BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > As a person who is having a M2 delivered soon and just hearing about the M2 CS VINs..

09-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #23
linjaron
Rep
Drives: tbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
I hate this logic. It's not the same comparison. This is like Apple in January being like "hey, iPhone X without notch and with in screen fingerprint reader, available now!". Sorry not sorry those of you who got the phone in November.

No one would be bitching if this was a G87 M2 with S55 or S58 or something like that. Everyone is bitching because this car has barely been in production for 18 months and there's already talk and nigh on confirmation of ending production and replacing it with something better for presumably a similar amount of money.

A car is also a larger purchase. Not something people replace every 2 years, no matter what car companies would like you to believe.
I think it's important to note that this is ALL speculation. It is quite a big assumption that the regular M2 (that is selling so well) will be replaced with a different motor for a negligible amount of money. Don't think the bean counters will be so generous. Would you really care is the CS is another 10k over the M2?

Look at the Porsche Cayman, base runs you $54k whereas a Cayman S is $66k. That is a 12k jump, and it would be pretty reasonable to expect something similar for BMW. Same with Mercedes between the c63 and c63s there is a 8k price hike for the SAME engine. The price puts them in different market segments. You're talking about a 20% increase in price with the Cayman.

This also doesn't even factor into account the CS seems to have a different focus than the base M2. One of the M car's biggest selling points to me is that it is versatile and I can use it as a daily without issues. I would wager most people didn't purchase a M2 for a track only car, but more of an all rounder that will be great on the roads and occasionally tracking it. With the CS it seems like the car is becoming more track focused, which actually might detract from sales. Sure an enthusiast might love a more track focused car, but average joe looking for a sweet car isn't going to appreciate the extra back pain over an already pretty stiff ride.

Last edited by linjaron; 09-28-2017 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2017, 01:50 PM   #24
BLUE-BEAST///M2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Just picked up my 2018 LCI last week and like all of you...I was fully aware of the upcoming M2 CS.....maybe I thought about it for a second and quickly dismissed any regrets on going with my 2018 LCI before I signed the dotted line.

To me this car is simply amazing!

Coming from an e46 M3 and e90 M3, I'm super happy with my M2.

Although I think the upcoming M2 CS will be a cool car.....I don't have to deal with the extra headache of getting back on a list again + extra wait time and extra cost of this upcoming M2 CS over the standard M2 + dealer mark-ups etc.

So no regrets at all!
Appreciate 1
termigni1081.00
      09-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #25
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by linjaron View Post
Look at the Porsche Cayman, base runs you $54k whereas a Cayman S is $66k. That is a 12k jump, and it would be pretty reasonable to expect something similar for BMW. Same with Mercedes between the c63 and c63s there is a 8k price hike for the SAME engine. The price puts them in different market segments. You're talking about a 20% increase in price with the Cayman.
I agree with you. However, I liken this to the GTS/GT4. Whereas a Cayman and Merc buyer have the option of getting either, a GTS driver didn't. They bought the top car then a year later, Porsche went "just kidding here's the mid engined 911 you wanted".

It makes the GTS that much less special. We obviously don't know enough about the M2 CS yet, but it will make the civic M2 less special if it turns out to be a similar upgrade as the GT4 was.

If I had the option, I know which one I'd buy.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #26
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Enjoy the car you have, its great and far more car than most will ever need.
So true
+2. Has have a 2016 M2, it?s plenty fast and has far more power than what I need. It?s a great car. Enjoy it!
      09-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #27
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
I hate this logic. It's not the same comparison. This is like Apple in January being like "hey, iPhone X without notch and with in screen fingerprint reader, available now!". Sorry not sorry those of you who got the phone in November.

No one would be bitching if this was a G87 M2 with S55 or S58 or something like that. Everyone is bitching because this car has barely been in production for 18 months and there's already talk and nigh on confirmation of ending production and replacing it with something better for presumably a similar amount of money.

A car is also a larger purchase. Not something people replace every 2 years, no matter what car companies would like you to believe.
We all have our opinions... that's mine.

I've known people who kept waiting for the next iteration, only to deny themselves the pleasures of the present.

"Replacing it with something better for presumably a similar amount of money" seems to me a bit of subjective (and hopeful) speculation. Not too often a manufacturer brings an improved product to market at similar pricing.

As to consumer products like phones, the next gen's features are usually pretty well known. Hardly ever any complete surprises.
I have an iPhone 7. Not at all interested in the 8 or X models, no matter what changes were made or what pricing looks like. The one I have meets my needs for what it is.

Last edited by Wharf Rat; 09-28-2017 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2017, 03:05 PM   #28
RPM2-85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 AW

I have 25k miles on my car, Hex Tuned stage 2. Been an absolute peach for a daily and from a start is far faster than an M3/4. Takes a long way into triple digits to catch up.

Car cost me under 60k out the door with all expenses (sales Tax, fees) plus mods (tune, DP, FMIC, Clear Bra). That was a deal from BMW. Always will be. New car will be cool, but not a gift anymore.

Also I think you all may be forgetting the carbon driveshaft of the M4. Anyone know if this car gets that mod? Otherwise no way it makes high wheel HP #'s like M4

Last edited by RPM2-85; 09-28-2017 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #29
M2-007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 - April 2018 Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post
A few months ago it was shock and denial. No way a CS is coming. And if it does it will be extremely limited. Right guys?

Then came the pain and the guilt. Oh my goodness. I've waited this long and I might not want my car. Is this really happening? It is!!!

Today I hit stages 3 and 4. Anger, how can you do this to me BMW? Bargaining, maybe it's not so bad? maybe I should get another car? (hi Porsche dealership and the 6 quotes sitting in my inbox) . Then straight into depression and reflection.

Then I started to remind myself of why I wanted the car in the first place. Worked through it.

Struggling with the same thing? I'll save you the grief. It's not that big of a deal. Already own one? No need to drive the thing into the river. Value will even out in the end. Take the car you want now. Enjoy the car you have now.

On Friday I will accept delivery of my Alpine White 18 LCI M2 and won't give it a second thought. I'm getting my fast fun car with just enough street power for under $60k. What many have called the best M car currently available. CS and S55 and whatever the future may hold be damned.
Can you share your M2 ordering process and time line? I am also from OC and I am so confused with my M2 order.

1. I visited the dealer on Sept 5th and told them I want to buy an M2.
2. Dealer said they have an allocation for April 2018 delivery. I ordered it.
3. A few days later they gave me the production week 41
4. I googled week 41 = October 8th -14th.
5. Yesterday (9/27) BWM website showed my M2 has entered production.

I am so confused on all these time lines

Do you remember when your car entered production? And how do you calculate when your M2 will be delivered at the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:37 PM   #30
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2-007 View Post
Can you share your M2 ordering process and time line? I am also from OC and I am so confused with my M2 order.

1. I visited the dealer on Sept 5th and told them I want to buy an M2.
2. Dealer said they have an allocation for April 2018 delivery. I ordered it.
3. A few days later they gave me the production week 41
4. I googled week 41 = October 8th -14th.
5. Yesterday (9/27) BWM website showed my M2 has entered production.

I am so confused on all these time lines

Do you remember when your car entered production? And how do you calculate when your M2 will be delivered at the dealer?
Looks like you'll be well past the break-in by April...

Here's a thread with the answers.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:52 PM   #31
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves999999 View Post
Hear hear above. I’m pretty annoyed. No sooner did my pre LCI arrive then the LCI was revealed. There was nothing groundbreaking in the LCI, and I knew it was due, so wasn’t that fussed. But for those that waited for that only to find out within weeks of them being produced that they are already superseded they must be well annoyed. Even Apple don’t update their products every 6 months. There is far too much money involved. Each new iteration impacts the value of the previous. If BMW think this kind of thing will milk more and more money out of me they might be mistaken. I’m now thinking of cancelling my CS preorder and just getting a year old M4 LCI with digital cockpit once my M2 is a year old (April). I think the money involved will be about the same. Admittedly the M2 is more “chuckable” but it’s around the same weight as the M4 despite the size. Let’s not kid ourselves, the M4 is significantly quicker once moving and way better equipped inside. Or maybe just forget BMW and their perpetual updates and get something completely different.
How close do you live to the River Avon?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:54 PM   #32
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM2-85 View Post

Also I think you all may be forgetting the carbon driveshaft of the M4. Anyone know if this car gets that mod? Otherwise no way it makes high wheel HP #'s like M4
The M2 CS definitely won't be getting the CF driveshaft.BMW is discontinuing the CF driveshaft in the M3 and M4.Starting in November BMW is switching to a steel driveshaft because they have to add a particulate filter in the exhaust system because of future emissions regulations.

Apparently the CF driveshaft takes up to much space under the car to work with the filter.BMW says that the performance and handling will be the same with the steel driveshaft.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ber+driveshaft
Appreciate 1
M2Nebula547.50
      09-28-2017, 08:02 PM   #33
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

it's not the CS but the July 2018 EOP that is the concern.
      09-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #34
importriders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

If this CS/Comp version replaces the base M2 I'm going to say it's anyone's guess what the cost will be. I'm going to say it'll be less than the base M4/3. $60k seems reasonable if the only upgrade is an engine. At which point I'll be pretty upset but I'm not cancelling my order.

The M2 LCI N55 will be a one year wonder...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 08:33 PM   #35
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
it's not the CS but the July 2018 EOP that is the concern.
Why?

The end of production for the current M2 is supposed to be June 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Well well well...

To be honest, I never even bothered to check the EOP of the original M2. Just never thought I would discover anything newsworthy...

June 2018.

Let the outrage begin.

That is when production usually stops for the current model year and then production for the new MY production year starts in July,which in this case is supposed to be the M2 CS,which will be a MY19 production year model.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 08:47 PM   #36
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by importriders View Post
If this CS/Comp version replaces the base M2 I'm going to say it's anyone's guess what the cost will be. I'm going to say it'll be less than the base M4/3. $60k seems reasonable if the only upgrade is an engine. At which point I'll be pretty upset but I'm not cancelling my order.

The M2 LCI N55 will be a one year wonder...
And you get the sweetest sounding exhaust of any current BMW model.One thing for sure is that the S55 in the M2 CS definitely isn't going to sound as good as the exhaust in the current M2.
Appreciate 1
S1monQc223.50
      09-28-2017, 08:53 PM   #37
importriders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
And you get the sweetest sounding exhaust of any current BMW model.One thing for sure is that the S55 in the M2 CS definitely isn't going to sound as good as the exhaust in the current M2.
Complete disclosure that's the main reason why I'm not cancelling. Second, even if I wanted the S55 version it'll probably be 2 years before I can order one at MSRP without a ridiculous wait. I foresee more hype with the S55 version than when the M2 was first released.

I'll enjoy my N55 for 2-3 years and then reassess the situation...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 09:25 PM   #38
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Quote:
Ditto!!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 10:25 PM   #39
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
Whether it's cars or phones or tech or whatever, there's always gonna be a better one coming. It's the nature of it all. The trick is to live in the present, enjoying what you have rather than perpetually waiting for the next best thing.
Most of the time...
I know this is the wrong forum... but i have a 2007 RS4 and am still waiting for audi to make a better version of it
      09-28-2017, 10:28 PM   #40
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Didn't you all get the memo. Cars are now the new smart phones.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 11:38 PM   #41
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Apparently the CF driveshaft takes up to much space under the car to work with the filter. BMW says that the performance and handling will be the same with the steel driveshaft.
I read that too - you gotta wonder, if it's true that performance will be the same, why did they ever put a CF driveshaft on there in the first place (and make a big deal out of it), since we know a steel one is much cheaper?
termigni1081.00
      09-29-2017, 07:26 AM   #42
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
WHERE DO YOU FALL ON THIS TIMELINE FOR BUYING AN M2?
  • Start hearing rumors about M2
  • Wait 2 years for M2 to start production
  • Order M2
  • Cancel Order for M2 due to rumor about M2 LCI
  • Order M2 LCI
  • Cancel Order for M2 LCI due to rumor about M2 CS
  • Order M2 CS
  • Cancel Order for M2 CS due to rumor about all-new M2

• Order the all-new M2 but you find out its' a FWD biased car from a Mini platform
  • Cancel Order for all-new FWD biased M2
  • Die of old age miserably.
Added a bit more.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 07:47 AM   #43
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

You forgot 2 more models: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1283715
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 08:18 AM   #44
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by importriders View Post
This. I will be pissed if the CS came in under $65k, but anything over that I'm good. At that price point I'm not buying an M2, I'll be in a Cayman.
You'll be pissed.
Appreciate 0