BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Stock Cup 2 Tires Disintegrate after 3500 miles

06-28-2021, 11:10 AM   #1
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Stock Cup 2 Tires Disintegrate after 3500 miles

Before you think it's because of burnouts or something, these are the front tires, not rear.

My M2 CS came with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 245/35ZR19 240 AA A DT Connect tires in the front, made in France. The DT stands for Different Tread pattern than standard.

I was running 38 psi hot. Nothing crazy. Stock is 35 psi cold.

On my way home, I hear this, thump thump thump coming from the wheel well and then nothing. Come to find out, the tread strip in the center of the tire has separated from the rest of the tire, all the way around the tire, showing the cords. You can see in the picture the wear bars are looking good.

This shouldn't happen. There's clearly a defect in these tires, maybe the special tread pattern BMW chose. I called up BMW and they said if I didn't purchase the tire warranty, then the stock tires are not covered. I didn't even know that was an option.

Michelin's website says tires that are sold with a car from the dealer are not covered under Michelin's warranty. So... no one is warrantying these tires even though they're only a few months old. That's a bunch of crap.

I've had Cup 2s on my 2017 M2 and they lasted 2 years of daily driving and occasional track use. These lasted 4 months. The rear's are looking OK for now. So I'll probably just buy new Cup 2s... maybe 255/35 this time? Without the DT? What do you guys think?

[UPDATE]
I contacted Michelin and even though they don't warranty Cup 2 tires, and they don't warranty tires that come with your car, they agreed to give me a discount on a new set. The service I received from them was amazing! I mean, they got me, I'm a customer for life now.
Attached Images

Last edited by DarkstarZero; 07-09-2021 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2021, 11:37 AM   #2
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
Before you think it's because of burnouts or something, these are the front tires, not rear.

My M2 CS came with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 245/35ZR19 240 AA A DT Connect tires in the front, made in France. The DT stands for Different Tread pattern than standard.

On my way home, I hear this, thump thump thump coming from the wheel well and then nothing. Come to find out, the tread strip in the center of the tire has separated from the rest of the tire, all the way around the tire, showing the cords. You can see in the picture the wear bars are looking good.

This shouldn't happen. There's clearly a defect in these tires, maybe the special tread pattern BMW chose. I called up BMW and they said if I didn't purchase the tire warranty, then the stock tires are not covered. I didn't even know that was an option.

Michelin's website says tires that are sold with a car from the dealer are not covered under Michelin's warranty. So... no one is warrantying these tires even though they're only a few months old. That's a bunch of crap.

I've had Cup 2s on my 2017 M2 and they lasted 2 years of daily driving and occasional track use. These lasted 4 months. The rear's are looking OK for now. So I'll probably just buy new Cup 2s... maybe 255/35 this time? Without the DT? What do you guys think?
That's pretty crazy! Was this after a track day?

Some tires also don't react well to sudden temp changes, so even if you feel that they are up to full grip, which is mainly a function of temp at the road interface, you can rapidly degrade the structure by pushing them before the temps have come up all the way through. Some tires are more susceptible to this than others.

I learned the hard way that Goodyear 3R's are finicky and I don't have patience for that. I am going back to Toyo RA1 which seem to work better as I treat them more horribly. I wrecked 6 3R's in less than two track days….plenty of tread left which was peeling off the main carcass of the tire….
Here is the worst:
Attached Images

1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 12:35 PM   #3
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Thats defective, either you have been riding around on magma or bad tire

Cup2 rub out faster than other tires but they should last longer than that, plus the rears go before the fronts if you are driving he proper way
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 01:21 PM   #4
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
I've had Cup 2s on my 2017 M2 and they lasted 2 years of daily driving...
You, sir, are an ANIMAL.

The Cup2 is a terrifically terrible road tire.

I'm a critic though, I have a set for every use; Winter, daily, track. They aren't that expensive.

I wish BMW would do something for you on this, that really sucks.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 02:10 PM   #5
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Is your alignment ok? Driving in an extremely hot climate? I'd check the toe on the front. 5500mi on mine and they look barely worn. I've run them hard through the mountains.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 04:53 PM   #6
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Is your alignment ok? Driving in an extremely hot climate? I'd check the toe on the front. 5500mi on mine and they look barely worn. I've run them hard through the mountains.
It's a track tire, it's built for heat. I'm wondering if the fact that it was shipped to the US in the winter caused issues with the compound. It was also sitting at port for over a month waiting on a boat that had room.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2021, 09:00 PM   #7
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:

I would suggest going to a tire store that is an authorized Michelin dealer. If you're buying from them , they are highly likely to help you with warranty claim. Happened to me a number of years ago. Not this with Cup 2's but a tire wear issue on OEM tires.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2021, 09:18 PM   #8
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
It's a track tire, it's built for heat. I'm wondering if the fact that it was shipped to the US in the winter caused issues with the compound. It was also sitting at port for over a month waiting on a boat that had room.
I've actually heard of instances where Cup 2s have cracked in storage under extreme cold conditions (for an average Aussie extreme cold is 10°C), these guys were sitting in negative numbers for a period of time.

Apparently the compound becomes brittle in those kind of conditions
Jimjamz4581.50
      06-28-2021, 10:22 PM   #9
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Kinda looks like whatever method is used to bond one compound to another failed. I'm sure Michelin would want the tires back.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 07:08 AM   #10
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
I've actually heard of instances where Cup 2s have cracked in storage under extreme cold conditions (for an average Aussie extreme cold is 10°C), these guys were sitting in negative numbers for a period of time.

Apparently the compound becomes brittle in those kind of conditions
I'm with bimmeRad. Definitely something gone awry there. Superb tyre for me.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2021, 07:20 AM   #11
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:

Call Michelin. They will help you.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 01:37 PM   #12
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Call Michelin. They will help you.
Agreed!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 10:34 AM   #13
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Hm, I do think 38 psi hot with a cup 2 tyre for track use is way too much pressure. It does show as it has worn heavily in the centre.

They are better operating at around 30-33 psi hot.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2021, 11:15 AM   #14
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post
Hm, I do think 38 psi hot with a cup 2 tyre for track use is way too much pressure. It does show as it has worn heavily in the centre.

They are better operating at around 30-33 psi hot.
I won't disagree with potential performance improvement with lower pressure, but it could be at the expense of tire life. Certainly, the vehicle weight comes into play, but this is a great video on the subject.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 11:16 AM   #15
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

The sticker on the door sill says 35 psi
Appreciate 2
      06-30-2021, 11:20 AM   #16
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Yes... for street use, I also use 36 psi when I'm just cruising around town.

When you are on track, the pressures are completely different.

I run 26-27 psi cold for my RE71RS and optimal temp when hot is 32psi. You keep bleeding the tyre pressures while hot after each session and they eventually stabilize.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2021, 11:21 AM   #17
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
35 cold makes sense for a street car. Keeps you riding very close to ideal pressure when cold, and keeps you within the ideal upper limit threshold when hot. On track you'd likely want between 30 and 32 cold to get close to the recommended 38psi hot for this tire and car weight.
Appreciate 2
AUSf222689.50
      06-30-2021, 11:24 AM   #18
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
35 cold makes sense for a street car. Keeps you riding very close to ideal pressure when cold, and keeps you within the ideal upper limit threshold when hot. On track you'd likely want between 30 and 32 cold to get close to the recommended 38psi hot for this tire and car weight.
Yeah that video illustrates it perfectly, if you run street pressures on the track your tyres will melt / overheat thus giving no grip at all.

You will rarely ever get your tyres up to full operating temperatures on the street without the excessive heat generated, so the pressures don't fluctuate as much.

I also personally run 36 psi cold for street and they rarely spike over 37 38psi even on a very spirited drive.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2021, 11:30 AM   #19
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post
Yeah that video illustrates it perfectly, if you run street pressures on the track your tyres will melt / overheat thus giving no grip at all.

You will rarely ever get your tyres up to full operating temperatures on the street without the excessive heat generated, so the pressures don't fluctuate as much.

I also personally run 36 psi cold for street and they rarely spike over 37 38psi even on a very spirited drive.
Same here. Running 36 psi cold right now. Only on long hwy runs will the temp get up to 40psi on warmer days.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2021, 04:47 AM   #20
specracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS HS 6MT M8 Comp

Get some Hoosier R7's for track use.

38 cold was too much. Hot you were up in the 40's. Michelin recommends 33-39 hot.

Lastly, While not in our CS, I have used up a set of tires in only one day of track use. Tires are a consumable item.

Last edited by specracer; 07-01-2021 at 05:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 08:26 AM   #21
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

Maybe I'm missing something, but did this happen on the street or on the track? You mention "on my way home" but not "on my way home from a track day". The way the tire is worn it looks like it was on track. In that case a bit of overinflation could cause what you are seeing and I don't think Michelin will be interested in helping you. If it was on the street you might have a case, but one look at that picture and to my eyes it's easy to see that it was fresh off a track session.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 09:28 AM   #22
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Since were talking tire pressure how do you guys feel about nitrogen? is it worth the extra effort?
Appreciate 0