BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Forget the PPF and Ceramic, who is going to DIY wash / wax and drive

01-05-2021, 01:02 PM   #1
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Forget the PPF and Ceramic, who is going to DIY wash / wax and drive

Warning: this post won't be popular with everyone and I'm playing a little devils advocate...Here are my random thoughts.

Nowadays people are spending gobs of money just to stop from getting a few rock chips or to make it easier to wash and dry their car by 15 minutes.

Full disclosure: That guy is me. I've done full PPF before, spent $11,000 on it. All the goodies....car sat in garage as I drove it 900 miles and then sold it after a year.....Whose faught was that? Mine yes I know.

Is all this stuff worth it? I will be the first to argue a good detailer is worth their weight in gold....but from new?

My best full correction / coating / detail results come after many years of enjoyment and driving. Taking my tired beloved and making it look new again...there is a tremendous amount of value there.

So now I'm asking myself whatever happened to the good ole wash and wax and do it again? Back when cocaine Charlie bought his white Countach in 1984 do you think he did anything any different?

It's like everyone owns a super car and is afraid to drive it and get a rock chip or a scratch. I know I know, the M2 CS is our super car. I get it.

Me personally, I'm so back and forth as how to handle this M2 CS. My detailer is one of the best in the country. I've had him do everything from a full wrap on a new car, on a used car, corrected a classic BMW for me (actually about 6 of them) and coated them. His work is second to none IMHO and I have full trust and faith in him.

I've considered a full wrap, full front, bumper only, just a correction and coating and now I'm considering doing it myself. Polish and wax and sealant.

So the level of detail is ranging from about $11,000 to $100 for supplies.

So my question is...who out there is going to DIY clean it up from the dealer and wax it themselves?

There is also a satisfaction of not letting a car "own you" and "you owning the car" so to speak. Should we really worry about a rock chip or two. A micro scratch or two?

With that said, I might still have a full wrap done or DIY clean it and maintain it. Mental gymnastics are exhausting but I can't be the only one going thru this.

I do think the car is going to be a long term car for me. Probably 5 years plus. But do I really want to save it for the next guy?

Thoughts?
      01-05-2021, 01:17 PM   #2
killerdeck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2 CS HS, 6-sp, PSS

I tend to agree with you on all points. This includes the flipping and flopping on detailer vs DIY. I happen to know a good buddy who is a detailing wizard, another guy that owns his own detailing company, and I have detailed and washed many an M car over the years (over 20 years now, actually!).

The quotes I am getting are about $800 for ceramic coat and about $5000-$5500 for full XPEL. I know these are very competitive in my area and being offered by a very reputable detailer. The thing is, I like doing this kind of stuff and can make the time, especially during the winter to DIY. Hence, the reason for leaning towards DIY.

I do think there might be a happy medium, which is to spend the $800, in my case, and get full detail, clay, wax, ceramic as soon as taking delivery. Then I can go back and do the upkeep after a pro does it the first time.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 01:27 PM   #3
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I'll bite. I went from nothing to full everything. I had my last car paint corrected and waxed. $900 lasted me 2.5yrs until I got rid of it in prep for this car. It got very few scratches. I washed it myself. I never rewaxed it, but did use detail spray. 22000mi on odo. The front grill had ppf in the middle, but I don't think it had any on the painted surfaces. No major damage at all. A fender scratch and a couple of hood nicks. Color was Ultra blue and it hid defects very very well.

Fast forward to the CS. I've been reading the m2 forums for quite a while, and was aware of the locations that seem to get heavily damaged. The front bumper was a damage area. The ease of cleaning bugs off my previous car had me convinced to get ppf on the front bumper. That is where I planned to leave it. Then it was only $1k more to do the whole hood, fenders, apillars, and a quarter of the roof. Why not?

I picked it up and drove it to detailer. "Damn, those tires kick up a lot of stuff.". +300 for rockers and behind rear wheels. (1900).

Got home. Was not super pleased with line along roof and lines due sections around rear wheel. Daughter peaked into the car through passenger window while I was coding. Lucky she wasn't wearing jeans. Otherwise that would have been scratched door paint. I was already into the ppf for 1900. I asked what it would cost to complete the rest. 2500. How would I feel if I spent 1900 to protect the car (not including ceramic), only to have something scratch an unprotected area? I personally would feel like an idiot, and it would bother me every day. I'd then have the scratch fixed and likely complete the PPF. So I bit the bullet and had it covered.

Now. Is it worth the extra 3900 to do the whole car vs just the front bumper? I guess it would depend on the experience. If it mimicked my previous car, then no, not worth it. If the cup 2 tires act like a sand blaster, or the shape of this car was conducive to road damage (forum suggests it is). I can argue that it will be worth it to me.

It will make the car easier to sell later if I choose to sell. Either because it has ppf, or I can pull the ppf to reveal pristine paint condition.

To the point of drive it and paint correct it later. I think that is a reasonable option. The downside is having to decide when the right time is. It seems like either way your spending the money. Is it better to reap the benefits of easy cleaning and paint touch up avoidance right from the start?

Edit: I assumed at this point ppf would be applied, but you could just fix scratches, paint correct and rewax. Maybe $1500-2000 depending on repairs. Keep in mind that you can't paint correct indefinitely and poeple are checking paint depth these days.

I'm still not sure I know what the right answer is or if there is one. I think a lot rides on personal tolerance for defects, protecting paint because you know you treat your cars poorly regarding paint maintenance, ease of care, car color, etc.

I hate detailing, I don't like waxing, etc. I've been a bad car owner. Recently I've been able to manage good wash practice that takes a reasonable amount of time. I hate cleaning wheels, which is why they received ceramic treatment. This car is black. I went with full ppf and ceramic. I also have a 13yo, 2yo, and one on the way. My car is in danger just sitting in the garage.

Edit: I do feel strongly that an initial paint correction sets the stage for a great bond for wax and/or ceramic and makes the finish easier to maintain. This would be a must regardless of route taken.

Edit: Im also adding ppf to the carbon tunnel.

Last edited by medphysdave; 01-05-2021 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 2
ptgltw3777.50
2taCoS279.00
      01-05-2021, 02:43 PM   #4
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the therapy guys....

That's the problem I'm having...scope creep. Can I afford a $11,000 detail? Fortunately yes. Can I just have the bumper ppf and ppf the sweet CF hood and roof? Likely not...so then eventually it becomes the entire car.

Last time I had my entire car done...driving along the highway a week later and guess what! Rock in the windshield. I chose not to get the windshield done because of the extreme caution you need not to accidently turn on your wipers when dry.

So then I'm back to square 1. Why not go old school on it? My washing techniques are really good....but then again my car is SBM as well.

Fortunately I didn't get CUP 2's because I had them on my Shelby GT350R and realized it's overkill for a street car. So I don't have the super sticky tire issue.

Again thanks for the responses..they are helping thus far.

I'm going to start with the DIY and see how long that will last me. Knowing all my other cars are detailed to a higher level, it will be interesting to see how I can cope with the DIY. But then again all my other cars are 1988-1995 so I couldn't personally detail those to show condition. I don't have those skills. But I can take a new car and try to preserve it.

I hate detailing but love washing. I use it as therapy. I was actually cleaning the wheels in 20 degree temps last weekend and didn't mind one bit. Had to keep breaking up the frozen water in the bucket.

Keep the opinions coming please, I don't judge or bite. I've been thru it all.
      01-05-2021, 02:45 PM   #5
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
I'm actually with you here, i go back and forth between doing nothing and full PPF everything. I'm not sure if i'm going to keep that car long, and when i look for used examples i want to buy of any car, I almost never look at "did it have a full XPEL". Its more about miles, # of owners, transmission, color, leather quality, etc.

So my concern is i basically put $6500 into my car that if i sell, whenever i sell, i never get that back. Sort of the same reason I didn't get the CCBs, its just immediate depreciation. Maybe thats the wrong way to look at it, but thats where i am at.

Plus I drove my Black CS with salt on the roads and there is already salt all over it, and i just don't give AF.
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3777.50
      01-05-2021, 02:47 PM   #6
2taCoS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post

Edit: Im also adding ppf to the carbon tunnel.
I had the CF grab handles covered in PPF but there were no templates available yet for the carbon tunnel. Due to the complex shape, likely the seats would need to be removed (relaying what my PPFers said). Please keep us updated on their work! Maybe yours will be the job that provides the rest of us with a template for the tunnel!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 02:56 PM   #7
jhall1957
Captain
Rep
Drives: SE 46

Do what makes YOU happy! My CS is getting a frontal wrap and I'll keep it Ceramic coated but only because I like that.

Did it to my 1M and glad I did, but I also won't cry if it gets dirty.

Do want ever it is that helps you enjoy your car. I'm not a "diy detail guy" so I like to push the easy button.
      01-05-2021, 03:02 PM   #8
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I have gone back-and-forth on this, but ultimately I can't justify spending the money for PPF. I hate seeing chips as much as the next guy, but I only notice them when I'm washing and no one else ever seems to notice them. I still get nothing but compliments about the beauty of my 60,000 mile 1M that has done at least 30 track days without PPF or ceramic coat. It photographs incredibly well and still looks great from 10 feet away after a wash, even better if I wax it which I do about three times a year. I use some touch up paint every 2-3 years.

I am thinking I will go ceramic coat on the CS because I love the depth of shine and easy wash. I will have it professionally applied the first time, and then hopefully maintain it myself from there on out.

Done. Boom. Moving on. I can't wait to drive it!
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3777.50
      01-05-2021, 03:03 PM   #9
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2taCoS View Post
I had the CF grab handles covered in PPF but there were no templates available yet for the carbon tunnel. Due to the complex shape, likely the seats would need to be removed (relaying what my PPFers said). Please keep us updated on their work! Maybe yours will be the job that provides the rest of us with a template for the tunnel!
The passenger side should be easy. Only doing about half the tunnel on driver side. It's more so the ppf will take the abrasive hits, then I can redo it if it ever gets too out of sorts. Maybe the self healing will work magic with the interior heat on it.

Paint chips aren't that expensive to repair, and I recently had a pearl white car touched up. You couldn't tell where the touchups occured. I think going the diy route will be just fine. It's not like your car is one day going to have unbearable paint damage. It happens over time. If you start to see it forshadowing a problem. Get the nicks touched up and add ppf to those areas. I've got 7k all in for my ppf, tint, and ceramic. Id like to say I 100% made the right choice, but my most recent experience tells me I've gone overboard. I won't regret it, but but I could have had fun gambling on the stock market if I didn't do it. We need to make sure we update this thread as time passes.

Edit: i don't want to sound like i regret my decision. If I were starting over from the beginning. I would get full ppf, tint, and ceramic from the start. It gives me a feeling of being content. My worries may have been unfounded, but it didn't change the anxiety. I now feel more relaxed.

Last edited by medphysdave; 01-05-2021 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3777.50
      01-05-2021, 03:49 PM   #10
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Great posts everyone....and we definately need to update this thread 5 years from now

I do think these cars will be special down the road...like carjunkies stated with his special 1m....60k miles, track days, rock chips and still gets the compliments. I can only hope I'm there with the M2 CS one day. Embracing it every step of the way.

Car care technology has come a long way even the 1m was built.

I've polished the hood and realized the orange peel on these cars seem to be a lot lower then my other new BMW's. Is it me or are other seeing the level or orange peel on the lower side?

Pics coming when i'm finished for sure.
      01-05-2021, 03:51 PM   #11
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Great posts everyone....and we definately need to update this thread 5 years from now

I do think these cars will be special down the road...like carjunkies stated with his special 1m....60k miles, track days, rock chips and still gets the compliments. I can only hope I'm there with the M2 CS one day. Embracing it every step of the way.

I've polished the hood and realized the orange peel on these cars seem to be a lot lower then my other new BMW's. Is it me or are other seeing the level or orange peel on the lower side?

The hood and roof seemed to have very little orange peel on my car. Much less than the other body panels. I wonder if these panels were hand finished?

Big thumbs up to you guys that can polish your own cars. I don't think I'm detail oriented enough or have the patience.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 03:52 PM   #12
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX  [0.00]
Quote:

Side note, what color are you going your DIY plan with?

Also i do think that, when i look at 1M's that i've wanted to buy used, i barely care about the paint, it would be like "how many miles, how does the leather look, and is it a 1 owner car being privately sold". That logic is going to guide my care for this car.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 03:53 PM   #13
EKG 12
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 M3. 2018 F80 M3 CS

Garage List
I have had my E46 M3 for 19 years. Thus, have NO plans for getting rid of the CS any time soon.

HS M2 CS is at XPEL right now getting it ALL. Full 10 mil PPF, full Ceramic, Tint, door pull protection. Final price pending with 15% discount, but it will be $$$$.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 03:56 PM   #14
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKG 12 View Post
I have had my E46 M3 for 19 years. Thus, have NO plans for getting rid of the CS any time soon.

HS M2 CS is at XPEL right now getting it ALL. Full 10 mil PPF, full Ceramic, Tint, door pull protection. Final price pending with 15% discount, but it will be $$$$.
What's driving your decision for full ppf? Anything on the E46?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 04:03 PM   #15
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a good percentage of today's buyer's would pay a little extra 0.50/$ for a car with full ppf. It's getting more and more popular. If I were looking at two cars. 1 @ 70k with no ppf, and one at 72.5 to 73k with ppf. I'd buy the one with ppf. Assuming I could get the details on who did the work.

My personal opinion is that it's not a complete write-off.
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3777.50
      01-05-2021, 04:03 PM   #16
EKG 12
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 M3. 2018 F80 M3 CS

Garage List
I never got any PPF on the E46.
This is a daily driver car on I-35 at 80 mph or more. Or on Texas backroads with "chip and seal" rock surfaces. The E46 has dozens-100 chips in the front.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 04:05 PM   #17
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

The ceramic is take it or leave it for me. I've done it a few times and frankly am not that impressed with it. Your kids rub against the car once you get marring that you can only buff out, and now the coating is off there and back to the detailer to keep it even. Sucks. I've found decent spray on products that give me the dirt repelling and shine I want without all the effort.

I am doing PPF for the first time because I'm tired of the rock rash on the plastic bumpers and into the hood. Getting that repainted or smoothed out properly costs a ton, and the paint match is often a little off because of the metallic. So doing the PPF there is enough for me. Getting chips here or there elsewhere... not real worried about it.

I am adding carbon mud flaps front and rear to cut down on the rash from the tires hopefully.

So for me it's just about track and highway damage with rock chips and preventing the need to repaint and the hastle around that. So a couple thousand to do the front 1/3 of the car was worth it.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3777.50
      01-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #18
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:

Yes, way lower orange peel than my other three.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3777.50
      01-05-2021, 04:21 PM   #19
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

You guys bring up great points about garages and kids and ppf or no ppf. No question it saves the paint!

I do keep my cars in an a warehouse away from bikes, kids, dogs jumping on them etc... cars only.

Great points

Last edited by ptgltw; 01-05-2021 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 04:26 PM   #20
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Side note, what color are you going your DIY plan with?

Also i do think that, when i look at 1M's that i've wanted to buy used, i barely care about the paint, it would be like "how many miles, how does the leather look, and is it a 1 owner car being privately sold". That logic is going to guide my care for this car.
Of course my car is SBM. The hardest to work on and keep clean but when it's clean oh my does it shine.

And yes my questions regarding the exterior are:

is the paint original...does it have parking lot dings (that's my pet peeve), swirls, clear coat damange etc...usually my last question is about rock chips...they never really bothered me...until I got a Dakar E36 from Arizona. Man was that thing blasted! No way I could drive a car like that around. I had to repaint the bumper. In europe they really don't see bumpter resprays as a negative. But here in the US. How dare you....lol. It's not original paint. $5000 deduction.
      01-05-2021, 04:30 PM   #21
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Wolfgang rinseless doubles as an excellent detail spray. Really blew me away. I washed my car with wolfgang rinseless, and wiped down with the detail mixture in a spray bottle. I like it so much I bought it in the gallon size when I ran out.

https://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/wolf...less-wash.html

My detail guy said to only use the Reload every 4th wash and to continue using this the way I was using it on previous car. Super slick when wiped down.

Only paint correction and wax when I first got it. This is the day I turned it in.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 04:33 PM   #22
kyrocks
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Touring

10,000 miles on my competition. No PPF at all. Just some minor pits on plastic bumper. Can only see if you are close. Doesn't bother me one bit. I drive.

The CS has PPF on entire front. I was gonna go bumper only. However, all my track cars have full front PPF. This is not my track car, but if I want to take it out a couple times on track I feel better with PPF since that's where the majority of paint chips happen for me.

In the end, it's personal and comes down to your personality and analness.
Appreciate 0