BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > As a person who is having a M2 delivered soon and just hearing about the M2 CS VINs..

09-28-2017, 12:27 AM   #1
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

As a person who is having a M2 delivered soon and just hearing about the M2 CS VINs..

A few months ago it was shock and denial. No way a CS is coming. And if it does it will be extremely limited. Right guys?

Then came the pain and the guilt. Oh my goodness. I've waited this long and I might not want my car. Is this really happening? It is!!!

Today I hit stages 3 and 4. Anger, how can you do this to me BMW? Bargaining, maybe it's not so bad? maybe I should get another car? (hi Porsche dealership and the 6 quotes sitting in my inbox) . Then straight into depression and reflection.

Then I started to remind myself of why I wanted the car in the first place. Worked through it.

Struggling with the same thing? I'll save you the grief. It's not that big of a deal. Already own one? No need to drive the thing into the river. Value will even out in the end. Take the car you want now. Enjoy the car you have now.

On Friday I will accept delivery of my Alpine White 18 LCI M2 and won't give it a second thought. I'm getting my fast fun car with just enough street power for under $60k. What many have called the best M car currently available. CS and S55 and whatever the future may hold be damned.

Last edited by OSee; 09-28-2017 at 12:32 AM..
Appreciate 8
kab_m2114.50
jjclyde125.50
///Cardia299.50
Spa2k1193.00
as7920596.00
mssVT98137.00
S1monQc223.50
      09-28-2017, 12:31 AM   #2
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCfromOC View Post
A few months ago it was shock and denial

Then came the pain and the guilt.

Today I hit stages 3 and 4. Anger, bargaining (hi Porsche dealership and the 6 quotes sitting in my inbox) . Then straight into depression and reflection.

Then I started to remind myself of why I wanted the car in the first place. Worked through it.

Struggling with the same thing? I'll save you the grief. It's not that big of a deal. No need to drive the thing into the river. Value will even out in the end. Take the car you want now.

On Friday I will accept delivery of my Alpine White 18 LCI M2. CS and S55 be damned.
The nature of the auto industry is they are always adding new features, models and improving in many areas. Even after the CS there will be new stuff down the like, Porsche does it also, just ask those 911R owners how they feel about the new GT3. Enjoy the car you have, its great and far more car than most will ever need.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 12:33 AM   #3
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Enjoy the car you have, its great and far more car than most will ever need.
So true
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 01:06 AM   #4
importriders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

I felt the same way for maybe 2 seconds. But I bought this car because I can't justify spending more for a track/weekend car, at least not now. In 5 years I'll sell and probably move on to a Cayman.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:47 AM   #5
linjaron
Rep
Drives: tbd

Sums up everything pretty nicely. Yeah it would be great to get a m2 cs, but it is clearly a different car in a different market segment. If it does replace the regular M2, the price will reflect the upgrade to a s55. If the price is kept low, than the car will be a la crate with options similar to a Porsche. I firmly believe optioned out it will cost significantly more than a base m2, possibly more than a m4. The M2 is a great car for 53k. Your options start opening up a lot if you jump to 65k or even more.

All being said I think the current M2 is very well positioned. Does well on the road, and great for occasionally tracking. Part of the allure of the M2 is that it is a lot of car for the money. I don’t believe the CS or even CSL will be as generous.
Appreciate 1
mssVT98137.00
      09-28-2017, 06:43 AM   #6
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

I also thought about it and if I wanted to cancel MY18
allocation which probably just got put on a vessel heading here for delivery. But then I really started thinking about would I really need it and if the extra premium would be worth it to me. Even if I did decide to, I’m wondering how long of a wait before I would actually be driving one, 1-1.5 years from now? Not too mention the dealer markup game again. Sure, it would be nice to have one with a S55, but like linjaron said, the M2 is still a lot of car for the money, and it would fit my needs as an occasional daily, weekend car, and a track day here and there.
      09-28-2017, 06:51 AM   #7
///Cardia
///M Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: N55 F87

I had the same thoughts and I take delivery this evening.

Congrats on your delivery tomorrow! ///M Power!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 07:32 AM   #8
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
People act as if they'll be able to obtain a CS with relative ease when it becomes "available". Various dealerships in the Midwest, for example, may get one allocation total throughout its entire lifespan.

Don't fret on your decision to settle for a civic M2. It's better than 99% of the cars on the road. The CS may be better than 99.5% of cars on the road, albeit with an exhaust that'll sound like, well you know.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 1
No Boost4019.00
      09-28-2017, 07:48 AM   #9
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
A few months ago it was shock and denial. No way a CS is coming. And if it does it will be extremely limited. Right guys?

Then came the pain and the guilt. Oh my goodness. I've waited this long and I might not want my car. Is this really happening? It is!!!

Today I hit stages 3 and 4. Anger, how can you do this to me BMW? Bargaining, maybe it's not so bad? maybe I should get another car? (hi Porsche dealership and the 6 quotes sitting in my inbox) . Then straight into depression and reflection.

Struggling with the same thing? I'll save you the grief. It's not that big of a deal. Already own one? No need to drive the thing into the river. Value will even out in the end. Take the car you want now. Enjoy the car you have now.

On Friday I will accept delivery of my Alpine White 18 LCI M2 and won't give it a second thought. I'm getting my fast fun car with just enough street power for under $60k. What many have called the best M car currently available. CS and S55 and whatever the future may hold be damned.
This was me picking up my end of June production M.Y 2016, when just a week later they started the M.Y 17 with the new iDrive lol.
      09-28-2017, 08:18 AM   #10
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I just posted this in another thread to someone who asked me why I didn't wait for S55 M2:

I ordered my M2 fully knowing there is a S55 M2 coming out soon. My M2 drives better than I've ever expected and paid $65k OTD. the S55 will probably be about $10k more at sticker plus very possible dealer markups of $10k ~ $20k so we are looking at a $75k ~ $95k OTD for a small coupe, which I respectfully will be against paying for car in this segment.

Our M2 is being called "the best M that BMW has made in the last 10 years" by the professional journalists. Even if you track regularly this car is more than enough to go fast and have a blast.

I'd be pissed if the S55 M2's price is very close to what I paid, AND there is no wait list, but other than that, NO THANKS!

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 3
S1monQc223.50
No Boost4019.00
      09-28-2017, 08:21 AM   #11
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
This was me picking up my end of June production M.Y 2016, when just a week later they started the M.Y 17 with the new iDrive lol.
This, I'd be pissed at. Also if I picked up a pre-LCI while LCIs are being rolled out in the same month.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #12
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
Quote:
This, I'd be pissed at. Also if I picked up a pre-LCI while LCIs are being rolled out in the same month.
I was, then I had a loaner with an IDrive 5, and it didnt impress me
      09-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #13
importriders
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
I'd be pissed if the S55 M2's price is very close to what I paid, AND there is no wait list, but other than that, NO THANKS!
This. I will be pissed if the CS came in under $65k, but anything over that I'm good. At that price point I'm not buying an M2, I'll be in a Cayman.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 09:11 AM   #14
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:

I have an incoming LCI AW M2 coming late Dec. I am high on the dealer list for the CS and believe I will get one. That said, I agree you should take delivery and be very happy.

It could be 12 months before many of us get an allocation.

I believe the CS will be mid-high $60k base and easily mid $70k with DCT and typical options. I do not expect that to hurt the current M2 value.

Last edited by devo; 09-28-2017 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 10:16 AM   #15
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by importriders View Post
This. I will be pissed if the CS came in under $65k, but anything over that I'm good. At that price point I'm not buying an M2, I'll be in a Cayman.
exactly or slightly used 911's.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #16
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Long Beach Blue M2

Quote:
When I ordered my M2 last June my sales associate came out and said "I have good news and bad news. Bad news is the car will be another $200. Good news is it will be a 2017 model." After being on the wait list for almost 2 years he pretty much assumed I would not cancel the deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #17
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

WHERE DO YOU FALL ON THIS TIMELINE FOR BUYING AN M2?
  • Start hearing rumors about M2
  • Wait 2 years for M2 to start production
  • Order M2
  • Cancel Order for M2 due to rumor about M2 LCI
  • Order M2 LCI
  • Cancel Order for M2 LCI due to rumor about M2 CS
  • Order M2 CS
  • Cancel Order for M2 CS due to rumor about all-new M2
  • Die of old age
Appreciate 10
M2Nebula547.50
atxsk8r1568.50
STK215.50
S1monQc223.50
Dee Pee176.00
///Cardia299.50
twin fed1175.50
kab_m2114.50
      09-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #18
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
LOL....yep, that was me as well
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 12:36 PM   #19
linjaron
Rep
Drives: tbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by importriders View Post
Exactly, Caymans are a very attractive option for those that like small coupes when you get into the m4 price range to properly spec one. I would highly doubt the CS would come in anywhere close pricewise to the base M2. Even the performance limited edition with just minor M performance pieces was a hefty chunk of change. To think that you would be getting a s55 and other goodies for less than that is....quite optimistic. Personally, I think that it will be cheap if the car comes in at 65k, I’m leaning towards 70k+ with options on the low end. If it’s faster than a m4 around the track, bmw will show it in the pricing. They’re not going to release a M2 that’s better than a M4 for cheaper.
Appreciate 1
termigni1080.00
      09-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #20
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

Whether it's cars or phones or tech or whatever, there's always gonna be a better one coming. It's the nature of it all. The trick is to live in the present, enjoying what you have rather than perpetually waiting for the next best thing.
Appreciate 2
jjclyde125.50
      09-28-2017, 12:58 PM   #21
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
Whether it's cars or phones or tech or whatever, there's always gonna be a better one coming. It's the nature of it all. The trick is to live in the present, enjoying what you have rather than perpetually waiting for the next best thing.
I hate this logic. It's not the same comparison. This is like Apple in January being like "hey, iPhone X without notch and with in screen fingerprint reader, available now!". Sorry not sorry those of you who got the phone in November.

No one would be bitching if this was a G87 M2 with S55 or S58 or something like that. Everyone is bitching because this car has barely been in production for 18 months and there's already talk and nigh on confirmation of ending production and replacing it with something better for presumably a similar amount of money.

A car is also a larger purchase. Not something people replace every 2 years, no matter what car companies would like you to believe.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 01:29 PM   #22
Reeves999999
Rep

Hear hear above. I’m pretty annoyed. No sooner did my pre LCI arrive then the LCI was revealed. There was nothing groundbreaking in the LCI, and I knew it was due, so wasn’t that fussed. But for those that waited for that only to find out within weeks of them being produced that they are already superseded they must be well annoyed. Even Apple don’t update their products every 6 months. There is far too much money involved. Each new iteration impacts the value of the previous. If BMW think this kind of thing will milk more and more money out of me they might be mistaken. I’m now thinking of cancelling my CS preorder and just getting a year old M4 LCI with digital cockpit once my M2 is a year old (April). I think the money involved will be about the same. Admittedly the M2 is more “chuckable” but it’s around the same weight as the M4 despite the size. Let’s not kid ourselves, the M4 is significantly quicker once moving and way better equipped inside. Or maybe just forget BMW and their perpetual updates and get something completely different.
Appreciate 0