BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDRIVE "No Signal" and GPS showing car at sea!

07-01-2019, 06:23 AM   #1
Emme2
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

iDRIVE "No Signal" and GPS showing car at sea!

Has anyone had their iDrive start up with a "NO SIGNAL" message and GPS haywire.

Anyone?

Last edited by Emme2; 07-10-2019 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 12:38 PM   #2
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
I have a US Spec car in Europe and run my European maps from a thumb drive. From time to time, I get a "reinstall navigation data" notification and I have to remove and reinsert the thumb drive but no pineapple under the sea action! Usually it's at start up so I don't know if speed limit data is affected.
      07-03-2019, 05:16 AM   #3
Emme2
Private
Rep

Thanks dtmurf. Rebooting iDrive and restarting car haven't been a fix unfortunately. Maps update same... no signal.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #4
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme2 View Post
Thanks dtmurf. Rebooting iDrive and restarting car haven't been a fix unfortunately. Maps update same... no signal.
I've had that come up 2x (simple red letters, right?). In both cases, I turned off the car for a minute or 2, restarted and I was fine again. I was a bit concerned the first time it happened though. Maybe I'll mention it @ the dealer next time I'm in for service.

Found a pic I took from when it happened to me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 01:55 AM   #5
Emme2
Private
Rep

Yes, that's the same message at startup. It is very common.

Less common is my GPS location that is fixed and wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #6
MartyM2
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

This just happened to me today. Is there any fix for this issue that doesn't require bmw to update the idrive software?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #7
Emme2
Private
Rep

Which problem happened to you? "NO SIGNAL" only or navigation also?

It can be many things, if stopping and restarting don't help:
- SIM card problem (needing reactivation)
- Telematics Control Unit (trunk) and accumulator (roof) replacement.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 01:15 PM   #8
MartyM2
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Which problem happened to you? "NO SIGNAL" only or navigation also?

It can be many things, if stopping and restarting don't help:
- SIM card problem (needing reactivation)
- Telematics Control Unit (trunk) and accumulator (roof) replacement.
The "no signal" message is what happed to me, but turning off the and locking it did fix it. Just never seen this before. I've even had an m235i with idrive for years and never so this message.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 02:54 PM   #9
Davyny1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3, 2002 BMW Z3

Try going to a dealer and then asking them to reboot it
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 03:14 PM   #10
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

I suggest rolling up your windows and closing the sunroof at a minimum.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 08:40 PM   #11
Emme2
Private
Rep

Do you really think a reboot was not attempted first? And haven't you both seen how old this is? Car is gone thanks to useless dealer and tech support. From wanting to dismantle the whole cabin and pop rear window out to check everything and replace antenna, it ended up being a faulty touchscreen. Or so they eventually claimed after 2.5 years of uselessness.

And yes, being at sea, all windows and sunroof were duly kept closed! 😂
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 06:24 PM   #12
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
Just had this same thing happen to me this weekend while I was out grabbing groceries. Hopped in the car and turned it on to see this. Tried a hard restart of iDrive by holding down the volume button for 10+ secs to no avail. Then tried a key cycle just from inside the car, but also no change. Figured maybe it had to do with thermal protection since it was a hot weekend, but the display didn't feel very warm. Speculated that it might be a loose connection since there was power to the display, but no video. Scanned for codes with my generic scanner, but nothing registered. Also looked like the front facing camera (KAFAS) wasn't working, as speed limit info was blanked out once I started driving.

Screen came back on/started up about 5 minutes into the drive home, and was working fine after that. Very strange issue, but hopefully it's just a one-off... Don't want to be replacing a head unit after only a year of ownership
Attached Images

06-23-2022, 11:14 PM   #13
Emme2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Conoway View Post
Screen came back on/started up about 5 minutes into the drive home, and was working fine after that. Very strange issue, but hopefully it's just a one-off... Don't want to be replacing a head unit after only a year of ownership
Glad it came back to life!
Just beware, the car basically communicates with ConnectedDrive servers somewhere in the world... if there's outages at their end, iDrive goes down with the servers.
The speed limit going blank is not a camera problem in these cases. If it happens again, log a case with BMW who will contact the ConnectedDrive team in Germany. Don't let your dealer rip the car apart (replacing the antenna, for example, involves removing cabin pillar trims and roof lining, if not removing the back window... which would be crazy is the defect is the head unit or in the comms module in the trunk or in the telecom networks).
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 06:09 PM   #14
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Glad it came back to life!
Just beware, the car basically communicates with ConnectedDrive servers somewhere in the world... if there's outages at their end, iDrive goes down with the servers.
The speed limit going blank is not a camera problem in these cases. If it happens again, log a case with BMW who will contact the ConnectedDrive team in Germany. Don't let your dealer rip the car apart (replacing the antenna, for example, involves removing cabin pillar trims and roof lining, if not removing the back window... which would be crazy is the defect is the head unit or in the comms module in the trunk or in the telecom networks).
I disagree with this. As someone who had a job in ConnectedDrive, I am almost certain that this isn't the case here. If there was no connection to the ConnectedDrive servers or there was an issue with telematics module, you would only lose ConnectedDrive features and GPS signal, not completely shut down the iDrive system as a whole. You would also most likely get a warning or code for "SOS call not available" stored in the fault codes. The iDrive system and screen is controlled via the head unit module in the vehicle (I believe it's the NBT-EVO in our M2s) and controls/displays many interior functions (radio/multimedia, vehicle info, navigation, as well as ConnectedDrive services). To shut down iDrive systems due to a server outage would not make sense whatsoever, not to mention that iDrive will continue to function even if you don't have ConnectedDrive services active.

This no signal issue is definitely related to hardware, whether it's thermal protection of the head unit/iDrive screen, wiring issue, or simply a start-up error in the software for the head unit. Regardless, this was a one-off issue for myself at the moment, so unless it comes back again, I won't be doing anything about it right now.
      06-24-2022, 11:00 PM   #15
Emme2
Private
Rep

Quote:
I disagree with this. As someone who had a job in ConnectedDrive
Disagree all you like champ except for stating this was a "one off" ... WOW, WHAT A SHARP OBSERVER

So if you know it all, why publish your sob story?

As someone who owned this car for longer than you, was advised by senior technicians locally and from Germany (exactly as I described) ... instead of someone in a US ConnectedDrive support role, say what you like.

After almost 2 years of "NO SIGNAL" (and, again, the above diagnosis I described - in my case), BMW took the car back 😀
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 11:50 AM   #16
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Disagree all you like champ except for stating this was a "one off" ... WOW, WHAT A SHARP OBSERVER

So if you know it all, why publish your sob story?

As someone who owned this car for longer than you, was advised by senior technicians locally and from Germany (exactly as I described) ... instead of someone in a US ConnectedDrive support role, say what you like.

After almost 2 years of "NO SIGNAL" (and, again, the above diagnosis I described - in my case), BMW took the car back ��
I was meaning a one-off with my particular vehicle; this is the first time that it has happened to me personally.

I was publishing my story to provide some perspective as to what I believe the issue was and to provide context. And as you stated above in your previous posts, you had an actual hardware failure with the touchscreen needing to be replaced, not an issue with the ConnectedDrive services. I had missed this initially in my previous read-through, but you basically confirmed what I was trying to say; it's not a "server connection" issue, it's a hardware issue.

This is my educated opinion, but nonetheless it is just that, an opinion. I am not an expert in BMW infotainment systems, but having worked on these vehicles (and no, not in just a ConnectedDrive support role), I do have a fundamental understanding of how these module work and communicate with one another.
      06-26-2022, 10:12 AM   #17
Emme2
Private
Rep

Quote:
This is my educated opinion, but nonetheless it is just that, an opinion. I am not an expert in BMW infotainment systems, but having worked on these vehicles (and no, not in just a ConnectedDrive support role), I do have a fundamental understanding of how these module work and communicate with one another.
That's better, do qualify your public statements in future.

But, respectfully, yours is not an educated opinion because you are not fully aware of my situation, to which my post relates.

And also do not take convenient phrases out of context: the disconnection from ConnectedDrive servers was indeed also a problem in this case (not just the eventual hardware failure) as confirmed by the ConnectedDrive team in Germany. Moreover, BMW admitted that the problem was also exacerbated in my region by switching from one telco to another... only to be forced to return to the original one.

All things considered, the perspective based on your recent "one off" (which I am truly glad resolved itself) is irrelevant to this thread... 3 years later too.

Last edited by Emme2; 06-26-2022 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 10:37 PM   #18
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
That's better, do qualify your public statements in future.
Well don’t you seem fun.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2022, 11:04 PM   #19
Emme2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
Well don’t you seem fun.
Project elsewhere
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 08:47 PM   #20
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Project elsewhere
What, no dumb foghorn leghorn bs for me? You too tired? I expected you’d throw in some more commas, a respectfully, and a moreover at minimum.

Last edited by ///393; 06-30-2022 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2022, 09:11 PM   #21
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
What, no dumb foghorn leghorn bs for me? You too tired? I expected you’d throw in some more commas, a respectfully, and a moreover at minimum.
There's a reason I stopped replying to this thread; can you guess why?
      06-30-2022, 10:17 PM   #22
Emme2
Private
Rep

Dear simpletons, even if what you say (wilson kop) or imply (Fred Conoway) is true about me - which it isn't - remember that it always takes one to know one

But, in this case, that is just the 2 of you who have added nothing at all (wilson kop) and extraneous information (Fred Conoway) about my situation.

Comically, after 3+ years and with the car gone.

Must have been a slow month at the circus for you both. God bless America!
Appreciate 0