BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > AA EL with stock back box

09-29-2023, 09:12 PM   #1
m2cs__
Rep
Drives: m2 cs

AA EL with stock back box

Anyone running just an AA EL midpipe with stock everything else? Looking for sound clips
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 07:50 AM   #2
swcc50
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Garage List
2020 BMW M2CS  [0.00]
I am not, but if you want to try it out, DM me. Ill work a deal on my AA El midpipe. I just changed to full Akra. So don’t need it sitting around.

The person who bought my Remus is running AA+ stock back box, I’ll ask him for a video / sound clip of it.
      12-03-2023, 10:59 AM   #3
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

I am - just installed it a few weeks back. Stock everything except for AA EL non-resonated, stock CS back box. I really love the sound of the full AA back box as well, but am an OEM+ fan and the CS exhaust tips look a million times better than aftermarket tips, IMO. Just reminds me of what true M tips should look like. Toying with painting the muffler matte black as a compromise, but for now, left it be.

Sounds incredible once warm, exactly what I hoped for. That said, I am experiencing the brutal cold start rasp issue many folks here are plagued with, and for the first few minutes of driving before warm, the rasp is there as well. AA saying adding resonators should help the rasp, with minimal impact on volume (only a slight reduction), but I really don’t want it to be any quieter at all, and I don’t daily the car so I just let it warm up for a few minutes before driving and open the valves right up…sounds fantastic, especially at WOT…legit exactly what I hoped for.

Had some rattle issues as well given tight clearances, especially with one bracket for the sound deadening up front near the gasket, it that was an easy fix (just ran my hands down the pipe and bent back anything close to the pipes (wish they included that part in the instructions as a final check). No rattles now.

New on here and will figure out how to post some video clips soon - pouring rain today on LI so probably sometime this week.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 02:30 PM   #4
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

I have the AA EL with stock exhaust. I wanted to keep the look from the outside OEM and also love the look of the stock tailpipes. Originally I went non-resonated but was way to raspy and so I changed to the newer resonators. I'm happy with the improvement in sound from stock but unfortunately for more volume an aftermarket exhaust or perhaps downpipes would be needed.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 02:50 PM   #5
NPTM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMD View Post
I have the AA EL with stock exhaust. I wanted to keep the look from the outside OEM and also love the look of the stock tailpipes. Originally I went non-resonated but was way to raspy and so I changed to the newer resonators. I'm happy with the improvement in sound from stock but unfortunately for more volume an aftermarket exhaust or perhaps downpipes would be needed.
Did the resonators remove all, or just most of rasp?

Do you still get the brutally raspy cold start?

What was your reduction in volume vs. unresonated?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 10:03 PM   #6
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPTM View Post
Did the resonators remove all, or just most of rasp?

Do you still get the brutally raspy cold start?

What was your reduction in volume vs. unresonated?

Thanks!
The resonators eliminated the rasp all-together. The volume was only slightly reduced. I failed to mention I have a valve controller and run always open and that makes a difference in increasing volume. I am happy with the set up. In a perfect world would like more volume but do not want to change the muffler. Lastly when I initially had the non-resonated AA EL I could not run open valves due what I perceived as drone/booming noises.
Appreciate 0