BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Latest BAT Sale not so hot?

02-11-2023, 10:49 PM   #45
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Yeah if I was to spend a good chunk of more money on top of selling my CS today absolutely it would be for a 991.2 gt3. But that would be about another 40-50k on top of selling and I just don't feel like spending more money at this time lol. Everything I saved last year I'm about to just do a balloon payment and payoff school loans this summer when the payment hold expires. Then I'll just save the last 6 months of the year and we'll see next year. The market should adjust a little too by then. Then it'll be either sell the CS or consider holding off for another full year and then add a proper car in addition to keeping the CS. If that's the case it'll most likely be either a LT McLaren, 458 or 991 gt3rs. Right now with how happy I am with my CS I'm totally okay just driving it as my only car for another 1-2 years, maybe adding a cheap car this next winter just for work milles. The only problem with getting a spare "cheap" car is everything is overpriced rn. I remember when I first started college I got a brand new v6 accord coupe for $25k and 0.9% apr lmao if only those were still the days
Appreciate 4
      02-12-2023, 12:15 AM   #46
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ of America View Post
This is really the key if you're not tracking, I am not sure I see the point in anything above the CS, unless you just prefer NA engines.
Au contraire, I am pretty sure there is a solution better than a CS:

Two CSs - in a perfect world, I'd have loved to have had a DCT as well as my 6MT 😉
      02-12-2023, 12:19 AM   #47
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah if I was to spend a good chunk of more money on top of selling my CS today absolutely it Then it'll be either sell the CS or consider holding off for another full year and then add a proper car in addition to keeping the CS. If that's the case it'll most likely be either a LT McLaren, 458 or 991 gt3rs.

I think the LT 765 would be a spectacular addition to any garage

I wouldn't ever sell my CS for any other car, but would happily donate the left kidney of my left neighbour, and the right kidney of my right neighbour for a decent McLaren 😜
      02-12-2023, 02:26 AM   #48
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post

I wouldn't ever sell my CS for any other car, but would happily donate the left kidney of my left neighbour, and the right kidney of my right neighbour for a decent McLaren 😜
Lmao I can help you with the surgical resections.
And I'm thinking more 675 LT. That with the mso roof scoop intake is 🔥
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2023, 02:33 AM   #49
Champ of America
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS, Jaguar F Pace SVR

Quote:

Good friend of mine had a 720S, sold it for a 488 Pista. He is of the opinion there is no such thing as a decent McLaren due to reliability issues. But regardless of brand or reliability, when you get into the 6-7-800hp supercars, they're just unusable on the road. I really think the CS, GT4/Spyder, and Lotus Emira are the upper limit of useable power for amazing handling 2 door cars on public roads. Unless you're an expert driver, or a total knob, you're not getting anywhere near the limit of GT3 and up type vehicles in public. So if you're not tracking, owning something like that is no longer a pure driving enjoyment proposition. Not to say they can't be enjoyed on the road, but definitely not to their full capacity, so it's more about making a statement, or appreciating a piece of engineering. Both of which are fine reasons if you have the means mind you, so I'm not casting aspersions
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2023, 03:18 AM   #50
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ of America View Post
Good friend of mine had a 720S, sold it for a 488 Pista. He is of the opinion there is no such thing as a decent McLaren due to reliability issues. But regardless of brand or reliability, when you get into the 6-7-800hp supercars, they're just unusable on the road. I really think the CS, GT4/Spyder, and Lotus Emira are the upper limit of useable power for amazing handling 2 door cars on public roads. Unless you're an expert driver, or a total knob, you're not getting anywhere near the limit of GT3 and up type vehicles in public. So if you're not tracking, owning something like that is no longer a pure driving enjoyment proposition. Not to say they can't be enjoyed on the road, but definitely not to their full capacity, so it's more about making a statement, or appreciating a piece of engineering. Both of which are fine reasons if you have the means mind you, so I'm not casting aspersions
I truly understand and, not so surprising, agree with you.

I've always had a soft spot for British cars; it's a diseases really 😉 - name me one British brand that wasn't almost always troublesome? Jag, Triumph, MG, Rolls Royce, TVR, McLaren, even Lotus; they were all a pain in the arse but a joy to have in your garage.

When Germans got in, there was some major improvement with Mini Cooper and Rolls Royce through BMW, McLaren somewhat benefited from BMW and Benz, and Bentley did it through VW. The Japanese helped Lotus and Ford rescued Aston Martin (at least financially).

But I do agree with you, where are we supposed to enjoy the true mettle of 800hp beasts on open roads?

I know Jimjamz had an Emira on order and I look forward to hearing his comments when it arrives.

I have a M4CSL waiting to go through customs but as much as I would like to say I love the car, I doubt it will ever hit 7000 RPM. I'm not even sure if I'd enjoy it knowing there will only be 23 specimen in the entire country; what's the point of having a car you're afraid to drive because some chomp might do the dirty on you out of spite or jealousy?

.... All of which brings me back to your point, M2CS is perfectly poised in the Goldilocks zone and that suits me just fine.

Update:

In South Australia, as of tomorrow, if you get caught doing 45kph (27mph) over the speed limit, you will lose your licence for 12 months as well as being fined $5000. You could also end up in prison for up to 12 months.

Do 10kph more, and you will be losing your licence for 3 years and your car with it, as well as just about a guaranteed 12 months in prison.

Who's going to be game enough to see how well their exotic car can perform now?
      02-12-2023, 03:20 AM   #51
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevils7 View Post
Lmao I can help you with the surgical resections.
And I'm thinking more 675 LT. That with the mso roof scoop intake is 🔥
You've got a deal on both counts - I've heard the 675 is a lot more fun than the 765

Now, when are you available for me to invite my two neighbours for a lofty dinner? 😉
      02-12-2023, 01:26 PM   #52
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:

I've always had a soft spot for British cars; it's a diseases really 😉 - name me one British brand that wasn't almost always troublesome? Jag, Triumph, MG, Rolls Royce, TVR, McLaren, even Lotus; they were all a pain in the arse but a joy to have in your garage.

When Germans got in, there was some major improvement with Mini Cooper and Rolls Royce through BMW, McLaren somewhat benefited from BMW and Benz, and Bentley did it through VW. The Japanese helped Lotus and Ford rescued Aston Martin (at least financially).

But I do agree with you, where are we supposed to enjoy the true mettle of 800hp beasts on open roads?

I know Jimjamz had an Emira on order and I look forward to hearing his comments when it arrives.

I have a M4CSL waiting to go through customs but as much as I would like to say I love the car, I doubt it will ever hit 7000 RPM. I'm not even sure if I'd enjoy it knowing there will only be 23 specimen in the entire country; what's the point of having a car you're afraid to drive because some chomp might do the dirty on you out of spite or jealousy?

.... All of which brings me back to your point, M2CS is perfectly poised in the Goldilocks zone and that suits me just fine.

Update:

In South Australia, as of tomorrow, if you get caught doing 45kph (27mph) over the speed limit, you will lose your licence for 12 months as well as being fined $5000. You could also end up in prison for up to 12 months.

Do 10kph more, and you will be losing your licence for [...]
A great summary of the state of play. It does show that to really enjoy the capabilities of some of these cars you need a track which comes with its own challenges. I think that’s the reason I’m going to cars I can enjoy fully on the road. Lower power, less stiff suspension, useable gearing within legal limits. When I think on your post, it highlights many of the reasons I’ve pulled out of going ahead with cars I wouldn’t be able to appreciate in regular public driving. I think if you’re tracking it changes the equation significantly.
Appreciate 3
jefe2000739.50
Davil6524.50
      02-12-2023, 01:57 PM   #53
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Au contraire, I am pretty sure there is a solution better than a CS:

Two CSs - in a perfect world, I'd have loved to have had a DCT as well as my 6MT 😉
ShaknBak has 2. Though I don't know if that's still the case, in DCT and 6MT.

Appreciate 2
ShaknBak114.00
      02-12-2023, 02:03 PM   #54
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
Update:

Do 10kph more, and you will be losing your licence for [...]
Yeah I wouldn't have a license there 😂 pulled an all nighter for an anatomy exam and tried to take a power nap...overslept of course..got pulled over at 120 mph (empty road btw I don't risk others, ever) got a lawyer to drop the speed down to 20 over the limit and it was my first ever ticket. Then stayed clean for like 8 years but managed to get 4 tickets in 2021. In my defense though the cop was a dick on two of them. Had to get to the hospital during peak covid times and highway patrol still didn't care. The other 2 were definitely my fault. Should've known better as I was also driving out of state (luckily no points from either) I got clocked at 80s in a 70. My local town cops were cool though, they all came to know the Austin yellow m4 I had at the time very well

My radar detector has saved me countless times but lidar will always get you unless you have jammers. I want to get AL priority but I just don't like the idea of a shop taking apart the dash for the install and then I'm left with creaks left and right, especially on the CS.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2023, 02:13 PM   #55
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevils7 View Post
Yeah I wouldn't have a license there 😂 pulled an all nighter for an anatomy exam and tried to take a power nap...overslept of course..got pulled over at 120 mph (empty road btw I don't risk others, ever) got a lawyer to drop the speed down to 20 over the limit and it was my first ever ticket. Then stayed clean for like 8 years but managed to get 4 tickets in 2021. In my defense though the cop was a dick on two of them. Had to get to the hospital during peak covid times and highway patrol still didn't care. The other 2 were definitely my fault. Should've known better as I was also driving out of state (luckily no points from either) I got clocked at 80s in a 70. My local town cops were cool though, they all came to know the Austin yellow m4 I had at the time very well

My radar detector has saved me countless times but lidar will always get you unless you have jammers. I want to get AL priority but I just don't like the idea of a shop taking apart the dash for the install and then I'm left with creaks left and right, especially on the CS.
Put a radar detector in your car here and you'll lose your licence and, for repeat offender, your car

I've been very lucky with cops - some of them are human and like good humour
      02-12-2023, 02:18 PM   #56
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
Put a radar detector in your car here and you'll lose your licence and, for repeat offender, your car

I've been very lucky with cops - some of them are human and like good humour
In the US, there's only 1-2 states where radar detectors are illegal and maybe half the States where laser jammers are illegal. Canada is very strict too from what I remember
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
      02-12-2023, 03:39 PM   #57
ShaknBak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F87 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
ShaknBak has 2. Though I don't know if that's still the case, in DCT and 6MT.
Lol yeah still true to_riffic

Misano Blue 6MT and Hockenheim Silver DCT.

Didn’t plan it that way, but both transmissions bring a unique character to the car and haven’t been able to stomach selling either yet.

GT4 waiting to ship out of Germany…that’ll scratch the NA mid engine itch.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2023, 03:48 PM   #58
Champ of America
Private
Rep

Quote:

Update:

Do 10kph more, and you will be losing your licence for 3 years and your car with it, as well as just about a guaranteed 12 months in prison.

Who's going to be game enough to see how well their exotic car can perform now?
Yeah, if I wasn't a bit of a track rat, I wouldn't be looking beyond the CS for a while.
As far as British cars go, funnily enough my Jags (F Type V8S, F Type SVR, and most recently F Pace SVR, have been astonishingly reliable), but I also don't tend to keep them long enough to discover otherwise.

Your laws sound horrific, I knew they were extreme but had no idea it went that far!
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2023, 03:49 PM   #59
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaknBak View Post

Didn’t plan it that way, but both transmissions bring a unique character to the car and haven’t been able to stomach selling either yet.

Well done!

Appreciate 1
      02-12-2023, 03:50 PM   #60
Champ of America
Private
Rep

Quote:

You, sir, are an inspiration!
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2023, 04:37 PM   #61
ShaknBak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F87 M2 CS

Quote:
Well done!
Didn’t you have a 981 GT4 prior to the CS?
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2023, 05:25 PM   #62
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Didn’t you have a 981 GT4 prior to the CS?
I sure did! Enjoy that high rev 4.0!

Appreciate 1
ShaknBak114.00
      02-12-2023, 06:25 PM   #63
m2ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
I think it's a general progression to want to go from a BMW to a Porsche. Nothing wrong with that.
Oh but it doesn't stop there, I went from BMW M cars to 911s to Caymans then back to 911s then R8s and then back to the M2C.

My best friend went from 911s to Lambo then Ferrari and settled on a 720s.

I simply get enough satisfaction from the M2C and I prefer under the radar...
Appreciate 3
      02-12-2023, 06:48 PM   #64
Champ of America
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ss View Post
Oh but it doesn't stop there, I went from BMW M cars to 911s to Caymans then back to 911s then R8s and then back to the M2C.

My best friend went from 911s to Lambo then Ferrari and settled on a 720s.

I simply get enough satisfaction from the M2C and I prefer under the radar...
This is a great point. I test drove a Huracan back in the day and preferred the 992, the Lambo just didn't do it for me, which people find incongruous.
Appreciate 1
m2ss1790.00
      02-12-2023, 07:16 PM   #65
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
A great summary of the state of play. It does show that to really enjoy the capabilities of some of these cars you need a track which comes with its own challenges. I think that’s the reason I’m going to cars I can enjoy fully on the road. Lower power, less stiff suspension, useable gearing within legal limits. When I think on your post, it highlights many of the reasons I’ve pulled out of going ahead with cars I wouldn’t be able to appreciate in regular public driving. I think if you’re tracking it changes the equation significantly.
Agree. That’s why I bought my Aston. It’s an absolute event to drive at any speed, even 60km/h. Totally analogue. Loads of glorious sounds, incredible steering, the right amount of naturally aspirated power (440hp), beautiful 6 speed gearbox, an interior quality that is out of this world, just the smell alone is a sensory experience. Being one of the last 200 ever made all bugs ironed out too and just the right amount of tech with CarPlay on the pop up screen and a 700W sound system. Driving it is pure therapy. Complements the CS so well too. Both end of an era cars in their own way.
Appreciate 3
      02-13-2023, 04:30 AM   #66
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Agree. That’s why I bought my Aston. It’s an absolute event to drive at any speed, even 60km/h. Totally analogue. Loads of glorious sounds, incredible steering, the right amount of naturally aspirated power (440hp), beautiful 6 speed gearbox, an interior quality that is out of this world, just the smell alone is a sensory experience. Being one of the last 200 ever made all bugs ironed out too and just the right amount of tech with CarPlay on the pop up screen and a 700W sound system. Driving it is pure therapy. Complements the CS so well too. Both end of an era cars in their own way.
What do you have? V8 vantage?
Appreciate 0