BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Another CF Roof Issue...

12-20-2023, 12:34 PM   #23
romes4rs
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS, X3MC, MYP

Here is a pic of mine, similar coloring only seen in the right light. Garage stored in Texas for the harsh climate lol, but definitely still seen sun and heat. Oh and have ppf on roof from new so also not sure about the dust theory. I’ll bring up during next service just to have it on the record.

IMO it’s always been there, likely a manufacturing defect as some suggested. Just another data point.

Edit after seeing the pic uploaded it's pretty hard to see but it's there. Sorry for the dirty garage queen, near 9k miles!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      12-20-2023, 08:41 PM   #24
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

There you go…same exact thing, so I’m not the only one. I’m keeping an eye on mine, no change since purchase earlier this year. Still going to raise it with BMW, get it documented and push them to come up with a solution for a fix…but again if this is purely cosmetic and doesn’t get worse, not sure it’s worth having some tech rip my car apart over…tbd, all comes down to what the actual defect is causing it.

Let’s stay in touch if anyone hears anything from bmw, and would love to keep hearing of anyone else with this so we can all work together on getting a solution from BMW.
Appreciate 4
chris7197334.00
MDuckie93.00
Tornado1M1211.00
      12-23-2023, 09:09 AM   #25
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Following now. Luckily I haven't noticed any issues on my CS. It's still under warranty till next December. Any thoughts on ppf helping with this? I know on the E92 it's the UV rays that delaminate it quicker. I still need to do it on my m3. Planning to do a stage 1 correction after winter then will do the ppf on the m3 roof
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 11:47 AM   #26
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevils7 View Post
Following now. Luckily I haven't noticed any issues on my CS. It's still under warranty till next December. Any thoughts on ppf helping with this? I know on the E92 it's the UV rays that delaminate it quicker. I still need to do it on my m3. Planning to do a stage 1 correction after winter then will do the ppf on the m3 roof
PPF always a good idea on a CF roof; however, I don't think that would stop the issue I'm having here. This appears to be some clouding beneath the surface, almost as if the clear is pulling away from the carbon weave...I don't think protection from above would have helped prevent this. PPF a good idea though to help protect from other potential cosmetic damage.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      12-24-2023, 07:18 AM   #27
NYNick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 74 tii 78 SC 20 M2CS

I'm going to check my garage queen today. PPF on the roof since day one.

Just checked. My roof is fine.

Last edited by NYNick; 12-24-2023 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
      02-03-2024, 10:55 PM   #28
nocospeed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

All- Not sure which thread to post this in. I have a HS CS that has some whitening/discoloration in the passenger rear of the roof. I think a few others have seen this. The dealer is talking about replacement. Those of you that have had it replaced, any issues? Anything I should be concerned about? Does it show up on the carfax? Any advice is appreciated. I will try to post some photos tomorrow.

Mine has had PPF since day 1 and stored in my garage. No excess sun/heat issues other than when it gets driven.
Attached Images

Last edited by nocospeed; 02-04-2024 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: added photos
Appreciate 3
chris7197334.00
RideM317.00
thrilla123.50
      02-04-2024, 05:42 AM   #29
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocospeed View Post
All- Not sure which thread to post this in. I have a HS CS that has some whitening/discoloration in the passenger rear of the roof. I think a few others have seen this. The dealer is talking about replacement. Those of you that have had it replaced, any issues? Anything I should be concerned about? Does it show up on the carfax? Any advice is appreciated. I will try to post some photos tomorrow.

Mine has had PPF since day 1 and stored in my garage. No excess sun/heat issues other than when it gets driven.
Can you post a pic? Sounds similar to what I’m experiencing but not certain…good to hear dealer is taking it seriously.

There’s another thread here where a guy had his replaced because of a bubble that formed. If I recall correctly, it was taken to a body shop (paid by BMW) and the pulled the interior apart to be able to get this in. Sure you know this but unlike other CF roof panels that are more cosmetic (caps), this roof is structural and comes up from below. Front and rear windshield need to come out as well, along with a lot of interior parts. It’s a massive job, but worth it I think.

Don’t think this would show up in great detail on carfax but not certain. Either way it won’t show up as an accident, so shouldn’t impact value.

I’ve contemplated seeing if BMW would just give me the roof, and then I can keep that in storage with the car and not actually replace it. I think the fog I see is merely cosmetic and not compromising the integrity of the roof, so that’s an option worth considering if you are on the fence on tearing your car apart (like me)

Please keep us posted on this…my car goes in for annual service in April and that is when I’m starting this fight.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 08:24 AM   #30
CC3586
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS

Quote:

Mine is UK RHD car , after replaced water leaking from the front left corner sent it back to get fixed and I’m not accept my car back , so they have the car for 6 months, at the same time complain to BMW UK customer service about it and discuss with them so many times finally they admitted it’s they fault ,recently we make a deal if I accept the car they happy to give 2 more years extended warranty, refund road tax, give me carbon ceramic brakes retrofit kit fitted as a goodwill and add notice on my key/VIN, so if any issues arise again just visit any BMW workshop in UK UK HQ will cover it again within 3 years (for the roof and interior electrical errors caused by the leak).

Hope my experience can help you
Appreciate 1
RideM317.00
      02-04-2024, 09:52 AM   #31
nocospeed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Photos added above
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 10:04 AM   #32
CC3586
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS

Quote:
Photos added above
You need to try hard to get them give you some kind of warranty after replaced, according my research there are at least three cases in UK roof leaking after roof replacement.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 10:54 AM   #33
NYNick
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Photos added above
That's the worst one I've seen.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      02-04-2024, 08:22 PM   #34
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC3586 View Post
You need to try hard to get them give you some kind of warranty after replaced, according my research there are at least three cases in UK roof leaking after roof replacement.
That’s why I’m going to try for an OEM roof and just keep the part uninstalled…feel like either way you go has its negatives / positives, but since my roof is seemingly cosmetic only in nature and not getting worse, that may be the lesser evil…have some time before I go in for annual so will keep thinking on it. Keep us posted on how this turns out!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 09:11 PM   #35
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
I have a HS CS that has some whitening/discoloration in the passenger rear of the roof. I think a few others have seen this.
Wow, that looks like air pockets from incomplete resin vacuum saturation. If that's what it is you're talking full on cracks when subjected to the twisting forces of an HPDE.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 12:12 PM   #36
Crossmax
Rep
Drives: M2 CS DCT HS

That looks seriously bad. Any idea when it started to appear and how quickly it developed to how it looks today?

Seeing this in combination with most cars going out of warranty soon (mine is already out of warranty) while the spare part price has almost tenfolded makes me feel that we should try and speak up against BMW and at a bare minimum ensure OEM spare parts remain available in case needed and at a reasonable price compared to the outrageous price it recently went up to.
Appreciate 2
      02-06-2024, 04:56 AM   #37
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossmax View Post
That looks seriously bad. Any idea when it started to appear and how quickly it developed to how it looks today?

Seeing this in combination with most cars going out of warranty soon (mine is already out of warranty) while the spare part price has almost tenfolded makes me feel that we should try and speak up against BMW and at a bare minimum ensure OEM spare parts remain available in case needed and at a reasonable price compared to the outrageous price it recently went up to.
I’m down to look into that - basically we’d get as many current CS owners we know on here to “sign” onto a letter to BMW expressing the concern. Could even have it come from a lawyer and if we get a few folks to chip in the for the fee sure it would be cheap and have more impact. Let me ask a few of my lawyer buddies what something like that would look like.

Then next question is, are there any other major forums that CS owners could be on / not on this one? I have no clue…but will research the above a bit this week.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2024, 10:19 AM   #38
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPTM View Post
I’m down to look into that - basically we’d get as many current CS owners we know on here to “sign” onto a letter to BMW expressing the concern. Could even have it come from a lawyer and if we get a few folks to chip in the for the fee sure it would be cheap and have more impact. Let me ask a few of my lawyer buddies what something like that would look like.

Then next question is, are there any other major forums that CS owners could be on / not on this one? I have no clue…but will research the above a bit this week.
I will sign. I looks every time i pass my car in the garage. My car does not look like this problem exists, however clearly I am on the lookout.
      02-06-2024, 11:00 AM   #39
NYNick
First Lieutenant
Rep

We don't need a lawyer. We just need a couple of hundred owners to sign a letter sent to BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 01:23 PM   #40
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
I hope for you that BMW will fix it for free!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 07:11 PM   #41
bruiser135msport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 CS & Bmw E21 320i

Lemon Consumer Laws : USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedoniste View Post
I hope for you that BMW will fix it for free!
Hi All
Doesn’t the USA have “lemon laws” and when do they apply ?

I’m surprised that the USA does not have Federal consumer warranties for a warrantable product outside of its factory warranty (?)

I admit that the Consumer law has changed for the better recently here in Australia (ie product consumer warranty does not expire at the end of the factory expressed warranty) .

If you are going to pursue Bmw you really need to prosecute BMW AG Germany and that will benefit all Bmw owners worldwide.

Hope the OP gets a satisfactory outcome .

Cheers
Bruiser
Appreciate 1
Hedoniste3834.00
      02-06-2024, 08:05 PM   #42
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser135msport View Post
Hi All
Doesn’t the USA have “lemon laws” and when do they apply ?

I’m surprised that the USA does not have Federal consumer warranties for a warrantable product outside of its factory warranty (?)

I admit that the Consumer law has changed for the better recently here in Australia (ie product consumer warranty does not expire at the end of the factory expressed warranty) .

If you are going to pursue Bmw you really need to prosecute BMW AG Germany and that will benefit all Bmw owners worldwide.

Hope the OP gets a satisfactory outcome .

Cheers
Bruiser
Nope, the US has terrible consumer protection laws. Our lemon laws are state laws and only apply to cars under warranty, usually under 2 years old, and have repeated defects or are held for a long time by the dealer/mechanic for repairs.

I don't think you'll see anything happen in any region though. BMW was never held accountable for the large numbers of blown up S85 and S65 engines. They probably won't be held accountable for a car that had only a few thousand unit run.

I wonder if BMW will run out of roofs? Artemis mentioned they were forced into using the roof with the weave defects and all because of time and cost constraints.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 04:06 AM   #43
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPTM View Post

Step one: finding out who is the best person at BMW to send the letter to.
      02-08-2024, 04:02 PM   #44
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I actually believe mine is starting. I think I see a similar pattern on the rear side. What part of the warranty would this fall under. I'm going to take mine in to point it out. Get it on record.