BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > New Engine required...

06-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #111
Pilot-Z
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Logan View Post
Also I apologize if I'm coming off as a drag. That's not my intent at all.
Keep at BMW NA. File a claim against BMW with the BBB as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #112
Pilot-Z
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot-Z View Post
I was told today it looked like a rod bearing went out. They found oil shavings in the oil...
Did you get a knocking sound?

This guy got shavings also in his oil. The dealer found a lot of shavings in the oil filter.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1614332
It was misfiring on cylinders 1,3,5,6 apparently...
It ran super rough for a minute then I shut it off. Restarted and it was fine for a while. Mine was not tuned.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #113
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

its also another reason i think you should lease 40k+ cars to plan for possible events like these.

Yes bmw and your insurance won't acknowledge resale value lost from it but the market will.

Just like we all know your insurance will usually only acknowledge 10% in diminished value from a accident but in real life its much higher.

i would higher a lawyer and fight to have them buy it back.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 04:14 PM   #114
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

also to the guys comparing race engines to street engines, you cant make that comparison. Its more difficult to design a engine for street use then for racing.

A race engine only has to last one race and is maintained by the top 1% of engineers and mechanics.

A street engine has to last at least 100k with no or minimal maintenace by probably the bottom 30% of mechnically inclined ppl and thats being generous.

Even the President of Delphi said that its more difficult to design a regular car part to last 100k no maintence then a race engine part.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 10:11 PM   #115
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
also to the guys comparing race engines to street engines, you cant make that comparison. Its more difficult to design a engine for street use then for racing.

A race engine only has to last one race and is maintained by the top 1% of engineers and mechanics.

A street engine has to last at least 100k with no or minimal maintenace by probably the bottom 30% of mechnically inclined ppl and thats being generous.

Even the President of Delphi said that its more difficult to design a regular car part to last 100k no maintence then a race engine part.
This guy understands basics of engineering. The other challenge with street cars is the fact that you're not providing 100% load and validating against some FSF that's low AF. Road cars see abuse anywhere from 5-100% and at random intervals.
Appreciate 1
TemjinX2520.50
      06-14-2019, 02:59 PM   #116
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post

Agree 100%. The operating window for a race part is far smaller than for a street part. It may be at an extreme level but that's all it has to do.

Warmed up properly and run at full temperature is a designer dream.

And a race part get's looked after by people that know what they're doing.
Appreciate 1
TemjinX2520.50
      06-16-2019, 06:55 PM   #117
Pilot-Z
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Engine has been replaced... I'm awaiting a solution that makes me happy from BMW NA before I take the car back. The dealership has put 110 miles on the car since I dropped it off... Some before the swap to troubleshoot, and the rest after. How many miles do they need to test a new engine ffs!
Appreciate 1
ChrisK4449.00
      06-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #118
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Quote:
Engine has been replaced... I'm awaiting a solution that makes me happy from BMW NA before I take the car back. The dealership has put 110 miles on the car since I dropped it off... Some before the swap to troubleshoot, and the rest after. How many miles do they need to test a new engine ffs!
how long did yours take? mine they said 7 months
      06-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #119
Pilot-Z
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Logan View Post
Quote:
how long did yours take? mine they said 7 months
They got an engine and installed it in about three weeks.

Sent you a message. Give me a call.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 07:48 PM   #120
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Quote:
They got an engine and installed it in about three weeks.

Sent you a message. Give me a call.
mines been down since march. thats bullshit
      08-03-2019, 06:12 PM   #121
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
If you think the failure rate is low on S55, you should do the math on N54 and N55. They have made so many more N55 engines than S55 it isn't even comparable. It is hard to find reports of crank hub failures on N55. It's really best to compare stock cars.

The bottom line is that S55 has a crank hub problem that is worse than the other engines sharing that design, for whatever reason. Maybe it's power, maybe it's something else, but S55 spins it stock occasionally while the others almost never do. No, this is not nearly as bad as the S65/S85 issue, so I am not trying to blow it out of proportion. It is a risk you need to accept if buying one.
The head tech at my dealership has never seen a SCH on N55.

With respect to the S55 only 3 times and never on M2C yet.

Still rare but what got me was the 3 instances were all stock.
Appreciate 0