BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > First time I thought about selling my CS

12-14-2023, 09:12 AM   #1
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
First time I thought about selling my CS

I get the C&B email daily. This one made me stop and think I might rather have this. Kind of a childhood dream car of mine. Looks like similar specs are going from $125-$200K. Assuming it could be had at or below the absolute low end of that at auction, it would be worth consideration.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rMj...utm_campaign=n

I have expanded my car stable, so I no longer “need” 4 seats and a trunk. I don’t think I will do it, but am I crazy to even think it?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 10:38 AM   #2
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

The NSX was always a dream of mine as well. Unfortunately, I have had the occasion to drive many, along with the S2000 I once owned, and just point of fact the S2000 is pretty much better in every way...and it's still not as good/fun as the M2.

It's a hard thing to meet your heroes and for them to not live up to your dreams, but honestly, the NSX is that car. Don't get me wrong, it has great presence, and that rare + cool factor, but the drive is so docile, almost basic, like a really low Civic.

If you're buying it to look at, sure (make mine a V1 with pop-up headlights), but for driving fun I think the M2 easily beats it.

The only caveat to that is the feel of the engine and shifting with an N/A car, which I much prefer to that of a turbo car, as I love the immediacy of it (my other car is an Exige).

You really need to spend an afternoon in one to get what I'm saying, a simple drive won't do it.

And I suppose it all comes down to what you're wanting from your toy. I don't need a trunk or back seats in my M2 anymore either, but for the coin it just can't be beat IMO.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 10:51 AM   #3
E46M3forRay
Güdentyte
Rep
Drives: GT3 & 1M

Garage List
2023 Model 3  [6.50]
2022 T4R TRD Pro  [5.00]
2011 1M  [6.67]
2014 991.1 GT3  [10.00]
the NA2 will always fetch more over NA1. All the cool JDM cars in the 90's have gone up. An FD rx7 tt puts it up a notch higher than an nsx on my list but you can't beat the exotic lines of the golden era nsx and would be the perfect car choice for date nights with the wife.

I've also been looking to import to the US an r32, r33 or r34 GTR but the latter will hit close to $200k.

btw - i sold my M2CS and i don't miss it one bit.

SOLD - MB M2 CS | SMB F80 M3 CS | E90 M3 | E90 335i | E46 M3 Vert | E39 M5 | E34 525i
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 12:18 PM   #4
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
The NSX was always a dream of mine as well. Unfortunately, I have had the occasion to drive many, along with the S2000 I once owned, and just point of fact the S2000 is pretty much better in every way...and it's still not as good/fun as the M2.

It's a hard thing to meet your heroes and for them to not live up to your dreams, but honestly, the NSX is that car. Don't get me wrong, it has great presence, and that rare + cool factor, but the drive is so docile, almost basic, like a really low Civic.

If you're buying it to look at, sure (make mine a V1 with pop-up headlights), but for driving fun I think the M2 easily beats it.

The only caveat to that is the feel of the engine and shifting with an N/A car, which I much prefer to that of a turbo car, as I love the immediacy of it (my other car is an Exige).

You really need to spend an afternoon in one to get what I'm saying, a simple drive won't do it.

And I suppose it all comes down to what you're wanting from your toy. I don't need a trunk or back seats in my M2 anymore either, but for the coin it just can't be beat IMO.
Good feedback, thanks. I think the don’t meet your heroes thing sums it up. I’ve driven other exotics and have been less than impressed in real world driving. The S2000 would be a good car to add to the collection; I’ve always liked them too.

Damn, that NSX looks pretty though.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 12:32 PM   #5
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

The NSX is the next car on my list (think I have found the one I want too). Don't think you're crazy for thinking of switching - it's all about what you want and what will put the biggest smile on your face when driving. I find a lot of the cars from that era and a bit before really are just so enjoyable to drive. Would I daily them no - but for fun cars they are amazing. I have an R33 GTR and its freaking awesome - fully expect to enjoy the NSX just as much. An R34 will be in the mix too once they become eligible here soon and find the right one.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 12:38 PM   #6
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M3forRay View Post
the NA2 will always fetch more over NA1.
What are you smoking? NA1 Type R FTW.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 12:44 PM   #7
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Just some fuel for this fire
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
mfarrzhp1491.00
Jimjamz4583.00
      12-14-2023, 03:52 PM   #8
NYNick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 74 tii 78 SC 20 M2CS

There are better cars than that to buy with that kind of dough IMO. First on my list would be a 930. 'Course, I'm prejudiced.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 09:57 PM   #9
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoM2C View Post
The Japcrap thing has been done to death for me… had 5 MKIV Supras over the years, ranging from bone stock white TT6s to 1xxxwhp beasts. As well as a Datsun R34 GTR - which I found to be wholly overrated (so yes, I preferred the Supras). A few pictures I could find on my phone are attached.

With that in mind, unless you’re looking for a museum piece, stick with the CS, your wallet will also love you for it!
IMO, the NSX is next level compared to the Supra, RX7, 300Z and 3000GT. I considered those all Vette competitors. The Supra of course has major potential, but I’m not interested in anything with more horsepower than the CS.

Regardless, I’m glad I got that off my chest. The only other car I’ve been close to considering was the Evora GT and GT4 when it was a little closer in price to the CS.

I’m really trying not to sell it, but rather add. I think I’ll hold a couple years and see what happens with the GT4/Boxster Spyder or Evora (to add). I almost forgot about the Exige, that would be very cool also.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 03:29 AM   #10
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
The only Japanese car that i would consider its the Lexus LFA. Its a car that i might replace the cs with. I know its a lot of money (i remember it going for 300k) and there is reason for that - but that would be the only one. If it came with a manual too ? That might even be the best car in the world for me.
Attached Images

Last edited by F87EVO; 12-15-2023 at 03:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 06:45 AM   #11
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmercs. View Post
The only Japanese car that i would consider its the Lexus LFA. Its a car that i might replace the cs with. I know its a lot of money (i remember it going for 300k) and there is reason for that - but that would be the only one. If it came with a manual too ? That might even be the best car in the world for me.
They were all automatic (slow shifting too), and the $300K days are long gone. They are at least double that now, and great examples bring $1.5M.

That's one of those unicorn cars that was completely mistaken when it was released, and it took many years for people to figure out how awesome it was.

That car in a 6MT would be the GOAT.

Quote:
The Japcrap thing has been done to death for me…
So much JDM hate on this board. You sound like you needed to buy a Jeep instead, or maybe a Dodge?
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4033.00
      12-15-2023, 07:56 AM   #12
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Japcrap is a term that is sometimes lovingly used to describe JDM cars by enthusiasts in the UK.

So, no hate at all over here bud. I was just saying that I’d been there and done that so it was effectively checked off my list, and to be completely candid, I was left a little underwhelmed when compared to some of the Italian, British and German cars I’ve had since…
Crap = good. Interesting. Must be a backwards English thing.

Italian for the look and sound
British for nothing other than a Lotus or BAC driving experience
German for luxury or skip it
Japanese for price, reliability and community

Of course, that's stock/nearly stock, not "I can kill any car with 1200 hp" foolishness.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 09:22 AM   #13
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
“That’s the shit” - a term commonly used in the USA to describe something good - so let’s not start a debate about backwards linguistics.
It's not a phrase I use.

Quote:
There is also a trade off for all this reliability and value for money that you appear to have overlooked. To name a few areas where I find JDMs to be lacking; cheap interiors, rubbish handling and slow cars (the latter two are out of the box issues that can in certain cases be improved).
I think you're the one overlooking things. Check the price-point.

Quote:
Oh, did I forget to mention the Prius? The most popular JDM car of all time.
I didn't realize we were talking about commuter cars, and if we are, make sure to add in the Italian, German, and British trash for comparable money. JDM will win that game every single time.

Quote:
I’ll list a couple of cars for each alternative nation that I have either owned, or had the pleasure of driving, which IMO are all far better cars than any equivalent JDM available on the market in their time.

Lamborghini Hurucan Performante / Ferrari 458 Italia

Aston Martin DB11 / Rolls Royce Ghost

Audi R8 V10 Plus / Audi RS6.
You don't have to swing your dick at me, I photograph cars for a living and my list would make yours look like a child wrote it.

But that's not the point, again. Talk about comparable money. Do we want to get into how the R35 GTR kills all of these cars for under $100K? I would imagine adding $200K more to it would get you the better interior you so desire.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 09:35 AM   #14
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
What a big pile of dross. Your fallacious arguments have been noted. ����
Not the retort I was expecting. Are you going to tell me that the Japanese cars have been so behind the Italian, German, and British cars of every era in performance like they have with interiors?

At generally less than 1/3rd the price something had to go.

You might also look back at the old '89 Starion vs the Porsche 944 for proof of how Japan even bested Germany with interiors in certain cases.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 09:59 AM   #15
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
I’m not the one getting overly excited here bud. Calm down.
I'm calm, just stating the obvious really. I think your rose-colored glasses might need a bit of cleaning
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 10:35 AM   #16
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep

Garage List
This got out of hand. I just think NSXs are pretty. 😳
Appreciate 2
      01-05-2024, 08:21 PM   #17
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
They are very pretty indeed.
shhh, i know an ol' gal with one of these tucked away in her garage. She is widowed and this car hasn't been out of the garage since <2014. Black, 6-spd, low miles.

I passed on it once as a car to drive, but now i am thinking i should go back and buy it as an investment piece.
My buddy had one of these years ago. It was cool to look at but not very fast. It never gave me the "feels". Reminded me of a harder suspension'd 3000GT (VR4). Cool car to look at but could barely keep up Mustangs of the same period.
No, i will not be giving her phone number out to anyone. This is my back-up plan once the kids grow up
      01-06-2024, 07:59 PM   #18
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
shhh, i know an ol' gal with one of these tucked away in her garage. She is widowed and this car hasn't been out of the garage since <2014. Black, 6-spd, low miles.

I passed on it once as a car to drive, but now i am thinking i should go back and buy it as an investment piece.
My buddy had one of these years ago. It was cool to look at but not very fast. It never gave me the "feels". Reminded me of a harder suspension'd 3000GT (VR4). Cool car to look at but could barely keep up Mustangs of the same period.
No, i will not be giving her phone number out to anyone. This is my back-up plan once the kids grow up
I'd probably try to jump on that one. As an addition