Drives: M2 CS

M2 CS Review Car Magazine

Artemis28911.50
      10-23-2020, 03:33 PM   #2
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Conclusion:
"We need to put all of this into context though. The CS is indeed the ultimate M2, a fantastic sports car. But is it worth an extra £23,000, almost 50% more than the M2 Competition ? Now of course, if you have an endless budget, then £75,000 doesn't sound like that much. And it's the same if only the ultimate BMW will do for you. But for the rest of us, I don't think this CS does enough to justify the extra money over the already brilliant M2 Competition."
      10-23-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansomatic View Post
The M2CS is 17mm wider???
I was also surprised when I heard him say that (03:58 - 04:09).

Track & body width of the M2C and M2 CS are identical.

Difference: the M2 CS features add-on fender extensions on both sides (2 x 8.5mm). So yeah, technically speaking the M2 CS is 'wider' if you don't remove the fender extensions.

M2C:
Name:  M2C_Width.png
Views: 2843
Size:  97.9 KB

M2 CS:
Name:  M2CS_Width.png
Views: 2839
Size:  95.9 KB
      10-23-2020, 04:21 PM   #4
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Why does it have the fender extensions? I thought those were usually to comply with laws that require the wheel to not poke out further than the fender? So, is the wheel base actually wider than the M2C?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 04:29 PM   #5
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I'm just saying..... This reviewer wanted the M2CS to be the car that "beat the cayman GT4 at its own game". Umm, wrong platform chief. And probably wanted that at 85k.

M2C - Super bargain
M2CS - Not a bargain

Round and round we go
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 04:29 PM   #6
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
Why does it have the fender extensions? I thought those were usually to comply with laws that require the wheel to not poke out further than the fender? So, is the wheel base actually wider than the M2C?
No, identical.

It's just because of regulations.
"7. Wheel arch extenders
You might have noticed the last few weeks that existing models within the BMW model lineup are being outfitted with plastic strips at the top of the wheel arch. These new wheel arch stripes were introduced because of homologation guidelines.
About 70 countries across the world are introducing new regulations when it comes to noise and road / wheel noise. The regulations state that the tires have to be “within” the arches and therefore the extenders were installed. There is no general guideline across all these countries, but many different ones. The extenders are there to make sure all new guidelines are covered."

(source: here)
      10-23-2020, 04:41 PM   #7
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

So, do current production M2C come with them too? Didn't know they were doing this across the board now.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 05:16 PM   #8
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I'm just saying..... This reviewer wanted the M2CS to be the car that "beat the cayman GT4 at its own game". Umm, wrong platform chief. And probably wanted that at 85k.

M2C - Super bargain
M2CS - Not a bargain

Round and round we go
Actually, we learned from the Supadice's recent thread that if you try to build an M2 CS wannabe by heavily modding an M2C, you still fall far short even after you've run up the price to CS territory. So, once again, if you like the complete package offered by the CS, the value is there. No one is saying it's the bargain car the M2 Competition is, but Supadice's thread demonstrated with real numbers that a lot of the complaining about the CS price is unjustified.
Appreciate 1
Supadice1017.50
      10-23-2020, 07:43 PM   #9
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Conclusion:
"We need to put all of this into context though. The CS is indeed the ultimate M2, a fantastic sports car. But is it worth an extra £23,000, almost 50% more than the M2 Competition ? Now of course, if you have an endless budget, then £75,000 doesn't sound like that much. And it's the same if only the ultimate BMW will do for you. But for the rest of us, I don't think this CS does enough to justify the extra money over the already brilliant M2 Competition."
I do find a lot of these cost comparisons humorous. In many of the markets the M2CS sells in, including Australia, it is much less expensive than the 718 GT4 AND GTS - both cars I was cross shopping the CS with.
Appreciate 2
Bimmed Out1908.50
Hedoniste3770.50
      10-23-2020, 08:14 PM   #10
black ming
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS

'It's civilised, and relatively polite."

Could also summarise the review and driving!
Appreciate 1
Bimmed Out1908.50
      10-23-2020, 08:33 PM   #11
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
Quote:
M2C - Super bargain
M2CS - Not a bargain
Round and round we go
Actually, we learned from the Supadice's recent thread that if you try to build an M2 CS wannabe by heavily modding an M2C, you still fall far short even after you've run up the price to CS territory. So, once again, if you like the complete package offered by the CS, the value is there. No one is saying it's the bargain car the M2 Competition is, but Supadice's thread demonstrated with real numbers that a lot of the complaining about the CS price is unjustified.
It was also pointed out that it depends on perspective:
  • seen from a customer point of view: yes, accumulating all added M2 CS parts and features separately at MSRP (one by one, without 'pack' benefits), will set an M2C owner back a prohibitively high amount for a 'conversion' of what was and always will remain an M2C (if you want an M2 CS, go buy an M2 CS instead of an M2C);
  • seen from the BMW perspective: the MSRP quoted by BMW always includes a profit margin; accumulating the MSRP of each added M2 CS part or feature gives a distorted view of what it has truly cost BMW compared to an M2C (which itself is also sold with a profit); even with the cost of M2 CS R&D (capitalizing further on existing R&D and know how regarding the original M2, the LCI M2 and the M2C) and added M2 CS parts and features included, and with the omission of omitted M2C parts as part of the equation, we may reasonably assume that the M2 CS is a (way) more profitable car for BMW than the M2C, regardless the 2200 cars production run.
The referenced video coined changes as "incremental" and speaks of "M2C Plus".

The change from original M2 to M2C was more significant (different engine, different brakes, different seats, different front end, different exhaust, different instrument cluster, some interior changes, etc.). The M2 CS consisted of further fine-tuning and upgrading the existing M2C package and a deliberate 2200 production run for obvious r€a$ons.

Quote:
I agree.

The closest competitor of the M2 CS is not the Porsche 718 Cayman GT4/GTS or, say, the BMW M3/M4. Its closest competitor is the M2 Competition.
      10-23-2020, 08:52 PM   #12
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
M2C - Super bargain
M2CS - Not a bargain
Round and round we go
It was also pointed out that it depends on perspective:
  • seen from a customer point of view: yes, accumulating all added M2 CS parts and features separately at MSRP (one by one, without 'pack' benefits), will set an M2C owner back a prohibitively high amount for a 'conversion' of what was and always will remain an M2C (if you want an M2 CS, go buy an M2 CS instead of an M2C);
  • seen from the BMW perspective: the MSRP quoted by BMW always includes a profit margin; accumulating the MSRP of each added M2 CS part or feature gives a distorted view of what it has truly cost BMW compared to an M2C (which itself is also sold with a profit); even with the cost of M2 CS R&D (capitalizing further on existing R&D and know how regarding the original M2, the LCI M2 and the M2C) and added M2 CS parts and features included, and with the omission of omitted M2C parts as part of the equation, we may reasonably assume that the M2 CS is a (way) more profitable car for BMW than the M2C, regardless the 2200 cars production run.
The referenced video coined changes as "incremental" and speaks of "M2C Plus".

The change from original M2 to M2C was more significant (different engine, different brakes, different seats, different front end, different exhaust, different instrument cluster, some interior changes, etc.). The M2 CS consisted of further fine-tuning and upgrading the existing M2C package and a deliberate 2200 production run for obvious r€a$ons.
M2 CS seats are a bigger upgrade from M2C than M2C seats were from OG M2. Merino vs Dakota which is huge for both comfort and if you track occasionally as you don't slide all over the place. Plus CF roof on M2 CS is not same as add-on roof for M2C and adjustable suspension is also big upgrade. Then there is the under-warranty power upgrade and delivery which many others have said is much more noticeable than what this reviewer claims.
      10-23-2020, 08:52 PM   #13
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Of course it's not worth the premium; however, it's the only way you're getting a CF roof, adaptive suspension, that hood, and other things that make the car unique - without doing major surgery and probably voiding warranty. I suspect next gen will come w/ CF roof & adaptive suspension & the new engine. If BMW swings & misses on next gen, this will definitely be coveted car for years to come. I would pay for one...if I wasn't too lazy to chase one down.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 08:57 PM   #14
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoale View Post
Of course it's not worth the premium; however, it's the only way you're getting a CF roof, adaptive suspension, that hood, and other things that make the car unique. I suspect next gen will come w/ CF roof & adaptive suspension & the new engine. If BMW swings & misses on next gen, this will definitely be coveted car for years to come. I would pay for one...if I wasn't too lazy to chase one down.
Really? You're too lazy to chase one down. There are plenty of allocations available with one phone call...see multiple different threads..
      10-23-2020, 08:59 PM   #15
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoale View Post
Of course it's not worth the premium; however, it's the only way you're getting a CF roof, adaptive suspension, that hood, and other things that make the car unique - without doing major surgery and probably voiding warranty. I suspect next gen will come w/ CF roof & adaptive suspension & the new engine. If BMW swings & misses on next gen, this will definitely be coveted car for years to come.
I agree. You don't need to mod your car. BMW M did that for you, out of the box, born that way at the Leipzig factory, bestowed with a CS badge.

That's also why I noted in my previous comment that if you want an M2 CS, go buy an M2 CS instead of an M2C.
      10-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #16
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

Quote:
It was also pointed out that it depends on perspective
Quote:
So, once again, if you like the complete package offered by the CS, the value is there.
Yep. ^^^
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #17
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
The closest competitor of the M2 CS is not the Porsche 718 Cayman GT4/GTS or, say, the BMW M3/M4. Its closest competitor is the M2 Competition.
Yes!!!
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2020, 01:22 AM   #18
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
It's pretty clear this review was written before he drove the car. He looks about 15. I have to confess, at his age, I also developed a fondness for Cliff and his notes. Nice footage though.
Appreciate 1
Bimmed Out1908.50
      10-26-2020, 11:08 AM   #19
Supadice
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

This guy is what u call a WANKER
      10-28-2020, 09:48 AM   #20
il Nemico
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RS

Meh.
This review was average and seemed like a repackaged script..

The voice inflection and delivery reminds me of an infomercial / sportscaster.
Who the f talks like this in real life.. oh, that guy probably.

It gave me the Douche-chills.
Appreciate 2
Bimmed Out1908.50
Supadice1017.50