BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > How to replace front lip with holes already drilled into bumper

12-03-2022, 01:21 PM   #1
capeie
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

How to replace front lip with holes already drilled into bumper

I just got a front lip on my m2, looks great. My lip didn't use any factory mounting points, I had to screw in to 6/7 points into the bumper with self tapping screws.

I was wondering though- if i break this lip and want to replace it with the same one, how would I screw it on? I dont think the screws would hold in the existing hole.. or would they? Would I have to use a nut and bolt instead?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 11:23 AM   #2
maximen13
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2

I have same question.. i think the only Way is with high screws..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 11:28 AM   #3
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

again, as I said on the thread under this, self tapping screws is not a good way of mounting lips (or anything for that matter).

this is a much better method and lets you take the lip on and off as you please and also will you let you not be worried your lip will fly off at 100mph

Appreciate 2
FaRKle!4016.00
capeie13.00
      12-29-2022, 03:38 PM   #4
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/20 x5m/23 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
again, as I said on the thread under this, self tapping screws is not a good way of mounting lips (or anything for that matter).

this is a much better method and lets you take the lip on and off as you please and also will you let you not be worried your lip will fly off at 100mph

ah yes because turning a 30 minute install into a 3 hour install is much better.

I've mounted dozens of lips with self taping screws. The key is to have enough of them. 8 is not enough. I have 20 in mine right now, taken it to the track where i did 140. Not going anywhere. But if people would like to do more work than necessary be my guest.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 07:06 PM   #5
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Do a search and you will see plenty have had their bumpers fly off using only self tapers. Also I don’t want to put 20 fucking self tapping screws on my bumper.

Not to mention, as it was asked in this post, what do you do when you have to re-install a bumper? Self tapping screws will hold ok the first time but you are not going to get them to hold the bumper as well the second time and even worst the third time. You do you, you want to save a few hours then be my guest. I like to do proper work on my car and don’t mind spending a few hours to do it properly. I wonder how many race cars have 20 self taping screws screwed i to their lip? Probably not many.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 11:18 PM   #6
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
FWIW, I made a center backing plate kit that can be slid into place and installed with rivnuts without having to remove the bumper at all. Have installed them on a couple of cars for their splitters.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21819.00
      12-30-2022, 09:59 AM   #7
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
FWIW, I made a center backing plate kit that can be slid into place and installed with rivnuts without having to remove the bumper at all. Have installed them on a couple of cars for their splitters.
I need to make a backing plate or maybe I should buy one from you I already have the holes so I would need for it to be hole-less. I will PM you sometime when I am ready to do it
Appreciate 0