BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Stolen BMW Using a Laptop

08-16-2019, 08:54 AM   #23
FreeDarko
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
actually i had a friend a long time ago with a viper alarm system on his civic. they stole his civic and took the viper alarm system and dumped the civic lol...
Wish I could appreciate this more than once
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #24
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
You were right though; car thieves doesn't "hotwire" vehicles anymore; they break the window, put it in Neutral and tow it off and away..

The CAS ignition system is too difficult and unpredictable to defeat, for the average car thief.

Most cars are stolen nowadays because the negligent owner left the keys in the vehicle.

OP, my uncle still uses a Clublock and my mother still believes cars need to warmed-up for over 15 mins, like it has a carburetor. I let them be because it helps them sleep better at night. If you want to hide your key fob in a pouch to prevent someone from stealing its RF signals, it won't hurt; you go for it
But with the m2 if you have dct, you cant put into neutral without the keyfob

There was a theead a while back about ppl stealing yiur car with devices that hacked the signal
The DCT can release the vehicle into neutral from a switch, under the vehicle. I don't want to give it away but it's there. If you're buying into the idea that they're coming for your vehicle with a mere laptop, what makes you think they won't know how to manually place the vehicle in neutral.

The keyfob RF transmitter goes into a "sleep mode" after a couple of minutes, if it doesn't communicate or sense any motion. To entertain the idea that someone is going to steal your waves and transfer it to a new device, means they are lying in wait, just to clone your vehicle's signal.

The M2 is a great car but there isn't anything anyone really wants, in the Black Market.

Real, profession car thieves that go after high-end luxury vehicles like a fully-equipped Range Rovers or Bentleys, so they can wash the VIN and ship it to other countries with lax laws, for a large profits. An M2 is not that valuable or worthwhile, in that any of those market.

It's makes a great joyriding machine though; if you leave the keys inside and door unlock, as most victims of stolen vehicles nowadays do then report that it was probably stolen by someone with a fancy laptop
Appreciate 0