BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS long term depreciation

10-07-2020, 05:47 AM   #89
BMrDrmr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F-250, M2 CS

As a business owner of a Doggy Daycare in MA I can tell you my business is still off 50% maybe 60% and that's off what it was last year (so not including normal growth). While I'm sure some people (construction, online retailers or companies that play into the virus are doing well). Companies that fed off those companies Coffee shops, dog day cares and a million other small businesses that depended on people leaving their houses are still WAY off. I've had to run at a loss and little profit for 6 months. Thankfully I have other income streams. So before we go blanket stating things and saying its the media you should go take a look around and notice all the small businesses that went under. Likely though people that state stuff like this can work from home and stare at large investment accounts.

Appreciate 3
gmhl10384.50
Tornado1M1207.50
      10-07-2020, 06:45 AM   #90
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMrDrmr View Post
As a business owner of a Doggy Daycare in MA I can tell you my business is still off 50% maybe 60% and that's off what it was last year (so not including normal growth). While I'm sure some people (construction, online retailers or companies that play into the virus are doing well). Companies that fed off those companies Coffee shops, dog day cares and a million other small businesses that depended on people leaving their houses are still WAY off. I've had to run at a loss and little profit for 6 months. Thankfully I have other income streams. So before we go blanket stating things and saying its the media you should go take a look around and notice all the small businesses that went under. Likely though people that state stuff like this can work from home and stare at large investment accounts.
Yes. It's a weird one. People unaffected now have much larger disposable incomes as they aren't spending money on travel, restaurants, entertainment etc etc.

In Australia this has meant big sales for luxury items (luxury cars included) and home renovations. Things like furniture are now pushed out to months.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #91
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Yes. It's a weird one. People unaffected now have much larger disposable incomes as they aren't spending money on travel, restaurants, entertainment etc etc.

In Australia this has meant big sales for luxury items (luxury cars included) and home renovations. Things like furniture are now pushed out to months.
Its not an increase in disposable income but a redistribution. Its fairly easy for example to spend a months car lease on eating out. Ppl want to be entertained and retail therapy is one form of entertainment that still available.

I also think people realize this might drag on or create a new normal (I have no need to go back to the office) and want to make their diggs more plush since their spending more time at home.

The worry which people (IMO) should be having, is that the job losses in face to face jobs will eventually lead to a recession. But there is always someone yelling doom and gloom so what do I know.
      10-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #92
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

We are way off topic, but it's all over the map. In my industry the luxury side is doing super well, especially anything American made because overseas stuff is having an even harder time building/manufacturing. However, at lower priced items those manufacturers are having a rough time and have done massive layoffs. BMW has reported poor car sales - in part from manufacturing, but also iffy showroom traffic as well. HVAC is having some struggles because of material shortages, while having positives in other areas because of increased demand for improved air handling. Medical facilities are struggling because of reduced procedure counts even though total cases/patients are up in other areas. My neighbor is on the meat side of the business and one part of their business is devastated because of restaurant losses, while the consumer side has increased and they have made the shift over for that.

So it depends on what view you want to try to take/argue basically as there seems to be evidence in every corner to argue on side, or you can see a little of everything in every corner.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 04:55 PM   #93
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Over here the M2 CS could be 'reserved' in September 2020 and ordered early November 2020. The immediate sell-out of 131 cars (Belgium & Luxembourg) that BMW likely expected, did not materialize. And already back then, getting an 10% discount was possible. COVID-19 lockdown happened in March, a catalyst for the looming economic recession, hitting hard the car business. Even in Summer 2020 an M2 CS could still be ordered.

Great car, no doubt about that, but too expensive price-tagged by BMW for a 2-Series.
The main thing that worries me about the M2 CS depreciation is that in the US it is model year 2020. By the time people start receiving their cars in November/December, 2021 is mere weeks away. I have no idea why they were not designated as 2021 model year as they do have a 2021 M2 Competition.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1207.50
      10-07-2020, 05:54 PM   #94
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
The main thing that worries me about the M2 CS depreciation is that in the US it is model year 2020. By the time people start receiving their cars in November/December, 2021 is mere weeks away. I have no idea why they were not designated as 2021 model year as they do have a 2021 M2 Competition.
Probably in effort to not immediately depreciate the car. It's better for all CS owners that it's only one model year.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 09:29 PM   #95
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post

Probably in effort to not immediately depreciate the car. It's better for all CS owners that it's only one model year.
This is a good point. It does not actually have a model year in the true sense of the word. It's just the M2cs. That's it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 01:24 AM   #96
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
I don't care about depreciation anymore now.

Just got my VIN sent to me - she's getting built in two days' time

Been told week 51 delivery but the dealer couldn't tell me which year!

Quote:
Quote:

This is a good point. It does not actually have a model year in the true sense of the word. It's just the M2cs. That's it.
      10-10-2020, 05:48 AM   #97
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post

Quote:
Quote:

Yours is being built on the same day as mine! Race is on.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 06:19 AM   #98
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
which state are you in mate?

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Yours is being built on the same day as mine! Race is on.
      10-10-2020, 08:47 PM   #99
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
NSW
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2020, 12:35 AM   #100
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
In that case you'll have yours first as mine has to travel further to Adelaide

would have been a nice Christmas present if it got here on time but Jan/Feb isn't too bad, still much summer-time fun to be had :

Quote:
Quote:
NSW
Davil6333.50
      10-14-2020, 12:09 AM   #101
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
That's a good thing for me, it will help lower my property taxes and save me money in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #102
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Just to add to this.. I just sold a brand new (120kms) M2CS 6MT, Carbon Breaks, Blue, for almost full list.. the car is super hot. I have 2 coming in so didn't think I needed to keep 2 right now.
      10-15-2020, 12:26 PM   #103
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
Just to add to this.. I just sold a brand new (120kms) M2CS 6MT, Carbon Breaks, Blue, for almost full list.. the car is super hot. I have 2 coming in so didn't think I needed to keep 2 right now.
Haha, I was debating whether ccb was worth it. Here you are deciding between one car or two! I love it. I think these will do just fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 01:06 PM   #104
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Haha, I was debating whether ccb was worth it. Here you are deciding between one car or two! I love it. I think these will do just fine.
Yeah both same spec and one 6MT and one DCT..
      10-15-2020, 07:08 PM   #105
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not trying to be a brag or anything but these CCBs are about the best in the business, at Porsche GT levels and more.. amazing feel etc.
      10-15-2020, 08:13 PM   #106
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
Not trying to be a brag or anything but these CCBs are about the best in the business, at Porsche GT levels and more.. amazing feel etc.
Damn, man, don't make me regret going with the 2nh
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 08:33 PM   #107
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Damn, man, don't make me regret going with the 2nh
Depends on usage.. I am blessed to have some pretty awesome cars and I would say the M2 carbon ceramics brakes are perfect. Yes I think its worth the upgrade..
      03-18-2021, 01:38 PM   #108
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Looks like inventory is starting to get low now in 2021. Not many listed for for sale right now.
      03-18-2021, 02:19 PM   #109
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
Looks like inventory is starting to get low now in 2021. Not many listed for for sale right now.
My guess back in December was that by April 1st they would all be gone except the few that are over sticker. Then eventually those will sell also.

Snooze ya Looze
      03-18-2021, 03:01 PM   #110
killerdeck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2 CS HS, 6-sp, PSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
My guess back in December was that by April 1st they would all be gone except the few that are over sticker. Then eventually those will sell also.

Snooze ya Looze
Based on the other thread regarding this, I think we have gone from about 35 new available as of end of last week to about 20-22 now. With the end of the month sales push, I suspect all up 5-10 will sell. At least 5-6 of the remaining are with huge markups. The remaining few are DCT with CCB. My guess is BMW might throw dealers a bone for the remaining units in April.
Appreciate 0