BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Aftermarket CS exhaust options?

09-06-2020, 06:48 AM   #1
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
I'm coming off a MPE on my F80 which I was very happy with. I've heard a lot about the Remus and Akra exhausts for the CS (not sure if a M Perfornance option even exists?). I understand Akrapovic is titanium and comes with weight benefits. Is that the same for any other options? I also understand linkpipes can take further weight away and add further power (not sure about sound improvement?). I'd be interested in others' thoughts and experiences?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 08:52 AM   #2
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

It this level of tune I suspect power gains will be minimal, but you should get improved (personal taste) sound and potential weight reduction.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 10:47 AM   #3
Mikli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05F36F16F82E90E86E46E36E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
It this level of tune I suspect power gains will be minimal, but you should get improved (personal taste) sound and potential weight reduction.
Totally agree.

Akrapovic have the weight saving if the price is similar.

I saw Dinan and Eisenmann has the options. Wonder if just changing the mid pipes or just muffler would improve the sound. I also found the M2CS for be louder.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 11:40 AM   #4
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
I'm coming off a MPE on my F80 which I was very happy with. I've heard a lot about the Remus and Akra exhausts for the CS (not sure if a M Perfornance option even exists?). I understand Akrapovic is titanium and comes with weight benefits. Is that the same for any other options? I also understand linkpipes can take further weight away and add further power (not sure about sound improvement?). I'd be interested in others' thoughts and experiences?
Just to check: you're thinking of fitting an aftermarket exhaust to a CS, or you're looking at fitting a CS exhaust to the M2C?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 02:41 PM   #5
blitzyo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C

Here's a video of one. Sounds pretty good.

Edit: Akra on m2cs

Last edited by blitzyo; 09-06-2020 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #6
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Quote:
Just to check: you're thinking of fitting an aftermarket exhaust to a CS, or you're looking at fitting a CS exhaust to the M2C?
An aftermarket to the CS. Though wait until hearing it first in person. It was the first thing done for the S55 in the F80 and unless they've done amazing things in the last 5+ years to the stock sound am expecting to do the same again for the CS.
Appreciate 1
M-Azing19.50
      09-06-2020, 04:46 PM   #7
gmhl10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a M2 CS

I'm considering the Akrapovic with the link pipe. I just like how this exhaust sounds better than any other brand from M2C sound clips (I doubt it'd sound any different on a M2 CS). Not to mention, I just really want to get rid of that hanging muffler look as soon as I can. That way, I don't have to cut the stock exhaust. It's an easy re-install of the stock one if I ever decide it's time to sell the car. I mean... you can technically use some slip fit clamps, but it's obviously recognizable it's been altered then.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 10:27 PM   #8
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhl10 View Post
I'm considering the Akrapovic with the link pipe. I just like how this exhaust sounds better than any other brand from M2C sound clips (I doubt it'd sound any different on a M2 CS). Not to mention, I just really want to get rid of that hanging muffler look as soon as I can. That way, I don't have to cut the stock exhaust. It's an easy re-install of the stock one if I ever decide it's time to sell the car. I mean... you can technically use some slip fit clamps, but it's obviously recognizable it's been altered then.
That's a good idea about not having to cut the OEM.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #9
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Yeah, but then you have to get a tune.

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...81&yearId=5912

Quote:
When installing the Akrapovič Evolution link pipe set, remapping the ECU is mandatory in order to prevent potential “check engine light” warning signals.
Which is strange because the M3 didn't require one.

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...70&yearId=5052

Quote:
The complete system needs no re-programming of the ECU because it doesn’t trigger any warning lights
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 03:00 PM   #10
gmhl10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...81&yearId=5912

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...70&yearId=5052
I think the tune is to tune out the OPF DTC. The F80 M3 didn't have the OPF so that's why no tuning was required. Would likely not apply for countries that do not require OPF like the USA. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken about this.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 09:06 PM   #11
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhl10 View Post
I think the tune is to tune out the OPF DTC. The F80 M3 didn't have the OPF so that's why no tuning was required. Would likely not apply for countries that do not require OPF like the USA. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken about this.
You are correct

No tune or changes required for cars without the OPFs
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 02:53 AM   #12
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

These damn OPFs are such a pain in the ass.
They just destroy the sound and they don’t let you avoid those using aftermarket exhaust full system not doing the tune to DME.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #13
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
These damn OPFs are such a pain in the ass.
They just destroy the sound and they don’t let you avoid those using aftermarket exhaust full system not doing the tune to DME.
I read from someone who scheduled to service his M2C (2 years / 15K km) that the dealership needs his car a full day as they also are required to upgrade the DME software: rumored to be improved BMW protection of OPF/emissions levels and against tuning. The engine start should be a little quieter after the software update.

Does anyone have more info about that DME software update ?
"Digital Motor Electronics [DME]
The comprehensive management system for your engine: Digital Motor Electronics (DME) controls all key aspects of the engine's operation, ensuring optimum reliability, maximum performance and the lowest possible fuel consumption and emissions.
By managing key engine functions, Digital Motor Electronics (DME) guarantees optimum reliability, maximum performance and the lowest possible fuel consumption and emissions. It sensors continually all factors affecting the operation of the engine. The data is then evaluated by a microprocessor and translated into commands for the fuel injection and ignition systems.
The DME system receives up to 1,000 separate items of data input per second, including engine speed, air intake volume, air temperature and density, coolant temperature, throttle position, accelerator position and vehicle speed.
DME verifies all incoming data by comparing it with the reaction of the rest of the system. If a defective sensor delivers unrealistic data, DME replaces this with preset standard values. If a spark plug fails, DME immediately cuts fuel flow to this cylinder in order to prevent engine damage.
DME looks after the electrical power system too, with sensors measuring the charge and condition of the battery as well as current electrical power consumption. By maintaining optimum battery charge levels and thus avoiding flat batteries, it prevents damage to the battery and guarantees maximum battery life, thereby helping to ensure the engine always starts readily.
BMW introduced the world's first Digital Motor Electronics system in the BMW 732i in 1979."

(source: here)
      09-08-2020, 02:15 PM   #14
2nd chance
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I read from someone who scheduled to service his M2C (2 years / 15K km) that the dealership needs his car a full day as they also are required to upgrade the DME software: rumored to be improved BMW protection of OPF/emissions levels and against tuning. The engine start should be a little quieter after the software update.
Say what??? I guess OG is exempt???
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 09:13 AM   #15
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Quote:

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...38;yearId=5912

Quote:
When installing the Akrapovič Evolution link pipe set, remapping the ECU is mandatory in order to prevent potential “check engine light” warning signals.

https://www.akrapovic.com/en/car/pro...38;yearId=5052

Quote:
The complete system needs no re-programming of the ECU because it doesn’t trigger any warning lights
Is that only if you do the link pipes? If I only got the Akra slip on is any tune required? I'd expect not?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 09:28 AM   #16
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Is that only if you do the link pipes? If I only got the Akra slip on is any tune required? I'd expect not?
Yeah, the link pipes replace the section where the OPF is located on the Euro models. There's still a cat located on those pipes in the US version though.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=18_1090

But the M3 has the same setup and it doesn't require a tune, so it sounds as though the tune is specifically for the OPF like the other guys said.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 07:59 AM   #17
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP, F85, E70, G07

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
I wonder if the Dinan exhaust will fit.
      09-14-2020, 03:21 PM   #18
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
gmhl10384.50
      09-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #19
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I hate to admit it, but my opinion is that a new exhaust on the M2CS is like polishing a turd. If you can get some weight reduction, then fair enough. It's just not to my liking in stock or modified form, but fortunately for me it's not a bother.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 07:22 PM   #20
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I hate to admit it, but my opinion is that a new exhaust on the M2CS is like polishing a turd. If you can get some weight reduction, then fair enough. It's just not to my liking in stock or modified form, but fortunately for me it's not a bother.
I got the MPE for the S55 on the F80 and it made the car. Not sure why an exhaust update wouldn't improve the CS S55's sound?
Appreciate 1
Bimmed Out1908.50
      09-14-2020, 07:59 PM   #21
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I got the MPE for the S55 on the F80 and it made the car. Not sure why an exhaust update wouldn't improve the CS S55's sound?
Maybe it's just tough to capture on video. I have not heard the differences in person, so maybe it deserves reservation of judgement.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 09:15 PM   #22
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe it's just tough to capture on video. I have not heard the differences in person, so maybe it deserves reservation of judgement.
Almost nothing on the planet sounds as good as your current car. But when you get it just try it for a while (especially after break in when you can give it the full herbs). I really like how my M2C sounds. It's a generally quiet car but does have its moments when required.
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4536.50