BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Upgrading HK audio amp to JL Audio VX800/8i?

07-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #1
Emhyr var Emreis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

Lightbulb Upgrading HK audio amp to JL Audio VX800/8i?

Has anyone installed a JL VX/i model amp (either 6 or 8 channel) amp into their OG F87? Here's the amp in question (8 channel version):

https://www.jlaudio.com/vx800-8i-car...plifiers-98633

It has a built-in DSP and I like that it's adjustable wirelessly (optional add-on).

Potentially if the center speaker is disconnected I could go with the 6 channel version, but I like the flexibility of being able to "tune out" the center channel on demand.

Anyhow, I'm wondering how feasible it would be and what the install would require.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #2
Emhyr var Emreis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Bump, anyone?

Also curious how the amp, once tuned, compares with something like Bavsound's Revenant or Bimmertech / Match UP 7.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 09:05 AM   #3
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emhyr var Emreis View Post
Bump, anyone?

Also curious how the amp, once tuned, compares with something like Bavsound's Revenant or Bimmertech / Match UP 7.
How much is this amp? I'm not sure why you would buy this when you can get a plug and play match amp for $750. Install in 30 minutes. Done. and they have some decent stock tunes.

The head unit only put out 4 channels (line level) and any aftermarket amp will cause a Canbus failure on any HU software upgrade.

Up to you but P&P makes way more sense to me.

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #4
Emhyr var Emreis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
How much is this amp? I'm not sure why you would buy this when you can get a plug and play match amp for $750.
The 8 channel version retails for $1400 USD, the 6 channel version for $1200. Who is selling the match amp for $750?

The main reasons I was leaning towards JL:
  • Potential for future flexibility (perhaps using channels 7&8, bridged, to power a sub).
  • Ability to remote control / configure via BT.
  • Mac and iOS support for their software (this seems minor, but I don't want to deal with Boot Camp or a dedicated Windows laptop just for this).
  • Ability to EQ the input, independent of the speaker EQ, using this little trick. Not sure how well this will actually work, but looks interesting.

Quote:
The head unit only put out 4 channels (line level) and any aftermarket amp will cause a Canbus failure on any HU software upgrade.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? I assumed I would just use this TechnicPNP harness to swap out the amp.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 09:59 PM   #5
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

I paid $750 for mine out of Greece. Think that included shipping. Check Ebay.
Understand the sub thing but the Match has an output for another amp and the amp is truly pnp.
I've installed many sound systems and this is a no brainer at the price I paid. I also upgraded all by speakers with JL audio gear. The system rocks. I don't have a sub.
As you know BMW's and MINI's use Canbus. This is a computer that checks the system for continuity and malfunctions. It will know if you bypass your ASD (that is why Technic keeps it powered but bypasses the sound wiring only with his harness. So if you remove your amp you need a quick way to put it back in when you take the car in for any computer upgrade service.
The M2 has a very basic stereo system but it can really sound decent with the right amp and speakers.
Hope this helps.

Appreciate 1
      08-06-2019, 05:35 AM   #6
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: M2 and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
I paid $750 for mine out of Greece. Think that included shipping. Check Ebay.
Understand the sub thing but the Match has an output for another amp and the amp is truly pnp.
I've installed many sound systems and this is a no brainer at the price I paid. I also upgraded all by speakers with JL audio gear. The system rocks. I don't have a sub.
As you know BMW's and MINI's use Canbus. This is a computer that checks the system for continuity and malfunctions. It will know if you bypass your ASD (that is why Technic keeps it powered but bypasses the sound wiring only with his harness. So if you remove your amp you need a quick way to put it back in when you take the car in for any computer upgrade service.
The M2 has a very basic stereo system but it can really sound decent with the right amp and speakers.
Hope this helps.
Which Match amp are you refering exactly? As i remember well, there is two.
Thanks for your answer.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 08:04 AM   #7
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csl335i View Post
which match amp are you refering exactly? As i remember well, there is two.
Thanks for your answer.
match up 7bmw

Appreciate 0