BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Has anyone upgraded to a good STREET brake pad?

05-16-2019, 03:37 PM   #67
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jritt@essex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Do the DS2500 squeal much in daily driving?
DS2500 have very little squeal. They sometimes give a little squeak at the very last portion of a roll-up to a stop. Otherwise they are fairly silent, particularly if they are bedded-in when they are first installed. We have them installed in ev everything from BRZ, Miata, STI, Corvette, Mustang, M3, GT3, Lambos, McLaren...all over the map. They are a fantastic all around pad that handle a lot of conditions, and they have shockingly good manners for a pad with such a high temperature threshold.
How is brake dust with the 2500s vs. the OEM pads?
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1607916
Appreciate 1
mhanism277.00
      05-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #68
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

I really rate the EBC yellowstuff I had them on my Scirocco R when I went stage one (315bhp) car weight ~1400kg.

Really good modulation no squeal about normal brake dust. Stop the car cold but when pressing on and getting warmer and warmer they rise to the challenge and confidently allow you to batter the brakes on the street and stop the car everytime. Didn't change lines or fluid so was a simple cheap brake uupgradd to OEM with no downsides.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 03:20 PM   #69
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrbri View Post
Since trading my E90 M3, which had awesome brake bite/feel from the stock system, even when swapping to race pads regularly for the track, I've been disappointed w/the factory brake bite/feel from the new fixed caliper brake systems. My 2015 M4, and now my 2017 M2 (same brakes, obviously), both exhibit a bit of a soft pedal feel and low initial bite w/the factory set up. This changed dramatically on the M4 w/racing pads (Pagid RSL-1 and RS-29) when on track. Braking bite, feel, and performance is excellent.

I'm considering looking into the Stoptech "Sport" and "Street" brake pads for my M2. Something w/a performance upgrade in the areas of initial bite/feel for the factory braking system. Anyone used these? Feedback?

I'm not worried about noise, dust, etc. Also not concerned about track performance, as I swap to racing pads for HPDE days.

Thanks!!!!!
The stock brakes are decidedly 'grabby' and feel over servo'd. The part numbers appear to be the same between markets, so when you're not tracking the car on a regular basis, how are you driving it?

I ask as a complete gibbon on another forum was criticising the stock brakes on his M4 for inducing instability when emergency braking from around 125mph. On the road...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 04:13 PM   #70
Altra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M2

I swapped the oem pads with Powerstop Z-26s a couple weeks ago, cleaned the car and wheels the next day. This past weekend, I gave the car a bath, but didn't need to touch the wheels as they were still nice, shiny and dust free!! (ok so, I did wipe them down a bit cuz OCD)

Such a HUGE improvement over stock in terms of dust. Brake feel is very similar to OEM. There was a tiny bit of squealing that presented itself after a few days post install, but has since gone away. My only regret is not doing this sooner!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 01:21 PM   #71
dk23
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 6MT

This might be a bit off topic, at what mileage did you guys swap out your stock pads? I'm close to 16k currently and they're definitely fading a bit in warmer temps. I just bought the car a few months back with about 13.5k miles so not sure how the previous owner drove but wondering what the average life of the stock pads is for normal street driving?

I'm thinking I might do my first track day this year and debating whether I should just use up the stock pads and then switch to the Hawk 5.0 or switch to new pads before going.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #72
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk23 View Post
This might be a bit off topic, at what mileage did you guys swap out your stock pads? I'm close to 16k currently and they're definitely fading a bit in warmer temps. I just bought the car a few months back with about 13.5k miles so not sure how the previous owner drove but wondering what the average life of the stock pads is for normal street driving?

I'm thinking I might do my first track day this year and debating whether I should just use up the stock pads and then switch to the Hawk 5.0 or switch to new pads before going.
I can cook the brakes on the street and get brake fade - if doing a track day, definitely upgrade them.

In the video reviews I've seen of the standard car on track, they always start moaning about the brakes within a few laps.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #73
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

I really like the PFC08s so far. They provide good stopping power and I have not experienced fade at Hockenheim or Spa Francorchamps. They looked like they hardly wore after those 2 days. Hock was hard on brakes and tires, pads did well but I boiled brake fluid at Hockenheimring.

And just today i finally flushed the brakes with Castrol SRF racing. Hoping this cures by braking woes for a while. Is it just me or does SRF look like water? I was expecting yellow but the fluid looked clear to me.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #74
cmb570
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 135i

Anyone have experience with EBC Redstuff Ceramic Brake Pads ?
Appreciate 0