BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Write off or repair?

03-25-2023, 02:28 PM   #1
jtgdnet
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2

Write off or repair?

Hi All,

Me and my CS were involved in an accident earlier in the week which luckily didn't involve anybody else and I got away with just a few scrapes and scratches.

The CS however didn't fare to well, and whilst protected me really well, it took a front on hit and I'm not sure whether it would be written off or repaired - interesting to hear what you all think?

Anyway, my question is, if it were repaired, would you be happy with that and live with it (assuming that it was repaired properly) or would you be looking to move it on at the first available opportunity?

It may be that the decision is taken out of my hands by it being written off, but I just love the car so much and there is nothing out there that I can think of replacing it with so am debating what to do next if it is repaired.

Name:  CSDamage01.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  764.3 KB
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2023, 02:45 PM   #2
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Very sorry for you having to experience this. It’s good news you got away safely.

If this car was intended as a keeper and it could be repaired, then I’d repair and keep. Inevitably the resale is going to be significantly affected if it’s repairable, and at least you can continue to enjoy it going forward.

That all said, structural damage from this kind of incident could be throughout the vehicle. It’s primary job was to protect you (done well), and less so value preservation. If you do have to say goodbye as it’s irretrievable, then I hope you enjoyed every mile and will have some good memories to take with you.
Appreciate 1
Jophy61.50
      03-25-2023, 03:06 PM   #3
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
If I’ve learned anything from that guy Mat Armstrong up in Leceister, a lot of crash damage can be repaired very satisfactorily if you have the time and money. Massive structural damage is another issue, though.

https://youtube.com/@MatArmstrongbmx
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2023, 04:02 PM   #4
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

From the pic it doesn’t look that bad, I bet the insurance co elects to fix it anyway. Of course we don’t know what’s lurking underneath.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 05:03 PM   #5
NYNick
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 74 tii 78 SC 20 M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
From the pic it doesn’t look that bad, I bet the insurance co elects to fix it anyway. Of course we don’t know what’s lurking underneath.
The entire front end needs repair. God knows what kind of frame and engine damage is underneath. Could easily push the repair cost over actual value.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 06:05 PM   #6
jtgdnet
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all your replies.

To add some further context, when the car left the road and entered the field, there was a drop of about 6 foot and we then hit a gate and post, I really want it to be repairable and safe, but it just feels as though that’s not going to be the case :-(
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 06:12 PM   #7
AWDtoRWD
Private
Rep
Drives: 23' R1S & 21' M2C

How is that not a write off?

No chance anyone should be 'ok' with a rebuild from that

Get me on the phone with your insurance
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2023, 08:42 PM   #8
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

For me. Let's assume it's repairable and no frame/structural damage. It would depend how much I could get from insurance and how much it costs to buy back and rebuild. If I came out way ahead. I'd keep. If neutral. I'd take the money and walk away. No one is going to value a CS that's been through that kind of damage. However, it could leave opportunity to make a really nice build and put a few dollars in your pocket. And you won't be worried about resale anymore. But it also probably means your keeping it for the long haul because you won't get your money back out of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 08:46 PM   #9
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Here's an example of a car with rebuilt title and what they go for. This is a new listing. I'm still not interested. Guy has a rebuilt gt3 for 105k. They might be fine, but I don't think there's a huge market.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ibextid=dXMIcH
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 10:42 PM   #10
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgdnet View Post
Hi All,

Me and my CS were involved in an accident earlier in the week which luckily didn't involve anybody else and I got away with just a few scrapes and scratches.

The CS however didn't fare to well, and whilst protected me really well, it took a front on hit and I'm not sure whether it would be written off or repaired - interesting to hear what you all think?

Anyway, my question is, if it were repaired, would you be happy with that and live with it (assuming that it was repaired properly) or would you be looking to move it on at the first available opportunity?

It may be that the decision is taken out of my hands by it being written off, but I just love the car so much and there is nothing out there that I can think of replacing it with so am debating what to do next if it is repaired.

Attachment 3138484
I'm so sorry to see this, and at the same time, am very glad that you weren't hurt and are safe.

This just an opinion from an Australian who doesn't know how insurance works in your neck of the woods.

Here, if the chassis is not damaged, if the first if repairs happens to be excessive, the insurer may do an economic write-off which means the 'carcass' can be purchased and repaired privately.

The sale of the carcass usually happens in a salvage auction, however, at times, before you accept the payout, you can negotiate a deal to receive less but keep the carcass.

If it goes that way, you could potentially collect, sound or all of, your insurance payout and buy back the car. It might take a while to repair it, which means you'll need alternative transportation arrangements.

Just out of interest, what was the millage on the cast?
      03-26-2023, 03:31 AM   #11
jtgdnet
United Kingdom
Rep

Mileage was just 3800 :-(
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2023, 04:26 AM   #12
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgdnet View Post
Mileage was just 3800 :-(
Just a baby

I'm so sorry, thank God you're all safe

Check the chassis, that's going to be the determinant

All the best
Jimjamz4583.00
      03-26-2023, 10:35 AM   #13
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Another option if not repairable is to buy it back and part it out, but that's time consuming and requires much effort.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 10:40 AM   #14
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

As a a point of reference for what I would do. I've had this thought many times because I DD mine in the city. I'll look to rebuild mine if the time comes. I don't plan to sell this one and I love it. I'd miss it immensely if gone. I'd use it as an opportunity upgrade the brakes, maybe see about adding carbon fenders and trunk, as well as an exhaust and wheels. Down the road if even consider a tune. The limits open up a lot when no longer worried about its desirability.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 10:43 AM   #15
jtgdnet
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
As a a point of reference for what I would do. I've had this thought many times because I DD mine in the city. I'll look to rebuild mine if the time comes. I don't plan to sell this one and I love it. I'd miss it immensely if gone. I'd use it as an opportunity upgrade the brakes, maybe see about adding carbon fenders and trunk, as well as an exhaust and wheels. Down the road if even consider a tune. The limits open up a lot when no longer worried about its desirability.
That is a very good point, if kept, I would definitely be less worried about it as I have been to date - I'm just concerned that the quality of the repairs would be good enough/as good as factory, and importantly, as safe as factory - I've no reason to doubt they wouldn't be, just thinking about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 12:49 PM   #16
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
If it took a 6 foot drop first then honestly this car is probably done. As much as you hate to hear that I'm sure but with that much force, the entire suspension is probably compromised too. Look at the A pillars and down by the rockers and inner door panels to see if there's any crumples. Look at the front control arms too
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 05:15 PM   #17
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
So sorry to see this, and glad you made it out okay.

Very hard to tell from the pics, but it doesn’t look promising knowing how rare/expensive the CS parts are. Do you have an idea of what value they place on your car?

If they give you a fair amount, I’d probably total it if they are willing. You can get back in a CS for MSRP or slightly lower in most areas.

That said, if the damage is all cosmetic, and doesn’t require a salvage title, you can still enjoy it for many years.

Side note, I’ve recently changed insurance to Hagerty with an agreed value of $90K USD.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 05:21 PM   #18
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
So sorry to see this, and glad you made it out okay.

Very hard to tell from the pics, but it doesn’t look promising knowing how rare/expensive the CS parts are. Do you have an idea of what value they place on your car?

If they give you a fair amount, I’d probably total it if they are willing. You can get back in a CS for MSRP or slightly lower in most areas.

That said, if the damage is all cosmetic, and doesn’t require a salvage title, you can still enjoy it for many years.

Side note, I’ve recently changed insurance to Hagerty with an agreed value of $90K USD.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.
I'm not a collision expert. I would have expected to see ore damage in the fender area. However, even a slight bend is still a bend. Hagerty has good rates. Sadly, I drive mine too much. Liberty mutual has an add on that would help it get replaced, but still not as good as stated value.

OP. If you get a nice payout it could be fun to place an order for something else. Enjoy the memory with this one and try to get an Emira or something. You'll always have the memories of the CS.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 03:52 AM   #19
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I'm not a collision expert. I would have expected to see ore damage in the fender area. However, even a slight bend is still a bend. Hagerty has good rates. Sadly, I drive mine too much. Liberty mutual has an add on that would help it get replaced, but still not as good as stated value.

OP. If you get a nice payout it could be fun to place an order for something else. Enjoy the memory with this one and try to get an Emira or something. You'll always have the memories of the CS.
OP post some more pics if you can I'm interested to see the damage. But I agree, take the write off and move on if offered. You've experienced this in good condition and doubt it'll feel the same even if repaired. You could get another CS still or maybe pay a bit more for a gt4 or 991.1 gt3? Or try a F82 GTS if you want to stay with the S55 platform.

Btw I'm very surprised there was no airbag deployment from such forces it would've experienced due to the drop. How fast do you think you were going when you hit the gate?
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2023, 06:11 AM   #20
jtgdnet
United Kingdom
Rep

Here are some more pictures of the damage, what you might not be able to see here is that the rear light has actually popped out, I'm not sure whether its 'just' popped out or whether something has bent forcing it out.

I am also surprised that the airbags were not deployed (as has everyone that I have spoken with) - I would estimate hitting the gate at around 50-60 MPH, so should they have been?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 10:41 AM   #21
E46M3forRay
Güdentyte
Rep
Drives: GT3 & 1M

Garage List
2023 Model 3  [6.50]
2022 T4R TRD Pro  [5.00]
2011 1M  [6.67]
2014 991.1 GT3  [10.00]
sorry to hear and glad you're ok. But to me the car looks totaled. That is quite a substantial impact and everything to the front end and body panels to possibly even replacing most of the front suspension components will increase the repair estimate value.

Looks like you have a camera installed and also appears you have cup 2s. Any chance you can share the footage so we can assess the chain of events even further ?

SOLD - MB M2 CS | SMB F80 M3 CS | E90 M3 | E90 335i | E46 M3 Vert | E39 M5 | E34 525i
Appreciate 1
JD_M2D2390.00
      03-27-2023, 11:12 AM   #22
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Did airbags deploy? I assumed yes, but don't see them in pics. If they didn't that could be a good sign if salvage is in mind.
Appreciate 0