BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Porsche to replace M2CS?

10-16-2023, 02:53 PM   #23
jbse39
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 M3, 20 M2 CS, 23 X5 45e

I have a 997.2 GT3 and I think it would make a decent daily, and 991 would be even better as a daily. With that said, I bought M2 CS as daily with usable backseat and all. Both suffer from ground clearance challenges. I already had to replace the CF front spoiler on the M2 and had it not been flexible rubber pierce, would have done so on the GT3.

While I have been driving the GT3 as a track car last a few years (with harness and RE71 because I don't trailer it) M2 in bone stock form is barely a second off of the GT3 at Summit Point main track. With better tires and pads, the 2 would be neck and neck, I think.

All that said, GT3 is a lot more engaging and exciting car to drive, street or track.
Appreciate 5
M3R12168.50
Telluride125.00
chris7197334.00
      10-16-2023, 08:33 PM   #24
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbse39 View Post
I have a 997.2 GT3 and I think it would make a decent daily, and 991 would be even better as a daily. With that said, I bought M2 CS as daily with usable backseat and all. Both suffer from ground clearance challenges. I already had to replace the CF front spoiler on the M2 and had it not been flexible rubber pierce, would have done so on the GT3.

While I have been driving the GT3 as a track car last a few years (with harness and RE71 because I don't trailer it) M2 in bone stock form is barely a second off of the GT3 at Summit Point main track. With better tires and pads, the 2 would be neck and neck, I think.

All that said, GT3 is a lot more engaging and exciting car to drive, street or track.
We need to Sync up sometime!

I’m in Haymarket on route to SP if your in the Metro area.

Would love to CK out your GT3 and do some back country drives together!

Definitely PM me!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 01:20 PM   #25
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
I had been thinking if it was a good idea to upgrade to a GT3. Then i tried to learn more about each generation , and as expected each generation has its own character. The most important factor for me on a car is to generate unlimited thrills while driving on the road. No matter if its slow or fast.

If i was to buy a GT3 for myself i would consider an older generation to be honest since the 992 is just too much of a car for me. Its easy driving that thing fast on the road , because its just super refined. It needs a track to extract itself, its just too serious. I cant blame Porsche , its just the new gen , it has to be faster , more capable machine. Just like any other manufacturer anyway. And that should normally be a good thing , but faster doesnt mean better. - because there will always be something faster around the corner.

To me , although i have never driven one , its NOT the GT3 that im saying “thats the one , yes i want it , NOW! “

Id much prefer a 996/997 or 991 GT3 cars , or even a 981 or a 718 GT4. The 992 grew in size , and many say that it lack some character.

Anyway , in my opinion there is currently no Porsche that i would trade in with the CS. They re different animals , they do different things and although no one ever regret buying a GT3 from all gens , i think that if you re getting one , at least choose your favourite that matches your taste.

Back to the M2 CS , im in love with it! Its the car that im dreaming driving in 20-30 yrs and take me back in time , feel young again ; to remember all those thrills and places ive been with it. I dont think i will ever get bored with it , its just the right balance between fun/performance. It looks awesome , its rare - what more do i need ? Oh yes , a GT3 ! That will come as an addition to the fleet , i wont be replacing one of the best M cars ever made.

But thats just me , call me crazy but thats what im thinking on the topic. A 997 GT3 4.0 RS in rubystar red , that would be the one. But i highly doubt will ever come , those things are super rare and a RHD car in that spec would worth a million Euros in 10 yrs. AND , even if i have its money - the emotional value wont be the same with the CS , that i spec myself , brand new etc.

Heres a video of a recent drive i’ve had , cup2 tires, raining , mountains , Wednesday afternoon with 0 traffic. Make sure you put the quality at 1440p 50fps for a better experience. If you re from a phone , better open it from the Youtube APP!

https://youtu.be/1Qa4riW7Wfs?si=gak_qs39itowUAZm

Last edited by F87EVO; 11-15-2023 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 8
MDuckie93.00
Tornado1M1211.00
Davil6524.50
M3R12168.50
      10-19-2023, 07:42 AM   #26
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
They don’t make a car that can replace the CS. Last decent Porsche was the 997 911. But that’s only ever going to be a weekend car.

So the answer is to add to your collection.
Years will pass until people understand what is the F87 CS.

Just like 997 GT3 RS which was also great from the beginning, but with the 991 era and especially 992 era they gained legendary status. 991 RS , 992 RS were faster cars no doubt! But the specialness of the 997 RS , the balance between performance/fun is just ... sweet spot !

Last edited by F87EVO; 10-19-2023 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 4
Davil6524.50
M3R12168.50
Tornado1M1211.00
      10-20-2023, 12:57 PM   #27
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoBlue View Post
Years will pass until people understand what is the F87 CS.

Just like 997 GT3 RS which was also great from the beginning, but with the 991 era and especially 992 era they gained legendary status. 991 RS , 992 RS were faster cars no doubt! But the specialness of the 997 RS , the balance between performance/fun is just ... sweet spot !
I have been able to write much since getting the 911 T. But this statement is spot on - this M2 CS is amazing in its pure and analog form. The power is more than sufficient and the driving dynamics are different from any other car you can buy.

I have been enjoying the 911 quite a lot, it is not a car that you can compare to the M2…..because there is no car like it out there, manual or DCT.

The 911 (at least T) is much more direct in every aspect - suspension, steering feel, seating position, power band and noise. It feels faster than the advertised HP, the manual trans needs more engagement since changing gears needs more force, the car sounds angry when PSE is engaged. If you are worried about the manual get the PDK. And I love the lines of the 911. It is just a car with presence. The worst is the base stereo though…..worse than my e36 M3 I had a long time ago.

If you can have both, keep the CS - you can always sell it later anyways. If you like trying different types of cars, just get the 911 since it is totally different.
Appreciate 5
M3R12168.50
F87EVO4033.00
Jimjamz4581.50
      10-20-2023, 03:39 PM   #28
///MPECABL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

I had been looking at newer 911’s… GTS, Turbo, potentially 991 GT cars, and knew that I could NOT keep the CS and venture into that kind of price point. Lately, I’m finding myself so enamored with the CS, and also looking at the 997 TT/TTS cars to attempt to stay in a more reasonable price point. For the money, if I’m careful, I could have both the CS and the 997 for a similar price point to a 991+ GT or even newer GTS models with options.

911 is still very much on my list, but the CS will be a really hard thing for me to get rid of!
M3R12168.50
      10-24-2023, 10:24 PM   #29
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPECABL View Post
I had been looking at newer 911’s… GTS, Turbo, potentially 991 GT cars, and knew that I could NOT keep the CS and venture into that kind of price point. Lately, I’m finding myself so enamored with the CS, and also looking at the 997 TT/TTS cars to attempt to stay in a more reasonable price point. For the money, if I’m careful, I could have both the CS and the 997 for a similar price point to a 991+ GT or even newer GTS models with options.

911 is still very much on my list, but the CS will be a really hard thing for me to get rid of!
You haven’t mentioned the wide body 992.1 T in your comparison. I’ve got a 7 speed manual allocated for next year. It’s less power than the GT cars and a lot less expensive. It also the lightest spec 992 with the exception of the S/T. And while the sticker price is certainly higher the depreciation is arguably low. In fact due to the price appreciation of the cars the 2nd hand 991.2T seems to be keeping its head above water in manual form even after 4 years.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-25-2023, 12:13 PM   #30
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Would have to be a GT variant with a high revving N/A to make me switch. Rear mounted turbo engine platforms can feel a little numb to me and I would need that high rpm goodness from a lovely N/A engine to make up for it. AWD and turbo takes this even further for me. I do have a 991.2 GT3 RS but would absolutely not want to daily it though. A GT3 would probably fit that duty much better but still the utility wouldn't be there for me either. A GTS might take this a bit further too and be worth checking out. The CS just shines here in that it is so much fun to drive and really can work well in any role as needed. Our seats at COTA for F1 allow us to park in the "exotic" lot in the paddock and did consider taking my Pcar until I saw the suitcase my wife packed for the weekend... Yeah we threw our crap in the Bronco and proudly took our spot next to a couple of lambros for the weekend Not that the CS is "exotic" (nor do I think a GT3 RS is) but you get the point.

I will say I have had to do a lot of the same stuff to my Porsche as with other platforms to up the enjoyment of the car for me - both on the street and the track. Brakes were swapped, full exhaust system replaced with iPE goodies (sounds absolutely epic now), just swapped all the control arms to get to the alignment I want, and added an aero kit. We are also awaiting our test kit from Nitron to dial in a custom suspension kit based on their new electronic line. Oh and its also going in to be stroked out to 4.5L in December

Appreciate 4
aparedes302.00
W///7494.00
M3R12168.50
      10-27-2023, 04:30 AM   #31
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoBlue View Post
I had been thinking if it was a good idea to upgrade to a GT3. Then i tried to learn more about each generation , and as expected each generation has its own character. The most important factor for me on a car is to generate unlimited thrills while driving on the road. No matter if its slow or fast.

If i was to buy a GT3 for myself i would consider an older generation to be honest since the 992 is just too much of a car for me. Its easy driving that thing fast on the road , because its just super refined. It needs a track to extract itself, its just too serious. I cant blame Porsche , its just the new gen , it has to be faster , more capable machine. Just like any other manufacturer anyway. And that should normally be a good thing , but faster doesnt mean better. - because there will always be something faster around the corner.

To me , although i have never driven one , its NOT the GT3 that im saying “thats the one , yes i want it , NOW! “

Id much prefer a 996/997 or 991 GT3 cars , or even a 981 or a 718 GT4. The 992 grew in size , and many say that it lack some character.

Anyway , in my opinion there is currently no Porsche that i would trade in with the CS. They re different animals , they do different things and although no one ever regret buying a GT3 from all gens , i think that if you re getting one , at least choose your favourite that matches your taste.

Back to the M2 CS , im in love with it! Its the car that im dreaming driving in 20-30 yrs and take me back in time , feel young again ; to remember all those thrills and places ive been with it. I [...]
Nice work my friend
F87EVO4033.00
      10-27-2023, 05:27 AM   #32
///MPECABL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
You haven’t mentioned the wide body 992.1 T in your comparison. I’ve got a 7 speed manual allocated for next year. It’s less power than the GT cars and a lot less expensive. It also the lightest spec 992 with the exception of the S/T. And while the sticker price is certainly higher the depreciation is arguably low. In fact due to the price appreciation of the cars the 2nd hand 991.2T seems to be keeping its head above water in manual form even after 4 years.
True… The T wasn’t out when I was making decisions about my 2022 992 GTS allocation, but by the time it did come out, I was already in love with my newly purchased M2CS. Now that I’m looking for a way to keep the M2CS, I’m back to trying to get something a little cheaper, which probably rules out the 992.1T, but it is a great spec of car with lots of reasons why it would be on the list if I was going to spend more money.
      10-28-2023, 03:12 PM   #33
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Would have to be a GT variant with a high revving N/A to make me switch. Rear mounted turbo engine platforms can feel a little numb to me and I would need that high rpm goodness from a lovely N/A engine to make up for it. AWD and turbo takes this even further for me. I do have a 991.2 GT3 RS but would absolutely not want to daily it though. A GT3 would probably fit that duty much better but still the utility wouldn't be there for me either. A GTS might take this a bit further too and be worth checking out. The CS just shines here in that it is so much fun to drive and really can work well in any role as needed. Our seats at COTA for F1 allow us to park in the "exotic" lot in the paddock and did consider taking my Pcar until I saw the suitcase my wife packed for the weekend... Yeah we threw our crap in the Bronco and proudly took our spot next to a couple of lambros for the weekend Not that the CS is "exotic" (nor do I think a GT3 RS is) but you get the point.

I will say I have had to do a lot of the same stuff to my Porsche as with other platforms to up the enjoyment of the car for me - both on the street and the track. Brakes were swapped, full exhaust system replaced with iPE goodies (sounds absolutely epic now), just swapped all the control arms to get to the alignment I want, and added an aero kit. We are also awaiting our test kit from Nitron to dial in a custom suspension kit based on their new electronic line. Oh and its also going in to be stroked out to 4.5L in December

This

if you are going to make the move, make sure it's a naturally aspirated high revving porsche ideally with a manual, that's when you will truly appreciate it was a move worth making

the ideal is to add rather than replace, but if you have to replace and you've never had a naturally aspirated porsche before, you owe to yourself as an enthusiast to experience it

I didn't know what I was missing until I got one, and it was a low specced 981 Cayman S!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 05:44 PM   #34
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

This car is so menacing!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      12-04-2023, 07:53 PM   #35
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Porsche GT3 RS 4.0 - best way to spend $600K
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 06:52 AM   #36
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

I have an F87 Comp and my last pcar was 991.2TT.

The TT was on another level performance wise but the F87 on par "fun" wise for me anyway.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
F87EVO4033.00
OG Shark4692.50
      12-06-2023, 03:19 AM   #37
alisag
Rep
Drives: going to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ss View Post

The TT was on another level performance wise but the F87 on par "fun" wise for me anyway.
I'm increasingly confirming my decision to purchase the F87, and your words once again convince me that I am doing the right thing
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4033.00
      12-06-2023, 06:53 AM   #38
m2ss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisag View Post
I'm increasingly confirming my decision to purchase the F87, and your words once again convince me that I am doing the right thing
Bang for the buck is unbeatable for public roads...
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      12-06-2023, 08:05 AM   #39
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:

That pretty much sums up perfectly my feelings on AWD turbo cars. Performance level can be utterly amazing but they can be a victim of their own success. They can be so capable that the fun factor can be a bit lacking whereas a FWD with somewhat playful chassis doesn't have to match that performance while still providing a high level of enjoyment. And in the F87 case the ceiling on performance is incredibly high too so you can have the best of both worlds.

Still one day want to put together a high hp awd track car likely a 911 TT variant - just pure business and see what it can do.
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4033.00
M3R12168.50
      12-06-2023, 08:26 AM   #40
m2ss
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Still one day want to put together a high hp awd track car likely a 911 TT variant - just pure business and see what it can do.
I believe the world record 1/4 mile is a 991.2 TTS with huge numbers and the ability to put the power down (Rennlist Turbo section). The overall chassis/engines of the F87 (I have both OG and Comp) make the drive on public roads a blast. I had a 22 RWD R8 Spyder but under 4k it felt like an A4 and sounded like one too (above 4k a whole diff world). The 991.2 TT also sounded muted but was on rails to the point of boredom...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 09:02 AM   #41
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
I believe the world record 1/4 mile is a 991.2 TTS with huge numbers and the ability to put the power down (Rennlist Turbo section). The overall chassis/engines of the F87 (I have both OG and Comp) make the drive on public roads a blast. I had a 22 RWD R8 Spyder but under 4k it felt like an A4 and sounded like one too (above 4k a whole diff world). The 991.2 TT also sounded muted but was on rails to the point of boredom...
Exactly - so good that they can become somewhat boring and numb to drive. My feelings on driving have evolved over the years to where that straightline stuff is all great but what really matters to me now is the overall experience and fun factor. The OG is a perfect street car - has the performance, playfulness, and sensory stimulus that hits just about everything. The C(S) is excellent as well minus the sounds (which can be made to be decent but definitely not a positive for the car). The E9x M3 with a bit of love is perfect imo. I do really enjoy my GT3 RS but I would not want to daily it. Once I have our Nitron test kit though that could change though. Have always liked the F90 M5 and thought it would be a great family hauler/DD type vehicle and have almost pulled the trigger multiple times. Always talk myself out of it though knowing that I would likely get bored very quickly with that setup. I have actually gone more backwards in my car preferences and picking up more cars of my youth lately and finding those to be much more enjoyable for me.
Appreciate 3
m2ss1790.00
M3R12168.50
      12-06-2023, 09:58 AM   #42
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Great post by OG Shark and many other folks here, there is no simple answer.

Since my last post I have been driving the CS, e92M3 and 911T for the month of November. All 3 cars are so different and I do not think that there are cars out there to replace either one of these. I am glad that I did not try to get into a GT Porsche and trading a car for it, or two (market is stupid!). The 911T, as a manual, now fully broken in, is a much faster car than anyone realizes. You can drive it lazily or angry, the powerband with the small turbos is amazing. The chassis is harsher than the BMWs but still can be a DD, the package just works. I ordered it with backseats to have more storage (and more Lizard interior accents). The CS has also a crazy powerband and is fun to drive, plus the upgrades from the Competition really shine (OG and Comp are also capable, didn’t own one). Now the e92 is a different show altogether, but OMG, just start the car and get rolling, warm it up properly and there is no substitute….wait isn’t that Porsche slogan

For enthusiast, all 3 cars are amazing, some prefer to keep their cars, other use them to upgrade or go back. Winter is here in the Midwest but weather has been warmer than usual, time to put 2 of the three in storage….

YMMV.
Appreciate 1
M3R12168.50
      12-06-2023, 11:45 AM   #43
NYNick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 74 tii 78 SC 20 M2CS

Quote:
That pretty much sums up perfectly my feelings on AWD turbo cars. Performance level can be utterly amazing but they can be a victim of their own success. They can be so capable that the fun factor can be a bit lacking....
This is EXACTLY why I sold my 997 TT. What's the point of owning the thing if you can't really have any fun with it 99% of the time you drive it?

The M2 CS isn't as capable. It'll bite you. Kind of like the way the old air cooled 911's would if you weren't careful.

I never felt that way with the 911 Turbo. That thing was always under control. Great car, but not really exciting.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 06:08 PM   #44
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Feel like I’m going to get an insane amount of heat for saying this, but here goes…

I’ve been contemplating my next addition to the stable - GT4 / GT3 always on the brain, but the more time I spend researching and thinking about it, the more inclined I am to get the “poor man’s” GT3 RS and just beat the piss out of it. Shelby GT350R. 8.2K redline on a flat plane V8 that sounds like a bat outta hell. It’s a Ford, I know…and it has the cheap fit and finish that comes along with that, but my logic is that that is different enough from the M2 to give me a completely unique experience, has the best exhaust note I’ve ever heard from a street legal car, is manual, and the list goes on.

Don’t want to hijack your threat with ford hate, but I’m saying this because you can keep the CS and add a decent mileage 350R for not much more than trading up to a higher spec P car. And not give a **** about it as you beat the pants off it at the track…
Appreciate 1
mtoosexy730.00