BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > 2020 Corvette C8 an M2 Killer?

07-26-2019, 08:02 AM   #199
Trapperj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Reckon one will be able to rent one @ Hertz soon? I’d love to drive one but if that means dealing with GM sales person I’m out.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #200
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperj View Post
Reckon one will be able to rent one @ Hertz soon? I’d love to drive one but if that means dealing with GM sales person I’m out.
I forgot about the Chevy dealership/service department experience. The new Vette would have to be unworldly amazing to deal with that ownership experience. Imagine dealing with them with extensive warranty claims on a new Corvette. “Sorry sir the parts are not available for 2 weeks but you can sign out a Sonic as a service loaner.”
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #201
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.boost View Post
Some people care about image and what that projects to society. You don’t have to be insecure to care about your image, though you’re right that some do compensate that way. Marketing, sure. But it’s also how we unconsciously judge people and you can’t pretend that doesn’t exist.
That's the thing. If you fall prey to this way of thinking, then where do you draw the line? So you buy the Porshe because some people will judge you kindly. But others will think youre a pompous ass for overbuying too..And it doesnt stop there.. Your hair, your shoes, your physique, the way you talk, who your husband is, do you keep the right kind of friends, proper vacation, your house, the kind of food you buy.. Some people will judge you on each one of these things and more.. Eventually youve got to say, 'to hell with it; 'to thine own self be true' '.

Last edited by boostm3; 07-26-2019 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 09:10 AM   #202
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil///M View Post
If I would've known this car was coming, I would've never ordered an M2...
eh i had similar thoughts but i'd def not want to not have a car while I wait for them to work out the kinks and wait for the $10K off MSRP pricing that inevitably comes. I'll enjoy the M2C for a few years then will see about moving it out for a vette. it's so new, gonna take some time. I am not an early adopter type.
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #203
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil///M View Post
If I would've known this car was coming, I would've never ordered an M2...
Wait a few years then trade it in after the dust settles.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #204
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocan View Post
Wait a few years then trade it in after the dust settles.
That's kind of where Im at. Hopefully by then, allocations wont come at a premium and a long wait.
      07-26-2019, 10:52 AM   #205
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocan View Post
I agree with you here on all counts but reliability will be key.

The engine will be bullet proof based on its history I suspect.

Cooling on the NA as well.

The bespoke DCT will be an entirely different matter...
i still believe the aftermarket will come out with a manual conversion.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 04:13 PM   #206
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
i still believe the aftermarket will come out with a manual conversion.
I highly doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #207
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mm2 View Post
I highly doubt it.
Me too.. way too involved with its closely coupled ECU involvement. And even from a space perspective, it looks very problematic.
      07-26-2019, 05:28 PM   #208
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrunt View Post
I believe they were the GT2 seats. I am 5'10" at 200 lbs and the seats to me were comfortable. Battery power to the vehicle had been disconnected so the seats could not be adjusted.
The bottoms on the C7 seats are the same, only difference in the comp seat is the back. I fit fine but the left bolster seems to want to dig into my thigh sometimes. It doesn’t always bother me. The new seats seems to recognize that many complained about this.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 05:59 AM   #209
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
The bottoms on the C7 seats are the same, only difference in the comp seat is the back. I fit fine but the left bolster seems to want to dig into my thigh sometimes. It doesn’t always bother me. The new seats seems to recognize that many complained about this.
comp seat def looks like it has taller thigh bolsters too.

Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 07:45 PM   #210
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazet View Post
comp seat def looks like it has taller thigh bolsters too.

I think I’d be perfectly happy with the GT1 or 2
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 10:35 PM   #211
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I'm in agreement with the folks that are waiting until the kinks are worked out. With that being said I've been configuring a C8 to my liking. I'm still planning on getting the CS, but I think the C8 is making it easier to feel good about bailing if the price is absurd. The C8 isn't that much lighter than the M2. No doubt the C8 will run circles around it, but I question the around town fun factor. The quickness of the z51 package c8 has me wondering why folks would want the z06 for a DD. The LT7 is interesting. Coming from the 575hp f-type I don't think I'll be missing anything with the CS. 450hp with. 6sp will be bueno.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #212
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

I’m not a Chevy hater, as my last car was a Chevy SS sedan.

It was a tremendously fun car to drive!

As for the C8 Corvette, I just have to say, I could never get past the baboon-butt ugly steering wheel.

Ugghhh

Edit: To be clear, it’s the square design I don’t like.

Last edited by natmad; 07-28-2019 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 11:25 AM   #213
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
The new design is train wreck.
Having owned a few Corvettes before my German cars...The few truths about the GM Corvette has always been their performance numbers are never even close to what the owner can actually obtain. Case in point all the videos of the current Z51 Stingrays that struggle to get below 5 seconds 0-60mph. Even one video had a GM test driver trying to get the best times and was left at just under 5 seconds 0-60mph. Second is the horrific build quality from cheap GM controls the build materials will look nice for 6 months before they start to deteriorate and rattles appear everywhere. The exterior paint work will be thin and spotty at best. Fit and finish is not a theme GM has ever embraced as they build at a low quality price point. I would much rather GM build a high quality Corvette with better materials and charge $100k. Price point of the models shown at the release is perhaps high $88k usd?? Nobody wants the entry level Corvette as they are very low rent even by GM standards so forget the under $60k wow factor. You have to really hate your passenger to make them sit in the passenger seat as it looks as if they are quarantined.
Last year I tried to help my elderly neighbor do a few runs in his 2017 Z51 Stingray since he knows I have the tech gear to measure performance and our best Draggy times were just at 4.97 seconds 0-60mph.. It is suppose to be a “3 second car.” To put that in perspective, my latest 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport luxury/muscle SUV does 4 seconds flat with half a tank of gas and not using launch control with the same Draggy unit. Funny thing is the BMW can do those times all day long.

Break down of the new design:
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...3316385B719171

Last Z51 Stingray performance 0-60mph
Lol, quarantined passengers? Elderly neighbors? And then you post a video of Fast Lane Cars who are notorious for being the absolute WORST drivers on Youtube. They're utterly painful to watch.

Fact. My 240i runs 3.9x-4.1x on the Dragy, depending on launch/weather conditions.

Fact. I had a bone stock M7 C7 Stingray nose me out multiple times to 60, and he had a passenger and I did not.

Bash away on GM all you want. I don't care for the new design myself, but credit is due here.
      07-28-2019, 04:50 PM   #214
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Gator View Post
On the list for a new GT4. Disappointed with the new 4.0 specs no change with the ridiculous long gearing. My spec was about $115K.
Just put a deposit on the C8 Z51.
I'm not the only one jumping ship from the GT4 - the C8 is one of rennlists most popular topics.
I will say my 1M is a keeper.
Agreed. The torque on the 718 GT4 is too low at 309. Car is slow for a $100k car. Plus the engine is not the GT3 engine which was the rumor for over a year.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 05:33 PM   #215
BMWCompact
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
I don't see the M2 Competition and the Corvette as rivals, even if the base C8 is close in price.

One is a high performance German sports coupe.

One is a super high performance racer boy image sports car.

I'd love to be a race car driver, but I don't need to look like one every day.

No offense meant, it's just not for me.
They really are completely different demographics. GM has been trying to shed that midlife crisis/retiree image the Corvette has gained over the last four decades. I think secretly they don't care who buys their car other than when they demonstrate the C8 fitting two golf bags, it's still an indication they're aiming for the same old demographic.
Here's a thought - maybe GM is just demonstrating that the C8 has a practical side to it.

Not everyone who plays golf is old, as you seemingly are suggesting.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 05:54 PM   #216
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Kia Stinger 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Logan View Post
Quote:
Seriously?? You are kicking yourself for buying a "M Competition" car?? You are selling the M2C way short on its real world performance.
Have you ever owned a Vette?? If you can't tell the quality difference between a German car and Chevy you NEED to trade in your BMW on the new Vette. The more performance cars you get under your belt, the better the M2C will look. The new Vette can't be hyped anymore than what it is and curiously some people are taking in all this hype as the gospel truth of what the car actually is as if they have never seen a advertisement campaign. The last 3 "new" Corvettes claimed the same thing yet here we are again somehow believing this one is going to be different. The new Vette will be a dime a dozen soon enough so buying one won't be hard to do. Chevy is working over time advertising everywhere to change the image of the "look at me" old man demographic on his way to the Country Club. Oddly enough they still thought it was a good idea to show 2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk at the release party?
Yeah, kicking myself for buying a car that blew its motor and transmission without 3,000 on it on stock tune and all. Driving at like 45 mph and having your car let go is real fun.
Yes, I regret it over the C8. The quality of a C6 was pretty poor.. C7 was far better.. C8 is going to be on par.. Let's not kid ourselves, the M2C is the entry level M series car.. the interior is nothing even remotely special (worse than new premium Mustangs/2ss Camaros/Chargers).. You're fanboying HARD. Anyone who thinks the M2 > C8 is just kidding themselves. We're talking better motor, better transmission, better aero, lighter, mid engine... More space is the only counterpoint..but the M2 is a coupe.. we're talking 2 seats in the back that show the difference.

Put your fanboying to the side and look at these cars. I like both, obviously, but Chevy wins this battle.

Also many people find the M2 to be "ugly af", so that really means nothing.
I have a C7 and a my M2C I don't find the corvette quite as fun though. It's a way better performer, the M2 IS playful and that's the point, good luck getting wheel slip out of a corvette and if you do you're very likely gonna hit a curb or a ditch. My m2C allows me to have a blast with 4 people in the car and I can get some ikea furniture in the car. Let's agree that Corvettes are a insane performer, but day to day use and such, I'll keep driving my M2C. I'm sorry bout your bad experience though and I'm sure that has part in how you feel but you're definitely a rarity I'm 18k with no issues at all except the rear light which got fixed and never came back.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 07:01 PM   #217
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
not sure why everyone is hating on the build quality of current gen GM cars. My 2 series is far worse than my bosses by camaro in some regards. The design is not great but it is improving and the new vette interior is on another level. My 2 series creaks and rattles non stop. I've stopped investigating at this point because a new one always comes out.

This is my bmw and maybe my last because honestly, I feel they are a bit overrated. I do love my 2 series overall but for the price, there are some serious contenders out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 08:12 PM   #218
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protatomonster View Post
I have a C7 and a my M2C I don't find the corvette quite as fun though. It's a way better performer, the M2 IS playful and that's the point, good luck getting wheel slip out of a corvette and if you do you're very likely gonna hit a curb or a ditch. My m2C allows me to have a blast with 4 people in the car and I can get some ikea furniture in the car. Let's agree that Corvettes are a insane performer, but day to day use and such, I'll keep driving my M2C. I'm sorry bout your bad experience though and I'm sure that has part in how you feel but you're definitely a rarity I'm 18k with no issues at all except the rear light which got fixed and never came back.
The C8 will be far better. I cannot wait until the Z06/ZR1 variants are available.

My opinion on the car is different than my opinion on BMW as a corporation. I try to make that apparent, but lots of people like to just jump on my case because of my love for many cars. It is all good, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
not sure why everyone is hating on the build quality of current gen GM cars. My 2 series is far worse than my bosses by camaro in some regards. The design is not great but it is improving and the new vette interior is on another level. My 2 series creaks and rattles non stop. I've stopped investigating at this point because a new one always comes out.

This is my bmw and maybe my last because honestly, I feel they are a bit overrated. I do love my 2 series overall but for the price, there are some serious contenders out there.
Of course they are overrated... that part doesn't really bother me.. its more that BMW seems to cater to only a certain group of people.. They aren't concerned about being the quickest/faster or anything, and when stepping into a higher tier performance car, the "performance" aspect should be emphasized. If BMW "really" wanted to make the game in their favor, the S55 variants would be at least 500hp. Same deal for m3/m4.. obviously.. But they are going for sales (rightfully) over killing the competition.
I understand their position 100%, but just wish I could tell everyone the M2C is T H E performance car to get.. but it isn't. I just love the exterior (personal preference) and the DCT is pretty good (til it blew up, lol). The car is quick enough that it isn't embarrassing, but not quick enough to do the embarrassing, lol. When people say the QC is "far superior" to a lot of competitors, I see a lot of bias..honestly. It seems to be either at par or even below par..

Oh well, rant is over.. The M2C is an awesome car, but BMW leaves some to be desired.. as they always will AS it allows for the enthusiast to want to upgrade with every different variant they release.

Last edited by FSU_Logan; 07-29-2019 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      07-29-2019, 03:05 PM   #219
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Coming from the 575hp f-type I don't think I'll be missing anything with the CS. 450hp with. 6sp will be bueno.
How was the reliability on the f-type?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #220
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mm2 View Post
How was the reliability on the f-type?
F-type has been flawless. I'm quite impressed. The dealership said the ftype has been one of their most reliable vehicles across the range. I've had mine for almost 2yrs and 15k miles. It's very comfortable on long trips when not in dynamic mode.
Appreciate 0