BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > New Engine required...

06-01-2019, 12:49 AM   #67
Pilot-Z
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Still waiting for the report of what happened y'all. Didn't get a call back today from the tech...
Appreciate 1
ChrisK4449.00
      06-01-2019, 01:29 AM   #68
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
They don't. And even if they did, motors last a few races, 1 season tops before needing to be rebuilt or replaced.
I do understand that, but I should have probably just been more direct.

Why don't/didn't they race them? I guess I was just being hopeful that they'd have a solution for anyone that goes through this.

I mean they do run those N55s.

We may never know the root cause

Call them first thing tomorrow morning OP. Best of Luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 01:53 AM   #69
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
You need to read more clearly. This is what I said.

"The N55 has the same part. That means all of the M235i and OG M2s have the same potential issue. Many of the M3/M4s that had the problem we're modded. Many of them were DCTs with modded software ie. high power with a jerky tranny."

Which is not what you claimed I said.
Same part is not the same potential issue if the root cause is actually something else, like vibration, or even torque output.

The bottom line is that the N55 basically never spins stock and the S55 does. Saying the M235i and M2 are susceptible to this just like the S55 is disingenuous given the number of N55s produced.

The semantics don’t matter, the truth is S55 can spin it stock. When it spins stock it seems to do it early in the life of the engine and DCT is a risk factor. Anyone looking at M2C should note this and buy one anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 01:58 AM   #70
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardzM View Post

Why don't/didn't they race them? I guess I was just being hopeful that they'd have a solution for anyone that goes through this.

I don’t know why they don’t race them, but S engines always have some fatal flaw. I don’t know about the E30 but everything after that starts with an S is not exactly Toyota reliability. It just comes with the territory - great engines with sub-par reliability. This isn’t as bad as the S65/S85 debacle at least.

N55 will probably end up with failure related to bearings and oil starvation in the hands of a race team.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 05:28 AM   #71
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:

I don't know why they don't race them, but S engines always have some fatal flaw. I don't know about the E30 but everything after that starts with an S is not exactly Toyota reliability. It just comes with the territory - great engines with sub-par reliability. This isn't as bad as the S65/S85 debacle at least.

N55 will probably end up with failure related to bearings and oil starvation in the hands of a race team.

So true..

Since I known of BMW, they were always recognized for making sporty, luxury vehicles but reliability has never been their strong suit, in comparison to Toyota..

Toyota's reliability is so renown that they named their spin-off vehicle 'Scion' meaning descendant of royalty, as a marketing term to connect it to Toyota's dependability.

What confuses me is why an auto manufacture like BMW, after so many years of experience, can't build a powerful and reliable motor as Toyota. I guess that's a question only BMW engineers could answer

As far is the crank issue goes, it seems like a design flaw, in which the engineer's oversight did not accurately account for "X" in relation to the potential higher power output of the S55..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 06:41 AM   #72
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
This is interesting.

The hub, washer and sprocket parts at the center of the S55 failure are literally used on every BMW. Could the bolt torque be the failure point?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...97#11237574827
That was my theory that the bolt wasn't properly torqued. Which means that people installing the "keyed fix" could introduce the problem if the bolt isn't properly torqued.

I mean if BMW is having a very small set of failures in a controlled engine building environment. I could imagine a failure from a shop installed bolt. A keyed hub won't help if the bolt backs out.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 06:44 AM   #73
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know why they don't race them, but S engines always have some fatal flaw. I don't know about the E30 but everything after that starts with an S is not exactly Toyota reliability. It just comes with the territory - great engines with sub-par reliability. This isn't as bad as the S65/S85 debacle at least.

So true..

Since I known of BMW, they were always recognized for making sporty, luxury vehicles but reliability has never been their strong suit, in comparison to Toyota..

Toyota's reliability is so renown that they named their spin-off vehicle 'Scion' meaning descendant of royalty, as a marketing term to connect it to Toyota's dependability.

What confuses me is why an auto manufacture like BMW, after so many years of experience, can't build a powerful and reliable motor as Toyota. I guess that's a question only BMW engineers could answer

As far is the crank issue goes, it seems like a design flaw, in which the engineer's oversight did not accurately account for "X" in relation to the potential higher power output of the S55..
Probably b/c it's easier to build a mind numbing mundane grocery getter versus a sports sedan.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #74
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So true..

Probably b/c it's easier to build a mind numbing mundane grocery getter versus a sports sedan.
Really? Their V8 naturally-aspirated GS-F is equivalent in power and performance to a M2C and is as reliable as a Corolla.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 07:28 AM   #75
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So true..

Really? Their V8 naturally-aspirated GS-F is equivalent in power and performance to a M2C and is as reliable as a Corolla.
I don't even know what that is and I'll never buy a V anything engine again. 2 valve cover gaskets, valley pans, etc. repairs are always 2X
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 07:39 AM   #76
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So true..

I don't even know what that is .
It's made by Lexus (Toyota's Luxury Division).

Check this out:

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #77
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
They don't. And even if they did, motors last a few races, 1 season tops before needing to be rebuilt or replaced.
They don't?

https://www.bmw-motorsport.com/en/to...mw-m4-gt4.html

Edit, new footage:

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      06-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #78
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Quote:
They don't?

Edit, new footage:

Cheers
Robin
We have never gotten confirmation from BMW that the engine is identical. Don't you remember when the E92 version came out and all the marketing said it was the S65 and we later found out that it was actually a P65 and had beefed up internals and fixes to the issues the S65 was having? https://www.***********.com/content....coming-in-2017 with the bummer boost website.

And does BMW race these cars or are they customer only? I could be wrong, but it's not like this would be the first time BMW has fixed a production issue in its race car variant. I honestly forgot this car existed.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 08:33 AM   #79
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
We have never gotten confirmation from BMW that the engine is identical.

https://www.bmw-motorsport.com/conte...7626520231.pdf

Scroll down to the middle of the PDF:

ENGINE states S55....

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 08:36 AM   #80
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
We have never gotten confirmation from BMW that the engine is identical.

ENGINE states S55....

Cheers
Robin
Again.... that's exactly what they did with the e92, version. ENGINE stated S65, until we found out that internally they were calling it the P65 and when they used on their M4 DTM they finally called P65.....

Marketing is just that..... marketing. Like I said, it's not like this would be the first time BMW has fixed a production issue in its race car variant.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      06-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #81
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Again.... that's exactly what they did with the e92, version. ENGINE stated S65, until we found out that internally they were calling it the P65 and when they used on their M4 DTM they finally called P65.....

Marketing is just that..... marketing. Like I said, it's not like this would be the first time BMW has fixed a production issue in its race car variant.
No. This is the S55. Period. It's a GT4, not a DTM racer.

They race those cars overhere.
https://bmw-renova.nl/renova-motorsport

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 09:38 AM   #82
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot-Z View Post
Still waiting for the report of what happened y'all. Didn't get a call back today from the tech...

We are here with you!
Pilot-Z174.50
Tag18149.00
      06-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #83
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No. This is the S55. Period. It's a GT4, not a DTM racer.

They race those cars overhere.
https://bmw-renova.nl/renova-motorsport

Cheers
Robin
Eye roll. Okay man, it's like you literally didn't read a word I have wrote. I didn't say the GT4 was the DTM? Read man, it helps.

Also, just because it's called "S55" doesn't mean it's identical to the production engine and could have beefed up internals. It's cool man, large manufacturers don't cover up failures - I like that fantasy world.

I'm just goin to let you have this one, because having to rewrite my point step by step again because you didn't read is just an enormous waste of time. In summary, race spec engines under a specific code are not identical to production spec engines of the same code.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #84
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Eye roll. Okay man, it's like you literally didn't read a word I have wrote. I didn't say the GT4 was the DTM? Read man, it helps.

Also, just because it's called "S55" doesn't mean it's identical to the production engine and could have beefed up internals. It's cool man, large manufacturers don't cover up failures - I like that fantasy world.

I'm just goin to let you have this one, because having to rewrite my point step by step again because you didn't read is just an enormous waste of time. In summary, race spec engines under a specific code are not identical to production spec engines of the same code.
GT4 regulations say the engine must be the stock engine.

But whatever....

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
hellrotm4142.50
Davil6524.50
      06-01-2019, 10:24 AM   #85
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
In summary, race spec engines under a specific code are not identical to production spec engines of the same code.
GT4 regulations say the engine must be the stock engine.

I get both you guy's POV but judging by the amount of aftermarket parts attached to this GT4, It's not that farfetched that maybe they did indeed strengthen the S55 known Achilles Heel; the crank hub but left everything else stock for racing homologation.

The aftermarket is now flooded with aftermarket crank hub options, as below..

But don't quote me on that..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #86
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
M4 GT4 is a race car and has been used by several race teams around the world. It has the same S55 as the road car meaning same crank hub design. RealOEM has all details for all those who are interested:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_6976

Edit: Here's another link..

https://bimmercat.com/bmw/EN/search/...T4/USA/11_6976
Appreciate 3
Poochie9104.50
Robin_NL8717.00
AlpsRider2865.00
      06-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #87
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:

The S55 is raced quite extensively via the M4 GT4 program throughout the year in many series around the world.

I have talked to a couple different team mechanics at COTA, casually mentioned the crank hub issue. They didn't seem to think anything of it. One of them had never heard about it. They did rave about the car, said the drivers absolutely love it.
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      06-01-2019, 12:50 PM   #88
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
We have never gotten confirmation from BMW that the engine is identical. Don't you remember when the E92 version came out and all the marketing said it was the S65 and we later found out that it was actually a P65 and had beefed up internals and fixes to the issues the S65 was having? https://www.***********.com/content....coming-in-2017 with the bummer boost website.

And does BMW race these cars or are they customer only? I could be wrong, but it's not like this would be the first time BMW has fixed a production issue in its race car variant. I honestly forgot this car existed.
Quote:

ENGINE states S55....

Cheers
Robin
Quote:

You two are referring to different race series/classes with different regulations.

The P65 was used in the GTLM/ALMS/Tudor racecars. DTM did use a P designated motor as well.

The M3 GT4 on the other hand used an S65. Same 414hp output. GT4 regulations are much more regulated towards using street car components. The M4 GT4 is under the same regulations, using a S55.

E92 M3 GT4 (S65)

F82 M4 GT4 (S55)
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
Robin_NL8717.00