BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Joebie's 2018 Alpine White M2 6MT

08-16-2022, 03:54 PM   #1
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

Joebie's 2018 Alpine White M2 6MT

Yoo im bored at work so I figured I'd make a thread about my car!

Last week (Aug-10, 2022) I purchased a used white 2018 M2 6MT from a dealer near Chicago. The car had around 12,400 miles on it when I bought it. I got an independent PPI from an auto shop nearby and they reported back that the car is "perfect both mechanically and electrically. The only thing we could find is a small paint chip on one of the wheels". Its a one-owner Florida car without a hint of corrosion anywhere, even all the cast aluminum components under the hood look brand new. The car was the dealer's showroom car so it spent its whole life at the dealer indoors, too.

I bought the car for $51,500+ tax and doc fees. (If youre reading this in the future then be aware that we are currently in a crazy used car market where used cars are selling near sticker price). But given the market I thought this was a relatively fair price especially given that its from a dealer.

I drove the car home from Chicago to St. Louis and have loved every moment of it since!

Here are some pictures from the day I picked it up:

I'm not doing anything crazy to the car, I dont intend to do track days or anything. This will just be the best daily driver ever known to mankind.

The first thing I did the day after driving it home was give it a bath to wash off all the bugs from the night-time highway drive home.

I took off all 4 wheels which apparently had been torqued down by Hercules because I had to put almost all my weight on the end of a 2ft breaker bar to loosen them. I deep cleaned each wheel inside and out, and also detailed each brake caliper. I then reinstalled the wheels to the proper torque.

The car is currently in the shop getting full track+ PPF. The entire front end of the car is being protected (bumper, hood, fenders, lights, mirrors), and I also am having them install PPF along the entire rocker panels, the front of the rear fender flares, the truck deck on the rear bumper, and also the A-pillars and front edge of the roof. Oh and also on the rear bumper behind the rear wheels.

I get the car back tomorrow and I have already on the way:

-BMS clutch stop
-Genuine BMW Black M2 badge (ordered the M2 competition badge and im just going to not install the "competition" part)
-Genuine BMW Gloss black Grilles

One thing I havent ordered yet is some exhaust tips. I cant stomach the cost of the genuine BMW tips so I might try out some ebay/china reps and see how they are for 10% of the price.

I dont have any serious performance mods in mind at the moment. I could see myself doing the normal BM3, high flow cat, intercooler, intake, and charge pipe some time in the future but for now the car is more than enough for me.

Last edited by Joebie; 08-16-2022 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
///MPhatic13862.50
      08-16-2022, 03:55 PM   #2
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Reserved for future post
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 05:06 PM   #3
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Excellent purchase! Enjoy that fine piece of machinery!!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 05:42 PM   #4
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

I got my car back from PPF today!

it was ~$2500 after tax for:

-entire front bumper
-entire hood
-both headlights
-both mirrors
-both fenders
-both rocker panels, (and a bit more extending onto the bottom of the doors)
-the front side of both rear fender flares
-the rear bumper behind the rear tires on both sides
-the trunk sill
-both A-pillars
-the leading edge of the roof

When I got home I adjusted the air pressure in the tires to the factory 35psi (well actually 36psi to account for the tires being slightly warm, ill recheck them cold later.)

I also installed the BMS clutch stop. When I went to install it i found the stock clutch stop has already disintegrated, see pictures. I went with 2 washers on the BMS clutch stop and it feels just right. Part of me wishes I went with all 3 washers but id be worried that id be just a smidge too close to the clutch engagement point if i did that. Regardless it feels way better. Tons less dead space with the clutch pressed.

I have the same clutch stop on my 328i and just like the install on that car, this one was also very difficult. It still only took 5 minutes or so but man my thumb is sore. I got it about half way in and then pressed it the rest of the way with the clutch pedal, using my fingers back behind the pedal to make sure the clutch stop wasnt being crushed in the wrong way as i applied force with the pedal using my other hand.

Oh and I also noticed on the way home today I was in sport+ and took a sharp turn on some slick concrete that i usually like to have a little fun on and get the back end out a little bit (in the 328i) but I found that the M2 even in sport+ was extremely restrictive and as soon as i broke traction it pulled all power and didn't let me continue. Thanks for looking out for my safety, BMW, but i put it in sport+ for a reason! I guess traction control completely off is the way to go if you really wanna have some fun! In the 328i it lets me get a little sideways before it pulls power completely like that. And before anyone gets on my case about my driving, dont worry, im not out here street drifting 24/7 its just one low speed corner and i only do it if there are no other cars in sight.

Last edited by Joebie; 08-18-2022 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 09:45 AM   #5
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Stock OG MDM (stability control) as you’re describing is fairly conservative. Have Kubax86 update you to the CS configuration for steering/dif/MDM and you’ll be able to get A LOT of angle before it intervenes and when it does it it’s way less abrupt.

This along with Fullscreen CarPlay and other basic coding (rear DRL and brake force display) are recommended for all OG M2s.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 10:05 AM   #6
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
Stock OG MDM (stability control) as you’re describing is fairly conservative. Have Kubax86 update you to the CS configuration for steering/dif/MDM and you’ll be able to get A LOT of angle before it intervenes and when it does it it’s way less abrupt.

This along with Fullscreen CarPlay and other basic coding (rear DRL and brake force display) are recommended for all OG M2s.
That sounds like a fantastic upgrade! I'd been recommended this before but I didnt feel like I needed it. Im starting to think I do!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 09:27 PM   #7
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Alright so I took a risk and ordered some china exhaust tips.

This is what I went with, I think black/blue/gold will compliment the white/blue theme of the car nicely.

$177 shipped from Alibaba for all 4 of them.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...6680IUuqLi&s=p

My (genuine BMW) black grille set and black M2 badge shipped today so I'll be getting those soon and ill be sure to post some pictures of the installs.

Last edited by Joebie; 08-18-2022 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 07:54 PM   #8
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Gave her the first wash since PPF after I got home from work today. Man is it satisfying running a wash mitt over PPF, its so silky smooth.

I also gave all the black plastic items on the exterior a coat of 303 Aerospace. I even poked my finger through every single little hex hole in the front grilles that cover the oil cooler and intercooler.

In Missouri we require front plates but fuck that. Im keeping it off at least until i get in trouble for it.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 05:43 PM   #9
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

I replaced my chrome M2 badge on the trunk with a black badge. I simply ordered a Genuine BMW 'M2 Competition' badge and just didnt install the "competition" part.

Step 1: Mark location of badge with masking tape

Step 2: Remove chrome badge with fishing line (Sawing action helps)

Step 2.5: Realize you dont have any isopropyl alcohol and quickly run to Walgreens

Step 3: Remove adhesive with fingers, rag and isopropyl alcohol

Step 4: Cut the "Competition" off the new badge

Step 5: Install new badge using tape as a guide

Step 6: Done!!!! Looks amazing!

Appreciate 5
dtmurf481.50
///M TOWN16539.00
      08-20-2022, 05:49 PM   #10
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

I also installed Genuine BMW gloss black grilles. The install was super easy.

Step 1: remove weather stripping and six T30 Torx screws holding down the top of the front bumper cover

Step 2: Pull up the top of the bumper to reach down and disengage each tab holding the grilles in. Remove grille and clean all the nasty buildup.

Step 3: Reach in through the first grille opening to remove the 2nd grille. This is much easier than doing the second one from the top side like you did the first one.

Step 4: Click the new grilles into place, reinstall bolts and weather stripping, and youre done!

This only took about 10 minutes, maybe less. Super simple!

Im not entirely sure i like the look, it almost draws too much attention to the grilles, but i can very easily return the parts if i decide i dont like it so ill give it a couple days to make a decision.

I might try wrapping the chrome parts of the stock grilles in matte black and seeing how that looks. The gloss black is pretty bold and I think distracts a bit from the rest of the front of the car.

Last edited by Joebie; 08-20-2022 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
dtmurf481.50
      08-23-2022, 12:19 PM   #11
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
I've had the black grilles siting in my garage for about a year, can't make up my mind if I want to install them, I go back and forth every time I see them. With the black badge on the back, I'm thinking I'd have to commit to the front!
      08-27-2022, 07:18 PM   #12
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

I painted the stock chrome grilles yesterday with plasti-dip and installed them and i really like the matte black look. I think ill probably send the gloss black grilles back for a refund and then just get the stock ones professionally painted matte whenever the plasti dip starts to show its age.

I also did an oil change. So simple and easy! You dont even have to take off any plastic covers or skidplates or anything.

I think the oil that was in there was relatively new, at least it looked pretty good (not that you can really discern anything from just looking at oil) but i just didnt know the last time the oil had been changed since i got the car so i just wanted to get fresh oil in it asap.

The hardest part was that the bumper is too low for my ramps so i had to pull the car onto some 2x8 wood planks first and then up onto the ramps. After that it was ez pz.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2022, 07:44 PM   #13
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

I paint corrected and ceramic coated all my wheels with Carpro DLUX today.

I didnt spend much time correcting them, what i really wanted to do was get rid of the tons of microscratches around the outside of the wheel. See below, compare the right (untouched) finish with the left (polished).

Heres a finished wheel

Lookin good! Its not perfect, but its much better than it was and now its protected with a ceramic coating so washing will be much easier too!

Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      09-05-2022, 01:46 AM   #14
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebie View Post
I have the same clutch stop on my 328i and just like the install on that car, this one was also very difficult. It still only took 5 minutes or so but man my thumb is sore. I got it about half way in and then pressed it the rest of the way with the clutch pedal, using my fingers back behind the pedal to make sure the clutch stop wasnt being crushed in the wrong way as i applied force with the pedal using my other hand.
Yes, it's super hard to insert. I was about to give up and cut it out but then the teeth folded finally and it just magically gave.

I use 2 washers and I think you'll find 2 is more than enough because sometimes I rush the shift with 2 washers even.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 03:19 PM   #15
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

El oh el at trying to keep the wheels clean. Welcome to insanity.
Appreciate 1
dtmurf481.50
      09-10-2022, 10:48 AM   #16
frenzy757
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MB M2cs, 2022 X5e, 2008 T4R

Nicely done. Love the black badge
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 06:04 PM   #17
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

My china exhaust tips arrived today!! It took a little bit less than a month from the day i placed the order to the day they arrived.

Here's the box they came in, doggo doin a big heccin inspect on it

Im impressed with the quality given the price.

Heres the stock tips

A lot of WD-40 plus a piece of wood and a hammer made quick work of getting the old tips off. I was worried this would be much harder than it actually was. Took just a couple whacks with the hammer and off they came very easily.

Heres the old tips compared to the new. There is a LOT of room for adjustability as far as how in or out or offset you want the tips to be.

Here is all 4 installed. They look just as good as i imagined them to. I am struggling to decide how much poke-out i want and how much offset between tips i want.

I played with putting all the tips the same "stick-out" as one another but i think i like a small offset between each tip better.

Overall I am very impressed with the product given the price. My only big concern is longevity especially of the blue anodizing. Time will tell but for now i am very pleased!
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2022, 05:48 PM   #18
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

I got my car coded by kubax86 's company today.

I got the CS diff/steering/dsc, android screen mirroring, and various coding.

The coding I got was minimal

-legal disclaimer removal (on everything like startup, camera, anywhere else there are disclaimer warnings)
-disable speed lockout for owner’s manual & bluetooth pairing
-turn radio off if the engine is off and i open the door
-passenger side mirror to tilt down slightly less than it currently does in reverse

The experience was smooth, i got the laptop, cable and car ready and then got on teamviewer with someone who did everything for me. Whole process took about an hour, but 20 minutes of that was getting connected and setup.

The coding is nice quality of life but the thing i was really excited for was the CS dsc changes.

I took the car for a drive and first impression is great. It definitely lets the car get a bit more tail-happy in sport+ before pulling power but i didnt do much hooning around yet.

The steering is also changed. I really like how the stock steering felt but the CS steering also feels fine. Havent driven the car enough to have a solid opinion on anything yet but seems like a good change in general.

Oh and I cant figure out how to use the screen mirroring yet, lmfao. Didnt try for long but im not sure if i need an app on my phone for that or what. My phone is android Pixel 6 Pro if anyone knows how to screen mirror with it.

Sorry no pics on this one, there wasnt really anything to take pics of!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 09:05 PM   #19
cleanflow
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Great work so far OP! I'm on the hunt myself for a white '18 M2, in manual of course.
Appreciate 1
Joebie767.50
      09-25-2022, 09:20 PM   #20
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

I took my car out to the drag strip today to have a lil fun with it. I only ran maybe 4 or 5 times but here's my best run of the day recorded by my dash cam.

13.2 seconds @ 111mph.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 11:33 PM   #21
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Its been some time now driving with the CS diff/steering/dsc coding and unfortunately i dont think i cant recommend this change to anyone.....

.....who values their rear tires.

THIS THING IS SO FUN!!! SIDEWAYS THROUGH EVERY TURN IN SPORT+ IF YOU WANT TO!!!!!!!!

This car definitely gonna get me into some trouble with the law sooner or later.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2022, 12:55 PM   #22
WordOnRoad
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70/F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebie View Post
Its been some time now driving with the CS diff/steering/dsc coding and unfortunately i dont think i cant recommend this change to anyone.....

.....who values their rear tires.

THIS THING IS SO FUN!!! SIDEWAYS THROUGH EVERY TURN IN SPORT+ IF YOU WANT TO!!!!!!!!

This car definitely gonna get me into some trouble with the law sooner or later.
IG: 475_f80
Appreciate 0