
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

No whistling here. Really add to look of car
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 07:12 AM   #27
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017_M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post
Autoid three piece on ...

Looks great , nice fit , no whistle on mine - nice quality CF caps...plastic could be of higher quality tho
Looks great, do you have the ordering link?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #28
D22M2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKen_0115 View Post
Autoid.uk.com

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #29
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Hi all,

Want to get some M2 Comp / M3 / M4 style winglet mirrors sorted for my Black Sapphire M2 LCI.

I have searched the forum but cannot find a definitive answer to the above.

I don't want to spend over £1,000 for genuine M2 Comp mirrors but have seen these autoid ones which look very good value and get good reviews.

Autoid used to do just the caps but have now changed so you get the caps panted to order, mirror bezels and bottom bezels as a set:

https://autoid.uk.com/collections/ex...=9416952479804

They get decent reviews on the autoid website but has anyone here got them and / or would anyone recommend anything else?

Many thanks,

Matt.
Quote:
Hi all,

Want to get some M2 Comp / M3 / M4 style winglet mirrors sorted for my Black Sapphire M2 LCI.

I have searched the forum but cannot find a definitive answer to the above.

I don't want to spend over £1,000 for genuine M2 Comp mirrors but have seen these autoid ones which look very good value and get good reviews.

Autoid used to do just the caps but have now changed so you get the caps panted to order, mirror bezels and bottom bezels as a set:

https://autoid.uk.com/collections/ex...=9416952479804

They get decent reviews on the autoid website but has anyone here got them and / or would anyone recommend anything else?

Many thanks,

Matt.
I ve bought 3 different mirror caps for my M2 , at first a mirror cap in cf , then another one with different style , and then the complete unit . All 3 from autoid . Everything was just fine (quality) etc . Now i went to the dealership and ordered the original ones of the competition , it cost me €2500 with a special discount from €3158 . I thought it the other way , if they were as an extra from the day i bought itn, i would have spec that . So i did now . It cost more i know , but i think i definetely worth to retro fit at least the mirrors , they change the whole look of the car for me . I have posted some photos so you can see the 3 versions from autoid , and as well the original mirror caps from BMW . Its up to you, if you want under 1000€ go for the whole unit from auto id , i dont suggest you the other 2 versions.
Attached Images

06-24-2019, 04:58 PM   #30
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

^^ Thanks for the pictures. They are very helpful.
But you're still nuts. Good thing you can afford it. It's just money.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4033.00
      06-24-2019, 05:11 PM   #31
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017_M2

Quote:
Quote:
Autoid.uk.com

I believe it's the same as AutoTecknic version right?
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4033.00
      06-24-2019, 08:10 PM   #32
D22M2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not sure - But likely it is
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4033.00
      06-24-2019, 11:43 PM   #33
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Not sure - But likely it is
Yes they are the same with autotechnik
      06-25-2019, 02:47 AM   #34
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

I was at work when I saw this this thread, and couldn't really respond like I wanted to in detail.

The AutoID's are really cool if you don't want to spend too much money, and the best non oem option. One of their reps on here said they used a CAD image of the M3 mirrors to design them. I don't doubt it, because they're really close; but they had to adjust for the more square shape of the OE mirrors, I assume.

Having said that, if you are slightly OCD, like I believe I am; you will want the OEM M mirrors assemblies. They bolt right up, and BMW was F.O.S. for whatever reason they gave for not having them on the OG M2. Once I saw them on other members cars & the M2C I could take it anymore, and had to get them, LOL. The were about $1500.00 including what I paid to have the shells painted LBB. I bought them from Getbmwparts, but the price has creeped up slightly since I bought mine (supply & demand I assume).
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4033.00
      06-25-2019, 08:03 AM   #35
620turbo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
There is a long thread in the cosmetics section (I think). Just do a search. Everything you need to know on how to install these is in that thread including a suggested order to tighten screws...yes, it matters! And no, you don't need to remove the door panels. I have had zero issues with fitment or whistling...granted my car is so loud, I prob wouldn't hear the whistling anyway, lol!

EDIT: Here's the link...there's a link to install video from AutoID on the first page.

New M2C Style mirror caps from Autoid https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1537622
Thank you. I did trawl around for quite a while and tried using the search function here but it did not bring up anything conclusive, hence me starting this thread.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and help.

I have just ordered a set of the auto-id 3 piece ones in black sapphire.

Will come back and post pictures when they are fitted.

Autoid sent me the fitting video for anyone who is interested and a link directly in the thread for everyone:

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:48 AM   #36
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
I was at work when I saw this this thread, and couldn't really respond like I wanted to in detail.

The AutoID's are really cool if you don't want to spend too much money, and the best non oem option. One of their reps on here said they used a CAD image of the M3 mirrors to design them. I don't doubt it, because they're really close; but they had to adjust for the more square shape of the OE mirrors, I assume.

Having said that, if you are slightly OCD, like I believe I am; you will want the OEM M mirrors assemblies. They bolt right up, and BMW was F.O.S. for whatever reason they gave for not having them on the OG M2. Once I saw them on other members cars & the M2C I could take it anymore, and had to get them, LOL. The were about $1500.00 including what I paid to have the shells painted LBB. I bought them from Getbmwparts, but the price has creeped up slightly since I bought mine (supply & demand I assume).
I'm slightly OCD and I feel the OEM is far too expensive and I do not want them for what they cost. You have to be next level OCD to spend that kind of money on mirror caps.
Appreciate 1
Fedorov162.00
      06-25-2019, 09:13 AM   #37
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post

I'm slightly OCD and I feel the OEM is far too expensive and I do not want them for what they cost. You have to be next level OCD to spend that kind of money on mirror caps.
Lol so it means im ocd ? What means OCD by the way?
      06-25-2019, 10:31 AM   #38
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmercs View Post
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
You bought 2 sets (or was it 3?) mirrors before deciding to pay the big bucks for the OEM.
That's beyond OCD.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 11:01 AM   #39
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Quote:
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
You bought 2 sets (or was it 3?) mirrors before deciding to pay the big bucks for the OEM.
That's beyond OCD.
Actually , i have 5 different sets at home . The blue standart ones that bmw gave me because i order the car with full m performance as well the exhaust and inside , and then the original cf that replaced the original blue ones (900) ... then i ve got all of the autoid mirror caps , and then the full unit from autoid . Now i ve order the oem with cf caps as well . Is that next level ocd ?
      06-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #40
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Actually , i have 5 different sets at home . The blue standart ones that bmw gave me because i order the car with full m performance as well the exhaust and inside , and then the original cf that replaced the original blue ones (900) ... then i ve got all of the autoid mirror caps , and then the full unit from autoid . Now i ve order the oem with cf caps as well . Is that next level ocd ?
You should have just bought M2c and saved time
Appreciate 1
akkando5864.50
      06-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #41
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Motoring View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
When i bought it 3/18 the guys there told me about the new comp , but for some reasons i wanted to buy the og m2 , didnt expect those upgrades anyway on the comp , but i dont regret it , i actually prefer the front bumper of the og m2 especially the kidney grills , and the sound of the n55 over the s55 motor . And as of the mirrors i thought i could just retrofit them . Many people tell that the og m2 isnt a real M car since the engine comes from the 235 , but for me bmw has always did that , ie e30 m3 with m10 block , then e36 m3 then e46 m3 with the block of the 320ci 6cyl , and some more examples . Even the very first M car had m88 engine and not an S code engine . I m not saying the OG is better than the Comp , its of course not better , but i think its a special car with that modified n55 by M . It would be perfect if they just gave it an S code of the engine or just another Version of S55 ( for purists) . Do you think if you had the money , would you upgrade to the m2 comp ?
      06-25-2019, 03:02 PM   #42
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Do you think if you had the money , would you upgrade to the m2 comp ?
No because if I wanted the S55 I'd get an M3.
I don't want to turn this into an M2 vs M2c cus we have enough of those but I will say the 3 piece kit from autotecknic/ind/auto id should satisfy 99% of people.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4033.00
      06-25-2019, 03:08 PM   #43
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I don't want to turn this into an M2 vs M2c cus we have enough of those but I will say the 3 piece kit from autotecknic/ind/auto id should satisfy 99% of people.
Quote:
Quote:
Of course they will satisfy 99% of people , i was so excited with the autoid full mirror unit , it was exactly the same as the new m2/3/4 mirrors , except the led . I did purchased the og mirrors tho because of that feeling that i needed to have my car full stock , nothing aftermarket . And basically is the only reason . (It also looks better with the black led) but this was not a problem for me , just wanted the m2 full oem so i retrofit them .
Attached Images

06-26-2019, 07:53 PM   #44
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
It's actually the entire mirror assembly, not just the caps. Having said that, I do agree they're too expensive for what they are. I'm happy with them.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4033.00