BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C - Share your Journey

08-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #1189
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
On a side note, I just saw a Canadian M2CS without the pensioner/fender flares so the US market may not get those horrendous additions.

All to be confirmed when customers take delivery of their cars of course.
Appreciate 1
Mavallone164.50
      08-01-2020, 11:04 AM   #1190
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

As for 'blind spot' monitoring. . . it's not really that the M2C has any significant blind spots or that I even rely on it to change lanes. Rather, the reason I like the feature is because it simply draws my attention when a car is approaching in the adjacent lane.

With regard to component parts being present and a program such as Bimmercode . . . SEEMS all the parts are present, e.g., sensors, mirror alert, etc. However, I see no advantage for BMW to not activate BSM if everything were present and otherwise functional? @Poochie previously mentioned why certain features such as comfort seat entry/egress is deactivated on US M2C models. I cannot think of any scenario where BSM could be 'unsafe' or otherwise represent liability to BMW?

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #1191
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
As for 'blind spot' monitoring. . . it's not really that the M2C has any significant blind spots or that I even rely on it to change lanes. Rather, the reason I like the feature is because it simply draws my attention when a car is approaching in the adjacent lane.

With regard to component parts being present and a program such as Bimmercode . . . SEEMS all the parts are present, e.g., sensors, mirror alert, etc. However, I see no advantage for BMW to not activate BSM if everything were present and otherwise functional? @Poochie previously mentioned why certain features such as comfort seat entry/egress is deactivated on US M2C models. I cannot think of any scenario where BSM could be 'unsafe' or otherwise represent liability to BMW?

///AVM
If all hardware is present, I'm surprised coders have not figured out a way to activate it. BimmerCode has some strange options that are far more whimsical...
      08-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #1192
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328Xi, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post
On a side note, I just saw a Canadian M2CS without the pensioner/fender flares so the US market may not get those horrendous additions.

Here is hoping you are correct. What about you guys, do you get them?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 11:21 AM   #1193
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Quote:

///AVM
If all hardware is present, I'm surprised coders have not figured out a way to activate it. BimmerCode has some strange options that are far more whimsical...
JC

I agree, which is why I said SEEMS all the component parts are present and there is no apparent risk or liability that would prompt BMW to not activate BSM. 'Something' is missing and I suspect whatever it is represents significant cost (to BMW).

///AVM
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50
      08-01-2020, 11:25 AM   #1194
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavallone View Post
Quote:

Here is hoping you are correct. What about you guys, do you get them?
Can't confirm yet Mav, according to BMW AU, we will be but I believe our first batch of cars post covid is en route to us and will be delivered in just over a month.

Fingers crossed but no biggie as they are easily removed. We will find out soon enough!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #1195
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure why the fender flares are considered 'horrendous' or otherwise so off putting? I would hardly notice them if not pointed out to me, and they do not look bad . . . then again, this perspective comes from, perhaps, the only M2C owner on the planet who actually likes the look of the M2C muffler.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #1196
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Not sure why the fender flares are considered 'horrendous' or otherwise so off putting? I would hardly notice them if not pointed out to me, and they do not look bad . . . then again, this perspective comes from, perhaps, the only M2C owner on the planet who actually likes the look of the M2C muffler.

///AVM
I personally feel they don't suit the car, I'm sure there are some amongst us here that are eager to add them on their M2.

Very subjective and personal preference for this one AVM.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      08-01-2020, 11:33 AM   #1197
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

///AVM
I personally feel they don't suit the car, I'm sure there are some amongst us here that are eager to add them on their M2.

Aus

Yes, you are correct. . . very subjective.

///AVM
Appreciate 1
AUSf222689.50
      08-01-2020, 11:37 AM   #1198
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

///AVM

I mean the plastic flares serve no purpose other than a bandaid to get around the regulation that the overall fender must be X dimension past the wheel...tbh doesn't bother me too much...

On the other hand, the wireless charger not able to accommodate bigger phones bother me a ton. I know a former Bimmerpost member designed a component, that when replaced, allows to accommodate larger phones. If a member can do this with just a simple component swap out, why can't BMW?

And before someone says the wireless charger is slow, I know, but I still would like to use that feature for the convenience factor.
      08-01-2020, 11:43 AM   #1199
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

///AVM

I mean the plastic flares serve no purpose other than a bandaid to get around the regulation that the overall fender must be X dimension past the wheel...tbh doesn't bother me too much...

On the other hand, the wireless charger not able to accommodate bigger phones bother me a ton. I know a former Bimmerpost member designed a component, that when replaced, allows to accommodate larger phones. If a member can do this with just a simple component swap out, why can't BMW?

And before someone says the wireless charger is slow, I know, but I still would like to use that feature for the convenience factor.
Couldn't agree more, a family member of mine just bought a brand new 2020 Audi A1 and the wireless charging on that car accommodates all phone sizes.

Keeping in mind this car is only 45k new in AU and the M2C is 110k
Appreciate 1
JCZ51482.50
      08-01-2020, 11:47 AM   #1200
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

///AVM

Are the fender flares black plastic or body coloured?
      08-01-2020, 11:52 AM   #1201
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
They are black!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
boss2k1090.00
      08-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #1202
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
They are black!
Post more pics of your car!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #1203
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Quote:
They are black!
Post more pics of your car!
Not my car Dave! my car is still on a boat at the moment!

My car is just a comp, to my knowledge they are smashing out the CS production till Sept for Europe first until they build the CS for the rest of us around the world
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 12:13 PM   #1204
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
They are black!
Doesnt look that bad, what's the purpose for them? to prevent rock chips?

My other question they would pose a problem for PPF and do they need to be taken off for PPF?
      08-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #1205
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They are black!
Doesnt look that bad, what's the purpose for them? to prevent rock chips?
I believe they are for regulation purposes where the wheels do not protude further than the body line for Europe, very similar to the front reflectors being mandatory for the US
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #1206
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
. . . And before someone says the wireless charger is slow, I know, but I still would like to use that feature for the convenience factor.
JC

It's not simply for 'charging' purposes, such as in 'recharging.' Rather, to simply allow the phone to remain charged - or to not 'run down' - over longer trips.

Having just made a 12h drive in my M2C for the second time in a month or two, it would have been great if I could used wireless Apple CarPlay without having to 'plug in' my phone.

I know, 1st world problem but, as you suggest, kind of silly the charger doesn't accommodate an average-sized cell phone.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #1207
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
. . . I believe they are for regulation purposes where the wheels do not protude further than the body line . . .
Aus

That was the original premise presented, and still might be true?

However, the stock M2C wheels do not extend outside the fender well, and the flares do not seem to make a lot of sense where they are placed if intended to prevent projectiles from 'flying' off into the roadway.

For that reason it has been suggested the fender flares are for environmental sound control. Not sure if there is truth to that, but seems more reasonable than the projectile premise.

Maybe the flares are INTENDED to serve both purposes?

One thing I do know is that BMW did not add them to protect the car to which they are attached.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 01:17 PM   #1208
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
The best information, which is not definitive, suggests that the fender extensions are for noise control. In terms of PPF, there is a small strip of PPF under the fender extensions from the factory. So, one can either extend the PPF to the fender extension and call it a day, or remove the extensions and the OE PPF and extend the new PPF to the wheel well (+/- putting the fender extensions back on of course).
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      08-01-2020, 02:05 PM   #1209
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

So, with all this enthusiasm being shared by everyone waiting for their M2C to arrive . . . seems the wait is not limited to build allocations, but EVERYTHING.

I just drove back to my norther stomping grounds and stopped by the dealership where I purchased my M2C. Like everyone, I am aware of the impact Covid has had on builds and deliveries of vehicles, including forum members patiently awaiting arrival of their new M2C.

Still, I was flabbergasted when I drove on the lot of the dealership (comprised of BMW, Mercedes, Toyota) . . . the lot was completely scavenged. 2-3 months ago I am guessing there were 200-300 new cars on the lot; I estimate there are now MAYBE 20 new cars. TOTAL! Crazy site to behold.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 02:28 PM   #1210
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
So, with all this enthusiasm being shared by everyone waiting for their M2C to arrive . . . seems the wait is not limited to build allocations, but EVERYTHING.

I just drove back to my norther stomping grounds and stopped by the dealership where I purchased my M2C. Like everyone, I am aware of the impact Covid has had on builds and deliveries of vehicles, including forum members patiently awaiting arrival of their new M2C.

Still, I was flabbergasted when I drove on the lot of the dealership (comprised of BMW, Mercedes, Toyota) . . . the lot was completely scavenged. 2-3 months ago I am guessing there were 200-300 new cars on the lot; I estimate there are now MAYBE 20 new cars. TOTAL! Crazy site to behold.

///AVM
Can't get inventory, or trying to reduce overhead? Both?
Appreciate 0