BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS USA allocation: anyone ?

07-23-2020, 04:44 PM   #155
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
So, is it safe to suggest that if you did not know the vehicle was equipped with either DCT or ZF8, things would be operationally indistinguishable?

///AVM
Indistinguishable? I disagree IMHO. There is just no way a ZF8 (Slush Box / Torque Converter) can hit as hard between shifts as a DCT in Sport+. It's just not logical

I have driven a vehicle with a ZF8 and it is SMOOTH. However, not quite what I'm looking for in a sports vehicle. I guess we will find out.

I've also heard the ZF8 is much cheaper to repair should it break. I think that is behind the DCTs fall from grace.
KBD

I was not stating they are indistinguishable. . . I was inquiring if they were.

It seems the ZF8 can be 'tuned,' so maybe you get little more aggressive shifts with, say, M2C than BMW puts in the X5?

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #156
Acetech
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 M3. 98 M3. 11 1M

Quote:
Quote:
So, is it safe to suggest that if you did not know the vehicle was equipped with either DCT or ZF8, things would be operationally indistinguishable?

///AVM
Indistinguishable? I disagree IMHO. There is just no way a ZF8 (Slush Box / Torque Converter) can hit as hard between shifts as a DCT in Sport+. It's just not logical

I have driven a vehicle with a ZF8 and it is SMOOTH. However, not quite what I'm looking for in a sports vehicle. I guess we will find out.

I've also heard the ZF8 is much cheaper to repair should it break. I think that is behind the DCTs fall from grace.
Modern automatic transmission feature torque converter clutches, when engaged they offer solid power flow through the converter, so they can hit as hard as they are programmed too.

As far as repairs go you are limited to external seals and the valve body with the automatic so repair cost could be higher, with DCT you can also replace the clutch assembly.
Good news is both transmissions have a good reliability record
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      07-23-2020, 04:52 PM   #157
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
KBD

It seems the ZF8 can be 'tuned,' so maybe you get little more aggressive shifts with, say, M2C than BMW puts in the X5?

///AVM
I know, that's why I included your "?"
I know you were ask a question and not making a statement.
Apologies if it came off wrong
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      07-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #158
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
KBD

///AVM
I know, that's why I included your "?"
I know you were ask a question and not making a statement.
Apologies if it came off wrong
No worries brother, I'm not that sensitive. . . incase it was not obvious, I have all questions and no answers at this point about ZF8.

///AVM
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2020, 06:08 PM   #159
nlpamg
MBWorld Spy
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, F8 Tributo, GR Supra

Weighing in on the ZF8, between the DCT on my F80 and the ZF8 on my Supra, the ZF8 is smooooth and most shifts are faster than DCT. The ZF8 is definitely no slouch.

Time to participate in the douchey signature blocks
Current: 2023 BMW M4 CSL, 2021 Ferrari F8 Tributo, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Notable Past: 2017 BMW M3 30 Jahre, 2019 Porsche GT3 RS, 2018 Porsche GT3, 2015 Porsche GT3, 2012 Nissan GT-R Black Edition Alpha 6+, 2008 BMW M5 Dinan, 2006 BMW M3, 2014 Mercedes CLA45 AMG
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      07-23-2020, 06:28 PM   #160
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

So, after all the excellent feedback provided, I am quite optimistic the ZF8 will function equally well, if not better than DCT in automatic Sport and Sport Plus modes.

Although the above is positive, my interest in DCT/PDK stems from ability to engage manual mode with shifter. Not a fan of paddle shifting at all. Manual mode with shifter completely pacifies and exceeds enthusiasm I held for MT. From what I have learned, seems ZF8 will continue to provide the enjoyment I have come to expect from DCT/PDK manual mode.

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 07-23-2020 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 06:46 PM   #161
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
So, after all the excellent feedback provided, I am quite optimistic the ZF8 will function equally well, if not better, than DCT in automatic Sport and Sport Plus modes.

Although the above is positive, my interest in DCT/PDK stems from ability to engage manual mode with shifter. Not a fan of paddle shifting at all. Manual mode with shifter completely pacifies and exceeds enthusiasm I held for MT. From what I have learned, seems ZF8 will continue to provide the enjoyment I have come to expect from DCT/PDK manual mode.

///AVM
I agree with you as I think the ZF8 automatic will be fine. A G87 M2 CSL sounds very interesting but it is many years away.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 07:03 PM   #162
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

The wait for the F87 M2 CS has been long and exhausting as I believe this will be the best M2 until the G87 M2 CS which is probably five years away or more.
Appreciate 1
Hegge880.00
      07-23-2020, 07:34 PM   #163
nlpamg
MBWorld Spy
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, F8 Tributo, GR Supra

Quote:
So, after all the excellent feedback provided, I am quite optimistic the ZF8 will function equally well, if not better than DCT in automatic Sport and Sport Plus modes.

///AVM
Manual mode with the ZF8 is comparable or better than DCT/PDK (not better than PDK-S though).

The only think you'll miss in the ZF8 is being able to just drop from 7th to 3rd at an instant that DCT allows you to do.

Time to participate in the douchey signature blocks
Current: 2023 BMW M4 CSL, 2021 Ferrari F8 Tributo, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Notable Past: 2017 BMW M3 30 Jahre, 2019 Porsche GT3 RS, 2018 Porsche GT3, 2015 Porsche GT3, 2012 Nissan GT-R Black Edition Alpha 6+, 2008 BMW M5 Dinan, 2006 BMW M3, 2014 Mercedes CLA45 AMG
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2020, 08:48 PM   #164
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Shift Speed

ZF-8 150ms // DCT 60ms // manual 500ms-1s // human blink 300ms

ZF8 will be "smoother" in day to day driving.

Between DCT and manual I'd go DCT
Between ZF8 and manual I'd go manual.

Eventually of course there will be no choice. But I'm looking forward to getting the last DCT from BMW and keeping it for some time.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2020, 09:03 PM   #165
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Shift Speed

ZF-8 150ms // DCT 60ms // manual 500ms-1s // human blink 300ms

ZF8 will be "smoother" in day to day driving.

Between DCT and manual I'd go DCT
Between ZF8 and manual I'd go manual.

Eventually of course there will be no choice. But I'm looking forward to getting the last DCT from BMW and keeping it for some time.
Davil

I do not know the answer to this question, but question whether the difference between 60ms and 150ms represents a perceptible difference? My suspicion is the difference is not perceptible?

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 09:37 PM   #166
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Davil

I do not know the answer to this question, but question whether the difference between 60ms and 150ms represents a perceptible difference? My suspicion is the difference is not perceptible?

///AVM
I would think it's perceptible. I think you would definitely notice a 150ms shift time, but 60ms would feel pretty instant. The pdk is considered quick, and GM claims the auto in the zl1 is quicker.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2016/may/0511-10speed-gm.html

Would be interesting to hit up the zl1 forum to see what they are saying about the auto trans.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 10:02 PM   #167
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I would think it's perceptible. I think you would definitely notice a 150ms shift time, but 60ms would feel pretty instant. The pdk is considered quick, and GM claims the auto in the zl1 is quicker.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...0speed-gm.html

Would be interesting to hit up the zl1 forum to see what they are saying about the auto trans.
Dave

I did do some looking into the topic. Superficially, the threshold of human sensory perception in time appears to be about 50ms. I say 'superficially' because most of the online reviews on the topic delve into conscious and subconscious processing of information. . . I do not wish to complicate a simple question.

One study that is commonly cited entails displaying and removing a disk at specific time intervals. The human threshold was 50ms. In other words, for times intervals of less than 50ms, the human perceives the disk as being constantly present. Of course, that is experiment involves time and visual perception, however, correlates to human sensory perception (processing) in general.

As per my prior post, I offer no claim of expertise on the topic. Nonetheless, if the information I have presented is taken to be relatively accurate, I would have to believe our ability to perceive the difference between a 60ms vs 100ms shift time is limited, at best.

For reference, I do not know the difference between PDK and DCT shift times as measured by engineers with whatever devices they have to make such determinations? In real life, driving both a PDK and DCT routinely, I cannot tell you I perceive any difference in shift speed. . . they are both really fast.

///AVM
Appreciate 1
devo755.00
      07-24-2020, 05:56 AM   #168
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dave

I did do some looking into the topic. Superficially, the threshold of human sensory perception in time appears to be about 50ms. I say 'superficially' because most of the online reviews on the topic delve into conscious and subconscious processing of information. . . I do not wish to complicate a simple question.

One study that is commonly cited entails displaying and removing a disk at specific time intervals. The human threshold was 50ms. In other words, for times intervals of less than 50ms, the human perceives the disk as being constantly present. Of course, that is experiment involves time and visual perception, however, correlates to human sensory perception (processing) in general.

As per my prior post, I offer no claim of expertise on the topic. Nonetheless, if the information I have presented is taken to be relatively accurate, I would have to believe our ability to perceive the difference between a 60ms vs 100ms shift time is limited, at best.

For reference, I do not know the difference between PDK and DCT shift times as measured by engineers with whatever devices they have to make such determinations? In real life, driving both a PDK and DCT routinely, I cannot tell you I perceive any difference in shift speed. . . they are both really fast.

///AVM
Expanding upon this... I wonder how much is system delay? A manufacturer could have the quickest shifting transmission, but a poorly designed circuit could add to the delay. Paddle travel before a shift is triggered, and time it takes for the signal to trigger a shift.
Appreciate 2
devo755.00
///AVM2529.50
      07-24-2020, 06:58 AM   #169
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Dave

///AVM
Quote:
Expanding upon this... I wonder how much is system delay? A manufacturer could have the quickest shifting transmission, but a poorly designed circuit could add to the delay. Paddle travel before a shift is triggered, and time it takes for the signal to trigger a shift.

^ Great info... valid point on paddle travel delay as Porsche's GT Director, Preuninger, made a point of addressing a 50% (iircc) reduction in paddle travel time for the .1 GT3.

Last edited by devo; 07-24-2020 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 10:03 AM   #170
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
There is also the question whether the activation is based on the pull or the release of the paddle. Some systems are the later and would feel slower. At their quickest setting, both the M2 M-DCT and the ZF8 are plenty quick enough with no lag in the paddle. And that's what I hate when test driving some other brands. Although of all the M2 shifts, 3-4 seems slower than others. But maybe that's because I've let off the gas pedal on the street.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #171
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Damn, this is good discussion worthy of its own thread. I really enjoy this type of conversation.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 10:16 AM   #172
Hulk Smash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

I ordered a US spec CS through the Military Sales program in Germany and this week was the production week. I have the VIN and it's scheduled to be delivered early next month. I would assume BMW is starting to produce US spec models so those in the states that are waiting... you may not be waiting much longer.

As for the transmission debate. I have a 2020 X4 M40i with the ZF8. The ZF8 is simply amazing! In comfort mode it's so good that it's easy to forget there is a transmission, it makes every shift buttery smooth. In Sport Plus it's programmed to give a little kick and the shifts are very fast.

I was a manual transmission only type guy before I experienced the ZF8, but I'll never look down on automatics again.
Appreciate 2
AUSf222689.50
cptobvious2531.50
      07-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #173
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2CS View Post
I ordered a US spec CS through the Military Sales program in Germany and this week was the production week. I have the VIN and it's scheduled to be delivered early next month. I would assume BMW is starting to produce US spec models so those in the states that are waiting... you may not be waiting much longer.

As for the transmission debate. I have a 2020 X4 M40 with the ZF8. The ZF8 is simply amazing! In comfort mode it's so good that it's easy to forget there is a transmission, it make every shift buttery smooth. In Sport Plus it's programmed to give a little kick and the shifts are very fast.

I was a manual transmission only type guy before I experienced the ZF8, but I'll never look down on automatics again.
Awesome and congrats! you may the first to get a US spec car if that's the case. BMW Military sales goes through BMW directly and has priority over dealers.

What colour did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 10:23 AM   #174
Hulk Smash
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post
Awesome and congrats! you may the first to get a US spec car if that's the case. BMW Military sales goes through BMW directly and has priority over dealers.

What colour did you go with?
Thanks. A few months ago we weren't sure BMW was going to offer the CS for Military Sales (at least not with any sort of discount), but recently they allocated 5 of them.

I ordered Hockenheim Silver with Black wheels.
Appreciate 1
devo755.00
      07-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #175
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2CS View Post
Thanks. A few months ago we weren't sure BMW was going to offer the CS for Military Sales (at least not with any sort of discount), but recently they allocated 5 of them.

I ordered Hockenheim Silver with Black wheels.
That's great news. DCT or manual?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 11:08 AM   #176
Hulk Smash
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's great news. DCT or manual?
I went with the DCT. I also went with the steel brakes instead of CCB.
Appreciate 0