BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Motor Mount Replacement Experiences?

06-09-2023, 08:11 AM   #23
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
As I work to change motor mounts, I am wondering if anyone has changed motor mounts by simply lifting the engine up. It seems that there is barely enough clearance - barely meaning not really enough. I am not sure I trust my Harbor Freight engine support bar to hold all that weight. I already bent one of the tabs on the support bar. Right now I am thinking that I'll try to jack up from the bottom along the oil pan to block edge while I use the engine support bar, but I am not sure how that will go. I don't have an engine hoist (yet)... I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
We used an engine support bar and a jack under the trans bell housing. If you unbolt the engine mount bracket from the block, you can get the mount out without dropping the subframe.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 08:14 AM   #24
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interested in selling your aluminum ones? If you're not tracking your car, I don't think the black Powerflex will melt.
Nope, they’re staying in until someone does a stiffer rubber mount I guess. I do 15-20 days per year on track. While it has some downsides, I’m hoping the mount inserts prolong the mount life. They aren’t fun to change…
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 02:43 PM   #25
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
We used an engine support bar and a jack under the trans bell housing. If you unbolt the engine mount bracket from the block, you can get the mount out without dropping the subframe.
Thanks. I ended up getting it with the engine support bar on some "stilts" I made. It also required me to remove the firewall to strut tower support brace and plastics close to it so that I could get the engine high enough to get the mounts out. I didn't have to lower the subframe.
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      06-09-2023, 11:40 PM   #26
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I ended up getting it with the engine support bar on some "stilts" I made. It also required me to remove the firewall to strut tower support brace and plastics close to it so that I could get the engine high enough to get the mounts out. I didn't have to lower the subframe.
Good to hear you were able to sort it out.
Appreciate 1
M2guru383.50