BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Fuse Locations and Functions

07-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #1
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Fuse Locations and Functions

I'm in the process of doing a WMI installation (thread for that is here: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1622247), and as part of that, I've been looking into getting power from the various fuse locations around the vehicle.

With that in mind, the first thing I did was to consult the fuse location card located in the rear fuse holder. This is somewhat confusing, but now that I've gone through a more comprehensive process of identifying each fuse, I've got a bit more respect for it. Rather than providing a full list of the purpose for each fuse, it's more of a list of 'if you're having problems with this (icon), check these fuses', and it's probably applicable to all F series models.

So with the fuse location card not getting me the information that I needed, I turned to ISTA+, and started a series of wild card text searches for all of the fuses in the front fuse box, and reading the resulting wiring diagrams to create a better index of what each fuse does in a spreadsheet.

While I was doing this, it occurred to me that this might be useful to others in the community, so I switched to Google Sheets so that the data is publicly accessible here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

To my surprise, not every fuse in the fuse box was searchable in ISTA+; some of the fuse numbers just didn’t show up in the wiring diagrams at all. In any case, I filled in the spreadsheet as best as I could, making notes where no information was available.

One of the other things available when looking at the wiring diagrams, is information on where the fuse is connected to ‘up-stream’, and it became obvious that the fuses were often grouped connected to a common relay, which was activated usually be the FEM, for either global power on when you open the door, or Ignition on when you press the start button. I noted this data when it was clear, in the spreadsheet as well.

The front fuse box is clipped into the top of a water-tight enclosure, and can be lifted up slightly to look at the back side and the connectors there. To my surprise, many of the fuses present in the fuse box, don’t have any wires going to the back side of them!

I updated the spreadsheet with fuses that were not connected on my vehicle (US Spec LCI M2 with Executive Package), and ended up using fuse 47 by picking up a crimp from my dealer and fitting it to the connector under the fuse box.

I'm mentioning all of this as background, because I'm hoping that the Google Sheets document, and the knowledge that many fuses aren't used and potentially can be might be useful to the community.

So far I've only filled in the detail fully for the Front Power Distribution Box, but I've started the process of going through the other fuse locations as well.

The document is available for viewing and comment by anyone, and if you'd like me to make any changes, please PM me and I'll add you as a collaborator.

That link again: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 11
Anthony1s755.50
Tano358.00
JB330Ci55.00
Endeav388.50
rj890.00
skyjunky111.50
ndyvidual132.00
Aeko41.00
      07-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #2
shemeld_135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 SO - M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Thank you this helped me with a hardwire dash cam
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 04:40 PM   #3
YakyYaky
Private
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C HS, 20 X3MC PB

Garage List
Thank you for that. Much appreciated.
I've saved it for future reference.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 03:37 AM   #4
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
thank you, very useful.
It would be even nicer to know which fuses are permanent 12v and which ones are under ignition
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 11:20 PM   #5
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floc View Post
thank you, very useful.
It would be even nicer to know which fuses are permanent 12v and which ones are under ignition
That detail is there, but I guess perhaps a little unclear... Let me think about putting this detail somewhere, but there are basically 3 different vehicle state for 12v supply:
  • Permanent 12v (30 (& 30F))
  • Ignition 12v (15N)
  • 12v when you open the door, but before you turn on ignition, and stays on for a few minutes after you exit (30B)
These 3 states are called 'virtual terminals' in BMW speak, and are what's in brackets above, e.g. 15N for ignition.

For each of the fuses listed in ISTA+ diagrams, the upstream connection is listed, which then effectively indicates which state it is powered under.

... At least I think this is correct!

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings

Last edited by Nezil; 08-13-2019 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 11:37 PM   #6
Nezil
Major
Rep

So here is a quote from ISTA+ about the power states, or to be more specific, relays that provide a virtual terminal:
Quote:
Terminal 15N, terminal 30B and terminal 30F are switched terminals that provide the voltage supply for control units and components in the vehicle electrical system. The switched terminals enable optimisation of the energy consumption in normal operation, in the stationary mode (standby current) or in the event of faults.
  • Terminal 15N is used for the voltage supply of control units and components that are required for "Ignition ON". Terminal 15N is activated together with the logical terminal 15 by activating the start/stop button. Terminal 15N is switched off with a specified after-running period after switching off the logical terminal 15.
    The front electronic module (FEM) controls the terminal 15N relay.

• Terminal 30B provides the voltage supply for control units and components that in normal operation are required when the driver is present. For example, terminal 30B will be activated with a status change for a door contact or unlocking, locking or securing the vehicle.
    Terminal 30B is switched off with a specified after-running period.
    The front electronic module (FEM) controls the terminal 30B relay.

• Terminal 30F provides the voltage supply for control units and components that in the normal operation require the terminal 30 but can be switched off in the event of faults.
    The front electronic module (FEM) controls the bi-stable terminal 30F relay.

Last edited by Nezil; 08-13-2019 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 4
      06-21-2020, 10:16 PM   #7
rj89
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Absolute legend! Helped Heaps! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 07:41 PM   #8
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

As said before: Absolute LEGEND. God among us humans. This kind of thing is what makes the BMW owners community so special.

Thank you for compiling the google spreadsheet together, very much appreciated.

For the sake of archival (in case the original google sheets document is deleted or otherwise inaccessible), I've attached a PDF export of the google sheet document as of 2021-03-04. (Bimmerforums won't allow XLSX documents, so this is the next best thing)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf M2 Fuse Guide.pdf (970.7 KB, 1088 views)

Last edited by bitcore; 03-04-2021 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
boostm3683.00
      03-10-2023, 05:43 PM   #9
Mercules
Rep
Drives: 2017 OG M2

Thank you guys for compiling this. I’m not seeing the horn fuse. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 01:51 PM   #10
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT (LBB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercules View Post
Thank you guys for compiling this. I’m not seeing the horn fuse. Thoughts?
Diagrams at:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/al...?albumid=13091

Good luck!
Appreciate 0