BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Interior rattle

05-09-2022, 01:31 PM   #1
gotcurry
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: None

Interior rattle

Anybody experience a rattle inside the cabin from the back of the car?

Sounds like it's coming from the rear deck behind the rear seats/head rest where the rear glass is.

Mostly under low rpm when you pick up the car from a stand still (manual car). Feels like the exhaust vibrations are making a loose panel move inside the cabin. I went back there and tapped around but couldn't locate the source.

All factory spec, only lowered on H&R but highly doubt that has anything to do with it.

I'm sure these are common on a car of the claibre but my OCD won't let me rest.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 01:46 PM   #2
killerdeck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2 CS HS, 6-sp, PSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcurry View Post

Sounds like it's coming from the rear deck behind the rear seats/head rest where the rear glass is.

Mostly under low rpm when you pick up the car from a stand still (manual car). Feels like the exhaust vibrations are making a loose panel move inside the cabin. I went back there and tapped around but couldn't locate the source.

All factory spec, only lowered on H&R but highly doubt that has anything to do with it.

It is probably one of the speakers if it is coming from that area. This has been an issue going back to the OG M2. The fix is to take it in for warranty service and they should add sound deadening (ie foam) to the area affected.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 02:14 PM   #3
gotcurry
Private
Canada
Rep

Interesting... Has anyone else had the same issue on their CS?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 03:23 PM   #4
NYNick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 74 tii 78 SC 20 M2CS

Didn't I read somewhere that this was commonly the back seat latch?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 07:17 PM   #5
gotcurry
Private
Canada
Rep

I'll take a look but it doesn't sound like it. Went for a drive again and its sporadic. Starting to frustrate me
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 09:57 PM   #6
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Take a look at the plastic covers for the child restraint attachments. It’s a common rattle point in the poverty spec M2s. Some felt tape usually does the trick.

If you journey outside the safe gated community of the M2CS section you’ll find some threads detailing common rattles in M2s.

Apparently even the CS spec is built on an econo car so, yeah, rattles. Next up is your door cards and dash.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 11:13 AM   #7
gotcurry
Private
Canada
Rep

Been doing some reading and I can confirm it's not the child seat anchor caps.. I actually found sponge under the caps, not sure if all m2s have these to prevent the rattle in later models.

Upon further inspection, I can replicate the sound by knocking on the rear deck. It doesn't seem like the sound was coming from the speaker housing but can't rule it out jsut yet. I found some threads about ppl stuffing tennis balls under the deck from the trunk area and apparently there are videos addressing this issue on YT.

Will need to find them but will report back.. if not, I'm going to have to go the dealer route.
Appreciate 2
      06-04-2022, 05:38 PM   #8
aka_m8rty
United_States
Rep
Drives: M's

Confirmed as well on my CS. Annoying but livable.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 09:07 AM   #9
killerdeck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Been doing some reading and I can confirm it's not the child seat anchor caps.. I actually found sponge under the caps, not sure if all m2s have these to prevent the rattle in later models.

Upon further inspection, I can replicate the sound by knocking on the rear deck. It doesn't seem like the sound was coming from the speaker housing but can't rule it out jsut yet. I found some threads about ppl stuffing tennis balls under the deck from the trunk area and apparently there are videos addressing this issue on YT.

Will need to find them but will report back.. if not, I'm going to have to go the dealer route.

Any updates on this issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 08:12 PM   #10
gotcurry
Private
Canada
Rep

Yes! The issue was the rear deck lid. I found an article in the regular M2 forums where a user fixed the issue by buying swimming noodles, cutting, and stuffing them up from the trunk under the lid.

Seems like the lid has some play from factory and the support form the noodles rectified the issue.

Last edited by gotcurry; 06-17-2022 at 05:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 08:45 AM   #11
killerdeck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes! The issue was the rear deck lid. I found an article in the regular M2 forums where a user fixed the issue buy buying swimming noodles, cutting, and stuffing them up from the trunk under the lid.

Seems like the lid has some play from factory and the support form the noodles rectified the issue.
Is your car not covered under warranty for some reason? I think this is the exact issue I had. The dealer took the rear shelf apart and added proper insulation and I have never had the issue since. Just curious why you didn't let the dealer fix it. Glad you got it handled!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 05:50 AM   #12
gotcurry
Private
Canada
Rep

Only because I don't trust the dealer techs to be careful enough when doing this kind of work, especially when removing peices from the interior to get to the shelf. This way I saved myself the anxiety and the issue was resolved fairly quickly.
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1211.00
      06-17-2022, 02:42 PM   #13
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Only because I don't trust the dealer techs to be careful enough when doing this kind of work, especially when removing peices from the interior to get to the shelf. This way I saved myself the anxiety and the issue was resolved fairly quickly.
I'm with you.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 10:37 AM   #14
Sebass
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

Yes, here's what I did that fixed the rattle with felt tape. Couldn't tell you if it was one or all of the points in combination causing the buzzing sound. So far, haven't had the buzzing sound return from the rear. Maybe with time it'll require fresh felt tape if buzzing returns.

1. Child Restraints Plastic Cover (Felt tape slivers under the plastic contact points)
2. Rear Seat Latch x2 (upper portion only to alleviate felt tape gumming up the latch mechanism)
3. Metal D anchors (Felt tape in between the metal and plastic)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 03:53 AM   #15
sm2key
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI 2018

hello everyone, i have a very disturbing rattle (sounds like a buzz metallic) only triggered when at certain rpm, happens at 1800rpm and at around 4800rpm seems from the trunk but i can't find it, have tried anything. any help?

i tried everything sounds metal on metal or metal on glass or a spring, very annoying
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 08:05 AM   #16
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebass View Post
Yes, here's what I did that fixed the rattle with felt tape. Couldn't tell you if it was one or all of the points in combination causing the buzzing sound. So far, haven't had the buzzing sound return from the rear. Maybe with time it'll require fresh felt tape if buzzing returns.

1. Child Restraints Plastic Cover (Felt tape slivers under the plastic contact points)
2. Rear Seat Latch x2 (upper portion only to alleviate felt tape gumming up the latch mechanism)
3. Metal D anchors (Felt tape in between the metal and plastic)
These plastic covers were definitely rattling for me too before I put in felt tape and that cured it
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 11:57 PM   #17
sm2key
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI 2018

Guys I think i found a major rattle fix... inside the boot if you lay down in it on top there at 4/5 holes on each side l and r, inside of one of these holes on both sides you'll see another hole with a black thing mounted on top, you'll just see a black thing on top, if you can put some felt tape in there the metallic vibration at certain rpm will desappear
Appreciate 0