05-31-2019, 06:09 PM   #1
Slyphen
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
M2C or.....

So i'm in the market for a successor of my BRZ. I love my RWD subie and its my daily, while attending occasional track days and is a fully STX prepped competition car in autocross. But alas its almost time to move on to a new platform with a little more power, but whatever i get need to have similar or superior handling.

I'm currently entertaining 4 options as my daily/autocross car. The 997.2 C2S, M2C, C7 GS, and Cayman 981 GTS with a budget in the $60k range. I'm looking for some insights from people who drove/own any of the cars listed above.

Here are my thoughts.

Porsche 997.2 C2S: It's self explanatory... its a Porsche, and many argue its the last true 911 Porsche made. It has enough power, and handles like a dream. But it is the oldest out of the bunch and its difficult to find one between 60-70k range that doesn't have a lot of miles and is in good shape.

Corvette C7 Grand Sport: The brand/motorsport rival of porsche, and one of the best bang of the bucks sports car on the market. The GS has the C7Z chassis but doesn't try to kill you every time you get on the gas peddle. I hear it handles great and got just the right amount of power, and the interior is fairly nice with comfortable magnetic suspension for a daily, but turns into a scalpel on the track. its still a big and bulky car though... and no back seats.

Cayman 981 GTS: Mid engine Porsche with great handling. No back seats like the Vette, but damn its luxurious and quick. Its also a porsche... did i mention porsche? hard to find one on the market between 60-70k though.

M2 Competition: I can actually buy this car new and experience the whole "place an order with the dealer and follow it from the factory". I can probably wait for a year for the used market and spend the extra money on mods, where it would be very expensive for the porsche or limited for the vette. It has decent amount of room where i can actually seat 4 people if i have to, and road trip with it is probably not too bad. but it is the heaviest of the bunch at 3600lbs and will likely depreciate the most.

Of course being a Bimmer forum, i can expect some biases and i'm fine with that. thanks guys.

Last edited by Slyphen; 05-31-2019 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 07:57 PM   #2
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Definitely won't depreciate as much as the GS will. Holding their value pretty well, even the OG M2.

The 981 and the 997.2 are so dated inside that it's hard for me to like them but they are fun to drive.

Corvette is just not a good daily for me, and most people.

M2C is the most practical of the bunch and heralded as the best M car in generations. Oo and a warranty. For me it's an easy choice of those four. But if you don't care about practicality, modernity, visibility, and have a deep pocket in case of warranty repairs, I think you couldn't go wrong with the other 3.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 3
KevinM2931.00
Slyphen59.00
Kankles1484.50
      05-31-2019, 08:30 PM   #3
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
I haven't owned any of these but I have driven all but the C7 and went through some thoughts before ordering my M2C. Obviously, whatever forum you post on will give you a biased answer based on the owners' ultimate choice...With that out of the way...

I don't know of any car person who would deter you from a 997.2. If going this route, I'd budget more and/or even try to find a GTS. For a DD, Scout has already pointed out the cons - no warranty, expensive maintenance, old tech, noticed more, etc. I was going in this direction when the M2C was announced.

I loved driving the 981 Cayman S, and I agree the GTS is the pick of the litter. If you track a lot (which you seem to), a worthy consideration. As a DD, for me, too many compromises, including lack of low-down torque.

M2C...why did I decide on this? I wanted a smaller but still practical DD. This hit all my needs for a DD...new/warranty, low down torque, fun. That said, I don't plan on tracking it. (When/if I finally have time, I think I'll use the Z4M coupe...).

C7...sorry, can't go there.

Finally, consider time and effort. I was also having trouble finding the perfect 997.2 GTS and there is always a risk buying used. I spent 2 years searching for my E39 M5 in 2004 and it worked out great (still have the car) but I don't have that time currently.

GL, have fun with the decision!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 2
Slyphen59.00
dmboone254970.50
      06-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #4
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I went from a '17 C7 GS to my' 18 LCI.

My reasons were this:

The Vette draws a LOT of attention (in my area). Maybe it was the torch red with all the carbon flash ground effects, spoiler, etc? It did look like a Ferrari. So, I kinda felt like a jerk driving it around to get groceries.

I CONSTANTLY worried about the A8 transmission. I put a range module in to keep it from going in and out of 4 cylinder mode as they suspected that was a main issue causing TC failure. Seems they may have it figured out with the most recent tranny flush, but it's still too early to be 100% positive as far as I'm concerned. GM is now dealing with lawsuits regarding the tranny issues. Get an M7 if you get the Vette.

I also (somewhat) worried about the GS rims cracking and bending. I was looking at spending a lot of money on forged rims to replace the stock. Silly that you can't rely on the issued wheels for a car like that. And... It's another lawsuit GM is dealing with.

And then there's the lack of visibility inside the cabin. I literally would guess at lane changes sometimes. I couldn't see anything out those slivers of a window in the back. Merging onto a highway was even worse.

That said... The Vette was an absolute blast and some days I do miss it. If not just to see it sitting in my garage in all it's fiery red and black glory. Hands down the sweetest looking car I ever owned.

OH.. Getting in and out is a pita (and if someone says it isn't, they're lying) and I did hate the electric door handles.
      06-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #5
switzerr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I was surprised at how much work some generations of Caymans need before becoming a good choice for HPDE and track work. That was a deciding factor for me

I also like being able to run a square wheel and tire set up. That may not be a possibility with the other choices.

Rob
Appreciate 1
Slyphen59.00
      06-01-2019, 05:28 PM   #6
soco352
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (On Order)

I too was originally looking at a 997.2 C2S and ended up with a '18 LCI. For me, the M2 was simply more practical, came with a warranty, and wasn't that much of a difference in terms of power for every day driving. Also I felt that the 997.2's are starting to appreciate which also gave me a little apprehension about being a daily and occasional canyon carver. Any of your above choices though will surely not disappoint and you'll probably be happy with whatever you get, coming from the subie. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 08:58 PM   #7
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyphen View Post
So i'm in the market for a successor of my BRZ. I love my RWD subie and its my daily, while attending occasional track days and is a fully STX prepped competition car in autocross. But alas its almost time to move on to a new platform with a little more power, but whatever i get need to have similar or superior handling.

I'm currently entertaining 4 options as my daily/autocross car. The 997.2 C2S, M2C, C7 GS, and Cayman 981 GTS with a budget in the $60k range. I'm looking for some insights from people who drove/own any of the cars listed above.

Here are my thoughts.

Porsche 997.2 C2S: It's self explanatory... its a Porsche, and many argue its the last true 911 Porsche made. It has enough power, and handles like a dream. But it is the oldest out of the bunch and its difficult to find one between 60-70k range that doesn't have a lot of miles and is in good shape.

Corvette C7 Grand Sport: The brand/motorsport rival of porsche, and one of the best bang of the bucks sports car on the market. The GS has the C7Z chassis but doesn't try to kill you every time you get on the gas peddle. I hear it handles great and got just the right amount of power, and the interior is fairly nice with comfortable magnetic suspension for a daily, but turns into a scalpel on the track. its still a big and bulky car though... and no back seats.

Cayman 981 GTS: Mid engine Porsche with great handling. No back seats like the Vette, but damn its luxurious and quick. Its also a porsche... did i mention porsche? hard to find one on the market between 60-70k though.

M2 Competition: I can actually buy this car new and experience the whole "place an order with the dealer and follow it from the factory". I can probably wait for a year for the used market and spend the extra money on mods, where it would be very expensive for the porsche or limited for the vette. It has decent amount of room where i can actually seat 4 people if i have to, and road trip with it is probably not too bad. but it is the heaviest of the bunch at 3600lbs and will likely depreciate the most.

Of course being a Bimmer forum, i can expect some biases and i'm fine with that. thanks guys.
I mean everyone loves a Porsche. The Corvette is a bargain. Why don't you get some test drives in. Seems it would at least eliminate some of the cars from the list.
Appreciate 1
Slyphen59.00
      06-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #8
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

The cars you listed are more dedicated sports cars.

The m2 like all M cars are designed to be sporty cars with daily driver utility that can keep up with the other track cars.

Their pretty much different class of cars other then the pricing you mentioned.
Appreciate 1
boostm3683.00
      06-13-2019, 08:43 AM   #9
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Definitely won't depreciate as much as the GS will. Holding their value pretty well, even the OG M2.

The 981 and the 997.2 are so dated inside that it's hard for me to like them but they are fun to drive.

M2C is the most practical of the bunch and heralded as the best M car in generations. Oo and a warranty. For me it's an easy choice of those four. But if you don't care about practicality, modernity, visibility, and have a deep pocket in case of warranty repairs, I think you couldn't go wrong with the other 3.
I totally agree on the "dated-ness" for the 997, but not sure I would call the 981 dated just yet. The 718's interior has subtle changes, but wasn't a complete overhaul. The touchscreen is a little bigger and might have better resolution, I don't know for sure...and I think they changed the vent shape, which could be a deal breaker.

To the OP, don't test drive the 981, because if you do, you will be ruined forever and potentially make a crazy, on the spot financial decision. At least, that's what happened to me.

I don't have chest hair, so no Vette for me....

The M2C is a compelling package, particularly at its respective price point - will also be a little more comfortable and have more utility than the 981.
      06-13-2019, 09:32 AM   #10
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Quote:

I totally agree on the "dated-ness" for the 997, but not sure I would call the 981 dated just yet. The 718's interior has subtle changes, but wasn't a complete overhaul. The touchscreen is a little bigger and might have better resolution, I don't know for sure...and I think they changed the vent shape, which could be a deal breaker.

To the OP, don't test drive the 981, because if you do, you will be ruined forever and potentially make a crazy, on the spot financial decision. At least, that's what happened to me.

I don't have chest hair, so no Vette for me....

The M2C is a compelling package, particularly at its respective price point - will also be a little more comfortable and have more utility than the 981.
You are correct, I think I went in a little too hard on the 981. The "dates-ness" of the 981 for me is honestly the steering wheel - it is just so ugly and I am a huge steering wheel guy (although that's not necessarily a huge deal breaker for me). The newer gen wheel though is a thing of beauty.

I recently rode in my buddies 981S and I was actually impressed save the steering wheel and the dated feeling of the infotainment system. However he does keep his car pristine so it "felt" new otherwise.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #11
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
You are correct, I think I went in a little too hard on the 981. The "dates-ness" of the 981 for me is honestly the steering wheel - it is just so ugly and I am a huge steering wheel guy (although that's not necessarily a huge deal breaker for me). The newer gen wheel though is a thing of beauty.

I recently rode in my buddies 981S and I was actually impressed save the steering wheel and the dated feeling of the infotainment system. However he does keep his car pristine so it "felt" new otherwise.
Does he have the multi-function (standard) or the sports wheel?

Mine came with the multi-function, and it was the first mod I made - switched out to the sports wheel, which was much better but still not as good as BMW's in my opinion. I think the Porsche wheels are too thin, and while the sports version for the 981 was thicker and had MUCH better paddles than the multi-function, it still wasn't great in my opinion. One of my few (minor) complaints with the car.

Notice the stupid buttons on the multi-function wheel - both buttons could be used for up or down shifts, which was really dumb in my opinion. The sports wheel had very nice, billet aluminum paddles...it was a nice upgrade.
Attached Images

06-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #12
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Quote:

Does he have the multi-function (standard) or the sports wheel?

Mine came with the multi-function, and it was the first mod I made - switched out to the sports wheel, which was much better but still not as good as BMW's in my opinion. I think the Porsche wheels are too thin, and while the sports version for the 981 was thicker and had MUCH better paddles than the multi-function, it still wasn't great in my opinion. One of my few (minor) complaints with the car.

Notice the stupid buttons on the multi-function wheel - both buttons could be used for up or down shifts, which was really dumb in my opinion. The sports wheel had very nice, billet aluminum paddles...it was a nice upgrade.
He has the sport - the one in the second picture. Both are atrocious to me. But that's just my taste, he loves the living hell out of that thing.
Appreciate 0